Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Moore

Person » credited in 6 games

Video game industry person. Not to be confused with the famous comics writer.

His game credits?

WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By WholeFunShow
    drbobbint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@wholefunshow: Don't really care about him any more. When you go out of your way to shit on your fanbase like he has, you've lost any respect I might have had for you. He's past his prime, the latest trades of The League of Extraordinary Gents prove that. I find it offensive that he thought it was ok to publish it. The only reason the editors didn't tell him to go back and give it an honest try was because he was Alan Moore. He took everything that made The League worthwhile, interesting, and special, and shit all over it. Couple that with his antagonistic remarks about people who go and watch the Avengers films. Who does he think buys his overrated promethea trades??? But then again, he might just be going senile, in that case I really can't fault him for acting like such a jackass, but it's more likely he started believing the hype.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Wait, what? This makes no sense. Are you sure that the Alan Moore of comic books is the same guy credited in these video games?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hailinel said:

Wait, what? This makes no sense. Are you sure that the Alan Moore of comic books is the same guy credited in these video games?

I'm almost positive that Alan Moore of comic books has never done anything for a game (yet), unless you count maybe being credited as "characters created by", but even that is unlikely considering his relationship with DC.

Reminds of a fun game, though. Next time you have to sit through unskipable credits, watch for all of the secret celebrities who work on video games. Michael Jackson sure had a prolific career. ;)

@drbobbint: Respecting a creator and his investment is his art is important to me. So I was about to write a lengthy response. But then I realized... I don't think I'll ever get through to someone who writes what you wrote.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@joshwent: Have you read some of the stuff he's said in the last few years? Cause I believe in being respectful too, but not to people who are all but insulting their fans.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: I've read a lot of it, yes. And honestly never saw anything that was nasty directed to people that like his stuff, or even fans in general. Just some backhanded things at people who insist on disrespecting his wishes as a creator, which I can understand. And people talk about him like he's some belligerent raving jerk just uncontrollably screaming fuck you at strangers. Everything I've seen him in, he's usually just speaking slowly and drinking tea.

I guess I must be missing something, because people sure do hate the guy now.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drbobbint: You did not create The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I did not create The League. His "fans" did not create The League. Alan Moore created The League, and has the authority to do or NOT do whatever he wishes with his creation. If he felt like ending The League by literally shitting on the pages, that would also have been his prerogative. It may have not entertained you, but it's his decision, not yours. He owes you NOTHING. Ascribing some kind of malevolence to the fact that he took something you once liked, in a direction you did not expect, is absurd. If the entertainment doesn't resonate for you, exercise your economic right and stop buying it, but to take it so personally reflects poorly on you.

As @joshwent said, maybe this is a waste of typing, but maybe you or someone else can move away from this toxic mindset, this irrational anger. It's no way to live.

Wasn't this supposed to be a lighthearted little thread about the shovelware that a totally different Alan Moore worked on?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: Well I don't really want to go digging for the interview and reading it to find the part I'm talking about, it's late, but I remember the last interview I read him in he made broad generalizations about modern comics and their fans, acted incredibly dismissive of the entire medium, implied that modern creators and readers are basically man children who don't understand real art, and that nothing of real worth has been done in the medium in the last several decades that wasn't created by him, even though he openly admitted that he doesn't even read any of it. When asked how he felt about people who enjoy his work and the stuff he disapproves of he basically said "Fuck those guys" in about a hundred of the nicest words possible. I mean I certainly wouldn't call him a raving belligerent jerk or anything, though that's mostly just because he's pretty composed and articulate when he acts like a shithead. He just seems like kind of a pretentious douche bag whose unappreciative of those who hold his work most dear, and I don't see how that's someone worth respecting.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alan Moore is clearly an insane, burnt-out, hypocrite. Anything that makes money is bad, but he makes millions selling off the rights to his properties and through book sales. He despises any media that he considers derivative of other media, yet lades his works with characters from other sources. He also claims to be a magician and worships some ancient Egyptian snake god.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This entry is obviously about an entirely unrelated person who happens to share his name. I'm going to edit it to reflect that.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jimmyfenix

"Video game industry person. Not to be confused with the famous comics writer"

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If it's a different guy... might wanna change that picture then...

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Can I just point out that the guy who made this thread was just asking about his game credits? Not opening up a discussion on whether or not Alan Moore the comic guy is a raging shit face.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zero_ said:

If it's a different guy... might wanna change that picture then...

We should just edit the picture to say "Not This Guy" with an arrow pointing at him.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alan Moore is clearly an insane, burnt-out, hypocrite. Anything that makes money is bad, but he makes millions selling off the rights to his properties and through book sales. He despises any media that he considers derivative of other media, yet lades his works with characters from other sources. He also claims to be a magician and worships some ancient Egyptian snake god.

I don't know why worshipping an ancient snake god is any more absurd that worshipping some bloke who claimed to walk on water and turn water into wine. But for the record, he worships Glycon, a Roman snake god. Who a famous satirist of the time claimed was not a real snake god, just a puppet. If you actually hear Moore talk about his god (he appears every so often on the Radio 4 popular science program The Infinity Monkey Cage) he always refers to worshipping a snake puppet. So it may well be that he is not insane like you say, but is making a point, either a humorous satirical one, or one about reality and imagination being the same. Or something else entirely.

Is past his creative best? Yeah, but then how many people are at their creative best at his age? Is he so wrong to not want anything to do with Hollywood versions of his stories? He's been burnt by the experience in the past, and so he decided to give up. Incidentally, has he ever said he thinks making money is bad? Because reading comments of when he sold the film rights to From Hell it sure doesn't sound like he thinks that. "Money for old rope" is a phrase used.

I mean it's fair enough to not like his views on modern comics or whatever, at the end of the day he's a grumpy old man, and all grumpy old men think everything was better back in the day and the kids don't know what the fuck they are doing. And it's totally right to ignore that sort of reactionary bollocks. So past his best? Yeah. Insane? Unlikely? Bitter? Probably. Hypocrite? No more than every other person on this planet as far as I can see.

And he wrote Marvelman, which was just terrific.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@beforet said:

Can I just point out that the guy who made this thread was just asking about his game credits? Not opening up a discussion on whether or not Alan Moore the comic guy is a raging shit face.

lol right. Hot nerd debates.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alan Moore could be the biggest piece of shit on the planet and it wouldn't change the fact that he wrote some of the greatest graphic novels of all time.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I read about him, the more I just don't know anymore. Let's just say the portrayal of him in the media varies from "he's the antichrist" to "he's Christ". I retract all previous statements made in this thread and consider him a complete mystery.

He did write some great stuff.

drbobbint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/22/alan-moore-comic-books-interview The interview where he calls modern superhero comic fans subnormal for continuing to enjoy reading them? I'm so glad I talked to a friend before picking up the last trades of the league, i thought he was having me on when he told me SPOILERS Allan Quatermain gets vaporized by a laser blast from "not HarryPotter's" dick.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hunter5024

@drbobbint: The interview Im talking about is actually older and a bit nastier, though yes, that last paragraph or two is exactly the kind of attitude that makes me dislike him.

@xalienxgreyx: Agreed!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.