Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Should I Keep Playing?

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By ZipCrash

I've started playing the game and have finished Episode 2 and just have not felt like playing. I started watching Twin Peaks after they had been talking about it during the ER and am almost done with it and love it. However I'm just not interested in the story of Alan Wake so far. Plus the combat is kinda boring and the levels seem to go on too long. So my question is, does the story get better and more interesting or if I'm not into yet am I never going to be? Thanks guys.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

The story takes some interesting twists and turns later on, and the environments and set pieces get a whole lot better. The combat doesn't really improve, though.

I say keep playing.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sarnecki

No.  The combat doesn't get any more complicated.  It's just more of what you're getting, and if you're not enjoying THAT, the majority of what's left won't interest you.  As for the story, it goes from the simple and fascinating premise to "Lost syndrome".  It becomes too convoluted and odd for its own good.  This happens a lot with me and Stephen King stories.  The excellent premise is ruined by being bogged down by a bunch of weird things that ultimately go nowhere(kidnapper plot line).  It doesn't sound like the rest of the game is going to intrigue you.

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZipCrash

Hmm I do like me some Lost but hate Stephen King for the most part. I don't enjoy the combat but if the story gets me more interested I can look past it. The length of the episodes seems drawn out. I enjoyed the part in his NY apartment, I can't just stand wondering through the forest for no good reason, wish those parts were shorter. I think I'll pop it back in after I finish Red Dead Redemption. Thanks for the reply guys!

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kishan6

wellllllll 
    u payed 60 bux for it 
    ur losing money by not playing it lol

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

If you don't like it by chapter 2 then you won't like it from then on.@Sarnecki said:

" No.  The combat doesn't get any more complicated.  It's just more of what you're getting, and if you're not enjoying THAT, the majority of what's left won't interest you.  As for the story, it goes from the simple and fascinating premise to "Lost syndrome".  It becomes too convoluted and odd for its own good.  This happens a lot with me and Stephen King stories.  The excellent premise is ruined by being bogged down by a bunch of weird things that ultimately go nowhere(kidnapper plot line).  It doesn't sound like the rest of the game is going to intrigue you. "
    The kidnapper plot does go somewhere. Somewhere important. I really can't see how you thought that was bad.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By cstrang

Alan Wake was a disappointment for me.  The combat was solid, yes, but not something that made me want to play more.  My motivation for finishing the game was largely story-based, but, IMO, the game failed to deliver the "Holy shit" ending that Remedy acted like they were going for.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust
    @cstrang said:
    " Alan Wake was a disappointment for me.  The combat was solid, yes, but not something that made me want to play more.  My motivation for finishing the game was largely story-based, but, IMO, the game failed to deliver the "Holy shit" ending that Remedy acted like they were going for. "
    Well for me it was very fitting, and the sense of seing every piece of the game fit together in the whole picture, made it amazing. :)
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By cstrang

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I was just expecting more...  Especially when it came to the story.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sarnecki
    @HandsomeDead: 

How was the end of the kidnapper storyline important at all?  The guy who hired the kidnapper and his entire participation in the plot could have been cut out without effect.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Sarnecki: It led to him knowing he couldn't trust Dr. Hartman and gave that character a lot more depth. It may not have been necessary for the direct storyline of finding Alice but it mattered for the world around it.
    ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZipCrash

@Tarsier:  No reason to be a jerk about it.

@kishan6:  Valid point :P

I like weird stories, I just had a strong feeling I already know how this is going to end so it's kinda hard for to me to care. Plus the combat, I'm just having a hard time forcing myself to play it. Just curious if it gets better, which some are saying it does and some are saying it doesn't so I may just have to push forward a bit more and find out.

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By kariyanine

I'm through the first four chapters and I was hooked from the beginning so I'm not sure if I can speak on you enjoying it more further in.  There are some interesting twists though that take the story in directions I was not exactly expecting.

Also, I agree the episodes go on a bit too long.

Turbofirejames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Turbofirejames

Play it. Even if you hate, you will be able to trash it. When people say "stfu you didnt play it!", you can retort with "i finished it, even beyond my best judgement." 
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @ZipCrash:  Perhaps some of that is just because the game has to get through exposition before it gets started? The combat at the beginning feels more like a disguised tutorial and the story is just fleshing out the characters, their motivations & the weirdness of Bright Falls. The first few episodes of Twin Peaks are not very good (at least imo) but after that it quickly becomes brilliant, so you might be doing Alan Wake a disservice in judging it so quickly.
    If the beginning has you thoroughly disinterested, then you might want to be rid of it in favour of a different game.
    ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZipCrash
    @Turbofirejames:  lol this is true, same reason I saw Avatar :P

@owl_of_minerva:  Good point about Twin Peaks.  I did enjoy those Bright Falls episodes that put on Xbox Live.

Thanks for the input everybody, I think I will hop back in and give it more time. This thread got way more response then I expected. 

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By HellBrendy
    @ZipCrash: It tops around episode 4, wich is the best. I found my sefl talking a lot of trash about the storytelling, shooting and all that, but overall I liked it. 
    mattbirdy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By mattbirdy1986

ive just finished it, i feel the ending dragged on a bit but its fully worth playing through 

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZipCrash
    @HellBrendy:  Good to know, I started playing some more yesterday. Spent about an hour (I think, felt like longer) playing episode 3 and god does that episode take forever. I ended up having to quit at a checkpoint because the end of the episode just never came. As soon as I got anyywhere, the game wanted to me to cross the Forrest again. ARG! I hate the possessed object thing, such a dumb concept. I died on the fricken bridge like 4 times and finally figured out to pop flares and keep walking.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Zereta

At the midpoint of Episode 3, you come to a realization that the game has something up. When you reach Episode 4, though? 

It becomes your GOTY.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By thatfrood

People complaining about the story is just baffling to me. A better story in a videogame there has not been in years.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sarnecki

It's getting there.

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZipCrash

I finally finished it and I'm glad I did. While I wouldn't say the story was the best in years in a video game I will say it was quite good. I'm just not a fan of the Stephen King style of story telling. If only the gameplay was better. They did a decent job of mixing up the situations in the back half of the game but I hated getting stuck in the attack animations, that's one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to video games.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By EthanielRain

I feel the opposite of what I've seen a lot of people saying.  I just finished episode 3; so far the story seems on par with a high school creative writing assignment, but I really dig the combat/gameplay.  Different strokes for different folks, I suppose :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.