Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alice: Madness Returns

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

Alice is back, and so is her fragile grasp on reality. She must journey through both Victorian London and the dark world of Wonderland to retain her sanity and find out the truth behind her family's deaths, in this long-awaited sequel to American McGee's Alice.

Sales.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Does anyone know how the game sold? I hope enough it's enough for a sequel and I haven't played it yet! I just feel that original games like this, Shadow of the Dammed etc should be getting sequels rather than Call of Duty and Halo. So, anyone have the sale figures?

Thanks.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

Not well, I think.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buft
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Does anyone know how the game sold? I hope enough it's enough for a sequel and I haven't played it yet! I just feel that original games like this, Shadow of the Dammed etc should be getting sequels rather than Call of Duty and Halo. So, anyone have the sale figures? Thanks.
    Alice is a sequel hence the madness returns part, i expect you'll have to wait a while for another sequel for it though
    Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Vexed
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Does anyone know how the game sold? I hope enough it's enough for a sequel and I haven't played it yet! I just feel that original games like this, Shadow of the Dammed etc should be getting sequels rather than Call of Duty and Halo. So, anyone have the sale figures? Thanks.
    What is with this weird mentality people have that Call of Duty's annual sequels somehow affects you negatively even if you don't play them?  If Alice sold poorly it's not because CoD fans went out and destroyed all the copies of Alice before people could buy it.  You should probably play it before you hero up for it, it's not even that great of a game.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By craigbo180
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    If you make a sequel to an original game then is it really still original? I would rather have a unique experience with a good ending and then a completely different idea in a brand new world.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By valrog

VGChartz says something around 70k, but that's probably not including DD sales. Though I hear VGChartz is rather inaccurate so I wouldn't go by that alone. Now, I don't know how the Top Sellers list on Steam works exactly, but Alice stayed near the very top for quite some time.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar

i heard a comment from a analyst saying it sold 10times more than shadow of the damned... if shadows sold 24k, then one would assume alice did 240k-ish

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Vexed What's not great about it? Looks amazing to me.

@craigbo180 I think certain game can hold up their uniqueness with sequels. Look at Portal 2, it's a sequel and is still unique, original and an amazing game.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By craigbo180
    @NekuSakuraba: Yeah I'm not opposed to sequels as a whole but usually I prefer when a game wraps up nicely. I fell like sometimes with a unique idea it is a bit of a cop out for easy money, if they came up with a really interesting concept then they are probably capable of making something brand new that is enticing as well. I enjoyed Portal 2 but it did not hold up for me on the same level as the first, they did keep it interesting though.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By valrog
    @Vexed: It's making people narrow minded. And being narrow minded is killing originality.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mnzy
    @valrog said:
    @Vexed: It's making people narrow minded. And being narrow minded is killing originality.
    Out of place CoD bashing is not very original, either.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By valrog
    @mnzy said:
    @valrog said:
    Out of place CoD bashing is not very original, either.
    Hardly out of place.
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By williamhenry

@NekuSakuraba said:

Just about everything looks great in trailers, but until you play it, then you really can't say anything one way or another about its quality.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By X19

I loved it but just rented it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hatking
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    You do realize that Halo and Call of Duty were both games that were original as well, right?   And that the only reason they turned into massive franchises was because there were enough people with your "these games deserve sequels, not Final Fantasy and Mario" style mentality? 

If you really want original games how about you ask these studios to move on from projects and create something new instead of sequels?
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By DeeGee

The first game sold very, very poorly and that was 3 years before Call of Duty even existed. So no, it's not making people narrow minded or having any real effect on sales of different and unique games. It's amazing how it even got a sequel, really.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ghostiet
    @NekuSakuraba said:

It's a decent platformer, for sure, but it relies too heavily on style. You will yawn after the first domain, I can promise you that, since the levels are just way too long and even the art style can't capture you for so much time. Also, the stylization loses steam after the first world (so ironic, considering the Mad Hatter's Factory is steampunk), only to regain some pump when you get to the Red Queen's Castle. There are also problems with narration - the motion-comicky cutscenes do a fairly awful job at explaining what's going on and it only leads to the game feeling cut into pieces before being shipped.

It's alright to play and it has a thick atmosphere all in all, but it simply overstays its welcome.

Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Random88

On the latest U.K all format game charts for the week ending July 9th.  Alice Madness Returns is number 35 dropping from number 30 the previous week.  The chart doesn't give you an exact number of weekly/total sales. 

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By zyn

Looks good. I'll buy it sometime later in the year.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mnzy
    @Random88 said:
    On the latest U.K all format game charts for the week ending July 9th.  Alice Madness Returns is number 35 dropping from number 30 the previous week.  The chart doesn't give you an exact number of weekly/total sales.   http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015
    That Transformers game on 3? Wow.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @HatKing
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    You do realize that Halo and Call of Duty were both games that were original as well, right?   And that the only reason they turned into massive franchises was because there were enough people with your "these games deserve sequels, not Final Fantasy and Mario" style mentality? 

If you really want original games how about you ask these studios to move on from projects and create something new instead of sequels?
    I'm pretty sure developers know when enough is enough. Sequels can be a great thing but greedy companies are milking way too many franchises. Are you telling me sequels, in moderation, are a bad thing? As I said, sequels can still contain originality.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By valrog

@Natalia said:

Whatever it sold, it should have sold more. This game is beautiful, in my opinion.

I agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.