Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens vs. Predator

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Feb 16, 2010

The third game in the popular AvP franchise. Players are be able to control one of the three deadly species in a fight for survival.

Lots of people complaining about broken matchmaking on PC

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

But..do not worry, there will indeed be dedicated servers along with a server browser. No idea why they decided to use matchmaking for the demo.

http://www.rebellion.co.uk/

Click "News". It says;

"We've identified an issue with the matchmaking system that is causing the very long wait times to get into a PC game, and hope to release an update shortly which addresses this."  
    and
    "
    In addition to the matchmaking functionality the full game features dedicated servers, server browsers, and the ability to host games directly."

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CL60

Use this topic, it posted twice for some reason.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

I can confirm that it's working tons better than it was now.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60

Also, please move this to the AVP board. I'm stupid right now I guess.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FunExplosions

As they said in the quick look, deathmatch is not an appropriate display of what the game's about. What's the point of having the Alien vision as an Alien, if other Alien players can just see you and hunt you down? It's basically whoever can rush the fastest and hit E. Also, dropping people into multiplayer without any kind of tutorial is completely non-representative of what the final product will be. It pisses me off that the predator seems really awesome, but I have no idea how to do... anything. Just gonna sit by for the reviews, I guess.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RsistncE
    @FunExplosions said:
    " As they said in the quick look, deathmatch is not an appropriate display of what the game's about. What's the point of having the Alien vision as an Alien, if other Alien players can just see you and hunt you down? It's basically whoever can rush the fastest and hit E. Also, dropping people into multiplayer without any kind of tutorial is completely non-representative of what the final product will be. It pisses me off that the predator seems really awesome, but I have no idea how to do... anything. Just gonna sit by for the reviews, I guess. "
    I'm hoping this is true because so far the demo makes the game look and play like ass. Well, ass from the late 90's anyways.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By crusader8463

Just finished playing two rounds of the PC demo, and now i don't want to buy the game. Just too many negatives from that experience to make me pick it up over another game that i want to get.

• Limited 8 player games. (at least in deathmatch)
    • Gameplay that consists of who can run around pressing the E key faster.
    • Gameplay that tends to boil down to finding an instant kill chain, then waiting your turn in line.
    • The game feels like every situation you get into boils down to a rock, paper, Scissor outcome, rather then a skill based one.
    • Trying to navigate the map as an Alien is just confusing and disorientating.
    • Trying to navigate the map as a Predator just feels clunky and dull.
    • Console like lobby system. (Assuming it doesn't get fixed for the live game, as they said it should be)

Most of these i think could be fixed in different modes, or if played on different maps, but i think this Demo should never have been released. It's going to turn people off of the game rather then onto it, as a demo is supposed to do. For me it came down to having enough money to buy one of two games in the next month. Bad Company 2, or AVP. While I'm sure the rest of the game might be good, and i may regret it down the road, I'm gonna have to go with Bad Company 2 after playing that demo. I was hoping the game was going to be more about hideing in the shadows, stalking your prey, leaping out when they least expect it kind of game. Seeing as how that is pretty much what the entire series is based on. Instead i got Quake III arena, with better graphics and a FPS that replaces the shooter with melee.

Maybe if i get lucky and win the lotto i will get both!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.