Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Apex Legends

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 04, 2019

A free-to-play battle royale spin-off of the Titanfall series, trading the series' trademark mechs for last-squad-standing action starring a variety of unique "Legends".

Did the game automatically download to anyone else's PS4?

full_bewst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey dudes, so here's what happened. Wednesday morning I got one of those "Thank You For Your Purchase" emails from PlayStation saying I had "purchased" Apex Legends. But the thing is... I didn't. I didn't, in any way, go onto the PSN Store to add it to my account or anything of the like.

First thing I did was log into my PSN account and changed my password. Then logged in to check how many PS4's I had activated on my Sony account, and it's just the one.

When I got home from work, I went to turn on the PS4 and found that the game was already downloaded and installed. I was able to delete the game and it hasn't reinstalled itself. So I have no idea what happened.

Did this happen to anyone else? I feel like there would be greater outrage if this game was automatically added to everyone's PS4/PSN account.

Trying to figure out if my account was compromised or if the game was forced onto the PS4 or what else could have happened. Thanks in advance for any help!

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By StrawHat_NPC

@full_bewst: on your PS4 go to settings>automatic downloads>tick featured content off.

I recommend anyone with a data cap turn it off. It downloaded Destiny 2 for me once and used up my months data.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Definitely didn't happen that way for me - sounds pretty odd.

I think changing your password etc was the right call

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consider yourself lucky to have it downloaded for you automatically. I had to browse PS store to download it.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow that is pretty odd. You're the only person with access to your PS4 right? I don't think Sony would force install games for people.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By lego_my_eggo

Changing your password is a good move, but also turn on 2step if you haven't yet. I assume that no one else at your house can get to your PS4 and log in and DL a game without you there? Are you logged into a PC somewhere someone can go to the web store and purchase and tell it to install to the PS4?

I have never got an e-mail for a purchase i have not made myself, nor had anything magically install itself. Closest thing was the few times Sony put an ad on the front of the PS4 menu that you had to "delete", and people where not happy with that.

full_bewst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: definitely turned on the 2step. I'm pretty cautious (if not overly cautious) about keeping track of where I log in to stuff online and logging out. But I haven't logged into my PSN outside of the console and occasionally through the app on my phone. Nobody was at my house when I got the email. All of this just seemed odd. If someone accessed the account but figured it wasn't worth it to completely hijack it, lol. But I'll count my lucky stars if that's the case. I sent an email to PlayStation support, but I've gotten more feedback here in an hour and no reply from them. Not sure what else I can do, but hope that my account isn't being messed with and that changing the password and turning on 2step will give me some peace of mind.

Refugee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you have it set up to automatically download recommended content for you?

full_bewst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@refugee: if that is an option, then I probably opted in without realizing it, lol. where can I find this option in the settings?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The games so good it wants to be on your PlayStation.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@refugee: That's a real setting? Wtf. With my bandwidth at home, that better be opt-in or I'm gonna be a lil upset.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.