Apex Legends is a free-to-play sci-fi first-person survival-shooter developed by Respawn and published digitally by Electronic Arts for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC (via Origin) on February 4, 2019.
A spin-off of the Titanfall series, Apex Legends brings a modern battle royale twist (similar to PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, the Battle Royale mode in Fortnite, and the Blackout mode in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4) to the fast-paced futuristic universe. As such, some of the series' traditional gameplay elements (including the Titan mechs and wall-running) have been scrapped.
Each standard match features 20 three-player squads, with each squadmate as their own unique "Legend" (similar to Heroes in MOBAs or Overwatch). Each Legend has their own unique special abilities to aid themselves (and their teammates) in battle.
As standard with similar free-to-play games, Apex Legends uses two methods for unlocking in-game cosmetics: direct purchases with multiple currencies ("Crafting Metals" for common items, "Legend Tokens" for rarer items, and "Apex Coins" for featured items, the latter of which can only be purchased with real money) and randomized loot boxes ("Apex Packs"). Certain characters, mainly newer ones, must be purchased with either Legend Tokens or Apex Coins.
Additional characters, cosmetics, weapons, maps, game modes, and quality-of-life updates have been regularly added since the game's original release. The game makes use of a seasonal Battle Pass system for time-limited premium rewards.
Apex Legends has Seasons lasting for 3 months each that introduce new Legends, weapons, and a battle pass system similar to Fortnite's wherein players progress through a chain of cosmetic unlocks by playing the game. The battle pass can be purchased for 950 Apex Coins, and by progressing through it players can earn back enough Apex Coins to purchase the next one.
Season 01: Wild Frontier
The first Season of Apex Legends launched on March 19, 2019, bringing with it the first battle pass and the first post-launch Legend, Octane.
Season 02: Battle Charge
The second Season of Apex Legends launched on July 2 and introduced the L-Star energy weapon, a ranked mode, changes to battle pass progression, and a new character, Wattson. It also introduces changes to the map after the large Leviathan beasts previously seen in the ocean make landfall.
Season 03: Meltdown
The third Season of Apex Legends launched on October 1 and introduced the Charge Rifle, a new map, and a new character, Crypto.
Season 04: Assimilation
The fourth season started on 2/4/2020 and introduced Revenant, a new bolt action sniper, and various changes to the World's Edge map.
Apex Legends features a robust pinging feature that allows players to communicate in-game through HUD icons and character dialog. A single tap of the pinging button/key will place a neutral marker, while a double tap will call out hostiles in that area. Players can also hold down the button/key to access more options. All items in the world, such as weapons, ammo, attachments, ziplines, supply crates, and more, can be pinged to call them out to squadmates.
Players can find a variety of weapons in the battlefield, each split into three ammo types (Light, Heavy, and Energy). While all weapons (with some exceptions) have the same rarity, weapon attachments vary in rarity.
In rare occasions, players can find special Legendary versions of a weapon (known as Fully Kitted weapons), all of which have a unique predetermined set of attachments (none of which can be replaced). In addition, some of the more powerful weapons (such as the Mastiff and Kraber) are also Legendary, can only be found in Care Packages, have ammo that cannot be replenished, and cannot use attachments.
- R-301 Carbine (Light) - Fully-automatic assault rifle with a fast rate-of-fire. Can be toggled into semi-automatic for better control. Can equip the Anvil Receiver attachment to fire two shots at once in semi-automatic mode.
- G7 Scout (Light) - Semi-automatic precision rifle. Can equip the Double Tap Trigger attachment to toggle into an alternate firing mode (where each trigger pull fires two shots in quick succession). Originally classified as a Sniper Rifle prior to Season 4.
- VK-47 Flatline (Heavy) - Fully-automatic assault rifle with a slow rate-of-fire. Can be toggled into semi-automatic for better control. Can equip the Anvil Receiver attachment to fire two shots at once in semi-automatic mode.
- Hemlok Burst AR (Heavy) - Assault rifle that fires in three-round bursts. Can be toggled into semi-automatic for better control.
- HAVOC Rifle (Energy) - Fully-automatic assault rifle that must be "charged up" (by holding down the Fire button) prior to firing. Can equip the Selectfire Receiver attachment to toggle into a unique semi-automatic "railgun" mode, allowing the weapon to deliver powerful precision beam shots (after a quick charge) for 5 ammo each. Added on February 20, 2019.
- R-99 SMG (Light) - Fully-automatic sub-machine gun with a fast rate-of-fire.
- Alternator SMG (Light) - Fully-automatic sub-machine gun with a slow rate-of-fire and less horizontal recoil.
- Prowler Burst PDW (Heavy) - Sub-machine gun that fires in five-round bursts. Can equip the Selectfire Receiver attachment to toggle into fully-automatic.
Light Machine Guns
- M600 Spitfire (Heavy) - Fully-automatic light-machine gun with a slower consistent rate-of-fire.
- L-STAR EMG (Energy) - Fully-automatic light-machine gun with larger, slower projectiles. Does not require reloading, but can overheat if the trigger is held down too long. Added on July 2, 2019. Originally a Legendary weapon prior to Season 4.
- Devotion LMG (Unique) - Fully-automatic light-machine gun with a rate-of-fire that builds up the longer it is firing. 54 shots per magazine, 216 shots total. Originally a base weapon (using Energy Ammo) prior to Season 4.
- Longbow DMR (Sniper) - Semi-automatic precision rifle. Originally used Heavy Ammo prior to Season 4.
- Triple Take (Sniper) - Semi-automatic triple-barreled precision rifle with a fully-horizontal spread. Can equip the Precision Choke attachment to "charge" shots (by aiming down the sight) for a tighter, more accurate spread. Originally used Energy Ammo prior to Season 4.
- Charge Rifle (Sniper) - Semi-automatic beam rifle. Each trigger pull activates a continuous beam that is slightly unwieldy and deals light damage, followed shortly by a powerful pulse of heavy damage. Added on October 1, 2019. Originally used Energy Ammo prior to Season 4.
- Sentinel (Sniper) - Bolt-action sniper rifle. Can be "charged up" temporarily by expending a Shield Battery on it, giving up to 90 seconds of increased damage against shields (with each shot shortening that timer). Added on February 4, 2020.
- Kraber .50-cal Sniper (Unique) - Bolt-action sniper rifle with very high stopping power and accuracy, at the cost of very slow firing. 4 shots per magazine, 8 shots total.
- Mozambique Shotgun (Shotgun) - Fully-automatic triple-barreled shotgun pistol with a three-pellet "triangle" spread. Can equip the Hammerpoint Rounds attachment for increased damage to unshielded opponents.
- EVA-8 Auto (Shotgun) - Fully-automatic shotgun that fires in a nine-pellet "figure-8" spread. Can equip the Double Tap Trigger attachment to toggle into an alternate semi-automatic firing mode (where each trigger pull fires two shots in quick succession).
- Peacekeeper (Shotgun) - Lever-action quad-barreled shotgun with a eleven-pellet "star" spread. Can equip the Precision Choke attachment to "charge" shots (by aiming down the sight) for a tighter, more accurate spread.
- Mastiff Shotgun (Unique) - Pump-action shotgun with chamber-fed reloading and a powerful eight-pellet fully-horizontal spread. 4 shots per "magazine", 20 shots total.
- RE-45 Auto (Light) - Fully-automatic handgun.
- P2020 (Light) - Semi-automatic handgun. Can equip the Hammerpoint Rounds attachment for increased damage to unshielded opponents.
- Wingman (Heavy) - Double-action revolver with high stopping power.
- Bangalore, Professional Soldier - Sprints faster when taking enemy fire. Her Tactical Ability (Smoke Launcher) deploys a shoulder-mounted cluster of smoke grenades. Her Ultimate Ability (Rolling Thunder) deploys a beacon that calls in an artillery strike that, after a delayed fuse, damages all enemies (while slowing down and blinding all players inside). Unlocked from the start.
- Mirage, Holographic Trickster - Automatically deploys a holographic decoy (while cloaking himself) when downed. Can deploy decoys while using the jump-pack. His Tactical Ability (Psyche Out) sends out a decoy manually to confuse enemies. His Ultimate Ability (Vanishing Act) cloaks him while deploying a team of decoys.
- Octane, High-Speed Daredevil - Automatically heals himself over time (at a slow pace). His Tactical Ability (Stim) allows him to move faster and negate under-fire slowdown (sacrificing his movement and ability to aim down the sight). His Ultimate Ability (Launch Pad) deploys a platform that launches players forward. Added on March 19, 2019.
- Revenant, Synthetic Nightmare - Improved walking speed while crouched. Can climb walls twice as high. His Tactical Ability (Silence) deploys a device that explodes on impact, creating a cloud that deals damage and disable abilities. His Ultimate Ability (Death Totem) deploys a device that anyone (friend or foe) can use to turn into a temporary "shadow" form. While in shadow form, incoming damage negates shields, and losing all HP instead causes them to return to the device at 1 HP. Added on February 4, 2020.
- Wraith, Interdimensional Skirmisher - Automatically detects nearby danger through "random whispers". Her Tactical Ability (Into the Void) allows her to phase through dimensions to dodge gunfire and make her harder to notice. Her Ultimate Ability (Dimensional Rift) deploys a portal at her position and allows her to run forward quickly to deploy a second portal for two-way teleportation. Unlocked from the start.
- Caustic, Toxic Trapper - Immune to the effects of Nox Gas (which normally damages, slows, and blinds players inside). Has Threat Vision against those in Nox Gas. His Tactical Ability (Nox Gas Trap) deploys up to six large canisters that release Nox Gas when shot (or when enemies are in close proximity). His Ultimate Ability (Nox Gas Grenade) deploys an impact grenade that releases a large cloud of Nox Gas.
- Gibraltar, Shielded Fortress - Can toggle a gun shield to block incoming fire while aiming down the sights. His Tactical Ability (Dome of Protection) deploys a dome-shield that blocks all gunfire. His Ultimate Ability (Defensive Bombardment) deploys a beacon that calls in a damaging smoke-filled mortar strike. Unlocked from the start.
- Wattson, Static Defender - Can fully charge her Ultimate Ability with one Ultimate Accelerant. Her Tactical Ability (Perimeter Security) deploys interconnected poles that forms a fence of electricity, damaging and slowing enemies that walk through it. Her Ultimate Ability (Interception Pylon), deploys a pylon that destroys incoming ordinance, repairs shields, and hasten her Tactical Ability recharge. Added on July 2, 2019.
- Lifeline, Combat Medic - Faster use of healing items. Improved revival speed. Automatically deploys a shield wall while reviving. Her Tactical Ability (D.O.C. Heal Drone) deploys a drone that slowly heals nearby players. Her Ultimate Ability (Care Package) deploys a supply-filled drop pod from orbit. Unlocked from the start.
- Bloodhound, Technological Tracker - Automatically detects recent clues left behind from enemies (such as footsteps and blood residue). Their Tactical Ability (Eye of the Allfather) briefly reveals enemies in close proximity through walls. Their Ultimate Ability (Beast of the Hunt) temporarily grants them enhanced movement speed, improved clue detection, and Threat Vision. Unlocked from the start.
- Crypto, Surveillance Expert - His Tactical Ability (Surveillance Drone) deploys an aerial drone that is remotely-controlled through its on-board camera (leaving himself vulnerable). The drone can be used to mark enemies for teammates, manipulate doors and chests, and receive deceased teammates' banners. His Ultimate Ability (Drone EMP) detonates the drone with a powerful EMP blast, damaging shields of nearby enemies (temporarily slowing them down in the process) and destroying enemy electronic gadgets. Added on October 1, 2019.
- Pathfinder, Forward Scout - Can detect the next ring's location by scanning survey beacons. His Tactical Ability (Grappling Hook) deploys a grappling hook to quickly reach hard-to-reach places. His Ultimate Ability (Zipline Gun) deploys a zipline towards a chosen location. Unlocked from the start.