Countdown clock on twitch is disrespectful and tasteless.

• 94 results
Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Daveydave

After the bombshell of Jeff leaving (with the weird ass statement) you now put on a countdown clock on twitch? Baffling.

poopydoop99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad

Avatar image for deactivated-647f76b346730
deactivated-647f76b346730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ihyfacecomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to ask this if it’s totally obvious to everyone. What’s the Twitch and Jeff G connection ?

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By christ0phe

Yeah, I find it pretty gross. I actually cancelled my sub an hour before the Jeff G announcement, but this countdown would have pushed me over the edge regardless. The timer plus the announcement post are leaving a very bad taste..

edit - misspelling

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A countdown clock to what?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not so quick to vitriol, to be honest. He's leaving, not dead. A countdown without context is just a countdown. A countdown Jeff might've pushed the trigger on.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

An announcement with no byline and no explanation given.

I know they don't want us to speculate, but we really don't have to. Yikes.

EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I would assume it's a countdown to the Bombast...? Sorry, I don't get it?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: The Bombcast from what I can tell. sounds like there will be announcements about staff and premium there.

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Clearly they are adding 4 more members and revamping the website which is why there is a countdown timer did no one read the post its pretty clear that they are changing the website and exciting to show everyone the new changes.

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's extremely tasteless

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disrespectful to what?

Don't be weird, it's not like he fuckin' died.

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daveydave

Let the announcement breathe, let people process that Jeff is leaving. Don't just get it out there and then start a countdown. For us who have been around since the beginning this is a big shift.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@efesell: Exactly.

People want communication, you give them a countdown to exactly when communication is happening and now that's disrespectful? People are just looking to craft drama.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Retris  Online

Let's just turn this into a hopes thread instead of Reddit leaking thread.

If Sean Booker finally fulfils his boyhood dream and switches from Gamespot to GB, I'm going to fucking freak out. I know it's a longshot but I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm guessing Tam might make the switch? He's been good on all the content he's been on in GB. Same for Lucy.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: A countdown is usually for something exciting happening, and it may very well be, but one of the founders of the site just left.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disrespectful how?

Please don't answer that question. I really don't see how them counting down to what is most likely the next Bombcast is disrespectful to anyone.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shindig

@retris: Yeah, that erm ... Borne to Run is chugging along nicely.

Avatar image for theodoricfriede
TheodoricFriede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of all the decisions they could have made regarding the recent news, this was one of them.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By BisonHero

I mean, it’s a momentous podcast that I think deserves a countdown. I don’t think we need to do some kind of mourning period for Jeff; he’s not dead, and the band already broke up a year ago, and I don’t know how many nostalgic GB videos you could retread again when Jeff is the only old staff member on site (and Jason) who was in any old videos.

So let’s see what tomorrow brings. Some kind of send off for Jeff? Site changes that seem good? Site changes that seem bad? Last podcast with Jeff on the crew? First podcast without Jeff on the crew? Who knows.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

@efesell: A countdown is usually for something exciting happening, and it may very well be, but one of the founders of the site just left.

Yeah, and I for one would like to follow that up with what it means going forward. They have a pretty small window to even have a chance of keeping my interest in this place as is.

I don't need a period of mourning for someone I'll be able to watch on Twitch tomorrow.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e25d72b6044
deactivated-63e25d72b6044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they could at least change the name of the site. Its not a GiantBomb anymore.

The whole gang is gone.

Tempa777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it feels like it was a RV idea to create hype and keep people interested after the main Guy leaves the Website.

I really feel bad for Jason, Rorie and Jan for having to experience this all. Wish best of luck to them.

This Website is now done for to me.

TurkBurgBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Jeff’s last day is today. It appears to be a countdown to what’s next, not a send off.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhhh no. It’s not disrespectful. Wtf. I don’t even…

Like how did you manage to make yourself angry about a countdown timer to a podcast. I’m so confused. But at the same time please no one try to genuinely answer me.

Avatar image for koolgoodmiracle
KoolGoodMiracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kopcik: You missed the entire point of the website if that's how you really feel. You're welcome to just never enter the URL ever again, I think its pretty selfish of you to claim what is or isn't Giant Bomb. It may not be YOUR gb, but that doesn't mean its gone.

So long

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't see the harm. It's sad Jeff's leaving but I couldn't blame him if he's tired of it after all this time. I'm looking forward to the next Bombcast, hearing about new hires and what the plan is & I'm pretty sure that's what they're trying to build up to with the timer.

stonepitbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, you guys are really weird... Calm down. Go touch grass.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The countdown thing doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. I don't know.

Avatar image for dropkickpikachu
dropkickpikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

having a hell of a time imagining jeff being upset about a countdown timer. you don't need to be upset on his behalf.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#33 Marino  Staff

To be clear, the countdown is to a pre-recorded video that will reveal the plans for the future of the site. The Bombcast will be a few hours after that at its regular time.

alexjimithing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disrespectful lol. It’s fine. Like sure I would’ve rather Jeff gotten to do a farewell pod and vids and such but it’s business- it is what it is. I’ll follow Jeff wherever he goes and there’s nothing wrong with the GB staff as it is now (and apparently soon to be) hyping up for their relaunch or whatever.

Besides if word is true and Grubb is joining he’s def a reason I’ll stick around on content.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uh, not really seeing the disrespect. a countdown is just a timer until we know what's on the other side-

things change- stay or leave, either way it'll be a-ok.

starrjack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Completely agree, they have clowned on that kind of shit in the past too

Avatar image for deactivated-63991c79611ef
deactivated-63991c79611ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's disrespectful from some people here to act like somebody died when somebody really did die years ago.

Jeff left. He'll tell us why and how if he wants to. "Disrespectful Countdown" seriously... man.

cosmic_witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

from one person feeling a mix of emotions over this news to another: touch grass.

JediMasterLex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mistercoke: it’s not a fair comparison of somebody dying, yes but it’s not far off as far as emotional connection being lost. Please remember some of us have had GB as part of their daily life and Jeff G since the original Gamespot days. I have followed Jeff & Vinny for almost 15 years, for 12 of it GB has been a part of my daily life so yes it can be compared to losing someone, in a way. Especially since it is unknown if he will keep a public profile going for us to keep up with like Nextlander did. Death no, Ryan passing was just as big but it was something Jeff, Vinny, Brad and others carried us through. All we have right now is an archive that is known.

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow, what a baffling thread.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

This whole thing has been handled poorly in my opinion. This isn’t how you part ways with someone as important as Jeff is to the very existence of the site.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedimasterlex: I think this is a weird comparison to start with yes, but also... it is pretty goddamn far off, actually.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

from one person feeling a mix of emotions over this news to another: touch grass.

Came into this thread to say this. Between this and people instantly turning into Internet Batman to uncover THE TRUTH, take a day, go touch grass, get an ice cream.

Mechanized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're kinda coming to conclusions before we really know anything. Just chill.

Nissi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nissi

They're counting down to the announcement of major changes to the site, how is this disrespectful? I'm sure many are waiting to see if they're sticking with the site considering their future plan. That being said I do hope they do a send-off stream for Jeff at some point.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By deckard

@nissi: Jeff already said he doesn’t work at GB anymore so I seriously doubt that’s going to happen.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

12:27:15 until Cody Rhodes

Hibbitybibbard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It's like SNL" is not a good way to plead the case when they famously ran without the founder and it was in decline until Lorne Michaels came back.

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate the countdown and hope it is another step towards better communication in the future. The site has been in a pivotal phase since last year, so I'm curious to see what their future is and who will be joining. I have been following the gang for over half a decade but completely fail to see how a countdown timer is in any way disrespectful. I would have appreciated a farewell message from Jeff Gerstmann or another staffer more than the corporate sounding news bulletin, but that might be coming tomorrow.