How is your internet? (How viable is always online?)

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How is your internet? (How viable is always online?) (39 votes)

I never have any problems 33%
I have problems every once in a while 36%
I have issues fairly regularly but it's manageable 15%
I regularly have problems and it's kind of annoying 13%
I have problems most days and it interrupts me constantly 3%
I am despondent 0%

So now that we're in the future of 2023 what's the general state of the internet looking like?

I'll be honest, i'm making this because i'm having internet problems which has been a regular issue for me since the 90's, back in 2012/13 Microsoft suggested the Xbox One would have a requirement to be always online, and while that didn't quite happen there are plenty of games and services these days that take major issue with losing connection, Modern Warfare 2 for example, currently i'm getting micro disconnects every few seconds which instantly drops me from the game and forces you to close it entirely, which is very annoying, back when i was playing the single player campaign a Steam disconnect forced me to quit and lose progress :S.

There are plenty of games that require you to be online now and services such as game streaming that depend on it, so i'm just wondering what the general state of peoples connections are, are you fully confident in our always online future? Or are you like me and everyone i know who can't maintain a connection enough to even consider it?

• 
brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm pretty happy with my own connection. I've got somewhere between 300-500 mbps down, it's reasonably priced, has no data caps and I rarely ever experience a network drop. My personal concerns with always online games are never with my own connections, but with how long companies are willing to support keeping their games up.

However, I think there are still wide swaths of the world that do not have access to good internet and have little to no faith in anyone solving that issue for me to say "Yeah. I feel good about an always online future.".

timoneous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I work from home, so any connection hiccup for me is very noticeable. In the colder months, I tend to see maybe 1-2 drops per day on the high side. In the summer, when the old cable infrastructure equipment is baking in the sun, sometimes it goes out for hours and I have to rely on my WiFi hotspot on my cell phone to do my job. Not ideal.

We pay $85/mo for 750mbps through the cable company with no data cap, but come springtime (after the snow is melted) we'll be getting 1Gb fiber through a new company for $55/mo. We'll see how well that fairs.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Lately, as in the last six years, I have had no [problems with Internet. It pains me to say that while I am probably paying too much for what should be a service the government caps at a certain rate, my Internet connection works. Tts fast enough to play multiplayer games, and it rarely goes down even during hurricanes.

dooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dooz

My internet is shitty and expensive. There are only two options in my area, and this is the best option. I get regular drops and outages. Less expensive packages have data caps and you get charged extra for going over. More expensive won't have caps but will still have the same drops and outages so it's not really worth it. There's no way I would use a cloud service like Stadia in my area.

Fuck ISPs.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

My internet cuts out completely randomly at least once a week, sometimes more. Stadia worked awfully for me, I would get disconnected every level in Orcs 3 due to connection quality and have to start over. I can stream videos just fine most of the time. I also can't reliably do steam remote play.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThePanzini

In the UK I spend about £40($50) for 70mbps no data cap with a landline I don't use which I could cut and double my speed, I cannot remember when my connection dropped last.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

my overprice comcast internet mostly works well enough, but my fiancee works nights n i've always been a night creature , and the net here habitually dropps on a multipul times a week between 3-5am at some point...ya know hours we actually Want to use it given our schedule, its pretty irritating when watching something , i don't want to imagine trying to play something.

on top of that myself aside its just not sensibly fessible for a large chunk of this country still at least , not but 30-45 from me a few towns over you still can't get bettr than dialup if that in certain spots, its pretty rediculous

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Junkerman

I pay 175 for Unlimited at 100mbs and frequent outages. This "amazing" option just came into effect a year ago and is a direct result of the pandemic destroying the entirely questionable ISPs long time stance that bandwidth caps were necessary to keep the system functioning due to the burden on the Arctics primitive infrastructure.

Before that I paid 175 for 200mbs down and a 300gb cap. It was ridiculous. I could download a modern game at the cost of my family having internet for the rest of the month. Overage fees were like 5 bucks per gigabyte over up to almost 500 dollars before it just capped out. One time my router was hacked and someone was leeching bandwidth off of me - that was a real shit show getting that problem solved.

Anyway I'm hopeful things like Starlink etc. will provide some competition and things will improve. Absolute joke that it takes everyone calling them out during the pandemic when internet consumption went through the roof for them to magically increase their services.