I finally decided on a TV for my PS5

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By berfunkle

BRAVIA XR A90K 4K HDR OLED TV with smart Google TV (2022)

I've been looking for a high end TV that is less than 50 inches and I found it!

What can I say? I don't like gaming on really big TVs, but I wanted HDR/120 HZ support.

In truth, I may not pull the trigger on this bad boy if it doesn't support ATSC 3.0 ( haven't been able to find out since it's not for sale yet ) or I'll wait a few years until it does.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Great choice!

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By AV_Gamer

@berfunkle: Interesting television since it seems to be the successor to the top of the line A90J Series which started at 55 inches. It seems like the technology is based more on a monitor than a standard OLED television. I would say wait until it comes out and look at some reviews before purchase, because there is no guarantee that a 2022 television will be superior to last years model, because sometimes corners are cut. But since you main issue is the size, It shouldn't be an issue, but it will be quite expensive. Have fun.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ares42

Word of warning, switching to OLED I've gotten fairly noticable "burn-in" from game UI. It's probably gonna depend a lot on usage, but if you play the same game for hundreds of hours it might become an issue. I also use the TV as a PC monitor, and after about two years parts of my browser has left marks as well. Some decent explanation why it's a bigger problem with OLED in the video.

Loading Video...
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@ares42: On the other hand I've been playing games on an OLED for two years now and have no noticeable burn-in. Most of my gaming sessions are only 1-2 hours long though and I very rarely exceed playing more than 4 hours straight.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possible burn-in is the reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on an OLED television yet, even though they do have the overall best picture quality, because my gaming sessions can get pretty long, depending on the day and the game. And you can get high quality QLEDs that come very close to the quality of an OLED, like a Samsung Q80 or Q90 for example without the burn-in threat.

MisterFrodo17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had an LG CX OLED for a year and a half now, and I haven't had any burn-in. I don't think I do too many sessions that go longer than 2-3 hours these days, though I feel like I've definitely fallen asleep with it on a game a couple times. (Thankfully, my consoles and the TV have a pretty good sleep timer iirc.) So I don't think it's for sure going to be a problem, but if you're someone who games for 4-6 hours at a time in the same game, it's definitely worth thinking about.

thelingo56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thelingo56

Can confirm that over 2 years with an LG C9 I haven't gotten any burn-in. However, my TV sees about 10-20 hours of usage on an average week.

Considering most seem to say that you need a static image to stay in place for 2500-3000 hours, I'm probably good for at least another 8-10 years. I've also read from a select few who have played FF14 for like 3000+ hours on OLED TVs with no burn-in issues, but obviously, take that with a grain of salt.

One thing to note though is that even if you can avoid burning in the panel, they will get dimmer over time. Burn-in is just the pixels dimming from overuse in a specific area.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Just a question about cost. Why buy the TV that costs $1200 more than ist top competitor? It is only 100ths of a percent better than the LG C1 OLED in most tests? Typically, I would not say anything -allowing you to choose what makes you happy - but the Sony is TWICE as much. That is steep.

Sure the smallest top trated LG C1 OLED is 5" larger than your ideal 42". However, to get that you are spending twice as much - just to be a tiny bit smaller?! You could save the $1,200 and in three years buy a television that does HDR better and is more stable at high refresh. Do what makes you happy, but twice the cost seems steep.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Are there TVs with VRR support yet? I think I might need to get one of those at some point, but I'm still pretty happy with my plasma from 2013.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

@rorie: The LG OLEDs have VRR since the 2020 series I think (CX, C1).

edit: and to contribute somthing to the topic: I have a C9 which I have used primarily for gaming and as a PC living room monitor (youtube, news websites, forums etc) for many hundreds of hours so far and there is zero burn-in.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AV_Gamer
@rorie said:

Are there TVs with VRR support yet? I think I might need to get one of those at some point, but I'm still pretty happy with my plasma from 2013.

Most modern televisions from 2020 onward, mainly in the premium range have VRR. Sony just recently added it to their premium televisions and are now working on doing so for their PS5 consoles. LG had VRR for a couple of years now with their OLEDs. Samsung also have good VRR on their premium sets. Even budget brands like TCL and Hisense have VRR on their more premium models like the 5-6 Series for TCL and the U8G - U9G series for Hisense.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Paliv

I prefer VA panels for my gaming office due to the OLED issues. I sit directly in front of my tv when gaming. I’d definitely get an OLED for the living room for watching movies with the family. But if your use varies content supposedly OLEDs are okay.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@rorie: My LG C9 does have VRR and it's been great at eliminating stutter in games like Elden Ring and Halo Infinite.

Casse1berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Casse1berry

@rorie:

I still have my Panasonic ST60 from 2013. Picture still looks great.