If Oppenheimer were cutscenes in a taletale game what score would it get on GB

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Topcyclist

Poll If Oppenheimer were cutscenes in a taletale game what score would it get on GB (23 votes)

1 star 9%
2 stars 9%
3 stars 9%
4 stars 26%
5 stars 9%
6/5 breaks the scale 17%
None of the above 22%

I see that the new movie's marketing or the forced meme worked ha.

(cant tell if the meme was created by people or the companies or the companies just rolled with it, seems likely can't imagine Nolan even cares to know what a meme is...)

- For those that don't know the meme is about Barbie and Oppenheimer releasing at the same time being unbelievably strange for some people causing them to force themselves to see both to stick it to the man or not, im not really sure. And show how both totally opposite movies can exist and be well received and/or people picking to see one or the other to stick it to some culture war, or Just sticking it to Marvel/Blockbuster films??? to show that people want smaller projects that are creative??? I guess, im confusing myself thinking this out now since technically these are based on things so it kinda tracks with why Hollywood keeps attaching money to easy to sell ideas vs wholly original story ips from scratch. Anyway they're supposed to both be great or good movies so that's nice.

So would what some call the best movie ever/this year...make the best story/movie for a telltale game?

• 
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1 chaser324  Moderator

I think Oppenheimer would be better suited to a format like Subsurface Circular or Paranormasight that focuses almost exclusively on dialogue.

But the real answer is that it's impossible to know. The bar is relatively low for video game writing, but it would still be highly dependent on how it was adapted to the medium.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason i'm thinking of Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, where you're a 3rd party involved in this event talking to the people around it... and the characters are represented as 2D animated cutouts.

No Caption Provided

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

while i don't entirely understand the spirit of the question (i haven't followed the culture surrounding barbenheimer), i think the notion of a biopic with any amount of dialogue (if not narrative) agency is interesting.

a lot of gamers get caught up in the concept of 'choice,' but if you're telling a specific person's story- there's both opportunity and potential pitfalls in allowing players to 'go off script.'

i think it would take a high degree of sophistication and finesse to weave in the agency while retaining authenticity.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Giant Bomb don't review games

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Yes they do, they have a review system and did one fairly recently. They tend to review games they loved though so most get high scores now, or they hated so they get low scores.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@topcyclist: I wouldn't say a review a year counts nowadays

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Yes they do, they have a review system and did one fairly recently. They tend to review games they loved though so most get high scores now, or they hated so they get low scores.

Dan reviews a game. He's the only person on staff with the inclination to write one. Assuming he isn't scribbling, "OH, WE SHOULD PLAY THROUGH THIS AND CALL IT THE BAKALARST OF US!" on some notepad for six hours of his work day. If he even works here.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: I remember jeff saying, before he left, that reviews are not vital anymore since you can just play the game yourself for cheap or see it played etc. Many on the site in the review he made about this, agreed with him. I personally don't but I get why he thinks this way given he's just tired or said he's tired of the format of the reviews of old days judging graphics, sound, gameplay, score etc. I also think games didn't always get reviewed this way but ehh i haven't read ever review. I still value reviews on this site and others and I could argue scores are messy since no one wants to give away 10 unless its mind blowing and that can happen so much and i think a game set out to do something and doing it well deserves a 10 as much as some game doing so much and omgosh its open world and this complicated system so it gets a 10. You can have a 10/10 amazing short simple game but you dont see that cause people cant justify the idea of a game like that getting that score, at least very often. Anyway back on topic, the crew does a ton, so i get why they don't make much reviews but they're still on the table. I believe dan also makes or suggest a ton of the hit ideas on the site like that bad game play through or the mario party etc. Seems the dude constantly works. Is he still doing panning the stream? (looks it up) ok no, but he's on other stuff.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@topcyclist said:

Look, I still love this website, but not because of timely and relevant coverage of new video games. Grubb kills it on the news front and rarely misses anything of significance, but with respect to coverage of new games, most big releases get maybe a single mention on the Bombcast and that's it. With anything that isn't a big AAA sort of release, it's a toss up on if it gets mentioned at all.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Telltale games aren't known for having amazing cutscenes, so if it's a good Telltale game and also the cutscenes are really good Hollywood movie level quality, then I guess it'd get a 4.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: That's how I feel. They cover games in a very fire and forget manner. Reviews might not hold the weight they used to but I'd take a written review over 5 minutes on the Bombcast easily.