Skyrim Remastered Remastered?

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok this is a stretch but after Microsoft bought Bethesda it seemed obvious that Skyrim would get added to Gamepass.

Maybe it hasn’t yet because a Series X remaster is in the works? Cheese wheels for days!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

It might also be a timing thing, especially if they are thinking about how to roll out stuff like Morrowind, Oblivion, and all of those older Bethesda games.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Technically the Bethesda acquisition won't be official until next year. "...second half of fiscal year 2021" according to NPR.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at Bethesda track record with Skyrim I don't find this impossible.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I find it mind boggling that people continue playing that game for thousands and thousands of hours.

Don't get me wrong it was a good game at the time, but even with all these mods what do you do for that many hours?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I'm pretty sure we all know what they're up to after they install the "clean faces mod" into their game, and we don't approve!

Seriously, though, some people just enjoy repetition and familiarity in games. There's a ton of content, especially with mods, so for people whose need for novelty in games is low they can just sort of do the same things over and over. It's no different from people who play the same arcade games over and over. There are folks out there still playing Atari 2600 games they've been playing for over 40 years at this point. Skyrim hasn't even been out 10!

Also there has yet to be an RPG in this style that's larger in scope than Skyrim was. Frankly the whole first person RPG genre has been pretty empty since the 7th gen. We have Fallout 4 and Outer Worlds (both sci-fi) and then...what? Kingdom Come Deliverance?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I guess I just come to it from the perspective of a person that plays a game and finishes it and then moves on. You probably just need that gene for repetition. I don't really rewatch movies unless a good long several years have gone by. I definitely do not re-read books. Especially now that I'm older and free time and just stamina to stay up and play games has dwindled significantly I find it hard to justify playing something I already finished as opposed to trying something new. So to me, hearing someone has put 2,000 hours into Skyrim because hey now you can make your guy look like Darth Vader so it's a completely new experience is like.. well yah.. but theres so many other cool new things out there.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I might love that idea ... I might be doing an on-the-side playthrough of Skyrim SE on my Series X at present ...

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: "So to me, hearing someone has put 2,000 hours into Skyrim because hey now you can make your guy look like Darth Vader"

This comment severely diminishes the insane efforts modders have gone through.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigsocrates

@humanity: I am also not a repetition gamer. I can't remember the last time I replayed a game I'd beaten and I have a very bad habit of buying DLC and not playing it because honestly I'm "done" with most games before I actually finish them. I liked Skyrim but I never finished all the major questlines (let alone all the random sidequests) and never even went through the DLC.

But there are some people who just love to play the same games over and over. I hear about people who are like "Oh I beat this game every year or so" and if it's something like Sonic the Hedgehog that might take an hour or two if you're really good at it I kind of understand but sometimes it's an RPG or something and I'm just like "wouldn't you rather spend that time on a new game?" Most of them respond that they don't necessarily want to play a new game when they have something that they already know they really like.

There's also the issue of gaming budget, which I do understand. Games can be expensive, especially when you're a kid. If you're old enough you remember the experience of playing the same rotten game over and over just because you'd gotten it for your birthday or something. I played the Karate Kid NES game for hours just because it was what I had, even though it's a bad game. Skyrim would have been a much better choice.

That's less of an issue now with deep online sales and, of course, Gamepass. But it's definitely still an issue. And trust me, replaying Skyrim with Darth Vader is probably 90000 times more fun than replaying that Karate Kid game.

Man. I can't believe how much time I spent with that. Video games used to be BAD!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikewhy: That was just a quick and generalized example I'm well aware some people put a lot of effort into total conversion mods and such.

@bigsocrates:There was a time in my life when I used to force myself to finish every movie I watched just to know the end, no matter how bored of it I was. I've been able to shake free of that habit. Unfortunately I still do finish all games I play out of principle. The last horrendous time I had with a game that I forced myself to finish was probably that indie game Below which I beat almost out of ire for the game itself.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I will definitely finish movies, but if I find them boring I'll usually be on my phone messing around by the end of them. I have a friend who just looks up the end on Wikipedia, which is a better use of time.

I force myself to finish most games, unless I really really hate them. It's not out of principle so much as that if I didn't do that then I would not finish most games, and I like having games finished and being able to talk about them, good or bad. I still intend to get around to Below because I really enjoyed Super Time Force, but I don't have a copy yet. Sorry to hear that you had a horrendous time with it. The last game I hated but forced myself to finish was Watch_Dogs. Then, for some godforsaken reason I forced myself to play Watch_Dogs 2 this year*. Fortunately I don't hate Watch_Dogs 2, but I'm at the point now where it's become a chore and I still have a few missions to go. It's actually currently the game suspended on my PS4 and the reason I haven't turned that console on in a while.

Anyway, the point is, if you had to play through Below, which you hated, and I had to play through Watch_Dogs, which I hated, then these people who are playing 2000 hours of Skyrim and loving every second of it have us both beat. Now I'm jealous. These Skyrim junkies are hording all the fun times!

*The godforsaken reason was that I was thinking of buying Watch_Dogs: Legion and I like to play all games in a series if I can.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well, the console versions might as well have 60 frames this time around.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@humanity said:

I find it mind boggling that people continue playing that game for thousands and thousands of hours.

Don't get me wrong it was a good game at the time, but even with all these mods what do you do for that many hours?

There are a handful of games that just "chill me out". As in, I can jump into them at any time and all of my troubles and worries and stress seem to disappear for a few hours.

This happens all the time with all sorts of new games, sure, but Skyrim is one of those "reliable handful" that I can just jump into anytime and forget about everything else, even after playing it over and over and over again for what will be a decade next year. Other games in this category include Metroid Prime, Minecraft, Dark Souls, and most recently, Subnautica. There's something about lonely wandering through weird and mysterious worlds that grabs me and holds on and doesn't let go, even when I know virtually everything there is to know about the game in question.

I don't replay most games, for the record, and most of my time isn't spent playing games I've already played. But I usually have a playthrough of at least one of these games hanging around, ready to go whenever I need it.

...that said, Skyrim doesn't really need another remaster. I'm not necessarily going to complain, but the vanilla 64-bit version already looks fucking great at max settings, high resolutions. I'd much rather see that effort go towards a full-blown Morrowind remaster. I know there are huge mod efforts out there to make that game look good and OpenMW is kind of amazing, but a properly-done Morrowind remaster with a full-blown AAA budget would be perfect.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I would like to see a modern Morrowind since that world is so bizarre looking and unlike your typical fantasy setting. Modern 4K Cliff Racers in stunning surround sound... now that’s nightmare fuel I can get behind.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, i don't intend on replaying the game for a while yet but i will some day, i want to replay Oblivion first, the latest remaster of either of those games would be the version i play.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By development

This will definitely happen. In the year or two before the next Elder Scrolls. In my dreams they redo all the music so Jeremy Soule doesn't profit from it but no way in hell do they put in that much effort.

lalaGez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely think it's a timing thing.

cadilla430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not giving them another dollar for a remake......but an actual remaster could have my 60 dollars

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm done with this game. I was done back in December 2011.