• 78 results
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

No Caption Provided

Hello folks. I usually make one of these topics every time there are one of these things to spread the good word. Now I know a lot of you already know what to expect BUT if you haven't watched one of these or even know what Games Done Quick is I got a mini FAQ below.

What is Games Done Quick?

"Games done Quick" is a week long marathon where a bunch of speed runners from the SDA and other speed running communities come together to play games and raise money for a good cause. There are two annual events. Awesome Games Done Quick and its sister event Summer Games Done Quick.

What is money being raised for?

All money raised during this event will go to Doctors Without Borders. Doctors Without Borders is a medical aid organization that is not affiliated with any country or cause and provides aid to everyone in need.

What games are being played?

You can check out the schedule righthere.

Where Can I watch?

You can check the action out starting on the 3rd on GDQ's Twitch page or if you would rather hang out with Giantbomb Duders mod @chaser324 like last year I'll see if he can embed the stream into Explosive Runs.

This year however you all have another option to chat! @nikral this year has cultivated quite a following on his Unofficial Official Giantbomb Discord server. We have a livestream channel where we all chat about whatever GB stream is on at the moment. If you would like to join the discord server to chat about SGDQ or just join to chat in general you can find us here: https://discord.gg/0aqJaW1chMpCwYd5

Where Can I Donate?

I will update the donate link when it is available. You can view the donation list, prizes and more here.

Community Donation Efforts

Each event for fun the Giantbomb Community decides on a donation incentive to pool all of our money towards. Some past examples are donating to name Yoshi "Gerstmann" in Paper Mario and naming Robo "RyanD" in honor of the Rough Tough and Dangerous Ryan Davis. Once everyone collectively decides on what everyone should donate to I'll update this spot.

Old Stuff! Get yourself Hype!

You can catch up on the last event and plenty more by going over to the GDQ YouTube Page where they have playlists for entire events including the previous event.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2 BeachThunder  Online

Well, it would make sense to honour Austin for the donation. And this time the charity is MSF, which is arguably the best charity out there.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks to Metal Gear, that acronym is ruined for me. "Give us Medicine... <Zeke appears with a red cross on>

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By atomicoldman

The majority of the shirts I own are from the promotions Yetee runs during these, looking forward to picking more up.

Also looking forward to the inevitable compilation of cringe-worthy moments from the event. Maybe this year will be the one to top the Tomba or Crash Bandicoot disasters.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BeachThunder  Online

I don't think the donation incentives have been announced yet, but there a whole bunch of games that obviously will have name incentives: Pokemon, Zeldas, Fallouts, Final Fantasy, etc... I'm just not exactly sure if any of them are games that Austin's a huge fan of.

But we can decide generally what we want the name to be. We could just go with "Austin" or we could do something more obscure like "Underscore" or "RememberthatD".

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Weetrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Weetrick

Oh wow, that Gerstman Loves Yoshi video... "game journalist" hahahaha

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Got that week booked off work and am ready for some runs!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Looking forward to hanging with all of the duders in the Explosive Runs chat when I have the opportunity so we can yell at each other about Metal Gear controls.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Oh nice, always fun to pop in now and then to watch a one-handed Vanquish run or something.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shindig

@fredchuckdave said:

Cube Face'll be good, other than that only a few interesting things this time around. No F-Zero No Tetris.

Tetris Grandmasters exhibition is on the schedule. Wait. No it's not. Tetris Attack is. Huh. WAIT: YES IT IS!

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I am so ready for this. These speedrunners always manage to surprise me.

dovah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will there be another post about this when it starts? And not just in the community section. I want to donate to name something for Austin, but I'm afraid I won't know when it is happening.

Thanks.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Schedule looks great this year! Can't wait to tune in. Speedrunners blow my mind.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BeachThunder  Online

Donations are up. There are a bunch of incentives for names:

• Link Between Worlds - file name. 10 character limit - no more than 5 characters can be numbers.
  • Demon's Souls - file name. Up to 17 Characters, using numbers, letters, and generic shift-key symbols.
  • Tony Hawk's Underground - Name the Pro Skater Team. 15 character limit.
  • KotOR - Player name. 18 character limit.
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - file name. 8 characters, no numbers, standard punctuation except question mark, skull and crucifix.
  • Klonoa Door to Phantomile - file name. 8 character limit - letters (upper and lowercase) and !?., punctuation.
  • Fallout 4 - file name. 26 character limit.
  • Final Fantasy Adventure - Name Boy or Girl. 4 character limit.
  • FFVI - Name characters (Cyan, Edgar, Gau, Locke, Relm, Sabin, Setzer, Shadow, Strago, Terra). 6 character limit.

I know Austin in a fan of KotOR (mainly the second game, but, well, they're only playing the first one). So, I'm proposing we name the KotOR character "RememberThatD".

It's a reference to the Austin/Vinny Quick Look of King of Dragon Pass (another game that Austin is a fan of). That name always makes me laugh (also, as a bonus, I'm hoping it will confuse a bunch of people at SGDQ).

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: How often does KoTOR even use the character's name?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Oh, YOU! I've been looking for YOU. How did you find YOU?"

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mainstream recognitions could lead to mainstream level donations!

Loading Video...

Sadly I am utterly broke so I probably won't be able to donate anything, let alone help push Giant Bomb to another glorious bidding war victory.

dovah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dovah

I will donate if someone just tells me what and when. Message me if not too much trouble because I will forgot to check this thread. Sorry but I know I will.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hassun: Yeah, seeing that clip from Colbert was crazy. Still weird to think that a TV show that has on famous actors and ends the segment with "Independence Day will be in theatres this Friday" or whatever has now also had on a speedrunner and ended the segment with "Summer Games Done Quick runs July 3rd through 10".

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I'm for giving a Austin-related name to something. Just tell me where to put my money towards.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Not sure if I'm gonna donate this year but will probably end up cracking anyway no matter how much money I have. I'll be missing the bulk of it unfortunately but hopefully I can catch the TAS block and Giant Bomb donation incentive at least!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BeachThunder  Online

@beachthunder: How often does KoTOR even use the character's name?

I honestly can't remember, but like most speedruns with custom names, you won't see much of it anyway - other than the very beginning.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I was not expecting a Colbert plug, of all places. He had No Man's Sky on at one point last year, so he clearly has some interest in games, but speedrunning is a couple of levels of crazy below that. Super cool.

KotOR might not be a bad place to pool our efforts. We'd also probably have an alright chance if we focused on one of the Final Fantasy character names, but that doesn't seem very Austin-y (Actually, I could see Austin being into being named for Edgar or Sabin) but KotOR? Yeah, that's his jam. I dunno what we should do for the name specifically, if we want just Austin Walker or something more specific. I like the idea of Prof. Killah myself.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man these always sneak up on me, exciting!

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day 1's schedule is great. Gonna be watching for the first 4 hours or so.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hassun
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BeachThunder  Online
hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hassun

@beachthunder: Splitting up between the quakenet chat and discord seems like a bad idea.

MarekkPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I put in a donation for Tony Hawk's Underground for file name #SKATE4 to start things off.

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donation/247363

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to give a shout-out to the speedrun of Pause Ahead on friday. That game is super cool, and it's by the same people that made Tower of Heaven.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Sounds like #Skate4 is the thing this year.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

wooooooooooooooooooooooo

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Fast Racing Neo is a fucked up game

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shout outs to Studio for wearing the Vinn. Co. shirt.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wooohooooo! #SKATE4 won for Tony Hawk! Thanks to everyone for your donations!

And big thanks to generous Canadian Warren Hyatt for donating $2450 toward #SKATE4! What a baller.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are people out there who have the Ed, Edd n Eddy game down to a science and that is mind boggling to me.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rahf
poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

List of games seems very underwhelming. They always do five megaman games, 8 castlevanias, same mario games etc. I'll check out fallout 4, max payne 2, and a couple more but overall the marathon is mostly background noise again.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys should go back and watch the Jak and Daxter run. So good.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

You guys should go back and watch the Jak and Daxter run. So good.

Seconding this. I happen to wake up in the middle of the night, turned it on, and holy shit.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Symphony of the night blindfolded run was really good! Watching someone play a game just from sound effects and memory/muscle memory is kind of amazing. It was both hilarious and heartbreaking when the controller malfunctioned and the guy didn`t realize why the menu glitch he was trying didn`t work.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers