Calling All Carpenters: Need Help Building A Chair

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I'm not sure if we have any carpenters in the community but I was looking for some help with building a chair. I'm a rather large man and I have never set in a computer chair that felt comfortable unless it was some extremely expensive chair that I could never afford. So I got to thinking that since I have access to piles of nice thick heavy wood out back, my dad's adding onto his garage, I thought now would be my chance to finally get around to building a nice solid comfortable chair to use at my computer. The problem however is that I have never built one before so I'm not sure where to start.

As I mentioned I'm a big guy so the chair does have to be built sturdy. I really don't care about how it looks as that can be changed later, but more so on the stability and comfort of the design. Before I go in wasting wood and building something that implodes the moment a fly lands on the thing, let alone my fat ass, I wanted to look at some videos of how other people build chairs to get a better understanding of the process- but I couldn't find any. So I was hoping that some one in the community would know of some web sites that have videos like these orif you have any experience with making chairs like that if you could give me some pointers on how I should go about doing it.

I was thinking of something simple like these photo's below, but I wasn't sure how stable they would be to sit on. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By crusader8463

Really? No one?

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By hicks91

find cushions you feel comfortable with 
build a support for them 
other than that, dunno 
remember cross beams 

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Asking a gaming community how to build a chair.....

EDIT: I actually looked for a video using the power of the internets, but alas I found nothing of use. Unless you want to build a beanbag chair.

MrMcgillicutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrMcgillicutty

"I believe I can help with that"

No Caption Provided

Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Donkey

Step 1. Go to IKEA. 
Step 2. ? 
Step 3. PROFIT

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kelbear
@crusader8463: 

I'd start by going shopping for simple wooden chairs in furniture stores. You don't have to buy them, just identify what you like, and what looks feasible.

Then inspect it's construction. See how things are connected, the measurements of the various parts. Consider why they put the pieces in the places that they put them. 

Cut yourself the pieces, replicate the construction, sand and stain, Then go to a homegoods for an appropriate cushion to attach. 

Then throw it away when you realize what a shitty chair you've made, and go back to the furniture store to just buy a real chair because if you don't know how to make a chair, I'm going to guess that your first attempts will suck, just like 90% of people's first attempt at crafting something they don't know how to make.
GregariousGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GregariousGreg
regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By regularassmilk
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Asking a gaming community how to build a chair.....  
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FunExplosions
wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By wrecks

"Build a Chair" surprisingly returns results on YouTube. Whoda thunk it?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crusader8463
@FizzleNizzleBear:@wrecks said:

" " Build a Chair" surprisingly returns results on YouTube. Whoda thunk it? "

And they are all videos that say "Hey dude want to build a chair? Buy our videos and learn!". As I said in my OP the only chairs that I have found to be comfortable to sit on for any amount of time have cost a lot of money. Money I don't have. 

@kelbear said:

" @crusader8463:   I'd start by going shopping for simple wooden chairs in furniture stores. You don't have to buy them, just identify what you like, and what looks feasible.  Then inspect it's construction. See how things are connected, the measurements of the various parts. Consider why they put the pieces in the places that they put them.   Cut yourself the pieces, replicate the construction, sand and stain, Then go to a homegoods for an appropriate cushion to attach.   Then throw it away when you realize what a shitty chair you've made, and go back to the furniture store to just buy a real chair because if you don't know how to make a chair, I'm going to guess that your first attempts will suck, just like 90% of people's first attempt at crafting something they don't know how to make. "

Like I have said about three times now, just buying a chair is not an option. I have experience with wood working, just not building chairs specifically. I have tried searching through Google but every keyword combination I could think of got me weird results that didn't work for me. I found a couple images, and as you said, I had planned to just examine them and see how they are put together, but I was just hoping to find a tutorial video somewhere to make sure there isn't some secret special cut or some kind of thing that needs to be done or the thing falls apart. I was hoping someone might know of a wood working hobby site that had videos on how to build stuff. Rather surprised there isn't one, or at least one that's easier to find. 

Woodworking is a common hobby and I'm surprised there isn't more people on this site that are into it.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crusader8463

Sigh...

Stabbers_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Stabbers_McGee

Well, I'm a scenic carpenter, so I guess I can give a little advice.
1)  Be safe. Wear safety glasses when cutting. Don't be a douche.
2)  Measure twice, cut once. You can try out a simple drafting software if you want, like google sketchup.
3)  For your joints, you've got a few options
-  Pocket screws are pretty good. You can buy a pocket screw jig at a home improvement store. It makes a pretty strong joint. Keep in mind, though, that a screw has far more PULL strength than it does SHEAR strength. This is why you can't really pull a screw out with a hammer but you can break it off quite easily. It's just the opposite with nails and staples. Keep this in mind when deciding how to join your pieces and where the forces are being applied. Its not a great idea to have a lot of downward pressure being applied to horizontal screw. That being said, unless you are really fat, it might not be a problem.
-  Dowels and wood glue. Screw two holes on the inside of both sides of the joint (be precise), squirt some glue in the holes, stick in a dowel, and CLAMP.
- Just screw straight through the wood and fill it with something later. If you plan on staining it, make sure you get a stainable filler.
4) Sand all the pieces, you don't want to get a splinter every time you sit.
5) Uh... ta da?

Good luck!

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kelbear
@crusader8463:    
 Ah, then maybe this will help: 
Adirondack chair video:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ovydDWggqE

Some chair projects:
 http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=424
No videos, but instructions with diagrams for various chair designs. If you have experience in woodworking you may be able to keep up without a video.
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kishan6
@Donkey said:
" Step 1. Go to IKEA. Step 2. ? Step 3. PROFIT "
rofl
Avatar image for ghost_of_perdition
Ghost_of_Perdition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Simple looking chairs are very deceiving. The ones on the left and right in your first post are more than likely using mortise and tenon joints (and rabbet joints on the left one). Mortise and tenon are among the strongest of joints but you HAVE to be precise when cutting and fitting them.

There's a site with step by step videos on how to build something similar to what you're looking for. You probably don't want to jump into this high level project just yet, but it should give you a good idea of how to put this thing together.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fbomb
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By thebeast

Thread cleaned. 
Stay on topic, don't spam and be nice - anyone who has just had a post deleted will have a close eye kept on them and will be given a warning if this sort of behaviour continues.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crusader8463
@Stabbers_McGee:  Thanks, I will be sure to keep that stuff in mind.

@Ghost_of_Perdition:  I just want a sturdy simple design. I don't care about some fancy joints or screws or what not. I understand all those things are important factors for structrial integrity, but I got this idea in the back of my head that there is some really obvious simple design that people always used to make chairs from. I just can't think of it. Sadly that link required a subscription to actually watch the videos.

@Fbomb: Don't think that would be sturdy enough for me.

@dudeglove: Ya I am. The wood is being used for siding on a building so it's rather strong. I don't know what it's called, just that it's some nice thick stuff that looks like it can hold some weight.
TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TotalEklypse

this is how i build em. you just gota leave them some food every few days.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Bruce

Can anyone on this fucking site simply HELP someone without making lame little sarcastic comments about everything? 

In regards to him posting this in a video game forum, IT'S THE OFF-TOPIC! It's not like he posted this shit in the Zelda forum. If someone can make an entire thread about hot dog toppings, why can't he ask for help to get a chair built? 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crusader8463
@Bruce: You should have seen it before I got the mod to help. Three pages of two douches who just kept quote chaining their dumb ass comments. Makes me sad to see the site the way it is some times.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scooper

The designs you've got there will do ok if that's the kind of thing you want. They're very simple to make really. Just measure the wood out and join them together with simple mortice & tennon joints, if you haven't got the power tools for it a handsaw and mortice chisel will work fine, as long as you are acurate. Power tools will be much easier if you've got them. I spent a whole year at college using just hand tools and it was a pain in the ass trying to get a really tight and strait fitting tennon.

You'll wanna make sure you plane and sand the wood too, or you'll be in splinter city, especialy as it sounds like you're using just structural timber which is usualy pretty rough. Then make sure you get a good seal on it, find a good cusion and wahbam, there it is.

Good luck, too. Once you make something practical and usefull such as a sturdy chair that's taken you a couple days you'll feel a fantastic sense of accomplishment. Until it falls to pieces.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crusader8463
@Scooper:  Thanks. And ya, a big part of why I want to make this is because of that high you get from building something yourself. Could use a good confidence boost in my life right now. Just hope I don't have to deal with the crash of the high when it all falls a part some time from now. I have had good luck with things I build staying together though.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crusader8463
@Scooper:  I'm curious though, is a Mortice and Tennon joint the best way to go?  Wouldn't cutting the wood down to a smaller piece hurt it's ability to hold weight? Wouldn't a dovetail work better?
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scooper
@crusader8463: I would personaly be fine using M&T joints. An open M&T joint is stronger then a through M&T so think about that.

Open M&T
 Open M&T

Through M&T
 Through M&T

I think using dowels joints would be be weaker then M&T so I wouldn't use them. You could use screws but like it's been said before they haven't got great shear strength so they might break if there's alot of horizontal pressure on them, using washers with the screws could help that a bit. I don't have alot of experience with biscuit joints but from what I know of them I wouldn't use them in a chair that you want to be really sturdy. I wouldn't use dovetails or box joints for this type of chair either.

How chunky are you thinking of making this chair anyways. How big is the stock you're getting from your (?)father?
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crusader8463
 This guy.
 This guy.
@Scooper:  I just want a very simple flat chair that I can put some nice thick cushions on since I'm gonna be sitting in the thing for hours and hours at a time. I want to make sure that I don't have to worry about my legs and butt starting to hurt after sitting in it for an hour. RIght now I'm pretty much leaning towards making the right most chair in my OP since it looks to be both stable/strong and relatively simple to make.

As for the wood, I'm not sure what you mean by the stock. If you mean the dimension It's about three to four inches thick and as long as I need it to be. If you mean what type of wood I couldn't say. All I know is that my father had a pile of tree's in the back yard and we cut them into lumber ourselves. Never thought to ask what kind of tree it was. It's going to be used as siding for a garage if that helps any.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crusader8463
@Scooper:  Ya I was thinking of going with an open M&T joint, but what do I use to keep it together? I would be afraid of the screw/nail causing a crack in the wood to form and ruin the structural integrity of that beam of wood since wouldn't they be the ones supporting most of the weight?
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scooper
@crusader8463: Sounds pretty easy then if you're looking to make what's in that picture. The chair there though looks pretty cheap and weak with what seems about an inch and a half thick wood. If you go by a design simalar to that but with your thicker wood it should go okay. It won't be a work of art but it should be functional. The cushion I have no clue about, though. I 'unno, get a piece of MDF or something and staple a piece of fabric too it and whack a nice cusion on it. lol.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Binman88
@crusader8463 said:

" @Scooper:  Ya I was thinking of going with an open M&T joint, but what do I use to keep it together? I would be afraid of the screw/nail causing a crack in the wood to form and ruin the structural integrity of that beam of wood since wouldn't they be the ones supporting most of the weight? "

If I remember correctly from the woodwork classes I took years ago, you would have to secure the joints with nails or glue. The joints will have to be cut perfectly to fit snugly, without any wiggle room to ensure the final piece doesn't lose any of it's structural integrity (edit: damn, I thought I came up with that neat phrase [structural integrity - didn't see it the first time I read your post] - so I don't confuse anything or sound like I was trying to be a smart ass, giving a small nail a firm tap into place shouldn't cause any cracking, unless the wood is very brittle, in which case it wouldn't be very good for building a chair with). 

Just as a tip for when you've measured, marked and started sawing the pieces - be sure to cut on the waste side of the pencil line. You can always use a chisel or plane to cut away excess wood after the fact. It's a lot more difficult to do the opposite and make up for lost material.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scooper
@crusader8463: Well when you make the M&T dry fit them first to make sure they fit nicely (no gaps, no wobble ect) then take them out, coat the tennon in plenty of glue (I mix it with a little fine sawdust, I find it bonds better) and them hammer it into the mortice (with a mallet ofcourse, not a metal hammer). I would suggest hammering wedges in too on either side if you're making a through M&T to make it very snug and strong but it's probably not worth the effort if you haven't got the tools, but that's what I do.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scooper
@Binman88: My grandad once told me "You can always take material away but you can't put it back on". It's a good rule to live by.

Also I don't wanna spam up your thread but for the joints to fit the vertical legs to the horizontal arms rests on your chair you'll wanna use either a simple Rabbet Joint if you're using hand tools or a Mitered Rabbet Joint if you've got the equipment and want to get a bit more fancy.

Rabbet Joint
 Rabbet Joint
 Mitered Rabbet Joint
 Mitered Rabbet Joint
jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By jessej07

I remodeled houses for about 5 years, and one time I built a bench. 

Building a chair isn't easy, remember that scene in The Patriot where Mel Gibson builds a chair?  I imagine it really is that tedious and frustrating and that a simple misstep can ruin your chair (also, don't be racist). 

Home Depot has some Home Improvement hardbound books in some of there isles, you can find out how to build a bench in the garden section of one of those books.  While a bench won't be very comfortable for long periods of sitting, the basic framework should help you out.  Once you have a comfy frame, laying some padding and stapling fabric over it shouldn't be to hard. 

That being said, if you aren't a carpenter building a chair will be difficult... there is a reason all those chairs you like are so expensive.