Which do you choose at a BBQ

• 52 results
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll Which do you choose at a BBQ (275 votes)

Hot Dog 26%
Hamburger/CheeseBurger 74%

This is a simple binary poll. And, teh only vegan option is Veggie Burger or Dog...so still hot dog or hamburger. If you want a poll about chicken, then you go make it. This is binary and a snap judgement, you may assume ist is the BEST possible hot dog or burger.

I have to go hot dog - I have to. There is something about a hot dog during a BBQ that is just joy educing.

No Caption Provided
 • 
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

If it is a joint specifically aimed at serving B-B-Q and I am bound by your magical rules of only ordering a Hot Dog or Hamburger then the choice is easy.

Hamburger.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

A hot dog, because I might be able to have two (or even three!) and I can possibly, if the host/guests came correct, have multiple different types of hot dogs in that span. Whereas a hamburger, I'm both devoting a lot more time to eating that burger (assuming it's not, like, a slider) and it's probably the one real thing I'm eating before I get buzzed and myself lingering near the chips and dip table way more often than I ought to be.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Burger. My diet primarily consists of burgers as it is and I assume it will end up killing me some day. With hotdogs, I go back and forth between a grilled dog. I go long stretchers of not wanting a grilled dog, choosing to go with a boiled dog instead, get back on the grill for a while, then go back to boiled. I'm also just very weird with hotdog condiments. On a boiled dog, I only want ketchup. On a grilled dog, I only want mustard.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

Can I ask where you're from? In the US, neither of those are barbecue foods; they'd be grilled, not barbecued, which is a different process.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my part of the US, grilled food counts as BBQ as long as you're cooking it on a grill outside.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By jacksmedulla
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@ajamafalous said:

Can I ask where you're from? In the US, neither of those are barbecue foods; they'd be grilled, not barbecued, which is a different process.

As someone also in the US, I think there is a distinction between talking about "barbecue" as an event/location or food.

A "barbecue" event/location is generally a place where grilled food including but not limited to hamburgers and hotdogs would be served.

"Barbecue" as a specific type of food though is going to be your traditionally slow-cooked (often in a smoker) pork/chicken/beef with marinade, rub, and/or sauce applied to it.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked hot dog because it's more BBQ'y to me, but honestly, I don't think I've ever done one without the other at a BBQ. There are more hotdogs because the plate I make is a hamburger, two hotdogs and some chicken and/or steak, if it's there. Plus chips, potato salad and sody pop.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: What on Earth are you talking about?

From Wikipedia, for example:

In American English usage, grilling refers to a fast process over high heat while barbecuing refers to a slow process using indirect heat or hot smoke, similar to some forms of roasting. In a typical U.S. home grill, food is cooked on a grate directly over hot charcoal, while in a U.S. barbecue the coals are dispersed to the sides or at a significant distance from the grate. In British usage, barbecuing refers to a fast cooking process done directly over high heat, while grilling refers to cooking under a source of direct, moderate-to-high heat—known in the United States as broiling.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By gtxforza

I personally choose the hot dog.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burger, every time. Although it depends on what sausages are at play. I have a fairly textbook image of a hotdog in my head and it doesn't scream barbecue to me. Granted, if you're having hot dogs at a barbecue, you're not slapping out Vienna sausages. If you are, this is a bleak barbecue that is a cry for help.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:

As someone also in the US, I think there is a distinction between talking about "barbecue" as an event/location or food.

A "barbecue" event/location is generally a place where grilled food including but not limited to hamburgers and hotdogs would be served.

"Barbecue" as a specific type of food though is going to be your traditionally slow-cooked (often in a smoker) pork/chicken/beef with marinade, rub, and/or sauce applied to it.

Right. For context, I am from Texas, where the distinction probably matters more than in all but another handful of states; where my dad has several grills, but also a smoker/barbecue pit so big that you have to put it on a trailer to move it because it won't fit in the bed of a truck. If somebody invites me to 'a barbecue,' then at minimum I'm expecting one of something like brisket/ribs/pulled pork/etc. There could be (and often is) somebody else grilling hamburgers/hot dogs in addition, but if that's the only thing, then that's 'hey we're hanging out in the backyard grilling,' not 'a barbecue.' Nobody is cooking hamburgers or hot dogs for 6-10 hours.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13 chaser324  Moderator

@ajamafalous: I think for most people, if they're going to a backyard barbecue, the expectation is grilled food. Maybe Texas is the exception to this rule. I'll admit that calling it a "backyard barbecue" isn't accurate, but it's the common parlance.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up in North Carolina. Barbecue always referred to slow cooked pork or an event where it was being cooked and served. If you were grilling out, it was always called a cookout, like the fast food chain Cookout. I think it's a regional thing.

Anyway, I would go hot dog since burgers are much easier to find at restaurants.

asylumrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what it's worth I'm also on team "neither of these are barbecue foods, barbecued meats are required for a barbecue"

but of these two, burger

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy a dog, but since we're talking about the best possible versions it's a no brainer. Any good burger is better than the best hot dog.

MisterDarcy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hot dogs! Too many times whoever is cooking used bad, previously frozen and unseasoned patties that they cooked the living hell out of, so hot dog is just a safer bet.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm upset by nobody saying "Durger"

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I would go for a burger if that's the choice I have to make, but the idea of going to a BBQ (or grill, for the absolutists) and not getting multiple different foodstuffs is bizarre to me. That's the whole plan of holding a BBQ, to overload on all the different things. It's an event of simple but delicious extravagances.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I do one of each but if I can only get one, it's always a cheeseburger.

Now if you had said cheeseburger vs bratwurst though...now that is something that would give me pause. In that cause, I'd probably go bratwurst.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hamburger

I don't love hot dogs anymore. Sausage is where it's at

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Hot dog. Most yahoos think they're God's gift to barbeque and serve you up a burger they've charred but not actually cooked. A hot dog is more reliable.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By monkeyking1969
@sombre said:

I'm not. ;-)

I always like people who are straight forward when given a simple choice. Life is full of these question where there is no 'third choice'; so people ability to just choose is refreshing. My questions is you walk up to a backyard cookout at someone how use might not know well. The person behind the grill gives you the simple choice - dog or burger. He or she is not interest in you flippant answers or odd requests .

No Caption Provided
redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Growing up in the Mid-Atlantic, a BBQ and a cookout were synonymous. Any type of smoked pig or beef was unusual enough that it was particularly singled out as "they are smoking a whole pig" or the like. I went to college in North Carolina, and during freshman orientation, they said there was going to be barbecue during our lunch break. I took that to mean "a bbq" and was very confused when there were no hot dogs, just pulled pork.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had a hot dog sausage, i've had a sausage in bread roll "hot dog" but not what i assume is a hot dog, those ones you get in tins.
I don't know about others in the UK but hot dogs don't appear at barbecues, i've never seen it, i saw sausages for "hot dogs" once but they were fried in the kitchen and brought out, i imagine sausage skin burned by a BBQ would be pretty terrible.

Avatar image for ritenthebredbox
ritenthebredbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man I came in here to emphatically vote for a good brisket sandwich on brioche… but uh, yeah, hotdog

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotdogs. The difference between a good burger and a bad burger along with the arbitrary "doneness" of the Griller can end up with a burgers so hit or miss that I'd need to mask it's problems with extra condiments. Also hotdogs are relatively cleaner and more mobile than a burger whose ketchup and tomato payload can be forced out of the burger and end up on your khakis.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bybeach

@cikame: Had nothing better then a grilled (outdoor) polish sausage about 6 months ago. The grilled hotdog wasn't too bad either, 2 months ago. Black lines charred in from preferably charcoal. Sure, kind of a America thing, but I bet you'd find them. Hopefully the better ones, cause hot dogs have a bit of a reputation about what goes in some of them.

Those hot dogs that come in tins (Vienna sausages?) are f***ing gross.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

I would probably go with a burger, but a nice grilled hotdog is way harder to fuck up. I dry hamburger patty is never not a bigger bummer than an over grilled dog.

CBHZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This weekend, I went to a party late due to work and I needed to eat before drinking so I split a hotdog in half, shove it in a bun with a burger patty and deliver the whole thing to my face.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I don't know what this response is, but I want to get you drunk at a BBQ.

@sombre said:

I'm not. ;-)

I always like people who are straight forward when given a simple choice. Life is full of these question where there is no 'third choice'; so people ability to just choose is refreshing. My questions is you walk up to a backyard cookout at someone how use might not know well. The person behind the grill gives you the simple choice - dog or burger. He or she is not interest in you flippant answers or odd requests .

No Caption Provided

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While these are not what I would call bbq foods, I chose hamburger.

FWIW, I grew-up in the mid-west in the US.

TravisD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I'm all for healthy eating. But I used to like to eat something similar to hodgepodge.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beefburger, but I don't want the bun. You can keep the bun, is what I'm saying.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

At this magical BBQ that has the best of both hot dogs and burgers, I'd go with a chili cheese dog, followed by a Chicago dog, followed by a spicy Polish dog, and only then would I eat a burger of any sort.

Caperfin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will depend on the quality of the meat obviously. I think the safest option would be hamburger though, since there's a small chance it could be homemade.

joesadelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By joesadelin

If you go for some junk food then you can choose Hot Dog because it is the best and delicious choice for BBQ but if you want some healthy at BBQ then Burger with Lettuce and tomato and some sauce is the good option. If you love cooking then [url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.outthinking.cookinggame&gl=gb&hl=en-GB]Cooking Madness[/url] is the heaven for you. The most fun cooking game I have ever played.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By monkeyking1969

What is great about hotdogs and hamburgers is they are for every state and ever town. There is little fighting about who invented what or much about the proper way to do its. Every state has it regional dishes and delicacies, but we all have a local hotdog.

People know and respect a Chicago Dog, a Denali Dog made from reindeer or buffalo meat, an LA Dirt Dog, or a Fenway Frank at a Sox game. In fact signature hotdogs at baseball stadiums are now a huge thing....I wish I liked baseball more so I'd have and incentive to try them all.

Growing up in Connecticut in my tweens it seems natural that there were hotdog places all over - not hotdog carts - just diners and side of teh road stands that served hotdogs. If you don't live in Connecticut that may seem weird, I think most of the US thinks of Connecticut as rich. But, many decades ago Connecticut was a manufacturing state. We made guns, submarines, jet engines, helicopters, screws, nuts & bolts, hammers, thread, books, and shoes. If you needed a machine to make it, it was likely made by men and women in Connecticut. Factory people need food fast, not fast-food, so submarine (hero) sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, and all that other stuff was served everywhere for hungry factory workers. Connecticut doesn't have as many factories and what we make is a shorter list, but we still have hot dog and hamburger places.

...also, people in Connecticut are a bit off in the head. This is off the menu in one of our famous hotdog places.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@monkeyking1969: Native New Englander (Western Mass born and raised, currently living in CT) and can confirm. Just looked up this hot dog place and now I know where I'm getting lunch next week!

Jean1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love both but love hamburgers there.

KorryFa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so complicated...
Hamburger with a beef served in a bun with toppings lettuce, tomato, cheese, and condiments ketchup and mustard. On the other hand, a hot dog with sausage served in a long, split bun with ketchup, mustard, relish, and onions.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hamburgers. Put a slice of cheese on it, get a cheeseburger. Put a slice of cheese on a hot dog and what do you get? Confusion, I dunno how to put the slice of cheese on this shape.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Oddly, I only ever have a hot dog at a BBQ. But I still stand by hamburger if I have to make the choice.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I always choose both at a BBQ, why would you only choose one. That's no fun, but I guess if I HAD to choose, it would be hamburger before a hotdog.