Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 7

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 04, 2022

The seventh main entry in Polyphony Digital's driving simulator franchise.

Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Pro Direct Drive Wheel revealed

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Oh hello, there motorsport fans!

Fanatec has finally revealed their variant of CSL DD (Wheelbase) being compatible with the PlayStation 5 console which also appears to be the Gran Turismo themed steering wheel, their previous wheelbase compatible with PlayStation consoles was Podium Racing Wheel F1.

My personal opinion on Fanatec:
    To me, that brand sound more official for Sim Racing such as iRacing, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Assetto Corsa, rFactor series, Automobilista series, and DiRT Rally series than the Simcades including Gran Turismo series, Forza Motorsport series, Formula 1 series (Codemasters) and Nascar Heat series (704 Games).

Also, my short thoughts on this coming up product:
    If I had this, when I want to play games like Assetto Corsa Competizione, I would like to swap the steering wheel into an Alcantara wheel so I can feel like driving a proper circuit spec race car rather than a street spec car.

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

Looks seriously hot, a little rich for my blood though.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Seikenfreak

I was aware they hinted at something like this a week or two ago so I said, F it, I guess it's finally time to put together a newer wheel setup and ordered a couple Fanatec pieces last week.

Here's a part of my wheel peripheral life-history that no one asked for:

I'll try to keep this short but I've been using a Logitech G25 for.. 10+ years now? It's excellent. It's easy to use, feels good, and there are ways to make it work with just about anything. I use it across the game spectrum of GT all the way to the most serious of sims. I've also been plenty fast with it, at least in GT Sport, when I was playing it, competing with some of the best in the world. My point is, you don't need fancy hardware to be good at these games.

In 2013, I actually bought a Fanatec CSR Wheel/Pedal set, mostly because people raved about Fanatec hardware and I thought it might be better than my Logitech. It would also be compatible with Forza which, at that time at least, I didn't have a way of making the Logitech work with it. Long story short, I hated the wheel, the build quality on the wheel itself seemed junky, and I didn't like the way the whole thing felt (force feedback, etc) So I sold it immediately.

Later bought a Logitech G29.. It was essentially exactly the same as the G25, I liked the new buttons/dials it had on it, but the dials worked like cheap junk so I sold it and used my G25 with GT Sport.

So that all being said, I have been eyeing Fanatec's hardware for many years. It's decent money, but what was really holding me back is I just might not like how it felt compared to my Logitech. These sim people are so fixated on getting hardware that makes it "feel more real" but in reality, even with the most expensive stuff, it's not really close at all. This is coming from someone who does go to the racetrack with a few of my cars in real life. You're at home, you wanna play a game, sit in comfortable clothes and enjoy yourself. You can go just as fast as most people with socks, a hoodie, at a computer desk as those with big fancy rigs, four screens and $5000+ worth of hardware. The most significant thing you can do with your setup to make it feel more real is use VR. Aside from that, stop procrastinating and go and do a track day in real life if you can. Don't make excuses. Stop being afraid. JUST DO IT!

NOW.. to the current situation, when I play the more serious sims, they have support for a ton of additional button/switch inputs that Logitech or any of the entry level wheels don't have anywhere near enough mappable buttons/switches for. So Fanatec has wheels with more elaborate input setups. My G25 also deserves a viking funeral. It still works, but I've hacked it up and modified it and the top of the wheel rim itself snapped some time ago when it fell off my lap while I was setting it up one day and landed at the worst angle.

So I'm spending a bunch of money on this stuff and I'm fairly concerned I won't like how it feels. I'm finally taking that gamble again. Ordered the Clubsport V3 pedals and the GT World Challenge wheel setup so far and that puts me $1000 in already. Going to try and order this wheel bundle tomorrow.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GTxForza

@seikenfreak:

That's an interesting story of your racing wheel history, yeah I heard Logitech G29/G920 is pretty much like its predecessors.

I hope you will enjoy the Fanatec's Podium GT World Challenge Steering Wheel along with the Clubsport V3 Pedals.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheMaxDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

@seikenfreak how's the wheel treating you

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.