Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Brand New Switch LCD Won't Turn On...

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Any tips besides calling Nintendo? I've set up an RMA but if there's something I can try before that; I'm all ears.

The system works when docked but shows nothing when handheld. I can hear stuff happening when I press buttons but that's it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why don't you return it?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Uh... sounds like you oughta just take that straight back to the store.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The place I bought it from doesn't return opened electronics... It was a store where I could use a bunch of reward points so I took the risk. Also, I think they only had the one so I couldn't exchange it if I wanted to.

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They would have to accept an open electronic device if it's defective.

@chrjz said:

The place I bought it from doesn't return opened electronics... It was a store where I could use a bunch of reward points so I took the risk. Also, I think they only had the one so I couldn't exchange it if I wanted to.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retrometal: This is from their website

Electronics

• Returns will only be given if original product is returned in the original sealed box in saleable condition with a receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase
    • In some instances you may be required to deal directly with the manufacturer.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@chrjz: I could be wrong, but that's probably referring to returns related to anything other than a defective item. They're not going to take back an opened item because you changed your mind, but you should be fine to return any electronic item if it is in fact defective. I'd say contact them about it and see if they'll just swap you for another one (if they have another, I guess). If they don't, what kind of business are they trying to run?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By The_Nubster

@jjweatherman: Yes absolutely. At the very least, bringing it in won't do any kind of harm. Most companies are pretty compliant with customers who are fairly cordial and have a legitimate issue.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah you should probably just switch it out.

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*IF* whatever retailer you bought this from wont allow you to exchange a defective item, I would never do business with them again and I would word-of-mouth try to ruin them.

@chrjz said:

@retrometal: This is from their website

Electronics

• Returns will only be given if original product is returned in the original sealed box in saleable condition with a receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase
    • In some instances you may be required to deal directly with the manufacturer.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Echoing these other fine folks, definitely try to return it. The worst they can do is say "nah." In which case that would be super sketchy.

But if it comes to that, then giving Nintendo a call is a fine option as well. Even if the store doesn't, Nintendo has (historically, at least) honored a sort of built-in warranty with their products. Being new enough, they may just replace it without charge.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By super2j

@chrjz: I had the same return situation with Toys r us. It made me terrified to open it. What I noticed is that the box and bagging is all unsealed on the switch. There is no seals/shrink wrap or other ripped plastic. How could they tell you opened it? I say wipe it down and bag it up, tell them you changed you mind and send it back.

Edit: At least this is what I saw with the Mario Bundle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrjz said:

A store who won't refund defective merchandise is a front for something else.

EDIT: and as others have said, the switch packaging doesn't have any seals, so... it's always been opened, or indistinguishable from unopened.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chrjz

I agree that their return policy sucks. I did, in fact, go in and ask to swap it for a different one and they straight up said no and to deal with Nintendo.

It's actually true that the box would be easy enough to package back up without any indication that it was opened... I would then probably be able to return it.

If anyone is wondering it's a large Canadian chain called Shoppers Drug Mart. They have a reward program called Optimum and I cashed in $170 worth of points. I would never have bought it from them without that kind of discount and because of it I'm probably just going to send it to Nintendo for repair.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If that were me, I'd be absolutley livid. I've never heard of a company refusing to replace a just-purchased faulty electrical device.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@chrjz: It seems like your best bet is just to send it off to Nintendo then, they certainly will fix or replace it at least.

That being said, here in the UK we have the Consumer Rights Act which means that any store has to take back faulty goods that they sold (provided you notify them within 30 days). Sometimes they don't play ball but you can threaten to go to your local trading standards department (or even the consumer ombudsman) as they are literally breaking the law. I don't know if anything similar exists in Canada but it might be worth researching.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chrjz

@kingbonesaw: I buy lots of groceries there and earn most of my Optimum points that way so it's a great deal when I can get $170 off of a Switch. It is weird that they sell them in the first place, though. With Optimum it's one of the best ways to get deals on that stuff.

Next I'm going to try and get back up to enough points for a Pro Controller so clearly I haven't learned my lesson.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.