Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo Switch and Traveling Internationally

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Hey Duders!

I'd like to bring my Switch with me on a trip to Ireland here coming up. I just wanted to educate myself on how to charge it safely without blowing it up.

If I get a North-American to Type G outlet adapter is that enoughor do I need some sort of power converter to change the voltage going into the unit too?

If any savy travelers can give me a what-not-to-do guide I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gundato

In terms of plugs: Yes, you need something that will let you stick your thing in the holes

Beyond that: Make sure that the really hard to read text on your charger says "Input 100 – 240V, 50 – 60 Hz." as that will let you use european outlets (240 V, 50 Hz)

And if you're paranoid (this IS Nintendo), consider only charging a battery pack with the outlet and then using that to charge the Switch. I don't bother with this, but it might be something to make you more comfortable

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Sahalarious

USA duder here, got stationed in Germany but had to travel to Qatar too, this thing was a life saver https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Adaptor-Wall-Power-Plug/dp/B01DJ140LQ

the switch is dual voltage, so just make sure the charger itself is too like the other guy said. I actually bought my switch off Amazon UK when i couldn't find one, and didnt think about the charger until the day it arrived haha. Any ol USB C will work though if you're not docking the thing. I also usually bring a battery pack (do some research into those though, lots of no good third party power for the Switch.

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

One thing I would recommend is to bring the whole thing instead of just the switch. I found travelling with all of the components is also super easy, so now whenever I go on a trip that lasts longer than a day I just bring everything.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By frytup

Can confirm I've used my North American Switch in the UK and several continental European countries. Pretty much all consumer electronics come with 100-240v power supplies these days. The Switch is no exception.

For Ireland, just get a Type A to Type G adapter and you're good to go.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.