Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Perfect Dark

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released May 22, 2000

Perfect Dark is a first-person shooter for the Nintendo 64 and the spiritual successor to the 1997 smash hit GoldenEye 007.

Should I get this?

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By CastroCasper

I have never played a single Perfect Dark game but I have been hearing a lot about this game and it sounds more and more interesting. I used to play GoldenEye a LOT, so much I am pretty sure I remember the first level by heart. So any graphical difference and the controls won't bother me. I am just wondering if this game is worth playing through a first time, or better for nostalgic purposes for people who played the original?  

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

if you played goldeneye you can appreciate perfect dark.  

Providing you havn't been completely ruined by modern graphics and gameplay styles.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @jadeskye said:
    " if you played goldeneye you can appreciate perfect dark.   Providing you havn't been completely ruined by modern graphics and gameplay styles. "
    I wouldn't call it ruined. It's just something better.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Yes.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy

Most definitely, It's a game that should not be missed.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

If you don't have a N64, just wait for the XBLA updated one. I'm buying.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By immike

Maybe. If you have been able to go back to old shooters in the past, you might be able to get into this one. Play some goldeneye on a 64 with some buddies and see if you can get into it if you can.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy

Keep in mind that this version will look a lot better, control a lot better (There is the option to use the same controls as the original), and sound a lot better. It will basically be better in every way, and to top it off there will be online multiplayer. For 1200 points, what is there not to love about that deal? And for someone who hasn't played it, it's a must.

EDIT: Wow, I'm surprised - it's actually going for 800 points, that's 10 $. What a steal!

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By YoungFrey

As somebody who loved Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 (and who tried the demo), I'll say "no".  If you didn't play the original or Goldeneye, absolutely no.   They were groundbreaking at the time, finally proving an FPS could be playable on a console, but there has been a full decade of development since then.  And the graphics are the same story.  Sure they were cleaned up in this version, but they are still horrible by today's standards.  I think the only valid reasons are: wanting to give Ken Lobb some cash, severe PD nostalgia(which is also a good reason not to play it), or wanting to get the Elvis doll avatar award.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By fynne

You should watch the Quick Look.  That gives a perfect illustration of what the game will be like.

shadowblazer19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By shadowblazer19

Yes.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss

In my opinion, both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were great games in their day - unfortunately, that day has long passed.

I'm passing on it, just as I would pass on Goldeneye if it ever happened.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By mordecaix7

Play the demo and see if you enjoy it.  It's too bad though that the demo won't have a tease of multiplayer because imo that's what made Goldeneye so fun.  Perfect Dark was no exception, and this new version looks and plays a whole lot better.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rockdalf
    @fynne said:
    " You should watch the Quick Look.  That gives a perfect illustration of what the game will be like. "
    Ya know, if they'd only read the mission text to know which people not to kill.  Or knew that every weapon had a double functionality.  It's no wonder the guys didn't like the game, they weren't playing all of it.

The way I look at this is 800 MS points is a steal for this.  Classic 1st person multiplayer for that price AND a very solid single player.  If you played Goldeneye, you will enjoy this game.  I've regretted many things bought on XBLA (Death By Cube being chief among them) but I was playing this on my 360 all day.  You could do a lot worse with 800 ms points on XBLA.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.