Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

Can people with PS5s please let the rest of us know what games have good/average Dualsense integration?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates

I don't have a PS5 yet and based on current trends it looks like I won't for quite some time. The one feature that really interests me in that console is the Dualsense controller, and if a game uses it really well I'm likely to wait until I get a PS5 to play that game. On the other hand if a game doesn't really utilize the feature or just uses it for normal rumble I'm more likely to get it on the Xbox or even PS4.

It would be useful for me (and I'm sure others) if people who have PS5s could post their impressions of Dualsense integration into PS5 games. This is something that you can't get from just watching Digital Foundry videos or whatever, and something I think reviewers aren't always doing a great job of getting across yet. They might mention it when something is truly revolutionary but they aren't like "by the way, Dualsense doesn't add anything new to this game" which is actually useful information!

I realize I'm asking people to share impressions and I have none to offer but if I ever get a PS5 I will be happy to add my own to the thread and I've contributed impressions in the past when requested.

Besides, this is Giant Bomb dot com. The happy friends wiki site for sharing pals! So please, help out your less fortunate pals if you can.

THE GIANT BOMB UNOFFICIAL CONSENSUS ON DUALSENSE INTEGRATION AS REPRESENTED BY THE POST BELOW:

Astro's Playroom: Best Dualsense integration there is. GB UNOFFICIAL COMMUNITY AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN HAPTIC RUMBLOSITY

Borderlands 3: Trigger tension but it's not good. BELOW AVERAGE.

Bugsnax: You can feel footsteps and also tension in trigger when taking a picture or using the slingshot. AVERAGE

Call of Duty: BLOPS Cold War: Good trigger resistance and intensity. GOOD.

Demon's Souls: Subtle but meaningful. Uses sound and rumble well with weapons. GOOD

Destiny 2: No next-gen update yet. N/A

Observer System Redux: Surprisingly well integrated in a number of ways. Adds to atmosphere. GREAT

Spider-Man: Tension in triggers while swinging and a spidey-sense alarm. GOOD

Watch Dogs Legion: Underused but gives extra impact to the melee combat. AVERAGE

krulon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By krulon87

Obviously, the best game that uses this is Astro Bot. The only other games I can really speak on at the moment are Spider Man and Bugsnax. With Spider Man you can feel the tension in the triggers while swining and the "senses" on the different side of the controller is a nice touch as well. Bugsnax is more just a gentle rumble while walking but i'm not that far into it so there could be more. If you haven't watched the quick look for Astro Bot I don't want to spoil anything but that game is a showpiece for what the controller can do. I am impressed so far and I really like the way the controller feels. Final note evne though the controller doesn't do anything for the game itself I am really enjoying playing Dead Cells with the Dualsense controller. If there is anything else you would like to know I'll do my best to help.

Brosacea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here are the ones I've played so far. Haven't beaten any so I might not have experienced it all yet:

Astro's Playroom- Just like the reviews say, it's used constantly for everything- you feel every single footstep. It's incredible- I was particularly impressed with this one stage where they use it for rain/hail on an umbrella. It uses it so much that your controller will probably only last 2-3 hours on a charge (I played other games for almost 10 hours yesterday and my controller didn't die)

Demon's Souls- It isn't used to an extreme- you don't feel your footsteps, but mic output sfx combined with a good swing of a sword or especially arrows/magic that just misses your head feels amazing. You can practically feel it searing you. Works great.

Watch Dogs Legion- It's barely used, I'd almost say underused. However, they REALLY use it for melee fighting. Feels great to land a punch. Other than that, doesn't feel much different than PS4.

Bugsnax- You feel (weirdly heavy) footsteps when you're running, but nothing when you walk. The other main effect on this is when you use the camera, there's a brief moment of resistance in the middle of pushing the trigger to take a picture that simulates pressing down on the shutter button. That feels pretty cool.

Observer System Redux- Actually uses it quite a bit. Like Bugsnax, you don't feel anything when you walk, but when you run the effect seems a little heavy- more like you're stomping than running. Triggers use resistance when opening doorhandles that's also similar to the Bugsnax shutter effect- it works well. The horror sequences have tons of surprise vibrations to go with loud events on screen. Makes this one pretty immersive in spite of the weirdly stompy running effect.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've played through Astro Bot and Bugsnax so far. Astro Bot is definitely the most extreme use of the controller as it's show piece. At the same time though, I can't imagine that any developer is going to go spend as much time working on that level of support as much as a Sony team did in developing a game to specifically show off that controller.

Bugsnax is probably a more realistic use case of what we'll see out of other developers. It's more subtle. You get some vibration as you run and jump. It feels different when you are running through water. Triggers rumble as you activate traps and try to mimic taking photos with your camera. There's tension in the triggers when you pull back to aim your slingshot. The light on the controller changes color based on stuff like what ammo you're using for your slingshot.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I got mine's yesterday from PS Direct.

And so far, the only game I played that used the duel sense fully is Astrobot, which is a short, but surprisingly very good platformer. I got Bugsnax installed, but haven't played it yet.

But while the dual sense is amazing in terms of realistic hand sense, I'm more so enjoying the incredible load times and improved framerate of PS4 games. Many games that ran horrible on the Base PS4, which I have, now run smooth as butter. It doesn't seem like it's a big deal, but it really is. So people claiming there is no reason to get a PS5 now don't know what they're missing. And Miles Morales is a great PS5 launch game.

Doszero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The rumble in Destiny 2 is pretty much the same on the 5, and honestly every once in a while the rumble will go on longer than it should. But they have yet to put out their next-gen update, so there might be more nuance coming. Borderlands 3 has put out its ps5 version, and it now uses the tension in the shoulder buttons to simulate pulling a trigger. I don't think it feels great, it's kind of clunky and it's more "pull-stop-pull harder-fire" than tension.

Astrobot is above and beyond the most precise usage of its features so far.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Astrobot is obviously the showpiece. They do interesting things with the triggers, and I was wowed by the rain/hail parts. The feeling of your footsteps changes for each surface, too, and I thought that was pretty cool.

I haven't really noticed anything in Demon's Souls other than some positional audio coming from the controller (like weapon swings).

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Demon's Souls has some subtle uses. Can feel the trigger tension when using a bow. The one I like, because it seems sort've odd but works really well, is when I light the weapon I'm using on fire and the controller has this subtle vibration that feels like sound translated to a physical sense.. It feels like you'd hear (if that makes any sense) when holding a burning object and you swing it around.. the sound of the fire in the wind.

I sound like a crazy person. TL;DR - It feels like you're holding/swinging a flaming weapon.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Nodima

@av_gamer: This is a different sort of question I guess, but how does Miles Morales run on PS5 outside of the obvious graphical upgrades? I've been a little surprised how buggy the game is on PS4 given the level of polish Sony's first-party games have had all generation.

I didn't have Jeff's headless glitch but I did have a body-less Miles for half a cutscene until suddenly his torso just loaded in without warning. I also had a cutscene that loaded with very little ambient noise and a completely silent Miles - I had to turn subtitles on but since I activated them mid-scene they didn't start displaying until a few beats after. It was kind of embarrassing considering it was the mid-game scene where Miles offers to join Tinkerer's "club" and help out. Miles remained silent in gameplay and I had to relaunch the game. I've also ran into two separate instances of entering a room and I was clearly expected to stealth kill an enemy for a story beat ut the enemy didn't load, again needing to relaunch the game to activate the encounter properly.

I know that the lack of PS5's bells and whistles is coloring some of my more lukewarm reaction to this game than some critics had - and I mean lukewarm in the sense that I expected a game of the year contender rather than a pretty good expansion of the core ideas of the first game - but I'm curious if there's also been more attention paid to patching this game on PS5 and the PS4 is a less smooth experience in other ways as well.

TheThillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried out an MP match of CoD Black Ops Cold War last night on PS5. Was pleasantly surprised how much Duelsense integration was in.

L2 has natural resistance when aiming, which makes it feel really nice when letting off and letting the trigger snap itself up quickly to get out of aiming.

Shooting on R2 is an even stronger resistance but has a satisfying rumble pop when pulling the trigger. It really makes combat feel intense when you are feeling everything about your gun in your hands.

It has been the best 3rd party implementation I have felt so far.

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: The adaptive trigger turns on when you use a bow you can feel tension in R2. The haptic feedback feels good when blocking and using spells its subtle but noticeable if you go back to the original and use a PS4 controller.

TheThillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: I just finished Miles Morales on PS5 last night. I only encountered one issue that required a checkpoint restart on a side quest. Everything else was pretty flawless.

I do get a weird save data sync notification on the PS5 dashboard. It hasn't done anything bad yet, as far as I can tell, but it is annoying.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@thethillis: Interesting, I could've sworn Polygon had an article about this Friday that had the opposite impression, that it was a nice novelty for the campaign but felt bad online since every gun had a different resistance and the writer felt it affected the weapon balance negatively...but now I can't find the article!

TheThillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima:I wouldn't doubt that actually. Like I said, I only played one match so far, so it could become worse the more I play.

I would assume that anyone who is moderately 'competitive' in CoD will turn that feature off immediately since it could impact performance. But personally I had more fun because of it...and I'm trash anyway so I will prioritize having fun.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

@nodima said:

@av_gamer: This is a different sort of question I guess, but how does Miles Morales run on PS5 outside of the obvious graphical upgrades? I've been a little surprised how buggy the game is on PS4 given the level of polish Sony's first-party games have had all generation.

I didn't have Jeff's headless glitch but I did have a body-less Miles for half a cutscene until suddenly his torso just loaded in without warning. I also had a cutscene that loaded with very little ambient noise and a completely silent Miles - I had to turn subtitles on but since I activated them mid-scene they didn't start displaying until a few beats after. It was kind of embarrassing considering it was the mid-game scene where Miles offers to join Tinkerer's "club" and help out. Miles remained silent in gameplay and I had to relaunch the game. I've also ran into two separate instances of entering a room and I was clearly expected to stealth kill an enemy for a story beat ut the enemy didn't load, again needing to relaunch the game to activate the encounter properly.

I know that the lack of PS5's bells and whistles is coloring some of my more lukewarm reaction to this game than some critics had - and I mean lukewarm in the sense that I expected a game of the year contender rather than a pretty good expansion of the core ideas of the first game - but I'm curious if there's also been more attention paid to patching this game on PS5 and the PS4 is a less smooth experience in other ways as well.

So far, I haven't seen anything that you're talking about in terms of glitches, and I actually did a stress test where I had my PS5 on all day to see if it would overheat or if the performance of the games would start to slow down or glitch out. I started Miles around the last 5 hours of the test before finishing off with replaying the COD:MW campaign. And the only thing I saw, was how in the MW campaign there would be a quick loading shutter while a beginning level cutscene was happening, but otherwise the game load times were quick and flawless, almost as good as Miles Morales.

I should point out so far I was playing Miles on the 30 fps full visual mode and not the 60 fps performance mode, if that makes any difference.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone who contributed. I'm going to get a list going on the top post and put in what I think is the consensus. If you feel the desire to update or add games it would be much appreciated!

Thanks again!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.