Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

PlayStation 5 Surpasses 40 Million in Sales

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

Source

We launched PlayStation 5 in November 2020 and the world was in a strange and different place than when we announced the console in 2019. Despite the unprecedented challenges of COVID, our teams and our partners worked diligently to deliver PS5 on time. We continued to face headwinds with the pandemic, and it took months for supply chains to normalize so we could have the inventory to keep up with demand. For more months than I care to remember, we kept thanking our community for their patience while working through these issues. But now PS5 supply is well-stocked and we are seeing that pent up demand finally being met.

With the support of PlayStation fans, we have reached a milestone of 40 million PS5 consoles sold through to gamers since launch. Thank you so much to our community of gamers – without you this would have been an impossible task.

Since the launch of PS5, players have been enjoying a selection of great games that illustrate how games are as vast and creative as any other entertainment medium. To that end, here are 40 games that have been voted for by PlayStation players.

No Caption Provided

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bigsocrates

Doki Doki Literature Club and Worms Rumble being voted as top PS5 games is kind of funny. Same with Hades and Ghost of Tsushima.

Overall PS5 is an ugly machine and I don't love the controller (which has also had its gimmicks way underutilized) but it's hard to argue with its first few years in terms of the game library for a new console. The exclusives haven't been the strongest but the last few years have been really good from a third party perspective, at least at the top end of the spectrum.

I don't know if PS5 will beat PS4, whose numbers were inflated somewhat by the Pro revision, but it will have a long life and I certainly don't regret going through the PITA it took to get mine.

Personally my top games that I think of as PS5 games are probably God of War: Ragnarok, Horizon: Forbidden West, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom and maybe Bugsnax. Those all (except Astro) have PS4 versions too, which says something about how hardware works these days, but I played them all on PS5 and really liked them. I also really liked Inscryption but even though I played on PS5 I still think of that as more of a PC game.

Also, is Astro's Playroom the best pack in game since Wii Sports? It doesn't have a ton of competition but I think the answer is yes. For some reason it gets underrated, possibly because it's kind of an advergame or because it's short, but Altered Beast was short too. So is Cybermorph.

You heard it here first, folks. Astro's Playroom is better than Cybermorph! Hot take!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

while i recognize $400/$500 is significant dosh- i feel like PS5 quietly remains one of my favorite devices i've purchased in the last decade. especially when i compare the investment i'd need to make to get a PC gaming rig together (i'm at total rebuild, including monitor)- and then throw the games from PS+ Extra in- it really feels like i'm getting the value. important to note, though- everything i've just stated could apply to the Series X and Game Pass too- i'm just wanting for Microsoft's single player, narrative-driven games library to bulk up (hello, Senua).

i also kinda love that 40million people have decided to say 'fuck it' and put this oversize vintage alienware-ass router in the homes. it's ridiculous and i love it. but i'm also that dude that bought the flaming pink plates to make it dominate the room MORE.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I love the ridiculous looking nature of the machine. Also, I'm not sure what people have against the Dual Sense? As someone with large hands, this is one of the most comfortable controllers I have ever used. The DS4 was pretty good, but this feels even better.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gtxforza

Woah, I didn't expect the PlayStation 5 to sell over 40 million units, so far Assetto Corsa Competizione and Gran Turismo 7 are both my personal favorite games on this console.

I can feel Assetto Corsa Competizione's handling model is more realistic than Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series and harder to play too.

I still prefer racing wheel peripherals with force feedback more than controller pads for Sim Racing and Simcades.

Edit: Controller pads are more suited for arcade-style racing games, meanwhile I'm expecting The Crew Motorfest is going to be more popular than Gran Turismo 7 and Forza Motorsport Reboot, due to more players on PlayStation and Xbox consoles preferring open-world racing games to Simcade circuit racing these days.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shindig

The console is great but It's a shame the newer features of the console have gone underutilised. Faster loading kinda happens by default but games like Rift Apart, Miles Morales and Demon's Souls really played into that snappy, instant response. I knew third parties would have other things to consider but I'm still mildly surprised when load times just vanish like that.

Same goes for the controller. The number of times I feel the adaptive triggers or fancy rumble kick in are becoming less and less over time.

Speakers in controllers are still dumb. You can stop doing that.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@bigsocrates: Where did you learn to fly (such horrible takes) (i'm sorry)?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.