Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

PlayStation 5 technical issues - have you experienced any?

• 56 results
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Poll PlayStation 5 technical issues - have you experienced any? (206 votes)

I haven't had any issues 27%
    I've experienced software issues 14%
    I've experienced hardware issues 12%
    I've experienced both hardware and software issues 8%
    I don't own a PS5 and/or just want to see the answers 39%

Duders on the site have been sharing an assortment of technical issues they've experienced with the PlayStation 5. Problems with hard-drives, weird noises and software bugs have also been discussed on the HotSpot, Bombcast and Beastcast.

As a new slew of PS5 consoles came on sale recently and quickly disappeared again before I had a chance to grab one, I started to reconsider the risks seemingly involved with these first batches of PlayStation 5 consoles. In the past I've been quite lucky with buying launch hardware and have so far experienced only some software bugs with my Series X. However something about the stories coming out about all the little and large issues with the PS5 are putting me slightly on edge.

I hope that all you fresh PS5 owners out there could share your experiences with the technical reliability of the PlayStation 5. Are the issues severe and widespread? Would you recommend waiting for a new revision, or just jumping in right now?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

• 
    lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@nodima: Unless your TV is just that old or you are watching everything though the same input your TV should save the settings for each individual input it has. Mine will, and its a fairly old 1080p dumb TV. I keep the consoles on game mode for latency and my streaming devices on a more cinematic but laggy setting. Each input basically has its own profile so you can set it up for that device and it should switch between the setting automatically and be good from then on. Some even let you change the icon and name for the input so if a guest needs to switch between them there isn't that annoying guessing game of trying to find the right input.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Nodima

@lego_my_eggo: No, it's a 4K/UHD TCL I bought this summer. It probably does do that. I honestly didn't really dig into the features much at all. Just set it to Game Mode and got to playing/watching and I think movies look incredible as is so I'm not pressed about it.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive had software issues. Or maybe account issues.

PS4 games just dont launch on my main account. They open, load up and basically as soon as any 3D rendering is about to happen, it crashes. Thats all PS4 games. To resolve it, I've had to create another account just for the PS4 titles. Sony support weren't much help.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Minor issues, I think mostly software but a little bit of hardware. Not enough to send it in. The recent firmwares have helped too.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#55  Edited By Undeadpool

Here's a weird one: my PS5 made a horrid, shrill noise when I first got it. Not "coil whir" or whatever that was (which is the ONLY THING that comes up when you search for ANY kind of noise going on in the console, almost making the "coil whir problem" feel like SEO manipulation) but this was loud enough to hear across the room with the volume turned up. It only happened with certain games, and went away for awhile, but came back recently out of nowhere, or so I thought.

Turns out: the battery I had it plugged into wasn't outputting enough juice if I plugged an air filter into it! The moment we transferred the plug to another outlet, the noise went away and hasn't returned.

So if anyone's had that problem, there's your fix! I haven't found an actual fix online yet.

Other than that? Smooth sailing over calm waters! I've had a few game crashes, but nothing out of the ordinary for any console/PC.

GuardianBob87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only had issues with the Spotify app, it desyncs with my phone constantly and it's a PS4 back-compat app so probably low on their priority list.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.