Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

So, 3G buyers, any remorse?

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpudBug

Gonna pick up the vita with Toys R Us's $25 gift card deal this weekend - just not sure what to do.

Is the 8GB card enough space for someone who wants to play some missed PSP Classics and put "longer term, shorter play session" games like Ultimate Marvel 3 and Hot Shots/Lumines on the memory card instead of physical copies?

$300 for the 3G bundle with the 8GB card and 3G/Real GPS, or $310 for the Wi-Fi model and 16GB storage?

It's too bad that all models don't have 3g/GPS at $250. I could just see some PSN game coming out that has awesome asynchronous or GPS features and missing out.

Maybe the storage is something that will come down in price eventually and 8GB is "good enough" to start with? Any opinions from 3G vita owners?

mister1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mister1337

NOPE! I love mine. I got the 32 GB and the early release bundle. The only Buyer's remorse I have is Ninja Gaiden Sigma Minus. IT'S HORRIBLE!! The gyroscope sucks and there is NO JAPANESE VOICE OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time I checked Ryu was a Ninja from Japan that spoke Japanese. $35 wasted...

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By shadows_kill

I do not have a Vita yet but I do in the future. Honestly I feel the 8GB should be good for starting but in long run if you are thinking you will mainly be downloading games I would suggest getting 1 of the bigger cards.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By beargirl1

@mister1337 said:

NOPE! I love mine. I got the 32 GB and the early release bundle. The only Buyer's remorse I have is Ninja Gaiden Sigma Minus. IT'S HORRIBLE!! The gyroscope sucks and there is NO JAPANESE VOICE OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time I checked Ryu was a Ninja from Japan that spoke Japanese. $35 wasted...

one of your biggest issues is that you can't change the voice option? o-o

well, to each their own. i never thought that voice acting mattered in Ninja Gaiden considering the story is arguably the least important part of the entire game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

UMVC3 is 1.5 gb, Hot Shots Golf is 1.15 gb, and Lumines is 722 mb. I'm not too sure about PSP games, though I know Persona 3 is just over 1 gb. That also has a lot of voice acting and quite a bit of content. The other games I have seem to average around 500 mb.

So... the 8 gb card would probably be pushing it if you want to go download only. I think it might be good enough to start with, though.

As for the 3G version, I don't have any remorse at all. Getting "near" updates, friend stuff, and leaderboard info while on the go has been pretty cool. It's something that has potential in the long run.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shirogane

8GB might barely fit those two games on it, and maybe one mini or something. I'm not sure how big those two games actually are, but Vita games are pretty large.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Since only Sony makes the memory, they have total control over the price so I highly doubt they'll drop the price any time soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't think the 3G model is much of a waste, even if you don't have much intent to use 3G. You're looking at a difference of 50 dollars between a model with all features and a model without. Sure, you might not feel the need to have 3G capability, but if you suddenly come to want it in the future it's a matter of spending another couple hundred bucks. I figured I might as well shell out the extra 50 and not be wanting in the future.

Demon_Sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Demon_Sandwich

I have no remorse. but also my 8gb is in the packaging still (32gb card ) sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I dont know. but i have used 3gb with

Lumines, Mutant Blobs, Powerstone Collection, Crushed, Reality Fighters Demo, Unit13 Demo, Netflix, Twitter, and Fireworks

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By SpudBug

Maybe I can flip the 8GB card on craigslist or ebay for $20 and pick up a 32GB card with the $25 TRU gift card.. might be the best way to go about it.

I'd rather buy games digitally if the prices are comparable.

I'm interested in buying NGS Plus because i love that game but i have heard the framerate is sketchy.

I don't care about the language. It could be in pig latin for all I care.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @AjayRaz said:

@mister1337 said:

one of your biggest issues is that you can't change the voice option? o-o

well, to each their own. i never thought that voice acting mattered in Ninja Gaiden considering the story is arguably the least important part of the entire game.

My single complaint of the Ninja Gaiden series is the lack of an Ayane spin off game.  Surely she's skilled enough to warrant her own Ninja game?
    tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By tread311

So far for me the 3G is completely useless, it can't even be used to pull MLB cloud saves when that comes out. I went with the 3G bundle without realizing the silly pay for a month and then wait another one for your free game policy. The only benefit I can see is maybe increased resell value for when the inevitable redesign comes out or I stop using it.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By doobie

when PSV gets words with friends that when the 3G owners will be laughing.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By EarlessShrimp

since it comes with the memory card, as well as (eventually) a free copy of Super Stardust I can safely say I don't regret a thing. I haven't used the 3g a terrible amount, but I've got a paranoid fear of going over my data cap.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Enigma777
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vitor
    lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By lord_canti

im same as master1337 dont regret getting the 3g i got it for wipeout and thats working out well but i do regret getting ninja gaiden sigma, using the right stick and thumb catch the screen and it goes into first person and i die....awsome design there

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@SeriouslyNow said:

My single complaint of the Ninja Gaiden series is the lack of an Ayane spin off game. Surely she's skilled enough to warrant her own Ninja game?

She's too busy in the Dead or Alive Tournament

I have the 3g version cause it came with first edition but I doubt i'll ever actually use the 3g... 30 a month to use the vitas awful browser and near when not around wifi just isn't worth it for me.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I got my First Edition Bundle for $270 complete, immediately turned off the 3G capability, probably won't ever use it, but it'll be nice to have if AT&T ever comes to their senses and maybe starts offering a decently priced unlimited plan for the system.

mister1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mister1337

@AjayRaz: Not so much of the story stuff as being off putting but the ambient yells and grunts Ryu makes. I'm so used to how he sounded in DOA that it feels foreign to me.

effjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By effjay

I have no regrets getting my 3G/Wi-Fi model. Although I don't really have any plans to activate the 3G at the moment, it was worth it to me to get the included 8GB memory card and GPS receiver that the Wi-Fi only model does not have. What can I say, I like gadgets :) I knew that you were required to purchase a month of 3G service in order to get the free game before I even pre-ordered my Vita and that was not a big deal to me. I have downloaded a few PSN games and several demos and have not filled up my 8GB card yet. I don't have any music or videos on it though. I'm sure over the longer term, I will definitely need something bigger than 8GB, but it seems just fine for me at the moment.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EthanielRain

I'd recommend going ahead and getting the 32gb card (or the 16GB one, given the options in your OP). It stings at first, but in the long run it isn't THAT expensive (given no tax + discounts...especially assuming Vita games hit PS+ discount levels in the future). Whereas 3G is going to cost you $15+ per month and the 8GB card won't last long at all if you're DL'ing anything worthwhile.

rustyspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rustyspoon

I was debating which model to get, and from what I've heard about how useless the 3G connection actually is, I have no regrets about not getting the 3G version. Seems like something that might be ok if you have no other device with a data connection, but with an iphone, the limited draw of the 3G connection on the Vita seemed kind of useless.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By maginnovision

I don't have any remorse about getting the 3G version. It's nothing all that special right now, but it's interesting enough for 2 months of service for 15$. I also had someone who could use the 8GB card it came with since I just got a 32GB.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

There seems to be no reason to get 3G right now other than future proofing on the off chance that it actually becomes useful in some weird way.

Kowalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Kowalo

No regrets here, but that's probably because I got mine for $250.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GooieGreen

I was almost given a 3G Bundle for my birthday, which would have been fine. However, I wouldn't be getting said Vita until early April. After a lot of fact checking and a call to AT&T, I found out that I cannot get my "free" game and "free" additional month of bottom-tier data service unless I activated it by the end of March.

If I didn't stumble upon my gift early, I would have had buyer's remorse for my girlfriend. Paying $250+ on something for me is already a lot, but the extra $50 on, basically, a memory card and a feature I wouldn't use? It would make me super-sayin sad.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Shakezula84

If they didn't have that bundle I wouldn't have gotten the 3G version. Ill use the couple months of data for $15 and I may keep going, but I don't see why the 3G can't be awesome in the future. If I can tether my phone to my PS3 and play matchs of Battlefield 3 lag free then they can bring infrastructure play to 3G in some fashion in the future.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By planetary

I have some remorse. Wifi would have been fine.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gonmog

Don't know why people are saying it's unless. I ha el been using it a ton. From chat only party's, to getting my score updates where ever I am, and always being able to get psn msgs anywhere is very cool.
    I have used it constantly the past month and I never came close to hitting the cap.
    I think some of you are confused with how little data you use when you don't watch videos.
    The way the system is set up, sending and receiving a few kbs at a time for any given thing, you will never run out of data.

That said, I can see why people would not use it out of principal cause of cost.
    But zero buyers remorse here. And I just picked up the second months worth of data. The free game is just a add treat for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.