Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saturn

Platform »

A 32-bit game console developed by Sega. Due to development difficulties and the rising popularity of the PlayStation and N64, the Saturn was discontinued overseas in 1998, but continued to sell in Japan until 2000. It was Sega's most successful console in Japan yet their least successful console overseas.

First Time Saturn Owner soon, what to get?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pazy

Ive been wanting a to get a Sega Saturn for a while for a variety of reasons which include im a games whores and want all of the systems and I had a Master System and a Mega Drive as a child but my parents got me a Playstation. I bid on one on Ebay, which ive only just won so it wont arrive for a while, and got one for a total of £22 with Shipping which includes all the wires, 2 consoles, 3 controllers, a steering wheel, 2 games which didnt work when tested (Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and FIFA Road to World Cup 98) and 17 verified working games:

Andretti Racing

FIFA 96

Manx TT Superbike

NBA Live 97

Independance Day

International Victory Soccer

FIFA 97

Olympic Soccer

Segaflash Volume 1 (A demo Disk?)

Sega Rally Championship

Tomb Raider

Tunnel B!

Victory Racing

Virtua Fighter

Virtua Fighter 2

So apart from sitting here jazzed at how I managed to get it for £14.50 with £7.50 shipping my main thought is what other games to buy. I never really read a lot about the Saturn games before released and forgot about it after I got a Playstation so I dont really know a lot of Saturn games but I want to try and get Panzar Dragoon 1 and 2 (though apparently theres an RPG I will never get). What would you guy's suggest as the best Saturn games and what are the best Saturn games that are easy to get at a reasnoble price? Prefrably exclusive titles or ones which are substantially better on Saturn (for example I beleive Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has extra areas).

EDIT: If it matters I live in the UK so it would have to be in the PAL format to titles released in Europe.

EDIT THE SECOND:

I should also ask you guys if any of the games that are coming with it are any good? I know Tomb Raider is good since Im a big fan of that series on the Playstation (though im unsure of how it runs) but what about the rest? Are any of them good or should I start ordering good games and forget about them?

EDIT THE THIRD:
    Sorry for putting this in the General Discussion forum. I knew the bug was still happening but I never clicked since I was so giddy.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

The Working Designs RPGS were awesome for the time. So awesome that they are probably all super expensive nowadays.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pazy
    @MrKlorox said:
    " The Working Designs RPGS were awesome for the time. "

Would they still be awesome? Working Designs is a name I recognise but I dont know what games they made so Im not sure if its my style. If they were only good for the time then Ill probably not get them since ive got so many SNES turned DS Rpg's to finish (like Chrono Trigger).
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

It costs a hell of a lot, but hunt down Panzer Dragoon Saga.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Die Hard Arcade
    NiGHTS Into Dreams

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Panzer Dragoon everything, NiGHTS, some of the Sonics were OK, almost anything by Treasure, Astal, maybe, etc.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

Well I stopped playing JRPGs after the Saturn died so I can't really say how they compare to modern ones. And nothing can compare to SNES era JRPGs such as Chrono Trigger... so probably not. But I could be wrong since I haven't played any of the Saturn ones in like a decade.

Fuck I want that library to download. Make it happen MS/Sony!

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hot_Karl

If you can get a Panzer Dragoon game somehow, get it. Also,I like me some Clockwork Knight, Daytona USA (you should get the championship version- more tracks, better framerate, etc) & Virtua Cop.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pazy
    @VinceNotVance said:
    " If you can get a Panzer Dragoon game somehow, get it.  "
    Are you meaning the RPG or the action ones? I can get both action ones for £20 but the RPG is at least £100 :| It cant be £100 worth of good can it?
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pazy

I should also ask you guys if any of the games that are coming with it are any good? I know Tomb Raider is good since Im a big fan of that series on the Playstation (though im unsure of how it runs) but what about the rest? Are any of them good or should I start ordering good games and forget about them?

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

There's a cartridge that allows you to play japanese games on it.  I can't remember the name off the top of my head but you should find one so you can play Radiant Silvergun.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pazy
    @FiestaUnicorn said:
    " There's a cartridge that allows you to play japanese games on it.  I can't remember the name off the top of my head but you should find one so you can play Radiant Silvergun. "
    Theres an action replay type device that sits in a cartridge slot apparently. I looked into it but I didnt find any on the UK Ebay site but since im getting 2 consoles im looking into the modchips that you can get or something else hardware related so I can have a modded and original system. Sadly a lot of the best games dont seem to have been released in Europe so it seems to be a neccasity plus if I get a mod chip then I can play games like Panzar Dragoon Saga which I would never pay £100 for especially since its not going to the company that made it to make them make more (like current games).
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pazy
    @VinceNotVance said:
    " Daytona USA. "
    Does either version have multiplayer? Im looking to get a few multiplayer games to play with friends but I dont know what games on my list have multiplayer. If Daytona USA did then it seems like a good fit since its supposed to be amazing, its cheap and, potentially, has multiplayer.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ArchScabby

I thought you were talking about a car, then I was gonna make a really bad joke about owning a planet.

Not once, even though this is a video game forum, did I think you were talking about the game console.  What is wrong with me?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pazy
    @ArchScabby said:
    " I thought you were talking about a car, then I was gonna make a really bad joke about owning a planet.  Not once, even though this is a video game forum, did I think you were talking about the game console.  What is wrong with me? "

Your obviously a nintendo fanboy but what you dont realise is Sega does what Ninten-DONT!
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

NiGHTS, Sonic, and find a working copy of UMK3.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Pazy said:
    It cant be £100 worth of good can it? "
    Do you have any last words before I kill you for questioning the quality of Panzer Dragoon Saga? Get it, somehow!
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pazy
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @Pazy said:
    It cant be £100 worth of good can it? "
    Do you have any last words before I kill you for questioning the quality of Panzer Dragoon Saga? Get it, somehow! "
    Currently my "somehow" is a mod-chip lol its the ideal solution and plan on buying the other two Panzer Dragoon's but £100 is way too much. I barely like paying £40 for new release games lol
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Pazy: 

The mod chip tells me that you're not a man of the law. *wink wink* *gets chased by cops* YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME!!! *runs away*
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pazy

After about an hour and a half these are titles that I should be looking into:

Panzer Dragoon Saga - 3 Votes

Nights - 3 Votes

Sonic Games (R/Jam?) - 2 Votes

Radiant Silvergun - 2 Votes

Panzer Dragoon 1/2 - 2 Votes

UMK3 - 1 Vote

Virtua Cop - 1 Vote

Daytona USA Championship - 1 Vote

Astal - 1 Vote

Treasure Titles - 1 Vote

Die Hard Arcade - 1 Vote

Working Designs RPG's - 1 Vote

Of these im pretty sure ill get Panzer Dragoon 1/2 (but not Saga because of the price), Daytona USA Championship, Nights and try to get Radiant Silvergun (dependant on price). If you have any more ideas then please do tell me.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Virtual-On is a pretty nifty game.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pazy

I may have just accidently ignored that list and bought Alien Trilogy for £5. The wierd thing is im not even sure why, while I heard a lot of good things about it I never really had the urge to buy it before and its not even an exclusive. Ah well ive done it now, if you guys have more ideas then please tell me ill be looking back once ive got my actual saturn to get some more games. And if anyone has any experience with the games that I listed in my original post then please dont hesitate to tell me how good they are and how good the saturn version is compared to other versions (especially in regards to Tomb Raider since I loved and still own the PS1 version).

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

People tell me Dragon Force was the hot shit. I think maybe that's just the obscurity talking. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox
    @ryanwho said:
    " People tell me Dragon Force was the hot shit. I think maybe that's just the obscurity talking.  "
    I totally played it and am in the process of obtaining a copy right now. I'm interested in if it's nostalgia that keeps it in my mind, or if it was actually fun.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pazy
    @ryanwho said:
    " People tell me Dragon Force was the hot shit. I think maybe that's just the obscurity talking.  "
    That game looks like it could be a lot of fun but sadly its another game which wasent released in the UK (like most/all Working Designs games on the Saturn). This looks like another game that I wont be able to actually buy since I dont yet have a method of importing (though im looking into it) and it seems to begin at at least £50 for an english version although the Japanese one is £5. Is it a game that I could play without knowing whats being said?
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pazy
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    I totally played it and am in the process of obtaining a copy right now. I'm interested in if it's nostalgia that keeps it in my mind, or if it was actually fun. "
    Since you played it could you tell me whether you would need to play it in english (which is at least £50) or if I would be playable and enjoyable in Japanese (only £5)?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Pazy: I can't for the life of me remember the story. Sorry.

edit: I also vote Panzer Dragoon Saga... but that one's a given.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pazy
    @MrKlorox said:
    I also vote Panzer Dragoon Saga... but that one's a given. "
    Can you explain whats so awesome about it? Is is the story? Characters? Gameplay? Ive looked into it and it looks fun but ive not quite found the "amazing" yet.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29  Edited By Cerza

The Working Designs games for the Saturn are:

• Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
    • Dragon Force
    • Iron Storm
    • Magic Knight Rayearth
    • Sega Ages
    • Shining Wisdom

They can be hard to find today and a little on the expensive side, but they are all worth owning. Try and get the American version of Albert Odyssey (so you can enjoy the story, unless you're fluent in Japanese) and the American version of Magic Knight Rayearth, because it was the last game released for the Saturn in America.  Also, I recommend Radiant Silvergun. It's hard to find and expensive as hell, but totally worth it.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By vidiot

Another vote for Panzer Dragoon Saga, I've contemplated just buying a Saturn for the sole purpose of playing that game without having to resort using an emulator. 

I don't blame you being apprehensive about the price, it's stupid expensive because of the limited quantities that they made. Personally if I bough it, I think I would more or less try and preserve it as a collectors item. 

But yeah, if you don't find a way to eventually play that game somehow, I will hunt you down and physically harm you. 

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fwylo

Get a dreamcast and play POWERSTONE

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

This thread is just making me wonder what he hell happened to Working Designs.

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By mrjared
    @Pazy said:
    "Prefrably exclusive titles or ones which are substantially better on Saturn (for example I beleive Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has extra areas).  
    Noooooooooooo! 

I could tell you everything that makes the Saturn version terrible, but I'll let this episode of Retronauts do it for me. 

Honestly, there are very few Saturn games I would actually recommend these days, but if you really want to spend some money on the collection, I'd go with.. 

Guardian Heroes - Never got ported elsewhere, still a fun beat-em-up and the GBA sequel was really bad. 
    Dragon Force - Again, never got ported, still a pretty decent strategy title. It's still a lot of fun seeing hundreds of sprites on the screen. 
    Nights - Still very unique and the sequel wasn't as good. 

Also, do yourself a favor and knock the arcade titles off your list, namely Virtua Cop and Daytona USA. Not only were these bad ports, but in the case of Virtua Cop ... I really don't think you want to play this. Sometimes, nostalgia is a lot more valuable than the real deal :)
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pazy
    @MrJared said:

" @Pazy said:
    "Prefrably exclusive titles or ones which are substantially better on Saturn (for example I beleive Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has extra areas).  Noooooooooooo! 

I could tell you everything that makes the Saturn version terrible, but I'll let this episode of Retronauts do it for me. 

Honestly, there are very few Saturn games I would actually recommend these days, but if you really want to spend some money on the collection, I'd go with.. 

Guardian Heroes - Never got ported elsewhere, still a fun beat-em-up and the GBA sequel was really bad. 
    Dragon Force - Again, never got ported, still a pretty decent strategy title. It's still a lot of fun seeing hundreds of sprites on the screen. 
    Nights - Still very unique and the sequel wasn't as good.  Also, do yourself a favor and knock the arcade titles off your list, namely Virtua Cop and Daytona USA. Not only were these bad ports, but in the case of Virtua Cop ... I really don't think you want to play this. Sometimes, nostalgia is a lot more valuable than the real deal :) "

The list was of what people said to get not my personal list. Currently thats mainly Daytona USA (because its one of the "tentpole" titles and has multiplayer), Gaurdian Heroes and Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Story (not that it looks that great lol just like a shooter in the gundam universe). Dragon Force is also a game I want to get but the english version is rather dear with the english (US) copy's I can find are £50+ but the japanese one I can get for as little as £10. Nights is one I hadent considered really since I never really found what was so great about it, does it still stand up today?
    Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pazy:

Guardian Heroes was a great game.

Now, given that nostalgia factors are directly proportional to time passed, you could possibly downgrade "great" to "very good."

It is a lot of fun. I'm really sorry I sold my Saturn back then, but your parents did you a favour buying you a Playstation. It was the right move at the time.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah. Guardian Heroes was a really fun game for the time. Excellent for co-op and versus multiplayer.

I just played a bit of Dragon Force again, and it doesn't hold up as well as I had hoped. It now feels like a super primitive Japanese console version of today's Total War games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fighter's Megamix is a great spectacle if you're really into Sega history.
    Guardian Heroes and NiGHTS are great. It's a shame the remakes/sequels of those games sucked balls.
    With the RAM cartridge you should get Capcom's 2D fighters. Street Fighter Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes and so on.
    The second iteration of the Saturn controller is a fucking joy to play fighters with.

Sigh, I blew up my import Saturn when I set the power convertor wrong. And this was because I was going to play Sonic R. Sonic R!?
    That game sucked balls.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrKlorox

Oh yeah, I forgot about Fighter's Megamix. I enjoyed that game. It was the best of Fighting Vipers and the worst of Virtua Fighter mixed together. I mean fuck, you could play a fighter as the Daytona USA car! If you can find a light gun, grab Virtua Cop for sure.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @ImpendingFoil said:
    " Virtual-On is a pretty nifty game. "
    Yeah but the best version is available on XBOX Live Arcade.
    Wabashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wabashy

i loved my saturn. Top games to get: 

Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei and Saga (if you can get it!) 
    Virtua Cop 1 & 2 (with gun of course!)
    House of the Dead 
    Guardian Heroes (side scrolling action RPG that people haven't mentioned in this thread yet, but highly recommended) 
    Nights (& Christmas Nights)
    Sonic Jam (Sonic 1,2,3,  + Knuckles Collection) 
    Daytona USA & CCE edition 
    Sega Rally 
    Jonah Lomu  Rugby (FTW!)  
    Dark Saviour 
    Shining Force 3 (episodes 1-3 if you can find them, v rare) 
    Shining in the Holy Ark 
    Virtua Fighter 1,2 & Kids 
    Fighting Vipers 
    Fighters Megamix (Fighting Game with characters from Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Daytona (!), Virtua Cop (!) and Sonic amongst other crazy sega characters) 
    Golden Axe: The Duel 
    X-Men- Children of the Atom  
    Street Fighter vs X-Men 
    Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 2 
    Burning Rangers 

p.s. im in the UK too and all these came out here and in PAL. You can mod the saturn to work in 60Hz to play import games too.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pazy
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Pazy:  

Awesome purchase. I have many great games to recommend to you, I suggest you check them out on Youtube and read a few reviews. 

• Japanese Sega Saturn & 4MB RAM cart / Action Replay to play import games on your Saturn (- 4MB RAM support inc) 
    "

While I havent managed to read all of your list, ive just woken up and it melted my brain, I do know that ive picked up all these games (as listed in your quote). Although it was the Japenese version of Guardian Heroes since it was so much cheaper along with an action replay and a copy of Xmen Children of the Atom.

Sadly most of the games I got with my saturn are terrible but Sega Rally and Tomb Raider are holding my attention, although I Tomb Raider would since im a big fan.

monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By monkeyroach

3 dirty dwarves 
    enemy zero

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Pazy said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Pazy:  

Awesome purchase. I have many great games to recommend to you, I suggest you check them out on Youtube and read a few reviews. 

• Japanese Sega Saturn & 4MB RAM cart / Action Replay to play import games on your Saturn (- 4MB RAM support inc) 
    "

While I havent managed to read all of your list, ive just woken up and it melted my brain, I do know that ive picked up all these games (as listed in your quote). Although it was the Japenese version of Guardian Heroes since it was so much cheaper along with an action replay and a copy of Xmen Children of the Atom.

Sadly most of the games I got with my saturn are terrible but Sega Rally and Tomb Raider are holding my attention, although I Tomb Raider would since im a big fan.

"
    Guardian Heroes is awesome fun in multi-player - good luck hunting down a Saturn Multi-Tap. If you do get one, Saturn Bomberman is a absolute must, It's the best local MP game ever imo. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#44  Edited By Yummylee
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pazy
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Pazy said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Pazy:  

"

"
    Guardian Heroes is awesome fun in multi-player - good luck hunting down a Saturn Multi-Tap. If you do get one, Saturn Bomberman is a absolute must, It's the best local MP game ever imo. 
    Getting a multiplay isnt that hard, can get one for ~£22 fairly easy, but the problem is finding that amount of friends lol. I can find one and even then I have to convince him to play a the Saturn (Its old and therefore worthless....).
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#46  Edited By vigorousjammer
    hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great thread that was a lot of help for me. I managed to get given a Saturn for free from my boss who found one on the sidewalk. I didn't have any video cables, so just grabbed some on eBay. Our eSports guy at work is a Sega fanboy, so he gave me a folder full of games that I can play until I begin my own collection.

Panzer Dragoon seems to be the favourite. I think I'll start that straight away. Nights looks pretty cool too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.