Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sega

Company »

Sega is a long-running Japanese company responsible for arcade hits like Space Harrier, home consoles like the Dreamcast, and franchises such as Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sega exiting console market apparently

• 52 results
    Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Red_Piano
    Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That sucks. The Yakuza games are really cool.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm going to fucking cry if I can't get a Hatsune Miku game on PS4. :(

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to fucking cry if I can't get a Hatsune Miku game on PS4. :(

I wouldn't mind the Miku games moving to mobile. Cytus with Vocaloid music? Sign me the fuck up!

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh man...I really hope the current Project Diva 3DS game is still coming out.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@corevi: I just kind of really want them to port the arcade game to PS4 if nothing else. At 60fps it looks pretty goddamn great.

Loading Video...

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hopefully they'll auction off their franchises to other companies. Shining Force, Phantasy Star, etc. Or just give them to Atlus, fuck.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure this is about the downsizing of their American branch. There's no indication that Sega Japan won't continue supporting consoles.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By conmulligan

I dunno, this reads like a misinterpretation of Sega's intention to focus on mobile and PC games. They've been fairly public about the fact that this is designed to shore up profits, and shouldn't be taken as an indication that they're abandoning consoles completely.

Besides, it would make little sense to exit the console market entirely after they've had their first genuine critical success in years with Alien: Isolation, and as much as Sonic has fallen from grace those games still move more than enough copies to justify their continued existence. Colour me extremely skeptical.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what will happen to all their franchises. Hopefully they sell Sonic to someone else. Anyone but Nintendo would be nice. I don't want to see Sonic go exclusive.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The five Japanese people that play console games mourn the exit.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be interested in a Naughty Dogs' take on Sonic.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zeik

Within days of me getting super into the Yakuza series they abandon console games entirely.

Yeah, that sounds about right. *siiiiiigh*

This better not affect Atlus in any way.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BlackLagoon
    @corevi said:

@blacklagoon: This is definitely about Sega of Japan.

I dunno, that article seems to have very few clear statements and lot of speculation. And if you look at Yakuza for example, Yakuza 5 was the best selling entry in the franchises history (ignoring budget releases), so it makes absolutely no sense for Sega to drop it.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: Yep. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever with a lot of their games doing pretty well. When you consider no other site is reporting on this its pretty clear there's something wrong with this article.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimsonavenger: Hopefully the set everything Sonic on fire so nobody can animate Sonics Shitty Friends ever again.

red720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be interested in a Naughty Dogs' take on Sonic.

Yeah, back in the Playstation One days, I always thought Sega could have just painted Crash Bandicoot blue and called it a day. I've never played a 3D Sonic game, but the Crash's running into to the screen always seemed a better fit for Sonic than Mario's 3D exploration.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    1. This doesn't affect Sonic and All-Stars Racing 3, right?
    2. Let Team NInja go wild with the Virtua Fighter franchise. Or hell, just offer to sell it to them. Lord knows Sega isn't ever going to touch the fucking thing again.
    3. What about Sonic and All-Stars Racing 3 though?
    4. So I guess this means no Burning Rangers 2 then?
    5. But seriously, stop fucking around, when are they releasing Sonic and All-Stars Racing 3?
    Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nevermind, guys. They'll change their mind when a mobile port of Super Hang-On sells gangbusters.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimsonavenger: Hopefully the set everything Sonic on fire so nobody can animate Sonics Shitty Friends ever again.

I like Sonic's friends. I hope they continue to be in every Sonic game in the future. I enjoy being able to play as Sonic's friends.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, some characters were actually good designs like Cream the Rabbit. It's just this weird fixation on humanizing animals and giving them human traits was the downfall of the series. At some point it became a harem of rodents for Sonic.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By monetarydread
    @trafalgarlaw said:

@monetarydread said:

You know, some characters were actually good designs like Cream the Rabbit.

Cream the Rabbit IS everything wrong with the series and might even be the most pointless character in the history of videogames. She is a cute, has floppy ears, a Chao pet, and is voiced by a 50-year old trying to sound like a 6-year old child ( I loathe this enough that I couldn't even endure Full Metal Alchemist); that is the entirety of her character. Her only existence is for Moe, and that is something to be derided, not celebrated.
    mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yay that means i'm finally getting Virtua Fighter 6 on PC. Hell I'll even take Virtua Fighter 5 at this point.

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdef: Yeah I figured this just meant a greater focus on putting games on PC, I didn't see a mention of no more yakuza and sonic but maybe I missed that.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They exited the console market in 2001...do your research!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

That's unfortunate. Sega just release Binary Domain 2 and alllllllll your problems will be solved......please?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FrostyRyan

Wait, what? I have minimal understanding of this so bear with me but does this affect stuff like Bayonetta and Atlus?...

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this means the end of Hatsune Miku on consoles...I'm happy.

Sega's been a dumpster fire of shit lately, anyway.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@conmulligan said:

I dunno, this reads like a misinterpretation of Sega's intention to focus on mobile and PC games. They've been fairly public about the fact that this is designed to shore up profits, and shouldn't be taken as an indication that they're abandoning consoles completely.

Besides, it would make little sense to exit the console market entirely after they've had their first genuine critical success in years with Alien: Isolation, and as much as Sonic has fallen from grace those games still move more than enough copies to justify their continued existence. Colour me extremely skeptical.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I think whoever wrote the article is misconstruing a couple statements and then writing an entire (bad) article about them.

japantoday.com's website seems to just reprint articles from other sources in the same media network (and boy does japantoday.com have a plain-ass website). This looks to be a fuller version of the same article:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/02/24/fans-mourn-segas-exit-from-the-console-video-game-market-fume-over-new-sega-games-name/

Even that article doesn't actually cite any particular statement about them leaving the console games market. It has a single line that reads "Statements from the conglomerate have stressed that this is an ongoing process, but one of the first steps seems to be Sega ditching the console video game business to focus on what it considers the areas of biggest growth, mobile and online PC games", which is literally the only part of the article that justifies the headline mentioning "Sega's exit from the console video game market." At not point do they ever elaborate on or share these "statements from the conglomerate". Other than that, all the article does is have a link back to an article from Feb. 4th about Sega overhauling its structure and business operations.

And then later in the article, there are quotes taken from random "Internet commenters" that make the whole article seem really amateur hour.

I think that entire article is bad journalism, and the writer is just wildly speculating that Sega is going to withdraw from doing console software development, even though they have enough moderately successful console titles that there is no way on Earth that is true. No other sites seem to be reporting on it, so I'm highly skeptical that there is any factual basis to OP's article.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this means the end of Hatsune Miku on consoles...I'm happy.

Sega's been a dumpster fire of shit lately, anyway.

PSO2, Project Diva f, Yakuza, and Alien are all recent games out of Sega that have been received moderately well and have all sold pretty well/made decent money. It doesn't matter because the article is clearly wrong anyways.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

They're focusing on mobile/PC development, not leaving consoles. If they were "leaving", Persona 5 would be cancelled and Atlus sold off. It's a misinterpretation of what's actually going on. Successful console franchises like Sonic, Yakuza, and Atlus' stuff will continue to do what they do. Riskier projects like Binary Domain or Valkyria Chronicles are the kind of stuff that we will be seeing less of form Sega, given this focus.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

Nevermind, guys. They'll change their mind when a mobile port of Super Hang-On sells gangbusters.

Man the Genesis version of super hang on was the bomb. It was weird how much fun it was to-fuck goddamnit stupid toucan sign.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Corevi

@ripelivejam: Transformed, it's really good. One of the playable racers is a Dreamcast controller/the car from Daytona/F14 Tomcat.

autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hopefully I'm not the only one to think, "this thread headline is 15 years too late."

Also hopefully they'll continue to bring existing franchises to PC, but who knows what Sega's thinking at the moment.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I need another Sonic Racing. Those are some top-tier kart racers.

And dammit, Generations and Colors were excellent. Gimme more of that, man.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That guy from work who is waaaay into Sonic is gonna be super bummed when he hears about this.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I hope they still localize Yakuza 5 and that Atlus will be fine.

Also, just saying, they should just make another Sonic Generations. There's still plenty of cool/iconic levels for them to mine from old sonics. It even makes levels from the garbage sonics fun.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@autumn_thunder said:

Hopefully I'm not the only one to think, "this thread headline is 15 years too late."

I think everybody thought this thread was 15 years behind.

The classic Slowtaku image
    The classic Slowtaku image

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

They're still making PC games so this doesn't affect me much.

On top of that Sega proper hasn't made a game I care at all about for almost two decades.

I wonder if this will affect their publishing branch (which I assume covers things like ATLAS). It would be strange if it did, though, right? I think ATLAS has been doing alright. At least... the rate at which they've put out games before suggested that anyway. And that RTS developer I forget the name of. I think they were doing alright for them, but that's PC anyway.

It's hard to tell, because this is Giant Bomb, but I want to believe Persona 5 will be a big deal. I mean... it's one of a handful of games that are the reason I'll have to get a PS4 at some point. I mean it should be a big deal. Persona 4 was better than any Final Fantasy game has been in over a decade.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By egg

Wait this means no more Sonic games? What a joke if you own Sonic IP and cannot profit on it. I knew Sega wasn't exactly handling the series well but this is just awesome level of incompetence.

Also wasn't Nintendo promised 3 exclusive Sonic games for WiiU? It got 2 bad games, shouldn't there be a third? :p

FattyLobotnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An interview from 4Gamer:

4Gamer:

Actually is there a possibility that the future of Sonic the Hedgehog is going to shift to smart phones/mobile?

Iizuka-san:

Currently we don't [have that plan and intention]. Now for this product only we selected the smart phone/mobile as a friendly platform for the users [of this game] because [the game is] F2P and therefore it was suitable for there. Personally I don't plan to stop Sonic for home video game consoles. Don't worry about them! And enjoy!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No big loss.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my interpretation too. With devs like CA and Relic under their wing, it makes perfect sense to increase their focus on the PC market. Even so, they have far too many franchises tied up in the console market to abandon it completely.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hatking

Aw man. I can't be the only one who read the title and thought it was an anachronistic joke about them abandoning their console? Now I'm bummed.

Sigh, maybe we'll finally get the Sonic The Hedgehog endless runner that has been the obvious next step for Sonic since endless runners were invented.

Edit: Apparently they made one, but it was polygonal not 2D. 2D seems like the obvious right choice, but I never played Sonic Dash, so I have no idea how it is.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chaser324  Moderator

As others have pointed out, I'm fairly certain that this isn't accurate and is based solely on misinterpretations and poor translations of statements from Sega executives.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't even remember that last Sega game I bought and that should say something.

bhlaab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

AGAIN?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.