Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

Should Valve Be Making More Of An Effort In Regards To Current Consoles?

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

Edited By pauljeremiah
    No Caption Provided

A lot of my favourite games from the previous console generation were from Valve, from The Orange Box, Portal 2 and the Left4Dead series.

Over the last few days, I've been on vacation from work and I started to get back into Team Fortress 2, I find it to be a fantastic game to play while listening to an audiobook or podcast.

And I started thinking, why haven't Valve ported TF2 to the PS4 and Xbox One? It's now a free to play game and now that both consoles are basically PC's you would think that a port would be an obvious idea. It would easily run at native 1080p and 60fps and maybe even at 4K, on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts? Would you like to see something like Left4Dead 2 or Portal 2 brought over to current consoles? Should a game like DOTA2 be brought to consoles? It's easy to hook up a wireless keyboard and mouse to the PS4 and play it.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wardcleaver

Orange Box Remastered. Now with Half Life: Episode 3!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consoles can't play DOTA.

So no.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could say that they also obviously have enough cash to take a risk and make a new single player game, especially with their track record, but here we are...

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would absolutely love a Valve singleplayer/coop compilation on new consoles.

Half-Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and Uplink

Half-Life: Decay's coop mode for split screen

Half-Life 2, Episode 1, 2, and Lost Coast

Portal 1 and 2

Alien Swarm

And Left 4 Dead 2 with all DLC

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valve doesn't make new video games anymore. They make millions on Dota and Steam.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume Valve hasn't ported any of their current games to consoles has to do with the steam marketplace. Can't imagine Sony or Microsoft would support something like that and why put in the work if you can't makes boatloads of cash from the marketplace?

I just realized PUBG is getting ported to consoles though and that has a very active marketplace. I wonder what that transition will be like?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OurSin_360

Valve seems to be more of a competitor to consoles these days, even tried their own with the steam boxes. And as far as games go if it's not dota i doubt it exists to valve at this point.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#8 chaser324  Moderator

Valve is almost entirely focused on services at this point, and consoles don't present any way for them to expand their customer base for those services.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my impressions are that valve gives zero fucks to what the console game market is or will be. And to be honest if it isn't directly in their bubble of control or profit they don't give zero fucks to game market in general. And as long as what they are doing continues to serve them they will just keep on keeping on.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

No reason to. They own the prominent PC platform and as long as they maintain a place for people to sell their games there is no need to jump onto consoles.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Now i wonder why Hearthstone never made it to consoles. I guess that you lose out on a fee for all the microtransactions, but surely the population is large enough to make it worthwhile? Maybe it being on phones is good enough to reach most of these people?

I could see Artifact coming to consoles at some point if it hits big. Especially when the other big cardgame is not. It could also lead to people getting more curious about dota and giving it a shot if they like the kind of decisions you have to make on the strategic level in Artifact.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

Because they do not control everything about their releases on those consoles. Steam is their platform and they can do whatever they want to with it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#14  Edited By Slag

Sure if Valve was a game company anymore

It's basically a merchant and card/hat market at this point

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@slag: I like your idea that Valve has transitioned into a virtual hat and card merchant.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Last generation, Valve and Steam weren’t as big and needed the games they were developing to sell as much as possible. This generation, they are popular enough to keep those games on only their own service (of current gen hardware) to draw more users into their ecosystem.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By paulmako

Because it wouldn't be worth the money or the effort.

Basically opportunity cost.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By wrighteous86

Give up on Valve unless you like DOTA.

You're better off that way, and hey, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised someday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.