Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back at the best user-created offerings from the previous week! During the 02/21/2020 UPF the other moderators and myself had a fun chat about how far this site has come. The fact that startles me the most is how the CBSi "era" of Giant Bomb has long since exceeded the Whiskey Media days. And I don't mention any of this to slander the site or its staff members, but it's something I've never really accepted as fact. If you wanted to know, whenever us moderators reminisce about the "old days" HitmanAgent47 comes up. Jeez, I'd be surprised to see how many of you remember HitmanAgent47... use the comments below to show if you have any idea what I'm talking about! Anyways, here's the site-related housekeeping!
- Rorie has been hitting it out of the park with their micro-interviews on the Giant Bomb Instagram! However, he wants to know what YOUR burning questions are you'd like the staff to answer next!
- Speaking of which, this week Rorie interviewed Jeff on Instagram and asked him "What's the most money you've spent on a single arcade game?" The answer is definitely worth watching!
- Jason has an update on has an update regarding the audio issues with Giant Bomb West videos and Quick Looks! For the most part, the issue should be fixed going forward. This includes video and audio syncing issues as well.
- Let's give a big round of applause to Rorie for filing tickets for: timestamp preview images not working, the formatting bar randomly disappearing while commenting/blogging, and the navigation bar on wikis not working on mobile! If you have any issues while using the site, feel free to use the Bug Reporting board on the forums!
- Due to extenuating circumstances, Giant Bomb East's normal schedule will be moved around. Check the front page regularly to remain up to date!
Tweets Of The Week
I've never played Animal Crossing, I'm planning to get the new one, but all these AC tweets have reminded me of one of my favourite Giant Bomb moments pic.twitter.com/ouoU3pUQtV— Liam Tasker (@LiamNTasker) February 20, 2020
Another hard day out huntin'. Caught me a garbage can, let's drink some beers!— Giant Bomb Out of Context (@giantbomb_ooc) February 17, 2020
- Jeff Gerstmann, 2017
Giant Bomb Galleria
We have another HILARIOUS edition of OddParticle's Jeff Hachi webcomic series! It is another reminder that the VRodeo is a video series we all need back in our lives.
Calling all Call of Duty fans! There's a newly revived online community regiment for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare! If you are up for networking with other Giant Bomb users playing the game, then this is the thread for you! Get the details on how to join it using the link above!
Clips Of The Week
Over on YouTube, someone decided to "animate" the Blue Chew ad during the free version of Giant Bombcast #620, and it really is "something." Then again, aren't all podcast ads?
Best Of Blogs
Do Not Buy This Game, Or If You Already Have, Return It [Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem] (By: @bicycleham)
bicycleham bought Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem, despite hearing warnings from Rorie to the contrary, and blogs about his constant struggles to finish the game despite its glitches, bugs, and relatively unfinished story.
nateandrews is highly intrigued by the direction Ubisoft is taking with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege. Read why they are excited about the company's "five-year plan" for the game using the link above!
Moderator ZombiePie took a different approach with their "Best of the 2010s" blog. On it, they hand out decade superlatives like "Best Dark Middle Chapter," "Most Fabulous Prank" and "Single Worst Story Arc!" Give it a read and discover which games took their humorous awards!
Giant Bomb user InfiniteSpark published an exhaustive retrospective on their gaming highs and lows from the 2010s! Read all about what they loved and hated from the decade!
bakoomerang finally got around to playing Darksiders Genesis and blogs about why they found it to be a thoroughly fun romp and why they think the game deserves more credit than what it got last year!
PurpleShyGuy LOVES Celeste and uses their latest blog on Giant Bomb to discuss why they think it is "the hardest game anyone can beat." Gice it a read and discover what they mean!
A Bracer's Impact [The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC] +
First, Mento continues their blog series for The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC and this week looks at the game's use of jobs and classes to lend more storytelling to its cast of characters. Finally, they have another AMAZING episode of their Indie Game of the Week blog series with episode discussing Princess Remedy by developer Ludosity Interactive!
Sombre talks about turning thirty and gaming taking a backseat in their work-life-balance. Give it a read and share your own experiences with gaming and growing older. It's a feeling I'm all too familiar with, but have no solutions to that I can think of.
Join The Discussion
As the title suggests, what are the most FAMOUS and well-known video game spin-offs? Can you think of any video game examples of spin-offs overtaking the series they are based on?
BigSocrates wonders aloud why SEGA hasn't done more to promote and advertise the Sonic movie. For example, where's the tie-in game? If you have a hunch as to why that's the case, feel free to share it.
Satisfactory is coming to Steam after some time as an Epic Store exclusive. Are there any of you who will finally check out the game? Join our discussion thread about the news using the link above!
Video games based on animes sometimes get a bad rap, but what are some well-known anime franchises you'd like to see get adapted? And before you ask, gacha games do not count.
Obviously, the title says "Vinny," but the question applies to the rest of the Giant Bomb crew. Would you like to see Dreams receive additional coverage much like how the site covered OG Super Mario Maker?
Here's a thread that welcomes you to share the games that blew your mind when you were younger, but today make you say "what was I thinking?" For me, my game is Call of Duty: Finest Hour. I played it a ton as a kid, but DAMN has it aged like milk.
durgerburglar has fallen in love with Xbox Game Pass and uses their latest list on the site to annotate the games they think make the serve worth the price of entry!
Useful User Reviews
- @scottyhawkeye went on a nigh year-long adventure to find the "best Batman game Pre-Arkham," and settled on Ubisoft's Batman: Vengeance! Read their review on why they think it is a special game worth going back to even today!
- @moonlightmoth uses their review of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint to discuss why they struggled to get through its story and overwwhelming jingoism.
- @riostarwind has always been a fan of the Ace Attorney franchise and this week assesses the worth of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice, the sixth entry in the series, with a critical lens!
- @frontman12 wrote a quick review for Fortix and shares why they think this Qix-style arcade game from developer Nemesys Games deserves more love, especially for the price of $.99!
- @capt_blakhelm wrote a review for Death Ray Manta and uses it to explain why they enjoyed the deceptively brutal and psychedelic Robotron clone.