Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed II

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The second installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise follows the life of Ezio Auditore da Firenze as he seeks revenge on those who betrayed his family.

Need to play the first?

mpg33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mpg33

Anybody who has played the first AC and is now playing the second....is there any real need to play the first or would you say you can just skip it and go straight to the second?

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By goodwood

I have not played the second but I would say skip the first. AC2 improves on many things that made the first very repetitive and I dont think you need to play the first to follow the story in the second.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust
    @goodwood said:
    " I have not played the second but I would say skip the first. AC2 improves on many things that made the first very repetitive and I dont think you need to play the first to follow the story in the second. "
    agreed, generally a game is a standalone product and you don't to play the previous to enjoy the game.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

I'm not sure if it would matter but you could just read the wiki.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Cazamalos

Ryan's Assassin's Creed 2 review, tell you all you need to know about AC1 plot

i don't want to spoil AC1 but the plot is pretty basic.....

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RsistncE

You, NEED to play the first if you want any real understanding of the plot or story. If you're in it just for the gameplay then sure you don't need to, but I play the Assassin's Creed games for their story just as much as their gameplay (like many) and in that case you really do need to play the first.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ineedaname
    @RsistncE: Wasn't the story in the first pretty weak? At least that's what I got from what I played, I never completed it but I've seen the ending.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By NickL
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @RsistncE: Wasn't the story in the first pretty weak? At least that's what I got from what I played, I never completed it but I've seen the ending. "
    i thought the story was pretty fine, obviously all the people decrypting the writing made it alot stronger so i guess it depends if you paid attention to what people found out from that, im going to guess since you finished the game you probably didnt see many of the writings im talking about though so...
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ineedaname
    @NickL said:

" @Ineedaname said:

" @RsistncE: Wasn't the story in the first pretty weak? At least that's what I got from what I played, I never completed it but I've seen the ending. "
    i thought the story was pretty fine, obviously all the people decrypting the writing made it alot stronger so i guess it depends if you paid attention to what people found out from that, im going to guess since you finished the game you probably didnt see many of the writings im talking about though so... "
    You'd assume wrong then if that were the case.
    And when I say weak I don't mean thin line nothing makes sense, but it still seemed fairly simple in a way.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RsistncE
    @Ineedaname said:
    Most, if not all, of the major revelations came in the second half and at the very last part of the desmond stages. On top of that, if you stuck around after the credits rolled, that's where the real mindfucks were revealed...
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I'm in the same position as you too haha... haven't played the first and was worried I'd miss out when i get the second.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Deusoma

I was wondering this too. I didn't get the first one mainly because I wasn't sure if I'd like an open world game that still had stealth-focused gameplay, and because of all the glitches. I really don't want to go back now after two years and play the first one, and I'm still not sure the gameplay is for me, so if the story is also indecipherable, I'm definitely gonna pass.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Rowr

For the immediate story (ezio) you will be fine i think judging from what ive played so far. 

For the overall story tho  i would reccomend playing the first. On the chance it sucks you in you could always go back and play the first, but then maybe you cant since it will be frustrating and primitive in comparison.

Gameplay wise it holds your hand pretty tightly, plenty of tutorial, so i wouldnt worry about that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.