Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed II

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The second installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise follows the life of Ezio Auditore da Firenze as he seeks revenge on those who betrayed his family.

Over hyped? Over rated?

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By metalmoog

After reading pretty positive reviews about the game and seeing the high scores it was getting I thought now would be a good time to grab this game for it's $30 pricetag.

I just picked this game up on Friday for 360 and have been playing it over the weekend. Now, I just finished playing inFamous for the PS3 so my expectations may have been skewed going into this but, I want to ask:

Is it just me, or are the controls in this game clunky and awkward as hell? 

I know I'm playing an Assassin, and am supposed to be slow and stealthy but damn. I'm finding his movements painfully slow, it takes forever to climb up a building, to pull myself up onto roof tops and just generally clunky and unresponsive. Compared to infamous when I was scaling builidngs and running around using the analog sticks and a simple button press to rapidly ascend up buildings, I'm finding AC2 painfully slow to play. 

I'm hoping that I will just get used to these controls and slow game play, and will be able to look past it, because other than the controls, I've been enjoying the game so far, and have only just made it to my Uncle Mario's house.  Is there a big payoff for perseverance, does this game get better and better the further I get?

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By slax

See, for me when I tried some inFamous after playing through ACII I found those controls to be really awkward. I think it's all what you are used to.

But yes, if you are used to really fast paced super hero games, an assassin game is gonna feel slower.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

I found the controls to be great, the movement didn't feel sluggish at all. Quite the opposite, I felt like I was zooming all over the place.  

The game gets better as you go along as well. I don't even thing it "starts" for real till like an hour past where you are, so there's that.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm also in the "opposite" camp.  I really enjoyed both Infamous and ACII but I thought ACII's controls were smoother and more enjoyable.

I have almost nothing bad to say about either game but too much auto-snapping to every ledge really bogged down Infamous' gameplay in my opinion.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vorbis

ACII has those "moments" where you want him to do something and he'll do the exact opposite. Like wanting to jump onto a platform but instead he leaps right over it, these moments don't happen very often but you notice it because your target will have gotten away. Having said that Infamous had the same kind of thing, say you want to jump off a pipe and instead he magnetically latches back onto it. It's just the game trying to guess what you want to do, rather than knowing.

ACII is definitly slower paced, it's trying to be kind of parkour, where as Cole can just jump up the sides of buildings and doesn't ever need to find foot holds.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard

This game had fantastic controls, fantastic storyline and gameplay, and was well worth the time for the S Rank. One of my favourite games of the year. No idea what you played though!

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By metalmoog

Yeah I think it's mainly because I came straight off  the breakneck speed of inFamous to AC2. I did have a few control quirks with inFamous too, but guess they didn't bother me as much because of the faster pace. I'll keep at it, enjoying all of it's other aspects. I'm sure the controls will just fall into place as I get more experienced playing it.  Thanks for the replies everyone!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I would almost certainly attribute your reaction to having just finished inFamous. Let Assassin's Creed sink in for a bit.

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By krystians

I think the game is perfect, and I couldn't ask for better controls.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Lukeweizer

AC 2 was such a step above AC 1. Maybe not so much in controls, but story and diversity wise it was great.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Brendan

I love every inch of that game. 
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaneDev

I found AC 2 to have very slightly awkward controls like he would sometimes jump off a building in the wrong direction and such but that was the height of it. I dont see how its any worse than inFamous I mean there all you did was tap X and press forward to climb a building in AC you just hold X and press forward. And inFamous had that sort of snap to jumping stuff which got annoying sometimes. 

Oh and the game is great and packed with stuff and keeps getting better and better as you go on.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By metalmoog

Still playing through it, I've completed the first Assassin's Tomb and am on the second.  In these tombs, and during the races is when I really notice the off controls.  Because of free run and sprint being on the same button, Ezio leaps off any ledge and grabs anything that's remotely close to him, I'm almost having to avoid coming near anything scalable to stop him from grabbing it, or attempting a climb when I just want to run in a straight line and leap off a ledge to another one. Find it difficult to judge what is climbable and what isn't also, some places of the wall he just grabs and starts climbing up, other areas and ledges nothing happens, and I have to shimmy or reposition him to a completely different place. Having some areas I can climb and not others is incredibly frustrating.

It is definitely slower paced than inFamous, but I find it doesn't control nearly as well. I ran Cole all over that city, leaping from ledge to ledge, rail sliding across power lines, shooting enemies in the air and clinging to ledges while falling. inFamous plays like a more polished game.

Even though I detest the controls, there are tons of other stuff about this game I think is awesome.  The cities look fantastic, the weapon and attack variety is great and the characters and story seems to be quite entertaining so far. Just disappointed with how it handles, and I hope this is fixed in Brotherhood.

Assassin's Creed 2 is a good game so far, but I find the controls are holding it back from being a great game.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @MetalMoog: It could be in part because I only did a single race throughout my entire, 1,000 achievement point playthrough of ACII, but I never had those control complaints *shrug*. I loved every second of the game.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Undeadpool
    @MetalMoog: The thing of it is, you're actually talking about two VERY different games. inFamous is essentially a third person shooter with a traversal mechanic, it's like a way more polished Crackdown. Assassin's Creed is much more a slow burn, you need to move with purpose and deception in mind, rather than balls-to-the-wall action. You want to avoid fighting as much as possible and focus more on traversal and silent killing, hence the slower pace. I think you just have to be in the right mindset for Assassin's Creed, either one or two. 
    And much like with your Mass Effect thread, I highly recommend playing the first to really get the meat of the plot. Because as much fun as stabbing dudes like UH UH UH UH UH is, those games are MUCH more about their plots.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By trophyhunter

Nah its just about the best sequel ever made, along with mass effect 2

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MetalMoog:  
    in Infamous, you play a as a hyperactive superhero, an electric supernatural being. In Assassin's Creed, you're a normal man. you're not supposed to run up walls and jump ten meters high, that freaky shit is for superheros.. Ezio is a man like you and me, and he suffers from gravity and physics, so he's supposed to take a while climbing a rough goddamn building.. 

And yes, this game payed off so much and so often that i came in my pants repeatedly.. it's a mindblowing masterpiece on so many levels !
    Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Wait until you get to Vulpa then the game gets alot better and the controls feel less awkward too.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By salad10203

Neither, AC1 was both but AC2 is a great game.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By gla55jAw

I played a few hours of Infamous before i got bored. I've been playing AC2 the last few days and I can't stop playing. I just really like the story and the way Ezio controls. I love it so far, I just hope the same thing doesn't happen in the first game (for me anyways), where the assassinations just got too hard for me to get by and I stopped playing. 

As for Ezio moving slow, have you been using RT to climb faster?

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cabelhigh

I thought AC2 was the best game of last year. It gets really, really good. Wait on it.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By ReyGitano

I wasn't very good at chasing down those Templars in the tombs. Other than that I didn't have much trouble with the controls. 
    I'm still upset with the ending though.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @MetalMoog said:
    " I'm finding his movements painfully slow, it takes forever to climb up a building, to pull myself up onto roof tops and just generally clunky and unresponsive.  "
    You wouldnt have said that if you had played the first one. Believe me, the movement is much improved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.