Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate

Franchise »

Baldur's Gate is a fantasy-themed RPG utilizing the AD&D system from Dungeons and Dragons.

Bualder's Gate returning?

• 86 results
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @ArbitraryWater said:

HD remake that cocks everything up by using 4th edition rules. You heard it here... first?

Seriously. FUCK 4TH EDITION.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Red

Actually tried to play it again today. I just can't get a grip on the combat system, or movement, but what I've heard of the characters and story really has me intrigued, especially considering my adoration of everything BioWare.

I'm hoping this is some sort of less dense remake.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By dtat

@FreakAche said:

@ShadowSkill11: It's EXTREMELY unlikely that BioWare will be making this game.

Good.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#54  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Red said:

Actually tried to play it again today. I just can't get a grip on the combat system, or movement, but what I've heard of the characters and story really has me intrigued, especially considering my adoration of everything BioWare.

I'm hoping this is some sort of less dense remake.

The original Baldur's Gate is pretty rough in spots, especially without mods and especially at the beginning. If you aren't way into micromanagement, AD&D 2nd edition rules and wandering around mostly empty wilderness areas looking for quests and things to kill so you can be strong enough to actually bother tackling main story quests, you may want to give it a pass. I personally think it's a great game, but I also think that the rest of the Infinity Engine catalog is superior.

@Ragdrazi said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

HD remake that cocks everything up by using 4th edition rules. You heard it here... first?

It seems to get that reaction a lot. As someone who quit D&D before then, everything I hear from people who really liked 3.5 despite its imbalances suggests that its basically streamlined to the point of being a video game. I dunno. I'm just kinda interested in how 5th edition will turn out, in a morbid sort of way.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @ArbitraryWater said:

@Ragdrazi said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

It seems to get that reaction a lot. As someone who quit D&D before then, everything I hear from people who really liked 3.5 despite its imbalances suggests that its basically streamlined to the point of being a video game. I dunno. I'm just kinda interested in how 5th edition will turn out, in a morbid sort of way.

It is. It's also the slowest system I've ever seen. One small fight takes an hour. It also heads way to far into "meta" territory. What is a "healing surge"? What does it mean to "mark" an enemy? Nothing. Other then it does something in the rules of the game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It is obviously going to be a first-person shooter since those are all the rage today, it is also going to have an arbitrary upgrade system and leveling up to unlock more equipment in the competitive deathmatch multiplayer.

Run for the hills!

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#57  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@ShadowSkill11 said:

I have no expectations after Dragon Age 2. This will either be a Diablo clone or another DA2-like action game with long talking sequences thrown in.

Trust me, BioWare is never going back to ADnD. I'd be glad to eat my own words, i just doubt it, to put it lightly.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Swipe your finger right to kill Sarevok!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By Justin258

@mandude said:

@believer258 said:

@mandude said:

@FreakAche said:

@ShadowSkill11: It's EXTREMELY unlikely that BioWare will be making this game.

I'm not sure I want them to...

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

It's 'Baldur, not Bualder', not 'Baldur, not Baulder'. Please get his incorrect spelling correct before you correct him on his incorrect spelling.

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, than it's spelled B-A-L-D-U-R. And that's how I spelled it.

Yes, but you spelled "Baldur, not Bualder" incorrectly. You spelled it as "Baldur, not Baulder". Don't fret, however. It's a common mistake.

I'm totes being mega serious, right now.

Yes. I know. A few posts below that one, someone said the same thing and I saw it.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Whatever it is; I'm getting my filthy paws on it. Baldur's Gate 2 is to this day, my favourite game ever produced, and so I'll take any excuse to play it again; as long as they keep what made the initial game great. Compelling and actually difficult combat; intelligent level design. (Remember the Troll Castle? Bloody brilliant how they forced you to conserve your spells and ammunition; completely changed the flow of the game.) And above everything else, the characters..

Maybe throw in an additional romance or two if it's Baldur's Gate 1 remake. The second had the best romances I've seen in a game, even to this date.

Hell, probably the best writing and characters, as well.

It's a close tie with PlaneScape Torment. Which honestly, I think would be easy to make a great remake of.

Wait and see situation, girls. Either way, as long as it's not a facebook game, I'm stoked.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Karkarov

Well finally deciding to look directly at the page it is a blatant remake in the .... making? I can't imagine any other reason for the background image to be made of character portraits from the first game only. Now we just need to pray to god it isn't some POS ios or phone game.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By thebatmobile

@owack6 said:

Would love a less D&D version of the game never could get around the crazy combat system of games like this but the characters seemed outstanding.

You're why we can't have awesome and deep RPGs anymore. God damnit. The world has gotten lazy and dumb.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By owack6

@thebatmobile said:

@owack6 said:

Would love a less D&D version of the game never could get around the crazy combat system of games like this but the characters seemed outstanding.

You're why we can't have awesome and deep RPGs anymore. God damnit. The world has gotten lazy and dumb.

Hey i like deep games but i don't think that convoluted combat systems is what makes this kind of game fun, it just creates a barrier of entry for people who actually might be interested in the fiction and story.

Not saying that its bad, for a lot of people that is the draw here.

Haven't played that game in over a decade so i cant really say what they can improve but im sure some changes can be implemented on a 10 year old game no matter how good it was received at the time, even D&D change the combat system with new editions.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@owack6: Oh like Dragon Age 2.

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By llamaegg

@Ragdrazi said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Ragdrazi said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

It is. It's also the slowest system I've ever seen. One small fight takes an hour. It also heads way to far into "meta" territory. What is a "healing surge"? What does it mean to "mark" an enemy? Nothing. Other then it does something in the rules of the game.

My group honestly attempted to try 4th edition, we really did, for a few months before we decided to drop it. It has some neat features but way too much of it doesn't work and takes way too many options away from the players and DM.

Pathfinder on the other hand is absolutely glorious.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @llamaegg said:

@Ragdrazi said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Ragdrazi said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

My group honestly attempted to try 4th edition, we really did, for a few months before we decided to drop it. It has some neat features but way too much of it doesn't work and takes way too many options away from the players and DM.

Pathfinder on the other hand is absolutely glorious.

You sir, are correct.

Also, here's a review of D&D 5th edition from 2009. Which is to say, here's a parody from a bitter D&D nerd from 2009.
    http://www.gamegrene.com/node/971

@owack6 said:

Hey i like deep games but i don't think that convoluted combat systems is what makes this kind of game fun, it just creates a barrier of entry for people who actually might be interested in the fiction and story.

I'm not sure what was supposed to be so convoluted about the combat system. I clicked things. They fell down. I clicked a spell. I clicked again to cast it. Things fell down. I clicked potions. They drank them. Sometimes I paused and told them to fight other things. I clicked them, unpaused, they fell down. 

As for it being a "barrier," I watched BG1 bring non-gamers into gaming. It could not have been simpler.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By lockwoodx

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

Yeah, I'll go get my grammar nazi cap now. Sue me.

Anyway, cool beans. As soon as I finish Dragon Age Origins and KOTOR, I might either be sick of or in love with Bioware RPG's. Whether I ever play Baldur's gate depends on which one.

If could edit titles I would. I get a bit dyslexic when distracted and yesterday was a busy day. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

D&D; 2.5 is not the be-all end-all of fun. Neither is 4th.

The thing I actually like about 4th is that your actual tactics during the fight are important, unlike 3.5 where the most important thing was to exploit the system until you are an unkillable god. Tactics, positioning, working in tandem or having combinations between players... It was just Get A Big Number. Then again, my munchkin player broke 4th Ed too, so whatever. I would like a turn based, grid based video game based on 4th. There's a lot of database calls in 4th that would be greatly expedited by an automatic calculator.

My only misgiving about Baldur's Gate is real time with pause. Because the pathfinding in almost all games fucking sucks. Imagine playing tabletop D&D; where everyone acted at once. Give me either turn based strategy or real time action.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By Justin258

@lockwoodx said:

@believer258 said:

Baldur, not Baulder.

Yeah, I'll go get my grammar nazi cap now. Sue me.

Anyway, cool beans. As soon as I finish Dragon Age Origins and KOTOR, I might either be sick of or in love with Bioware RPG's. Whether I ever play Baldur's gate depends on which one.

If could edit titles I would. I get a bit dyslexic when distracted and yesterday was a busy day. :)

As has been pointed out to me twice, I misspelled your misspelling. So I guess we're even... in some manner?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Gaff

@Brodehouse said:

D&D; 2.5 is not the be-all end-all of fun. Neither is 4th. The thing I actually like about 4th is that your actual tactics during the fight are important, unlike 3.5 where the most important thing was to exploit the system until you are an unkillable god. Tactics, positioning, working in tandem or having combinations between players... It was just Get A Big Number. Then again, my munchkin player broke 4th Ed too, so whatever. I would like a turn based, grid based video game based on 4th. There's a lot of database calls in 4th that would be greatly expedited by an automatic calculator. My only misgiving about Baldur's Gate is real time with pause. Because the pathfinding in almost all games fucking sucks. Imagine playing tabletop D&D; where everyone acted at once. Give me either turn based strategy or real time action.

This.

Also: THAC0. My head hurts thinking about it.

Also: playing melee classes before 3.5 or 4 was an exercise in complete helplessness next to the caster classes.

And not to pour cold water on this thread but... Doesn't Atari hold the DnD license now? Not sure how far that licensing agreement goes though (legacy, ie old, versions of DnD). And doesn't Baldur's Gate run on the Infinity Engine, which is BioWare's?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By Red

Timer's up by now, but the site isn't working. Any news on what it is?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By jakob187
    Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Istealdreams

here is a screengrab from when the site actually loads up properly:

No Caption Provided
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By Skald
    donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By donkeycow

I'm pretty excited for this, maybe it will include full voice work... although i don't know if i could get used to a new cast of voice actors. Hopefully it will include full voice acting with as many of the original actors as possible.... yea let's go with that.

Edit: Also how did this small studio manage to get the rights to one of the most legendary franchises in western RPG history? Did Wizards own all the rights to Baldur's Gate not Bioware?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By VoshiNova

Count me in! I never finished them and would love an excuse to play.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#77  Edited By AndrewB

@Donkeycow said:

I'm pretty excited for this, maybe it will include full voice work... although i don't know if i could get used to a new cast of voice actors.

You... you shut up! They change one voice actor (except maybe Nalia) and it's not the same game any more.

Well, actually they shouldn't have a problem getting back a lot of the cast because they still do voice work for other video games (and lots of RPGs) to this day. They won't though. It seems like the goal of this project is to port the Baldur's Gate series to the newest enhanced version of the Infinity Engine (and oh my god, I would be all over that). It doesn't sound to me like voice acting is in the budget, but this is all coming out of my ass, so I could obviously be wrong.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By donkeycow

@AndrewB: I just feel that full voice acting is an important aspect of immersion in the modern RPG, and would be one of the easiest ways to update the game. Perhaps they could supply an option for original voice acting or the new complete voice work. But i'm all in regardless, even if all it is is a version of BG compatible with modern hardware.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AndrewB

@Donkeycow: But the game is already compatible with modern hardware. I've run it on every computer I've owned since its release, from Windows ME through to Windows 8, and even virtualized in Linux and OSX. For the original game you need a resolution unlocking mod (the widescreen patch), which yeah I guess that could be built in, but otherwise the Infinity Engine has always been solid.

I actually agree on the voice acting. The hardest part of going back to that game for me is not having everything voiced. At least having every main character piece of dialog spoken would be a dream come true.

Actually... the hardest part is the D&D 2nd Edition ruleset, and it would be interesting to see if they went with 3rd edition, like was done with Icewind Dale 2 as the last Infinity Engine game.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ekajarmstro

Isn't 5th edition coming out soon? Could the remake use that? I honestly hope it uses 3rd edition like Icewind Dale 2, but that will almost certainly not happen.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By donkeycow

@AndrewB: I tried to run BG again 2 years ago or so but had so many graphical issues that it wasn't worth pursuing, might have just been my bad luck. Also i totally agree about 2nd edition ruleset, i have no recollection of how it works but i still maintain a working knowledge of 3.x and a shift to that would be a god send.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By AndrewB

@EkajArmstro said:

Isn't 5th edition coming out soon? Could the remake use that? I honestly hope it uses 3rd edition like Icewind Dale 2, but that will almost certainly not happen.

Even a transition to the 3rd edition would break game balance and require a ton of reworking. 4th and forward, given how different 4th is (not sure if they're reverting with 5, as I know literally nothing about it) would be unfeasible, which is why I didn't suggest it.

@Donkeycow said:

@AndrewB: I tried to run BG again 2 years ago or so but had so many graphical issues that it wasn't worth pursuing, might have just been my bad luck. Also i totally agree about 2nd edition ruleset, i have no recollection of how it works but i still maintain a working knowledge of 3.x and a shift to that would be a god send.

I think the only times I've ever had graphical issues was with 3D acceleration turned on with OSes past Vista, but all I had to do was disable that (it's not needed considering the game requires a 100mhz processor) and it worked fine.

Agree on 3rd edition. My knowledge is more fresh and it's just better (THAC0... ugh).

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83  Edited By MrMazz

O goody ive never gotten the chance to play those games hopefully it comes out on PC and not just iOS like its rumored

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By donkeycow

@MrMazz: Actually i believe i read on the escapist (DON'T YOU DARE JUDGE ME! I got lost and needed directions) that it is PC only as of now. Going to be selling through some online retailer i've never heard of and also possibly Steam.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By liako21

holly shit i am sooooo pumped. woooow. about time. and on top of it they are more or less still using the infinity engine!!

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By JazGalaxy

@AndrewB said:

@Donkeycow: But the game is already compatible with modern hardware. I've run it on every computer I've owned since its release, from Windows ME through to Windows 8, and even virtualized in Linux and OSX. For the original game you need a resolution unlocking mod (the widescreen patch), which yeah I guess that could be built in, but otherwise the Infinity Engine has always been solid.

I actually agree on the voice acting. The hardest part of going back to that game for me is not having everything voiced. At least having every main character piece of dialog spoken would be a dream come true.

Actually... the hardest part is the D&D 2nd Edition ruleset, and it would be interesting to see if they went with 3rd edition, like was done with Icewind Dale 2 as the last Infinity Engine game.

ew, no. I need all voice acting or no voice acting. Anything else makes it seem like you've gone deaf temporarily.

I'm fine with reading text. I prefer it to voice acting, usually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.