Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

The First Bastion Reviews Are In

• 197 results
    m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By m0rdr3d
    @Siphillis said:

@Napalm said:

@m0rdr3d said:

@thoseposers said:                    

@m0rdr3d: vast coffers? they're indie              

That's how they secured this promo deal with Giant Bomb, right?  No, no.  They're all getting paid, my man. Don't fall for it.

Secured the deal? Giant Bomb stated before [Giant Bomb was an actual thing] that they wanted to do things differently, and at some point they wanted to a highlight a games progress from inception to completion. It just so happened their former coworker/editor had moved to the idie team at Supergiant Games, and they got in contact with them and decided to follow them as they built a game.  It's also why Giant Bomb have gone on record to say that they are not reviewing Bastion.  So yeah, shut the fuck up.

How are you guys this bad at detecting sarcasm?   Unless you're all being sarcastic, and I'm the one failing to detect it.

No, they're definitely brilliant.  Must be you.
    Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Freezer_Burn

Always a fan of the Sterling hate, and how he's only a troll when he differs from the norm. Anyways, it's good that it's reviewing so well. I wasn't all interested in it, but will pick it up eventually.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By jozzy

@chickenpotpi said:

Haha I was gonna comment in regards to the DToid review but I see it's beating a dead horse. All I'm gonna say is that Sterling's entitled to his opinions, and people are entitled to completely disregard them. I've never agreed with most of his ratings so I just don't factor them into my purchases anymore.

More on topic with the thread itself, I'm glad to see it reviewing so well. I'm loving the game myself.

If I remember he was pretty critical about Limbo as well, which was also a reviewer artsy indy favorite. Lot's of people felt let down after playing it themselves, and I am curious to see if Bastion will have a similar fate. Where the demo of Limbo blew me away but the full game didn't quite hold up, the demo of Bastion didn't really grab me at all (but the full game might?). The narrator seemed more gimmicky than impressive to me.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#154  Edited By I_smell

@thoseposers said:

@Vitor said:

@thoseposers said:

yeah that Destructoid one is a bit shocking

No offense to him but, it's Jim Sterling, what did you expect? Dude's entitled to his own opinion but that opinion is usually as far left of the mainstream as possible.

I've never been on Destructoid and i've only heard a bit about Jim Sterling and how crazy he can be, i only noticed it was him that had written it after i read a bit of the review so then i understood why it was so sharp

Yeah, same. He keeps refering to the person reading as "one":

"There is fun to be had with Bastion, most certainly, but my advice is to keep one's expectations low."

What a cock.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#155  Edited By Claude

Jim Sterling is my hero. He would give this thread a 4 out of 10. You can hate better Giant Bomb.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#156  Edited By I_smell

Oh and I didn't think I'd be all that into this game, but now hearing that you can upgrade weapons n craft shit, and the idols thing, and the arena thing... I'm definately getting the demo.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#157  Edited By iDarktread

I bought it this morning, and honestly, it's great.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By captain_clayman

ugh jim sterling.  he's such a downer.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By LiquidS

Hopefully out on PC soon, will pick up if I have my new computer going.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#160  Edited By LegalBagel

Oh Jim Sterling. Never change. You can make some criticisms of the game, but calling the combat "button mashing" is just flatly wrong unless you like death or make no effort to experiment.

After a few hours I'm loving the game. The variations you can try in combat strategy, builds, and weapon combos are crazy awesome. I've tried 3 different weapon combinations so far, all worked, and all were wildly different in how I approached battles. I feel like the story is still ramping up, but it's still got me hooked.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#161  Edited By Hailinel

@I_smell said:

@thoseposers said:

@Vitor said:

@thoseposers said:

No offense to him but, it's Jim Sterling, what did you expect? Dude's entitled to his own opinion but that opinion is usually as far left of the mainstream as possible.

I've never been on Destructoid and i've only heard a bit about Jim Sterling and how crazy he can be, i only noticed it was him that had written it after i read a bit of the review so then i understood why it was so sharp

"There is fun to be had with Bastion, most certainly, but my advice is to keep one's expectations low."

What a cock.

It's legitimately good grammar.

Also, wow, did this thread turn into a Jim Sterling thread in record time or what?

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Klaimore

Of course Jim Sterling....

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By vitor

@Hailinel said:

@I_smell said:

@thoseposers said:

@Vitor said:

@thoseposers said:

What a cock.

Also, wow, did this thread turn into a Jim Sterling thread in record time or what?

A review from D-toid got posted, it was bound to happen sooner or later...

But yeah, kinda wish I hadn't brought him up in my original post - kind of knew this would happen! Which is a shame, as full attention should really be being paid to how awesome Bastion is.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Hailinel

@Vitor said:

@Hailinel said:

@I_smell said:

@thoseposers said:

@Vitor said:

@thoseposers said:

What a cock.

A review from D-toid got posted, it was bound to happen sooner or later...

But yeah, kinda wish I hadn't brought him up in my original post - kind of knew this would happen! Which is a shame, as full attention should really be being paid to how awesome Bastion is.

If it wasn't you, it would have been someone else. Once a Jim Sterling review is referenced, the fate of the thread is sealed.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By turbo_toaster

Destructoid being the only outlet who gave it a middle-of-the-road score doesn't surprise me. Though I do kind of wonder what the hell they were playing, I've never had an issue with attacks of any range hitting their target, it just takes a bit of refinement. Plus there's an auto-lock which works just fine. I'm terrible at video games yet my attacks at all ranges worked just fine, my only conclusion is they're worse at games than I am. Yikes!

As for the narrative, could they possibly have been more nitpicky about it? I find it's either more dynamic or on par with that of Portal 2, and for an indie dev to really impress in that area is commendable for sure. Ah well, it's just Destructoid. Nobody listens to them anyway.

EDIT: I'm learning so much about Jim Sterling in dis thread lol

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Jackel2072

@Turbo_Toaster said:

Destructoid being the only outlet who gave it a middle-of-the-road score doesn't surprise me. Though I do kind of wonder what the hell they were playing, I've never had an issue with attacks of any range hitting their target, it just takes a bit of refinement. Plus there's an auto-lock which works just fine. I'm terrible at video games yet my attacks at all ranges worked just fine, my only conclusion is they're worse at games than I am. Yikes!

As for the narrative, could they possibly have been more nitpicky about it? I find it's either more dynamic or on par with that of Portal 2, and for an indie dev to really impress in that area is commendable for sure. Ah well, it's just Destructoid. Nobody listens to them anyway.

EDIT: I'm learning so much about Jim Sterling in dis thread lol

you know i am having issues with the aiming. it seems like for me the kids first shot is always any where but where an enemy is. The auto lock is also kind of tripping me out. he always seems to lock onto the least treating target on the screen. maybe im crazy, but i dont feel like i have any control. =/

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Hailinel said:

@I_smell said:

@thoseposers said:

@Vitor said:

@thoseposers said:

What a cock.

Well Jim is being quite the obnoxious arsehole to knock the game down so many percentage due to it having a narration system which only one other game had in the last decade. A game which was neither critically, nor financially successful on the whole and a game which many RPG purists scoffed at. But then that's Jim, being obnoxious to get people riled up so that they'll remember his name. What a fucking turd of a male specimen he is. I'd punch the shit out of him but it wouldn't be worth my time - I'd be there for months. And anyway how do you punch the shit out of shit?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#168  Edited By fattony12000
    "one" 
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#169  Edited By ChillyUK7

It's worth noting that the narrator, despite all the hype surrounding his ability to dynamically commentate your progress, is mostly a case of smoke-and-mirrors. He's not really that dynamic, only making a few token comments on fairly standard activities. 

Huhh? Of course it's smoke and mirrors all dialogue in any game is, how would they possibly make it fully dynamic? if they recorded lines for every possible outcome they would still be developing the game now, or try and program some sort of natural sounding voice over that manages to not constantly narrate but recognasises what your doing and the over arching story AHH my brain hurts. So far im enjoying the game and I find the extensive narration really cool, it's a unique feature I haven't experienced in a game before.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Funkydupe

Well done to the devs! Good reviews.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#171  Edited By dagas

That's good reviews except from that guy being a dick.

"Even the art style, as pretty as it is, makes one think of the types of casual RPGs you see advertised on Web site banner ads"

I can write a review like that too. "CoD is a great shooter, but it makes me think of poop on a stick, hence it follows that CoD is no better than poop on a stick." Some great logic there.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#172  Edited By Sooperspy
    @m0rdr3d said:
    @thoseposers said:

@m0rdr3d: vast coffers? they're indie

That's how they secured this promo deal with Giant Bomb, right?  No, no.  They're all getting paid, my man. Don't fall for it.
    Can't...tell...if...serious.
    Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Nentisys

Glad this is doing well. (review wise)

Can't wait for the PC version!

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#174  Edited By Cincaid

@Nentisys said:

Glad this is doing well. (review wise)

Can't wait for the PC version!

Hope for your sake it's here soon! Downloaded the XBLA version today and having a blast so far.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#175  Edited By ajamafalous

Typical Jim Sterling.

Anyway, good to see it garnering such acclaim. I'll be sure to pick it up when they release the PC version.

GhosthH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By GhosthH

The game is freakin' great and anyone whom doesn't give it kudos has a cold black heart.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By BasketSnake

I finished it just now. I really liked how the narrator stayed with me through the whole game allowing me to PLAY the game instead of reading text. Brilliant. Other than that I think it looks great and plays great. Worth the money.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By BBQBram

@Jolt92 said:

Jim Sterling giving it a mediocre review? Instant buy.

ZING

lokilaufey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By lokilaufey

@jozzy said:

@chickenpotpi said:

Haha I was gonna comment in regards to the DToid review but I see it's beating a dead horse. All I'm gonna say is that Sterling's entitled to his opinions, and people are entitled to completely disregard them. I've never agreed with most of his ratings so I just don't factor them into my purchases anymore.

More on topic with the thread itself, I'm glad to see it reviewing so well. I'm loving the game myself.

If I remember he was pretty critical about Limbo as well, which was also a reviewer artsy indy favorite. Lot's of people felt let down after playing it themselves, and I am curious to see if Bastion will have a similar fate. Where the demo of Limbo blew me away but the full game didn't quite hold up, the demo of Bastion didn't really grab me at all (but the full game might?). The narrator seemed more gimmicky than impressive to me.

You're remembering right. He (usually) tends to be critical of stuff that are industry darlings or indie favorites.

Re: the narrator: It's a nice addition that adds atmosphere to the game, it's not the focal point. I haven't found it either amazing or gimmicky, it's just a nice aspect of the presentation.

I dunno about other people, but I've been loving the game for a sum of many parts (nice atmosphere, beautiful graphics and music, visual design, fun combat) than just any one feature. Sadly it hasn't seemed to have caught on with my gaming circle, which I quite frankly find annoying and ironic considering they are constantly kvetching about how things need to be more unique and colorful...

phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By phonics

Haha I took a look at this saw the 6.5 and the first thought that came to mind was Jim Sterling.  Sad thing is there are hundreds of people who take this mans reviews to heart.

God bless

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Hailinel

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hailinel said:

@I_smell said:

@thoseposers said:

@Vitor said:

@thoseposers said:

What a cock.

Well Jim is being quite the obnoxious arsehole to knock the game down so many percentage due to it having a narration system which only one other game had in the last decade. A game which was neither critically, nor financially successful on the whole and a game which many RPG purists scoffed at. But then that's Jim, being obnoxious to get people riled up so that they'll remember his name. What a fucking turd of a male specimen he is. I'd punch the shit out of him but it wouldn't be worth my time - I'd be there for months. And anyway how do you punch the shit out of shit?

That's over the top. Sterling may be abrasive and purposely contrary, but that doesn't warrant calling him shit and harboring a desire to beat him. He's allowed to say what he feels, even if the majority don't agree with him.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#182  Edited By Kyreo

I'm so glad this game did well.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Hailinel said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hailinel said:

@I_smell said:

@thoseposers said:

@Vitor said:

@thoseposers said:

What a cock.

That's over the top. Sterling may be abrasive and purposely contrary, but that doesn't warrant calling him shit and harboring a desire to beat him. He's allowed to say what he feels, even if the majority don't agree with him.

The last two sentences were exemplifications of his style of commentary and not be taken seriously.

Dr_Perscitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Dr_Perscitus

What the hell is worng with you people... its just a review. ones persons opinion.  

At the end of the day he gave the game a 6.5 out of ten (last ime I checked this is above average, i.e. 5). The text also refers to the fact he liked the game. For gods sake how many of you would have been pissed if you had gotten 65% on an exam! 

And to the two people arguing about removing high an low values when expressing a mean (average)... you are both wrong and you should go back to your maths teachers and ask them why.

Results exceding the standard deviation of the mean (or occasionally the standard error of the mean) can be higlighted as outliers. However most scientists (like me) would use a confindence interval to express this kind of data. Jim's result is just outside of the 95% confidence interval of the mean, but at the moment there arent enough datapoints to make a signifcant conclusion.
    AaronBerning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By AaronBerning
    @MattyFTM: Thanks man!
    notsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#186  Edited By notsonic

the number is inconsequential for sterling's review. my problem is that its factually inaccurate and and seems to be based entirely on his incorrect expectations for the game. it reads like he thought bastion was going to be something else before actually playing it and held to that preconceived notion the entire way through and knocked the game for not being what he thought it was.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#187  Edited By Yanngc33

Happy Bastion is getting good reviews, also happy that gb has chosen not to review it, that review could've been mighty akward

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By bakumatsu

Anyone saw the AtomicGamer review? http://www.atomicgamer.com/articles/1292/bastion-review

Here's some things from the review that made me cringe my teeth:

Actually, if I'm completely honest, more than an hour of listening to this gravelly chronicler is extremely irritating. I mean, when you walk across a room, do you really need a voice that sounds like a chain-smoking cowboy to say, “The Kid walked across the room”? And that's the other thing; somehow the voice itself just doesn't fit the overall character of the game.Bastion’s artwork makes it look like some sort of anime-inspired fantasy while the narrator sounds like he belongs in a saloon in Dodge City. This disconnect wouldn't be quite so bad if only you didn't have to tolerate itthroughout the entire game

What the hell is he talking about? Isn't the narration a dinsticitve element of the game? If the game was made with that concept in mind, what is he complaining about?

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By benson
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#190  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @Hailinel said: 

If he's simply being contrary, that's innately not his opinion, so that argument is kind of null and void - it's not what he feels, it's what helps get website hits. I agree with the rest of that though, just trying to get clear up that point.  
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Coombs
    @Vitor said:

@VilhelmNielsen: After his 1/10 Kane and Lynch 2 review (and, to a lesser extent, the 4/10 Assassin's Creed 2 one), I've learnt to just accept that I'll likely rarely, if ever agree with his appraisals of most games.

But let's not side track this thread - Bastion looks awesome! Can't wait for it to make it onto PC.

Seriously 4/10 for AC2? 

Guys has some..... interesting taste in games
    daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By daggon55

I still think someone needs to adopt the Brodeo scale of giving a review score thats just some object.

I give Bastion a score of ... Apple Juice.

jon93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By jon93

I have to hold back my initial feeling of total fucking hatred for Jim Sterling, that's not something for this thread and mostly it's just a stream of expletives and jokes about how ugly and untalented he is.

For me, Bastion is totally game of the year material and all the review minus the ones that are complete bullshit and made just to get hits are right on the nose.

If you are on the fence, get the demo. That's all there is to say.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By ArcLyte

one more reason to not take destructoid seriously.

Moonling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Moonling
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#196  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @benson said:

Don't lose your mind over Jim Sterling's opinion, he's a troll and a moron. For a compilation of some of his own brand of assholery: http://gamersareembarrassing.wordpress.com/category/destructoid/trenchbloat/

Exactly why would one go that site? why listen to a blog about why a person thinks every one else is an idiot? 
    any one know when we will get a giantbomb review of bastion? we have a review of from dust and twisted shadow planet...both released after bastion...but no bastion...
    benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By benson

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@benson said:

Don't lose your mind over Jim Sterling's opinion, he's a troll and a moron. For a compilation of some of his own brand of assholery: http://gamersareembarrassing.wordpress.com/category/destructoid/trenchbloat/

Exactly why would one go that site? why listen to a blog about why a person thinks every one else is an idiot?

Because it's not about saying "everyone one else is an idiot" and more about exposing and making fun of some of the creepiest aspects of gaming culture?

@WilliamRLBaker said:

any one know when we will get a giantbomb review of bastion? we have a review of from dust and twisted shadow planet...both released after bastion...but no bastion...

They've said they will not review Bastion because they are friends with the team and they have spent too much time closely following Bastion's development to have an objective opinion about it.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#198  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @benson said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@benson said:

Exactly why would one go that site? why listen to a blog about why a person thinks every one else is an idiot?

Because it's not about saying "everyone one else is an idiot" and more about exposing and making fun of some of the creepiest aspects of gaming culture?

@WilliamRLBaker said:

They've said they will not review Bastion because they are friends with the team and they have spent too much time closely following Bastion's development to have an objective opinion about it.

Did not know that. Oh well

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.