Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

64 players on PC, 24 on consoles.

• 78 results
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By emem

They would only have to put up servers for consoles as well to make it work or even better set up cross-platform servers. ;) Okay, I guess that will never happen.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By chrissedoff
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " I doubt the PC version will have 64 players. I think everyones forgetting that Battlefield 2142 had 124 players on some maps.  "
    I don't think that's accurate at all. I have over 400 hours in 2142 and the max is 32v32. "
    why would you do that
    VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By VierasTalo

I really don't quite get why people get this excited over the number of players that can play the game. I mean it's a multiplayer so the number of players can just amount to more crazy lone wolf snipers unless DICE manage to designate not only restrictions to the number of classes per match but also, and most importantly, design maps so that the action is always concentrated on one or at best two spots so that it doesn't become people wondering around a huge map and occasionally shooting each other ala Battlefield DC. Really, I think BC2 on the PC did terribly well in designating action to certain hot spots rather than allowing for wild, free-roaming action. This is on that m-com mode that is, haven't really played the other modes thus far. Reminds me of ET: Quake Wars, the king of aligning fights to certain areas and making sure people don't go wandering off. It's a difficult challenge to pull off larger player counts in a proper way with any other match type than DM or TDM, and I sure hope DICE can do it.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Binman88

Can't say I ever really enjoyed anything more than 32 - 48 players in a single map in BF2, but this is good news.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By toowalrus

Rad

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @VierasTalo said:
    "  I think BC2 on the PC did terribly well in designating action to certain hot spots rather than allowing for wild, free-roaming action. "
    I played both Bad Companies and started with Battlefield with 1942 (in 2002).   By "designating action to certain hot spots," do you mean "always including choke points/meat grinders/nade spam areas"?   Even in the original Bad Company, you had more space to maneuver and outflank your opponent.  BC2 original maps felt like a meatgrinder and Vietnam maps are similar, as well (the first two objectives in Vantage point especiialy)  Not every map has to be shaped like a funnel.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By AhmadMetallic

all i know is that im so happy i can fuck a tree right now

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58  Edited By KaosAngel

...lol, only 12v12 on console.  Wonderful.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By jmfinamore
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " @Jayross said:

64 players seem appropriate for PC, and the disparity between the consoles shows that the PC version will be significantly better than the console version. Hopefully DICE will be putting in the proper amount of work to create a great game. 

That's fucking ridiculous. Number of players isn't proportional to quality. The PC version won't be 2.66667 times better than the console versions. I don't know how they're making the maps and everything, but there's a chance it could be better on consoles. It all depends on how they design the levels, whether they make them for a medium or large number of players. I know MAG boasts a shitload of players, and Resistance 2 had 80-player deathmatch. However, you don't hear about them often. "  
    I really agree with this. To me, the Battlefield experience was never about how many people were in the game, but how free form it was. BC2's major shortcoming was, like someone mentioned, how funneled everything was. The most important aspect to making a game feel populated is to correctly balance player count with size and respawn time. Unless you're going for some larger than life feel (like those WW2 continent sim games; which Battlefield has never was), a 32 or 64 player count is more than enough.  

It still boggles my mind that they can't raise the limit on consoles though. With the amount of games that have gotten high counts and done it without technical problems, you'd think other studios could do it.
    Designer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Designer0

I haven't played a lot of shooters lately, so i haven't bought BC2. But I have played both 1943 and Heroes and the biggest problem with both those game is the low player limit. Playing a huge map like Wake island with less than 20 players, you just won't get a lot of action. For me the sweetspot in BF2 and 2142 was 40-50 players on a medium("32player") map or 32 players on a small("16 player") map. I like my battlefields to be a bit crowded. Was never a fan of the huge 64 player battles, but i know that many are. So with this it seems like everyone wins. Everyone that still plays shooters on PC at least ^^

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By big_jon

I hope the console gets atleast 32 players, 24 from 64 is pretty gimped sounding... 
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62  Edited By Jayross
    @ThreeMegabytes
    @Jayross said:
    " http://www.gameinformer.com/games/battlefield_3/b/xbox360/default.aspx  (check the "multiplayer" tab) 

While not 100% accurate, the GameInformer website lists BF3 as support 64 players on PC and 24 on consoles. Given that they have the exclusive, the number is probably accurate. ' 

64 players seem appropriate for PC, and the disparity between the consoles shows that the PC version will be significantly better than the console version. Hopefully DICE will be putting in the proper amount of work to create a great game. 

However, the GameInformer website also refers to a "single-player" mode... is this a tutorial? Bot matches? An actual singleplayer a la Bad Company? We won't know until tomorrow... 

So 24 players on consoles... seems very low, and is a clear indication that you will want to buy Battlefield 3 for PC when it comes out later this year. "
    Most people can't play BF3 on their computers.
    I would argue that nobody can play BF3 on their computers because it won't be out for another year.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63  Edited By FesteringNeon
    @big_jon said:
    " I hope the console gets atleast 32 players, 24 from 64 is pretty gimped sounding...  "
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MrKlorox
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " I doubt the PC version will have 64 players. I think everyones forgetting that Battlefield 2142 had 124 players on some maps.  "
    I don't think that's accurate at all. I have over 400 hours in 2142 and the max is 32v32. "
    why would you do that "
    A better question is why wouldn't you?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MrKlorox
    @bitcloud:  Support with the Clark 15B shotgun once NS came out. The EMP grenades and the infantry detector were my favorite tools. Before that I mostly used engineer. But over all the EMP grenades were my favorite BF, uh, weapon... even though they can't harm soldiers.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By salad10203

I doubt that is right.  I bet PS3 and Xbox 360 will both have their player counts upped as well, probably around 30-40.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#70  Edited By Geno

If they're actually separating them, then I'm glad the developers have finally realized that there's a difference between PC and console. 

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By SomeJerk

The problem with upping the player count at least on the 360 is that MS have a limit on the bandwidth a customer's machine can go through, those numbers also take into consideration Live chat traffic if this bird whispered correctly into my ear, which puts an even harder pressure on developers. The original Unreal Tournament generated about 7kbps of traffic as an example, some of you remember the netcode in that. Some of you also remember the netcode in Blops PC on a dedicated server that you have 20-20 ms ping to.

And then Sony comes along and brings out MAG..

voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By voodooterror

so according to this thread everybody who says anything against the pc, even if it is a legitimate point, is a troll

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#73  Edited By Jayross

I'm still hopping that DICE will announce 32 players+ for PS3 at E3...

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " Actually, according to the Sony E3 Conference, BF3 will have 64-players on the PS3 version. I also heard that the 360 will have 32. "
    Whatever the play count is, I hope to god that they are two different games.  One for consoles and the actual game on the PC.  Don't gimp my battlefield.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#75  Edited By Marz

makes sense they limit the amount of players on the console, they don't have a ton of memory to work with so there is probably performance issues from having more players.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Twitchey
    @Tru3_Blu3:  Sweeeeeeeeeeeet I hope.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ryanwho

I don't need more than 24 people anyway its just chaos beyond that /sweetlemons

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#78  Edited By Jace
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " @Jayross said:

That's fucking ridiculous. Number of players isn't proportional to quality. The PC version won't be 2.66667 times better than the console versions. I don't know how they're making the maps and everything, but there's a chance it could be better on consoles. It all depends on how they design the levels, whether they make them for a medium or large number of players. I know MAG boasts a shitload of players, and Resistance 2 had 80-player deathmatch. However, you don't hear about them often. "
    HAHAHA, keep telling yourself that buddy. BF3 will destroy the console counterparts. And in more ways than player cap too.
    boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By boj4ngles
    @Jayross said:
    "http://www.gameinformer.com/games/battlefield_3/b/xbox360/default.aspx  (check the "multiplayer" tab) 

While not 100% accurate, the GameInformer website lists BF3 as support 64 players on PC and 24 on consoles. Given that they have the exclusive, the number is probably accurate. ' 

However, the GameInformer website also refers to a "single-player" mode... is this a tutorial? Bot matches? An actual singleplayer a la Bad Company? We won't know until tomorrow... 

So 24 players on consoles... seems very low, and is a clear indication that you will want to buy Battlefield 3 for PC when it comes out later this year. "

Won't believe this unless I see it in print in the the magazine.  For one thing, jets don't work on smaller scale 24 player maps.  There just isn't enough room to do anything but fly circles.  Also, people have brought up the good point that designing a 24 player and 64 player game is like designing two different games, which they have repeatedly said they are not doing.

DICE is simply not known for making "ports" in the classic sense.  With the BC series and 1943, they set out to make games that were going to be consistent no matter where you played them.  I find it highly unlikely that DICE is designing BF3 as a proper sequel to BF2 and then making a console version that just has all the maps cut in half.  However that is what a 64 v 24 player count suggests.  Therefore I don't believe it.  I suspect it might be more like 64 v 40, and I even wouldn't be surprised if we are going to hear a Microsoft announcement about opening up bandwidth limits.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By scarace360

So why cant they do 64 players on consoles
    Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Sogeman
    @scarace360 said:
    " So why cant they do 64 players on consoles "
    Mostly bandwith though another big reason should be the whole destruction thing.

I raged a bit when the first post with the, (on PC), in it came out, but I'll reserve judgement until the reveal on March 1st.

My PC certainly can't handle the game and look good at the same time so I'm stuck with the console version (360). If they pull a Portal and make the PS3 the real console version I think I'll just get a Playstation and declare the death of the 360.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#82  Edited By flaminghobo

I do hope that they are able to keep the 64 player count, or get as close as possible, on the console versions. It just wouldn't be Battlefield without a large map with a large player count.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By gamb1t
    @m0rdr3d said:
    " @RE_Player92: Yeah, I don't get that. Isn't MAG supposed to be able to run 128+ players at a time?? Why can't Battlefield 3 make it happen? "
    Because MAG is a very narrow fps shooter as opposed to Battlefields crazy diverse gameplay.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#84  Edited By Wuddel

Ok, guys. So you are telling me the only reason consoles can not do a higher player count is that Microsoft has a bandwidth limit for games? This has nothing to do with processing power/memory? I mean PCs had 64 player games even at times when their specs were comparable to the current console generation. (Well game engines where not as complicated as Frostbite.)

Obviously DICE will not make 3 versions with a small version for the 360, an intermediate for the PS3 and a big one for the PC. So the PS3 apparently able to do 128 players will not help much.

I own BC2 for PS3 and PC (trying to learn keyboard+mouse: but not much fun really), and I can tell you that the maps even in that are somewhat different already. So do not worry. All versions will be a lot of fun, and thats really all I need. But I am still hoping that they can upgrade the PS3 version to near the PC level.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By amir90

As long as PC version is 64 players , couldn't give a rat ass about console versions.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#86  Edited By jakob187
    @Laketown said:
    " yeah, but are they going to create 64 player maps or just create one map than everyone uses? because then 64 players is way too much for a smaller map "
    Typically, all of the maps are fully designed in terms of geometry for 64 players, but there are borders placed for "out of bounds" areas when you are on a 32 or 16 player map.  Therefore, if it was for less people, they would just throw up boundaries. 

Also, I don't really understand all the logistics of why you couldn't do 64 player matches on console...but...it totally seems like you could do 64 players on console.  However, without dedicated servers, I could see where that would be a chore...and especially if they are setting it up to where one of the player's console is the "server" for the game.  However, I don't believe that was the case on Bad Company 2, so I don't know why they'd do that here. 

I really do hope they can get at least 32 players on the maps in the console versions, as my favorite versions of most Battlefield 2 maps were the 32 player versions in the first place.  It may not be the massive gangfuck that is 64-player matches, but it's definitely closer than 24.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Spoonman671

Frankly, I don't think any of this is all that meaningful until we know more about this game.  Discussing player counts seems silly when we don't really know what the maps will even be like, or how accurate the weapons will be.

Also, for those asking about it, MAG had a 256 player limit.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MrKlorox

There will probably be twice or THRICE the number of maps on console than PC, but totaling to the same amount of landmass between the two platforms. For all the work they put into making the large 64 player maps, it sure would sound silly for them to lock the consoles out of the majority the landmass. Therefore they'll probably chop up the 64 player maps into halves or thirds and make multiple console sized "maps" out of them. Hopefully the multiple smaller cordons make it to PC as well for folks who want smaller matches at times.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By scarace360
    @Sogeman said:
    " @scarace360 said:
    " So why cant they do 64 players on consoles "
    Mostly bandwith though another big reason should be the whole destruction thing.      I raged a bit when the first post with the, (on PC), in it came out, but I'll reserve judgement until the reveal on March 1st.   My PC certainly can't handle the game and look good at the same time so I'm stuck with the console version (360). If they pull a Portal and make the PS3 the real console version I think I'll just get a Playstation and declare the death of the 360. "

So why can they do it on ps3 but not 360?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

i am totally fine with only 24/32 on the consoles(Maybe only xbox) 

with the lower fidelity of the aiming and controls on the xbox, i think its for the better.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By fjordson
    @Wuddel said:

" Ok, guys. So you are telling me the only reason consoles can not do a higher player count is that Microsoft has a bandwidth limit for games? "

Pretty much. They've said this themselves.

I'll certainly be getting this on PC, but I'd be willing to bet that the console versions will be pretty good as well. After Bad Company and MoH you'd think DICE has learned a lot when it comes to doing large scale multiplayer on consoles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.