Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 Gameinformer Coverstory and Artwork

• 80 results
    Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Aurelito

You came to a typical orange-blue contrast cover art?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Seppli said:
    " @Andorski said:

" lawl... they are going to console-fy it. "

Not getting how you guys manage to read so much into one sentence one of gameinformer's editors wrote. All he says is, that DICE is about to kick CoD's ass. That they're about to make the CoD franchise look old and dated. Once again revolutionize online multiplayer FPS games, as they did with BF 1942, respectively BF2.  Making the better game. Certainly not following CoDs blueprint. Battlefield 3 is their marquis title. It's DICE's identity. It's not gonna be BF:CoD. It's gonna be BF3 and it's gonna kick major ass. The CoDs and the likes better watch out, the king is about to ride back into town. "
    that sounded fucking awesome. /followed 

@Mikemcn said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" omg  edit: actually, poster boy looks so much like BC2's ... this isnt good news :( "

It looks like meaty soldier man, I have no issues with that. Also, he has a red dot sight, everyone likes red dot sights. "
    yes they do ! 

@Eneko said:
    " Please please please play like battlefield and not bad company (not that it was bad) "
    i hope so :( 

@extremeradical said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " I don't know why they need to take on Call of Duty when they happen to make better games in the first place. "
    Because money. "
    ya !
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MrKlorox said:

" @Gabriel:  It sure does.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    "
           they're coming for us 
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Jimbo
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " How many times has Dice set its sights on Call of Duty now?  Three? "
    Once, Medal of Honour's latest outing. DICE has otherwise always aimed at their own audience. "
    BC, BC2, Medal of Honor (and soon BF3) have all come out since CoD4 made modern military FPS mega huge on console.  It's all the same audience.  They haven't come close to CoD's level of success so far, and I don't expect this time to be any different.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Hitchenson

PC's already confirmed for 64 player cap, I'm sold. Jets and prone as well you say? Fucking right. The whole focus on DX11 sounds great also.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Binman88
    @Jimbo said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    Once, Medal of Honour's latest outing. DICE has otherwise always aimed at their own audience. "
    BC, BC2, Medal of Honor (and soon BF3) have all come out since CoD4 made modern military FPS mega huge on console.  It's all the same audience.  They haven't come close to CoD's level of success so far, and I don't expect this time to be any different. "
    I remember, this one time, I was playing BC2 and having fun until I realised other games sold better than it and I immediately stopped having fun. 
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By fjordson
    @Hitchenson said:

" PC's already confirmed for 64 player cap, I'm sold. Jets and prone as well you say? Fucking right. The whole focus on DX11 sounds great also. "

Fuuuuck yeah. I've been focusing on my consoles so much lately, it'll be good to sink my teeth into a real PC shooter.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jimbo
    @Binman88 said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    BC, BC2, Medal of Honor (and soon BF3) have all come out since CoD4 made modern military FPS mega huge on console.  It's all the same audience.  They haven't come close to CoD's level of success so far, and I don't expect this time to be any different. "
    I remember, this one time, I was playing BC2 and having fun until I realised other games sold better than it and I immediately stopped having fun.  "
    Which quite clearly isn't what they or the magazine are implying with "sets its sights on Call of Duty", smart ass.  They're obviously referencing the commercial success of CoD, not how much fun you may or may not have had playing it.
    s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By s7evn

Animation borrowed from an EA sports title? 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60  Edited By Seppli
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    I remember, this one time, I was playing BC2 and having fun until I realised other games sold better than it and I immediately stopped having fun.  "
    Which quite clearly isn't what they or the magazine are implying with "sets its sights on Call of Duty", smart ass.  They're obviously referencing the commercial success of CoD, not how much fun you may or may not have had playing it. "
    There definitely is a window of opportunity this year, with Infinity Ward in shambles and Modern Warfare 3 being a Frankstein monster made from the efforts of at least 3 developers (skeletton crew Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software). Battlefield 3 has been in the works for many, many years. Now they've finally got the engine and tools to make their concepts reality. DICE is a developer who's pushing boundries and BF3 will be no different.

The PC crowd is definitely longing for a true DX11 title and BF3 promises to deliver and consoles will still get a game that's above and beyond the competition. BF:BC 1 was ahead of the competion. BF:BC 2 is ahead of the competition. BF3 will just blow 'em all out of the water.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ryanwho
    @Jimbo said:
    Medal of Honor only half counts.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jimbo
    @Seppli: CoD is definitely more vulnerable with the departure of IW proper, but I think it's still gonna require DICE finding The Next Big Thing (which admittedly, they have managed before) if they're serious about 'knocking CoD off their fucking perch', so to speak.

Will BF3 have a campaign?  Is it possible to reclaim the #1 spot in FPS without a campaign nowadays?  If they're serious this time, then I'm very interested in what makes them think they have a chance.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    Medal of Honor only half counts. "
    lawl
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Jimbo said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Jimbo said:
    Why does their release date designate their focus to you?  Talk about bias.  It's not all the same audience, as the BC2 : Vietnam unlocks clearly indicated.  Tactical FPS games have a very strong following on PC and they are still well loved on consoles too.  There is certainly some crossover on the Venn Diagram for FPS audiences but that crossover isn't the whole of the audience, nor is it the majority or marketing focus.  Just as the audience for GT isn't the same as the audience for DiRT or GTA or Blur, even though they are all driving games each has a very specifically different focus.  CoD actually has been extremely expensive in terms of marketing which is in direct relation to its success and like most things Activision, it's probably not turning much of a profit aside from the DLC.  DICE has always appealed to their own audience and pretty much always will with BF games.  Just because industry rags want to sell copy based on spurious and hyperbolic statements, that doesn't make such summations fact.   EA is not chasing the CoD audience with BF games at all.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MiniPato

@Jimbo said:

" @Seppli: CoD is definitely more vulnerable with the departure of IW proper, but I think it's still gonna require DICE finding The Next Big Thing (which admittedly, they have managed before) if they're serious about 'knocking CoD off their fucking perch', so to speak.

Will BF3 have a campaign?  Is it possible to reclaim the #1 spot in FPS without a campaign nowadays?  If they're serious this time, then I'm very interested in what makes them think they have a chance. "

I think I speak for the majority when I say that 99% of the people who buy Call Of Duty games buy it for the multiplayer and barely even touch the single player. So why not? The last time a Battlefield game, not Bad Company, tried to do a single player campaign it resulted in BF2 Modern Combat. And that wasn't good. They should spend all their resources and manpower making a great multiplayer experience. A lot of people don't like it when single player games come with tacked on multiplayer and I'm sure a lot of people would hate a multiplayer game with tacked on single player.

@President_Barackbar said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " omg  edit: actually, poster boy looks so much like BC2's ... this isnt good news :( "
    You need to chill out man. I can tell you right now that BF3 will not live up to your stupidly high expectations. Dial it back a bit and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. "

Unless the bar set by Battlefield 2 is "stupidly high" I'm sure they can live up to it. Really that's all people are worried about. Whether or not it will feel like a PC Battlefield experience. They've got the blueprints right there with past Battlefield games. The question is how much they take from past Battlefield games and how much they take from current shooter games and whether or not a balance can be struck where it still feels like a PC Battlefield game with these new added features.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By Evilmetal

somewhere it said they would have the animation system from EA sports?

"What's Jesus doing standing in the middle of the battlefield!!?"

EDMIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By EDMIX

At about 0.23 in the teaser we see that prone is back in the game, We see Jets at the ending and on the cover we see a building that just fell. (ie look at al the dust), the cracked street must mean we will get to destruct concrete for the first time....this is all good news.

EDMIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EDMIX

WOW...no trailer up on here? Interesting.   

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DystopiaX
    @EDMIX said:
    " At about 0.23 in the teaser we see that prone is back in the game, We see Jets at the ending and on the cover we see a building that just fell. (ie look at al the dust), the cracked street must mean we will get to destruct concrete for the first time....this is all good news. "
    They confirmed all of this through preview texts and press releases...all are confirmed to be in the game. 

As for CoD chasing, while you can call Medal of honor and to some degree Bad company CoD chasing BF3 is showing no indication of being that...BF2 came before CoD4 and did the same class/unlock thing that CoD did, so as long as they don't make it fast as hell and about arcade shooting, basically keeping it in line with BF2 (evolving off of that game) they'll be fine.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By shiftymagician
    @EDMIX said:

" WOW...no trailer up on here? Interesting.   

"
    Can't wait to hear the new rendition of the classic Battlefield Music.  If it is anything like in the trailer, I will be one happy gamer.

Also it will be interesting if they will try to make buildings completely collapsible.  I don't mean the little buildings we are all used to - I mean large as hell buildings that will completely block off parts of the map if blown up.  Objective-based destruction?  I know it's bad to speculate as nothing is confirmed yet, but damn would that be a crazy new thing to worry about.

On a more realistic train of thought, I would love to see some gameplay of some naval combat when they decide to release more info.  There was some talks of it however I am unsure how large the scope of the naval combat will be.
    EDMIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By EDMIX

So true, i have to agree there.  The real fun in BF has always come from teamwork through classes.  That is something that will probably never change in the BF series.  COD from what i understand doesn't have classes...everyone just shoots.  (It may be a different gun, but the people who shoot it can do the same things, as the dudes who shoot with everything else)

EDMIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By EDMIX
    @ShiftyMagician:  That would be pretty epic.  As for the apartment buildings falling down, i think thats what they might be hinting at on the Cover. They did say they had better destructible features now, what more could they mean?  There was dust coming from near the building, almost to suggest it just fell.  I really can't wait to here more.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Jimbo
    @SeriouslyNow: Seriously now, you really think there are a lot of people that bought (any of) BC1/BC2/Medal of Honor but didn't buy CoD4 or MW2?  I imagine that Venn Diagram to consist of the BC/BC2/MoH circle almost entirely within the much larger CoD circle.  As for CoD "not turning much of a profit aside from DLC": don't be silly.

@MiniPato said:

"  @Jimbo said:

" @Seppli: CoD is definitely more vulnerable with the departure of IW proper, but I think it's still gonna require DICE finding The Next Big Thing (which admittedly, they have managed before) if they're serious about 'knocking CoD off their fucking perch', so to speak.

Will BF3 have a campaign?  Is it possible to reclaim the #1 spot in FPS without a campaign nowadays?  If they're serious this time, then I'm very interested in what makes them think they have a chance. "

I think I speak for the majority when I say that 99% of the people who buy Call Of Duty games buy it for the multiplayer and barely even touch the single player. So why not? The last time a Battlefield game, not Bad Company, tried to do a single player campaign it resulted in BF2 Modern Combat. And that wasn't good. They should spend all their resources and manpower making a great multiplayer experience. A lot of people don't like it when single player games come with tacked on multiplayer and I'm sure a lot of people would hate a multiplayer game with tacked on single player. "
    I hope you don't speak for the majority when you say "99% of the people who buy Call Of Duty games buy it for the multiplayer and barely even touch the single player" -  because if you do then they are wrong.  Giant Bomb Achievements system has 59% of people completing the MW2 campaign on any difficulty, and the same for CoD4.  It may be lower in the general audience, but I see no reason to assume it would be drastically lower.  On the other hand, the general CoD audience (unlike GB stats system users specifically) will also include some people who don't take their 360 online, and these people must have bought for single player, meaning the real number may just as easily be higher than 59%.

BF3 not having a campaign is fine by me, but I don't think they can ever hope to approach CoD's level of success (if they are indeed serious about that) without one, no matter how good the MP is.  There does seem to be a popular theory that everybody buys CoD for multiplayer, but I'm not sure it's actually true.  Multiplayer may be the main reason for most people, but the campaign does make the purchase an easier decision than it otherwise would be - personally, I reckon CoD sales fall off a cliff if they ever drop the campaign.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MiniPato
    @Jimbo said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: Seriously now, you really think there are a lot of people that bought (any of) BC1/BC2/Medal of Honor but didn't buy CoD4 or MW2?  I imagine that Venn Diagram to consist of the BC/BC2/MoH circle almost entirely within the much larger CoD circle.  As for CoD "not turning much of a profit aside from DLC": don't be silly.

@MiniPato said:

"  @Jimbo said:

I think I speak for the majority when I say that 99% of the people who buy Call Of Duty games buy it for the multiplayer and barely even touch the single player. So why not? The last time a Battlefield game, not Bad Company, tried to do a single player campaign it resulted in BF2 Modern Combat. And that wasn't good. They should spend all their resources and manpower making a great multiplayer experience. A lot of people don't like it when single player games come with tacked on multiplayer and I'm sure a lot of people would hate a multiplayer game with tacked on single player. "
    I hope you don't speak for the majority when you say "99% of the people who buy Call Of Duty games buy it for the multiplayer and barely even touch the single player" -  because if you do then they are wrong.  Giant Bomb Achievements system has 59% of people completing the MW2 campaign on any difficulty, and the same for CoD4.  It may be lower in the general audience, but I see no reason to assume it would be drastically lower.  On the other hand, the general CoD audience (unlike GB stats system users specifically) will also include some people who don't take their 360 online, and these people must have bought for single player, meaning the real number may just as easily be higher than 59%.

BF3 not having a campaign is fine by me, but I don't think they can ever hope to approach CoD's level of success (if they are indeed serious about that) without one, no matter how good the MP is.  There does seem to be a popular theory that everybody buys CoD for multiplayer, but I'm not sure it's actually true.  Multiplayer may be the main reason for most people, but the campaign does make the purchase an easier decision than it otherwise would be - personally, I reckon CoD sales fall off a cliff if they ever drop the campaign. "
    I think my statement still stands. Call Of Duty is a primarily multiplayer experience with a tacked on campaign. Multiplayer is the main attraction. Do some people play it purely for the cinematic campaign experience? Sure, but multiplayer is the thing people will come back to.  I reckon if there were a purely multiplayer Call Of Duty game, it would probably still do well, not as well as one with single player, but it'd probably still sell millions.

But CoD aside, that is the kind of mentality people fear DICE and EA will have when developing the PC Battlefield 3. Diverting their time and resources for tacked on single player just to meet the status quo set by modern day FPS games, to get that bulletpoint on the back of the box instead of spending time crafting a true PC Battlefield experience. Bad Company is their single player campaign series, they don't need a half assed one here in BF3. How do I know it'll be half assed? Because BF is a more strategic FPS than CoD, they can't afford to copy and paste and add a bunch of perks and killstreaks, call it a day and then work on single player. But putting it on consoles only makes it more likely. Then again games like MAG are purely multiplayer if I'm not mistaken. In the end of the day DICE should just have to rely on a great multiplayer to sell their game, not getting as many bullet points on their box as possible. And even if it doesn't have single player it'll probably have an offline mode with bots like the old BF games did and that would be more than enough.
    GreyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By GreyFox

I always thought BF needed more real-time radiosity.

What's with the promos having terms only graphics designers understand? Do they think it makes it sound more awesome? I had to look it up what , means, so I guess, yay for educating me.

Anyway, really excited for the game. I hope they won't fuck this up. Had really good times with 2142, hope to have some really good times with this too. BC2 was good, but not BFy enough.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#76  Edited By big_jon
    @Seppli: 

I really like the box art.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Jimbo
    @MiniPato: It would still sell millions and be successful, of course, but there are a whole lot of millions below the ~20M that CoD is currently capable of selling.  I'm not really disputing your points about quality (I agree with most of it), I'm just posing the question "Is it possible to reclaim the #1 spot in FPS without a campaign nowadays?" to which I think the answer is quite clearly "no".  So I figure either EA are serious about competing for the #1 FPS spot and it'll have a campaign, or it won't have a campaign and EA (at least with DICE) are content to keep putting out moderately successful FPSs selling ~25% as many copies as their rival.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Jimbo said:

" @SeriouslyNow: Seriously now, you really think there are a lot of people that bought (any of) BC1/BC2/Medal of Honor but didn't buy CoD4 or MW2?  I imagine that Venn Diagram to consist of the BC/BC2/MoH circle almost entirely within the much larger CoD circle.  As for CoD "not turning much of a profit aside from DLC": don't be silly.  "

Yes, I'm saying that there are quite a few people who purchased BC2 who never purchased MW2, especially on PC where BC2, a console game, sold best.  You can imagine whatever you'd like but you're wrong.  The crossover between both markets is nothing like the what you describe and you actually don't understand the context of Activision and their known history of poor ROI on individual projects.  You know, they fire people and don't pay bonuses right?  It's in the press a lot.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jimbo
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Jimbo said:

" @SeriouslyNow: Seriously now, you really think there are a lot of people that bought (any of) BC1/BC2/Medal of Honor but didn't buy CoD4 or MW2?  I imagine that Venn Diagram to consist of the BC/BC2/MoH circle almost entirely within the much larger CoD circle.  As for CoD "not turning much of a profit aside from DLC": don't be silly.  "

Yes, I'm saying that there are quite a few people who purchased BC2 who never purchased MW2, especially on PC where BC2, a console game, sold best.  You can imagine whatever you'd like but you're wrong.  The crossover between both markets is nothing like the what you describe and you actually don't understand the context of Activision and their known history of poor ROI on individual projects.  You know, they fire people and don't pay bonuses right?  It's in the press a lot. "
    Non sequiturs ahoy!  

You claim 'quite a few' BC2 players didn't buy MW2, on the basis that BC2 sold best on PC?  How's that work?  Ignoring for a moment that the latter claim seems totally unsupported, what is it supposed to prove even if it is true?  Buying BC2 on PC doesn't preclude them from having bought CoD.  The recent estimated Steam sales figures* suggest that the BC2 group could fit within the CoD group almost 4 times over, which reflects the overall sales of ~5M for BC2 vs. ~20M for MW2 / Black Ops (each).  So we know a maximum of ~25% of the MW2 audience has bought BC2 (it could be anything the other way around - my guess though is that the vast majority of BC2 players bought MW2).  At least 75% of the potential (proven) FPS audience are ignoring EA's FPSs, and I would think they are desperate to bring that number down.

You claim CoD is "probably not turning much of a profit aside from the DLC", on the basis that Activision fire people and don't pay bonuses?  That is a crazy thing a crazy person would say!  That is a "Staples Center costs $775M per night" level of crazy.

*Top Selling Titles, by Estimated Gross Revenues in 2010
    Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision) - $98.2 Million USD
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision) - $39.4 Million USD
    [an '09 release]
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (
    Electronic Arts) - $25.4 Million USD
    EDMIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By EDMIX

I got to agree wtih the above statement.  I mean i love BF way more then i ever did COD, but you kinda can' t argue numbers.  BF is not a series i would expect to do numbers like that, its a very difficult, skilled and strategic game.  People just want to shoot, but its only a small number of people who like to really have a large emphases on teamwork and strategy

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By withateethuh

Battlefield not being overly popular = less stupid players.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.