Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 - Read the Whole Game Informer Coverstory

• 95 results
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By easthill
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " I LOVED playing the Commander role, though I mostly did it in 2142 as opposed to BF2.  It was a great change of pace and it really, really felt like I was helping my team as I gave my squads objectives and dropped supplies and things.  Surely, there was lower breadth of players that knew the intricacies of playing the role, but that really helped instill a pseudo chain-of-command that added to the Battlefield feel.  Sure, less people could play the role at once, but that doesn't mean it wasn't appreciated from a strategic and a practical standpoint.  Ask all those soldiers that I dropped vehicles/supplies for. "

But the commander were really rather pointless. Try to join a 64-player Karkand server, apply as a commander on USMC and give EVERY squad leader an order to capture to Suburb (for those that don't know, the easiest flag for USMC to capture) and see how many follows your order. Go commander next round also, but don't give orders. I'm willing to bet that about exactly the same amount of players will go for Suburb, regardless of the orders. The fact is that most don't care.

Don't get me wrong. I want to see a commander/leader/person in BF3, but they need to do something different from the commander position in BF2/2142.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @easthill said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic:I'm with you on the commander issue, so that's a worry we very much share. I'm looking forward to them revealing the multi-player, hopefully it will lay all our worries to rest. :) "
    he pretty much said that they regret ever implementing the commander position, like, even in Battlefield 2, so there's nothing to be laid to rest ! he said only 2 people use it ? what is he nuts ? i played Battlefield 2 for 3 years and there were ALWAYS commanders filling the position, 80% of which did an amazing job and got frequent "thank you" commands from the players.. so i dunno what BF2 that guy played! "
    His idea for that statement is that out of a maximum of 64 players, only 2 players get the perks that commanders get.  That just makes the statement seem moronic to me, as the whole point of the commander role is to oversee the battlefield and direct the other players to priorities key positions, whilst having the power to support and take offense away from danger.

I don't even get why they thought it was such a problem anyway.  As much as I'm confident that I will still find this game very enjoyable, I have a feeling that even they are forced to incorporating at least 'some' of the Call of Duty mainstream features just to ensure they reach as much of the mainstream as possible, which is a shame.  Not in the sense that they are just wanting to make money, since every developer needs money to make games which is fine.  Having to dumb down a game a bit just to appeal to people who don't think and just want a game with explosions and minimal efforts to manage squads is the potential shame here.

It will be very, very interesting to see how this game turns out.  When is the next major game event where developers showcase upcoming titles like E3?
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By easthill
    @ShiftyMagician said:

" When is the next major game event where developers showcase upcoming titles like E3? "

That would probably be GDC at the end of February. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @easthill said:
    " @yinstarrunner said:
    " I LOVED playing the Commander role, though I mostly did it in 2142 as opposed to BF2.  It was a great change of pace and it really, really felt like I was helping my team as I gave my squads objectives and dropped supplies and things.  Surely, there was lower breadth of players that knew the intricacies of playing the role, but that really helped instill a pseudo chain-of-command that added to the Battlefield feel.  Sure, less people could play the role at once, but that doesn't mean it wasn't appreciated from a strategic and a practical standpoint.  Ask all those soldiers that I dropped vehicles/supplies for. "

But the commander were really rather pointless. Try to join a 64-player Karkand server, apply as a commander on USMC and give EVERY squad leader an order to capture to Suburb (for those that don't know, the easiest flag for USMC to capture) and see how many follows your order. Go commander next round also, but don't give orders. I'm willing to bet that about exactly the same amount of players will go for Suburb, regardless of the orders. The fact is that most don't care.

Don't get me wrong. I want to see a commander/leader/person in BF3, but they need to do something different from the commander position in BF2/2142.

"
    you cant use Karkand in your argument.. apply what you said to any other map and you'd be wrong. 
    Karkand is the one map that doesnt actually need a commander, except for artillery support 

@ShiftyMagician said:
    " It will be very, very interesting to see how this game turns out. "
    you could say that again! 

"  When is the next major game event where developers showcase upcoming titles like E3? "
    GDC (or whatever its called) on March 1st.. we're all waiting for that day, patiently.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By gamb1t
    @Redsox44 said:
    " So if I go on their forums and start complaining to raise the console player count to at least 32 or 40 do you think it can happen? I mean I at least want to feel like the scale is bigger than bad company or else there's no point in getting it except for revamped visuals and animations. Pretty much just BC3... "
    JETS?!?!?!  wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By gamb1t
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    "  Ok so, no commander because you want to give everyone those 'powers' , and the squad talk made me feel uneasy.. like its not structured and organized, just 4 player squads with no leader again.. 
     So Battlefield 3 is devoid of any form of leadership... yup im not gonna complain anymore, i'll just take it. dont wanna ask for a key asset of the Battlefield games (fucking leadership) and be told im 'bitching'

@B0nd07 said:
    " @tariqari said:
    "Commander sucked.  It was a gimped "subclass" that didn't event let the commander fight on the frontlines with reasonable action.  Instead the commander hid in the back of the map safe and sound while both teams got pounded by UAVs, constant spotting, and worst of all artillery strikes practically every 10 seconds (okay not literally but you know what I mean)."
    The commander hid in back because he was important.  He controlled the UAV placement (which no one was pounded by, since they only spotted in a small radius and were not offensive at all), artillery strikes (useful for softening the other team's defense or defending a flag), vehicle drops, and supply drops (back when you didn't regenerate health, these were very important; they often meant the difference between holding a point and losing it). "
    wham bam thank you ma'am  "
    ahhh you handle all my battlefield talking for me. i hope your talking is good as your are playing battlefield cause if so we can run it when it comes out!!! im insane -_- i just dont really do jets much thats not my area or flying choppers but ill shoot jets down with the choppers, take out choppers with rpgs (oh man im to good at that and even better at taken out choppers with tanks ya ill win that battle 8/10 times) ughhhhhhhhhhhh and to think i sold my pc cause it was dated. only game i played on it was bf2 tho.
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By easthill
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @easthill said:
    " @yinstarrunner said:

"
    you cant use Karkand in your argument.. apply what you said to any other map and you'd be wrong. 
    Karkand is the one map that doesnt actually need a commander, except for artillery support 

Maybe. But the squad goes wherever they want to go, most often the squad don't even stick together. On bigger maps the commander usually just sends the artillery to the enemy airfield most of the time anyways, no real benefit for the team - but the commander get 4-5 sure kills every time from the sheep that camp for planes and helicopters - me included.

What I'm trying to say is really that the commander doesn't have anything that couldn't easily be put other places. Few things in Battlefield are worse than commanders sucking at their job. The squads give themselves order, they can press Caps-lock and see where the other squads are. Why not just give the squad leader a more powerful position, give the squad leader access to call in artillery and UAVs when he really needs them - rather than be declined by the commander because he got an agenda of his own (to get kills)?

I want to have a commander in BF3, I really do. But I don't want the BF2 commander... I don't believe he works as good as you give him credit for, and I would understand DICE removing him, sadly...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58  Edited By Seppli
    @Ahmad_Metallic:

I'm a first generation BF player, meaning that I played a lot of BF1942 (and mods) and BF:V.  Didn't play all that much of BF2. I don't even own BF 2142. I was more about 128 player Joint Operations at the time. Later World of Warcraft pretty much took all of my gaming time for a couple of years. In other words, I've never been 'balls deep' in love with BF2, nor did I ever appreciate it's intricacies like others here do.

While still a lot of fun, I always felt that Battlefield lacked direction back then. A purpose. Too much relyied on the players. Great games just didn't happen often enough. You have to go out of your way and organize people and run a server and have your own community to make it work. An effort I never was willing to make. In other words, DICE's design was too loose. Thus, I embraced the Desert Combat mod (by Trauma Studios - who are now developing Homefront) for their Pushmap design (only adjacent capture points can be taken), which I find infinitly better than vanilla Conquest. Joint Operations built upon the Pushmap priciple and it was the greatest thing in the sandboxy shooter genre at the time.

DICE won me over with BF:BC 1. I really dug Rush mode for giving the combat a sense of purpose and a clear direction. A fucking frontline. I loved the more competent, more capable, more powerful kits. Dividing BF2's commander-powers amongst them, as well as merging multiple kits powers. Finally I wasn't a pawn in the scheme of some dude I don't care about. I myself was the frontline general, who with skill and determination, with situational awareness and tactical wit, wins the fucking fight. To this day I believe some of BF:BC 1's maps played in Rushmode offer the perfect mix between Battlefield sandbox gameplay and vehicle warfare and CQC infantry combat. Namely Oasis Rush and Harvest Day Rush and End of the Line Rush. BF:BC 2 took it a step too far with 'direction and purpose', which resulted in way too many chokepoint heavy and narrow maps. PC players only know BF:BC 2 and probably have given up before playing map pack 7 extensively, which included Oasis and Harvest Day. DICE are on the brink of achieving perfection. I'm certain BF3 will be the best largescale FPS game to date.

To me, it's about the moment to moment gameplay experience. Battlefield's has never been better than in BF:BC 2. Unshackling the player from stringent design restrictions certainly plays an important part in that. Empowering me always is a good idea in my book. I'd hate if DICE went back to more restrictive design of yesteryear. Stuff like heavily co-dependent kits and matchwinning commanders aren't what I'm about. I like to kick ass, take names and blow shit to smithereens. I make my own tactical decisions on the fly. In the thick of it. I find likeminded players with skills to match my own and go about winning games. It's simple really. BF3 needs to rock my pants off. Not with com-rose and commander and freature-xy, but with the best motherfucking moment to moment gameplay Battlefield ever had.

DICE will deliver what I seek. 64 players X Destruction 3.0 X Moar Vehicles including Jets X Metropolitan City Environments X Better Presentation X More Complex Gunplay = INSANE MOMENT TO MOMENT EXPERIENCE. Everything else is just icing. I don't understand the pessimists. The turd you're smelling is in your pants (no disrespect).
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By SSully
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  
     I could not have said it better myself. Battlefield is not about being  a one man army, its about being part of something bigger then yourself. The most rewarding thing about that game was when you had a good team who all did their part. I love bad company 1 and 2 because I thought it was a good representation of what battlefield would be like for consoles, but that game has no place on the PC with the battlefield name. I hope to God they dont take out key features for the sake of making it the same on all platforms. 
    B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By B0nd07
    @Seppli said:

"I don't understand the pessimists. DO NOT UNDERSTAND. "

That's because, as you yourself said, you prefer the game play in the Bad Company series.  You like essentially being a one-man army.

What the "pessimists" prefer is the game play from the core series.  The feeling of team work you got when, for example, your squad leader asked for the UAV over the point you were taking so you could defend yourselves better, and then dropped a supply crate to keep you armed and healthy.  And when things got bad, he could drop artillery on the enemy reinforcements.  Basically, we long for the days when people where more concerned with actually completing the objective as a team than their K/D ratio.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Pinworm45
    @withateethuh said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" @tariqari said:
    "Commander sucked.  It was a gimped "subclass" that didn't event let the commander fight on the frontlines with reasonable action.  Instead the commander hid in the back of the map safe and sound while both teams got pounded by UAVs, constant spotting, and worst of all artillery strikes practically every 10 seconds (okay not literally but you know what I mean). "
    ...do Generals during combat go out into the front lines or direct stuff from the back base? "
    Is this real life? "
    let's have all the soldiers break into dance to compete instead of shooting each other. After all, it's not real life. 

??
    MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MAGZine
    @B0nd07: right, because if you ignored the objective, then you lose - and even if you finish a round with 30 and 2, you don't have the same feeling as if you go 2 and 30, but ended up with 80 teamwork score and ended up winning the game. 

The commander allowed one person to coordinate and win the battles. Having one person sit in the field and greed everything (because he is naturally doing the most important job of everyone) isn't the way to go - not everyone needs to be able to call in UAV and artillery.  Sometimes the UAV isn't best over your head. Sometimes the Artillery is best on the airfield - if they have amazing pilots, you NEED to keep them out of the air. 

All of Battlefield 2's elements synergized well, and I'll be sad to see them reduced to accommodate rambo console players.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Seppli
    @B0nd07 said:

" @Seppli said:

That's because, as you yourself said, you prefer the game play in the Bad Company series.  You like essentially being a one-man army.  What the "pessimists" prefer is the game play from the core series.  The feeling of team work you got when your squad leader asked for the UAV over the point you were taking so you could defend yourselves better, and then dropped a supply crate to keep you armed and healthy.  And when things got bad, he could drop artillery on the enemy reinforcements.  Basically, we long for the days when people where more concerned with actually completing the objective than their K/D ratio. "

• I could be there, in the thick. See the situation firsthand. Call in the mortar strike myself.
    • I could man the UAV with the vehicular zoom specialization. Spot enemies and 'headshot tanks'. Protip - Aim for the topside of the turret.
    • I fight my way to a vantage point, drop supplies and be the perfect spawn for my squad mates, all the while I cover a valid angle on an objective.
    • etc.

My BF:BC 2 bestie is a beast and I'm too. It takes at least 2 beasts to win games in BF:BC 2. In full 64 player rooms, no matter how useless the enemies are and how powerful the kits, 2 beasts won't be enough. The more beasts the better. Just fill up your FL and play the damn game with competent people. Nobody needs a commander. Fuck that dude. I do the same, in the thick and more importantly - a whole lot better. If there's a ton of beasts on the field, structure and direction and teamplay - the fucking frontline - will come naturally.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MrKlorox

Big fat sigh. Enough of the leet speak and exaggerations.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Druminator

Man that looks awesome. Think I'm going to go back to Bad Company for a while.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Seppli

I want to call shots. Every round. DICE lets me call these shots. I'm not co-dependent on some anonymous commander to make or break the game. I'm making it. And so do you.

That's the big idea behind it.

Just take responsibility and play the best game you can. My presence improves any round of Battlefield I play. So should yours. Why should I be stripped of that power for some random dude to ruin my fun with bad calls eventually?

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By B0nd07
    @Seppli: Again, you prefer the one-man army-ness of the Bad Company series.  I (and others here) do not.  And while yes, the commander was important and powerful, he was not so powerful that one little mistake on his part would instantly lose the game.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Seppli
    @B0nd07 said:
    " @Seppli said:

That's because, as you yourself said, you prefer the game play in the Bad Company series.  You like essentially being a one-man army.  What the "pessimists" prefer is the game play from the core series.  The feeling of team work you got when, for example, your squad leader asked for the UAV over the point you were taking so you could defend yourselves better, and then dropped a supply crate to keep you armed and healthy.  And when things got bad, he could drop artillery on the enemy reinforcements.  Basically, we long for the days when people where more concerned with actually completing the objective as a team than their K/D ratio. "
    What has being objective driven to do with the commander? Everything the commander would provide in that situation, your fellow squadmates bring to the table. Recon drops sensorball. Assault drops ammobox. Medic drops bandages. BäM - same result.

So you say you need a commander, because you ain't got enough good players on your friendslist to work with a fully functional squad? Well then, I smell hypocrisy!
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Seppli
    @B0nd07 said:

" @Seppli: Again, you prefer the one-man army-ness of the Bad Company series.  I (and others here) do not.  And while yes, the commander was important and powerful, he was not so powerful that one little mistake on his part would instantly lose the game. "

You really need to fill up your friendslist with dedicated Battlefield players, if you really believe lonewulfing is that powerful in BF:BC 2.

The much criticized chokepoint heavy maps emphasize teamwork. Make it an absolute necessity. You don't get past a well setup meatgrinder chokepoint without a strong team effort.
    MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MAGZine
    @Seppli: 64 player maps require a lot more organization then what you're proposing. 

The commander has a much better picture of the entire situation. When you account for the fact that the Commander can give you arty support or UAV support without you depending on one class to bring it, and be able to predict enemy movements and communicate those your squad leader, your way simply falls apart. sensorballs hold no candle to the UAV. 

...and the freakin' uav shouldn't be able to call in rockets.
    MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MAGZine
    @Seppli: and I disagree. The lack to teamwork in BC2 shows that you can get past a 'well setup meatgrinder chokepoint' without a strong team effort. Also, being able to blow up the checkpoints - or did they finally remove the broken came mechanic?
    B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By B0nd07
    @Seppli said:
    " So you say you need a commander, because you ain't got enough good players on your friendslist to work with a fully functional squad? Well then, I smell hypocrisy! "
    Yup, that's the way to get your point across; attack me by saying I don't have six friends to play with.  The number of my friends in the game didn't matter.  I had many good games being in squads with complete strangers.  Not so much in BC2.  Also, BF2 did not have a friends list.  I played it long before it came out on Steam - hell, even before Steam really became something.
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Jace

I've just gotten so mellowed out about this game after the screens. It's gonna be fucking sick. We all know that. Just let them make it. I mean, no mod support was a cop-out move all around, and maybe there should be a commander and more than 4 kits. But you know what? The game is gonna be what dice wants it to be. And I'm damn well gonna motherfucking buy it either way.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Seppli
    @magzine said:

" @Seppli: and I disagree. The lack to teamwork in BC2 shows that you can get past a 'well setup meatgrinder chokepoint' without a strong team effort. Also, being able to blow up the checkpoints - or did they finally remove the broken came mechanic? "

Just because you've never played a stacked game and PUG with bad randoms, doesn't mean that teamwork ain't a necessity when playing with and against a majority of good/great players. You'd be surprised how hard BF:BC 2 can get. Victory is won in inches and inches are won in blood and bodies.

How many hours have you sat in a fully functional Blackhawk chopper? Or in a tank? Yeah, good vehicular play always takes at least 2 guys. At the very least. I don't know what 'lack of teamwork' you're talking about. How can you even be worried about teamwork in BF3, where there's so much more opportunity for teamwork, even if every mechanic would stay as it is in BF:BC 2 (of course it doesn't).

Just seems crazy to me.
    MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MAGZine
    @Seppli: You can't attribute a close match to teamwork. You can attribute it to each side sucking (or succeeding) just as hard as the other team.
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Potter9156
    @withateethuh said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @tariqari said:
    "Commander sucked.  It was a gimped "subclass" that didn't event let the commander fight on the frontlines with reasonable action.  Instead the commander hid in the back of the map safe and sound while both teams got pounded by UAVs, constant spotting, and worst of all artillery strikes practically every 10 seconds (okay not literally but you know what I mean). "
    ...do Generals during combat go out into the front lines or direct stuff from the back base? "
    Is this real life? "
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Seppli
    @Jace said:
    " I've just gotten so mellowed out about this game after the screens. It's gonna be fucking sick. We all know that. Just let them make it. I mean, no mod support was a cop-out move all around, and maybe there should be a commander and more than 4 kits. But you know what? The game is gonna be what dice wants it to be. And I'm damn well gonna motherfucking buy it either way. "
    QFT.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Seppli
    @magzine said:

" @Seppli: You can't attribute a close match to teamwork. You can attribute it to each side sucking (or succeeding) just as hard as the other team. "

You know when you meet elites on the field. My BF:BC 2 bestie and me cleared a room recently with some overly aggressive defending (Oasis Rush Maptier 2 - guilty of spawntrapping). Isla Inocentes was being played thereafter. It filled up with 2 Romanian squads who were dope. Tough as nails matches. Every vehicle was used to their utmost efficiency and lethality. The pressure was extremely high due to competent squadplay. Unrelenting. They got us down to one crate, but in the end, our Hind and general competence beat their prowess. In return, we only got to maptier 2 and armed objective bravo a couple of times with some very nice blackhawk squad insertions and nice suppressive work out of the air. Nontheless, one good squad just didn't cut it against two. Actually, we got Bravo at the last moment and didn't get over the ridge in maptier 3,  a fact I'd like to forget, I guess.

From your comments, you just want BF:BC 2 to suck. Like it can't have teamwork because it's a console port or something. Willfully ignorant.
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By easthill

I can't really see what you guys see in the commander? His most useful feature is the rabid blind spotting they took out in 1.5, essentially a "reveal every enemy feature". 95% of people playing don't pay any attention to the commander at all in a public match - hell, most don't even pay attention to their own squad. A random public match doesn't play like the trailers. And you don't need the whole server with you on ventrilo to win a round, one good squad or one good heli/jet-pilot is all it takes to win. Regardless of the commander. Damn, in many situations 2 good people playing medic together is invincible.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#80  Edited By GS_Dan

I can imagine this being hard to run... 
    HD78** series here I come!

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By withateethuh
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @withateethuh said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" @tariqari said:
    Is this real life? "
    let's have all the soldiers break into dance to compete instead of shooting each other. After all, it's not real life.  ?? "
    What I mean is that gameplay balance is more important than what happens in real life.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DystopiaX

Thought gb didn't allow scans. Huh.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @B0nd07 said:
    " @Seppli: Again, you prefer the one-man army-ness of the Bad Company series.  I (and others here) do not.  And while yes, the commander was important and powerful, he was not so powerful that one little mistake on his part would instantly lose the game. "
    dude, they just dont get it, and they're the majority.. 

the mesmerizing Battlefield atmosphere you and I used to have while playing BF2 during it's prime, is gone. im starting to accept it and accept this new streamlined power-to-the-players bullshit, and so should you..
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Seppli
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @B0nd07 said:

dude, they just dont get it, and they're the majority..  the mesmerizing Battlefield atmosphere you and I used to have while playing BF2 during it's prime, is gone. im starting to accept it and accept this new streamlined power-to-the-players bullshit, and so should you.. "
    Dude - If you'd be able to explain why the 'mesmerizing Battlefield atmosphere' is so heavily reliant on the commander position and having more and more restrictive kits... However, you don't and I disagree. Everything the commander brought to the table is still in play. Any wellrounded squad is just as powerful as the commander ever was. A team of beast players is so much more than the commander could ever be. It all still happens, more intensely even. It's dense design and it shows. Less downtime, more fighting, more excitement - which is very much a result of empowering all players by splitting the commander's powers between the kits and merging several underpowerd and underused kits into actually competent and fun to play kits which each fill a distinctive role on the Battlefield.

As opposed to BF2 kits, you really see every kit getting used - unless you're going PUG and end up in a sniper-team ;P.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Seppli
    @Ahmad_Metallic: 

Just think about the UAV emplacement. There are tons of valid playstyles depending on your vehicle specialization. I seldomly see great UAV pilots. Anytime I'm taking the helm, I'm bringing something to the table.

• Vehicle Zoom for Longrange Spotting and AT rocketsniping (onehit-kill, if you hit the turret)
    • Vehicle Electronics (fly as high as possible and minimap-spot all enemies)
    • Vehicle Smoke (support your assaulting team mates by laying down smokescreens for cover - almost never see that being used to full effect)
    • Vehicle Alt-Fire (pick off camping snipers and defend armed objectives)

Are you a good UAV pilot? Do you actually take over UAV responsibities and make full use of its powers or are you just plain ignorant to it? How the hell should I know... I'm quite certain though that you don't, since you're talking as if BF:BC 2 lacks depth, which is just you being ignorant of the tools at your disposal.

In other words. The depth is there. It will be there in BF3 even more so. It probably won't just be 'Commander = Depth here'. Who knows? Maybe there'll be a fullblown Predator UAV bunker or something awesome like that.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Seppli said:
    " Like it can't have teamwork because it's a console port or something. Willfully ignorant. "
    But it isn't played properly on consoles for the most part.  The Vietnam unlock is proof of that.  Shit, DICE literally gave the unlock away cheap and still neither console playerbase earned it.
    Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Dedodido

The lack of a commander is very worrying. It had its faults in BF2, but they just need to revamp it, not remove it. Also, if it doesn't have 6 man squads I won't be buying it. 4 isn't enough, and never will be. 
    The other thing that worries me is the feel of the movement. In BF2 the movement felt fluid and consistant, but in all the BF games since the movements has been slow and clunky. I don't want it to feel like I'm trying to move through treacle.

Also, people complaining about the player count on consoles have nothing to complain about. With this engine you can't do it on consoles, simple as. If you want to play it properly get a gaming PC.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Seppli said:

"If you'd be able to explain why the 'mesmerizing Battlefield atmosphere' is so heavily reliant on the commander position and having more and more restrictive kits... However, you don't and I disagree.  "

but i did : 

yeah man you'd be running with thirty other people around you in six man squads, pushing the fight to the next area and looking out for mines in the dirt and tanks around the bend and enemy jets above your heads, with one man stationed somewhere, dropping supplies around you and providing UAV over the point you're heading to (which ALWAYS felt so good, like a christmas present, like the angels came down from the sky to give you this supernatural view of nearby enemies only for a couple of minutes) 

you get there, scatter around the flag as the enemy defends it, die and respawn and die again, until it goes a little quiet and you hear the Artillery cannons whistling in the distance, only to have the shells shower around you and allow you to sneak your way to the flag and secure it before the enemies know what hit 'em ..  
    not to mention the occasional commander spotting that alarmed you when you had an enemy car fleeing from the action or something. 

And ofcourse, since Battlefield is all about countering the enemy attack, nothing felt better than to have a brave soldier on your team make his way to the commander's headquarters undetected and blow up his equipment, allowing you to cripple the enemy's eye in the sky and strike back after you've been getting the artillery treatment for a while, while the enemies try desperately to fix their tools AND keep an eye out for your undetected attacks 

Nobody fucking wants that colossal battle feel anymore. everyone is so immature and impatient that they all want big dicks ingame and wanna have everything at their disposal.. so i dont really blame DICE for turning a man game into children's play, i blame this new age of gamers who got spoiled by Call of Duty    

@Seppli said:

"Everything the commander brought to the table is still in play. Any wellrounded squad is just as powerful as the commander ever was. A team of beast players is so much more than the commander could ever be."

what you dont understand is that this isnt an issue of Commander vs. Players, its Commander going hand in hand with Players.. you got the Commander as the top position on the chain of command, then the squad leaders spread around the map, and then the squad members fighting under their squad leaders... that chain of command gave the game a realistic and purposeful feel, something you dont seem to appreciate. 
    i dont WANT to be able to do everything, i want a couple of Top Men on each team to have the unusual tools at their disposal and help me with them without ME worrying about them, but worrying about the fight at hand.. 

"which is very much a result of empowering all players by splitting the commander's powers between the kits and merging several underpowerd and underused kits into actually competent and fun to play kits which each fill a distinctive role on the Battlefield.   "

if you dont see how tragic that is, on the grand scheme of things, i cant show it to you.. 

@Seppli said:
    "@Ahmad_Metallic: 

Just think about the UAV emplacement. There are tons of valid playstyles depending on your vehicle specialization. I seldomly see great UAV pilots. Anytime I'm taking the helm, I'm bringing something to the table.

• Vehicle Zoom for Longrange Spotting and AT rocketsniping (onehit-kill, if you hit the turret)
    • Vehicle Electronics (fly as high as possible and minimap-spot all enemies)
    • Vehicle Smoke (support your assaulting team mates by laying down smokescreens for cover - almost never see that being used to full effect)
    • Vehicle Alt-Fire (pick off camping snipers and defend armed objectives)
     Are you a good UAV pilot? Do you actually take over UAV responsibities and make full use of its powers or are you just plain ignorant to it? How the hell should I know... I'm quite certain though that you don't, since you're talking as if BF:BC 2 lacks depth, which is just you being ignorant of the tools at your disposal.  In other words. The depth is there. It will be there in BF3 even more so. It probably won't just be 'Commander = Depth here'. Who knows? Maybe there'll be a fullblown Predator UAV bunker or something awesome like that. "

I know of all that ('cept for the UAV smokescreen) and i use it occasionally, but what im saying is that its cooler to have those few eye-in-the-sky features to a top man... having them at everyone's disposal makes them lose their 'rare' state and become every-player things....  
    You really sound like you never managed to get the Commander position in BF2 and that you're butthurt about it. im not disrespecting you, friend, im just saying it sounds like you spent your BF2 days cursing at not being able to use the commander's equipment or something.. 

keep those powers to a top man, it feels so much more grand that way. it feels RIGHT.
    MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By MAGZine
    @Seppli said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @B0nd07 said:

dude, they just dont get it, and they're the majority..  the mesmerizing Battlefield atmosphere you and I used to have while playing BF2 during it's prime, is gone. im starting to accept it and accept this new streamlined power-to-the-players bullshit, and so should you.. "
    Dude - If you'd be able to explain why the 'mesmerizing Battlefield atmosphere' is so heavily reliant on the commander position and having more and more restrictive kits... However, you don't and I disagree. Everything the commander brought to the table is still in play. Any wellrounded squad is just as powerful as the commander ever was. A team of beast players is so much more than the commander could ever be. It all still happens, more intensely even. It's dense design and it shows. Less downtime, more fighting, more excitement - which is very much a result of empowering all players by splitting the commander's powers between the kits and merging several underpowerd and underused kits into actually competent and fun to play kits which each fill a distinctive role on the Battlefield.  As opposed to BF2 kits, you really see every kit getting used - unless you're going PUG and end up in a sniper-team ;P. "
    I see every kit being used in BF2, I don't know what game you're playing. 

And again, when you're dealing with 64 players, you need a commander. 1942 didn't have a commander, and the game didn't feel as proper, controlled, or teamwork based. If you want 'more fighting', play call of duty or bad company. if you want a degree of realism spread out over massive battlefields at the detriment of some action, then play battlefield. Would you mind sharing your BF2 account name with us?
    tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By tariqari

Okay too many people replied for me to respond to everyone.  Let me clarify:  Battlefield 2 was distinctly different from Battlefield 1942.  My opinion has it that Battlefield 42 was a better game than Battlefield 2, simply because it was simpler.  Battlefield 2 lacked many things and added other things.  It took away warships, significantly large maps, and most importantly strategy.  How can you strategize an approach to a situation if you've already been spotted above by the "commander".  Yes, it may be fun to play...but for ONLY ONE GUY!!!  Ok my mistake, 2 guys since were counting the other team.  So that's two people who are screwing up the entire game simply because they've been given what's basically a wallhack to see the entire map as they choose.  2nd, Artillery was a formidable enemy.  It was fun planting C4 on it to take it out but let's face it, it also sucked being in the middle of what could have been the best fight of you're life...just to have everyone get slaughtered by death from above.

I guess you could argue that anyone can use artillery in BFBC2...but for some reason it doesn't feel as effective and thus less game disturbing.

Having any kind of class (or rank if you will) that has significantly more power than all of the other classes combined is not a fun game.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By easthill
    @magzine said:
    " @Seppli said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @B0nd07 said:

Dude - If you'd be able to explain why the 'mesmerizing Battlefield atmosphere' is so heavily reliant on the commander position and having more and more restrictive kits... However, you don't and I disagree. Everything the commander brought to the table is still in play. Any wellrounded squad is just as powerful as the commander ever was. A team of beast players is so much more than the commander could ever be. It all still happens, more intensely even. It's dense design and it shows. Less downtime, more fighting, more excitement - which is very much a result of empowering all players by splitting the commander's powers between the kits and merging several underpowerd and underused kits into actually competent and fun to play kits which each fill a distinctive role on the Battlefield.  As opposed to BF2 kits, you really see every kit getting used - unless you're going PUG and end up in a sniper-team ;P. "
    I see every kit being used in BF2, I don't know what game you're playing.  And again, when you're dealing with 64 players, you need a commander. 1942 didn't have a commander, and the game didn't feel as proper, controlled, or teamwork based. If you want 'more fighting', play call of duty or bad company. if you want a degree of realism spread out over massive battlefields at the detriment of some action, then play battlefield. Would you mind sharing your BF2 account name with us? "

Ene-ene-ene-ene-enemy Infan-ene-ene-enemy Infant-ene-ene-enemy-enemy boat spotted. The commander is great when it works, but my experience is in never/rarely does, and when I played BF2 most of the time it was on a server-park with its own community. Battlefield is great fun playing in a squad and doing a difference, but it was fun in 1942 too - without squads and commanders. It's fun in BC2 - without the commander. The commander have never defined a Battlefield game, 64-players, massive maps and vehicles has. And before you bitch about me never playing the game, my main profile was "AnQu" - and I have at least twice as much in unranked playtime. 

Realism is the last word that should be used to describe Battlefield 2. 

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MAGZine
    @easthill: hey man, my post wasn't even directed at you, unless if you have dual accounts and you're one of the people within that quotetrain.

And Bad Company is Bad Company. Not battlefield. When we talk about battlefield 3, we talk about the iteration that advanced on the PC, not the console spin off. 

I think that you just never got commander. You say that you played 1700 hours of battlefield (850 ranked), yet you have less commander time logged than I do, and I've only played the game half as much as you did.
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By easthill
    @magzine: As far as I can see you didn't send him a PM and I thought this was a public forum? Excuse me for posting my opinion. 
    MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By MAGZine
    @easthill: I'm not angry at you for posting your opinion - I'm not angry or upset or offended that you posted your opinion at all. What I mean to say was that I posted a rebuttal to his post, and you came back in firing on all guns. I thought that you thought that I was replying to you, because you didn't come off so anti-battlefield 2 in your other posts.
    easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By easthill

@magzine: Then I'm sorry I came of that way, was none of my intentions - I'm anything but anti-BF2. I've just gotten kinda upset about all the negativity towards BF3 as of lately - we still don't really know anything about the multiplayer yet... Wasn't directed at you personally.

It's kinda funny actually, I thought I would be one of the most rabid people defending Battlefield 2s honor, but so far nothing I've seen from anyone have led me to believe DICE don't know what their doing. 4 classes? Pff, I'm fine with it. No commander? Really not that big of a deal. Though remove the squad leader and I will be upset....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.