Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3, Short Rant

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SpencerTucksen

I can't stand all of the people who are removing their pre-orders because of a beta. The beta is, at the present date, approximately two months old. How ridiculous is it that people assume the final game will be like that? You should know that DICE has been working on that since well before it was officially released to the public and has most indubitably put in some sleepless nights since that point in time.

For those that don't realize, it probably takes about a month for the beta to be released to the console public (i.e. PSN and XBL users) so they probably had a beta for the beta to make sure it was appropriate for the target audience. It makes sense. The weeks that takes, they probably dealt with some of the glitches such as falling into the Earth it being impossible to get back out (sometimes not even being able to kill yourself with a grenade to reset yourself), the hit detection, etc.

I don't even want to bother with the people who want the laser and flashlight turned down. I understand wanting it changed for teammates, or wanting it off when you respawn, so you can click it on at your leisure. However, people complaining because you can't see someone are simply not good enough at the game. Based off the location of where they light is, you should be able to aim at the center (or just slightly below it), knowing where your target reticule is. From there...pull the trigger. Then they die. it was that easy for me.

It's a ginormous disadvantage when people have it on from across the map. Makes them especially noticeable to the snipers in the game. Everything has their negatives. I can't even tell you how many times I was able to save myself because I saw the laser pointer in my eyes, then bolted another direction. You take the good with the bad, and you take risks using those things. People need to stop complaining and adjust to games.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SpencerTucksen

I can't stand all of the people who are removing their pre-orders because of a beta. The beta is, at the present date, approximately two months old. How ridiculous is it that people assume the final game will be like that? You should know that DICE has been working on that since well before it was officially released to the public and has most indubitably put in some sleepless nights since that point in time.

For those that don't realize, it probably takes about a month for the beta to be released to the console public (i.e. PSN and XBL users) so they probably had a beta for the beta to make sure it was appropriate for the target audience. It makes sense. The weeks that takes, they probably dealt with some of the glitches such as falling into the Earth it being impossible to get back out (sometimes not even being able to kill yourself with a grenade to reset yourself), the hit detection, etc.

I don't even want to bother with the people who want the laser and flashlight turned down. I understand wanting it changed for teammates, or wanting it off when you respawn, so you can click it on at your leisure. However, people complaining because you can't see someone are simply not good enough at the game. Based off the location of where they light is, you should be able to aim at the center (or just slightly below it), knowing where your target reticule is. From there...pull the trigger. Then they die. it was that easy for me.

It's a ginormous disadvantage when people have it on from across the map. Makes them especially noticeable to the snipers in the game. Everything has their negatives. I can't even tell you how many times I was able to save myself because I saw the laser pointer in my eyes, then bolted another direction. You take the good with the bad, and you take risks using those things. People need to stop complaining and adjust to games.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Vestigial_Man

My problem is the finished game won't be the same as the beta. Some of the changes they're making don't appeal to me.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By huntad

I made complaints about the beta, but I hadn't pre-ordered. I didn't like how Medal of Honor-ish it felt, but that was primarily because of the lack of planes and tanks. The beta map (for PS3/360) didn't show off Battlefield 3's vehicle emphasis, which is what a lot of Battlefield players want. Regardless of bugs, if the game ran perfectly, I don't think it would have appealed to everyone either. Still, I'm going to get the game, and I'm sure it'll be pretty good.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I'm not going to cancel my Pre-order, I really enjoyed the Beta, knowing it was a Beta.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Some people will cancel their pre-orders, and that's fine. But Battlefield 3 will still make a shit ton of money.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xMP44x

I didn't pre-order but the beta didn't fill me with confidence. I'll keep reminding myself it's just a beta though.

MrXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By MrXD

I don't really care what the games is or how it looks like. As long this game is fun, I still wanna play Battlefield 3, no matter what.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SpencerTucksen said:

People need to stop complaining and adjust to games.

Are we talking about the console pre-order cancellations based on bugs and little gameplay kinks, or about the other kind of cancellation, the one by long time fans who were severely disappointed by the lack of infrastructure features and the lazy level design?
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Evilmetal
    @SpencerTucksen said:

Do you know who would be proud of your comments? EA marketing. 

Why? Because you are bashing people who want to WAIT and SEE what happens AFTER THE RELEASE, rather than BLINDLY buy something on DAY ONE. 

EA wants SALES, they want people to buy their products; whether it's a good product or not, money is money.

I've seen comments like yours on the EA UK site too. They say "give BF3 a shot first, and THEN complain".  This mentality means that you MUST BUY the game FIRST. You must surrender $60 FIRST and THEN complain, when you cannot get your money back.   

Additionally people, who want to complain, should be prepared for the "counter-attack" .  What is the "counter-attack" you may be asking ?  Observe how when EA speaks of patches, and updates, that people will say "This was not necessary, the game was great the way it was -- but now is EVEN BETTER!. See people, DICE gives extra things for FREE! when they didn't have to... awww [kitty face] ... " .  Basically what I'm trying to say here is that... essentially the same people who said "give BF3 a shot first, and then complain" , will later come out and say "STFU you entitled FUCK".  "Nothing pleases you; you want everything". "DICE are not obligated to make patches after retail release, anything give is extra" , etc.. etc... be prepared for this hi-jinx.

Lots of the complaints could have been put aside if they released a true DEMO. However with a true demo, if people said they would cancel because X, Y, Z features are not present or are broken in the demo.... they would be 100% correct in doing so; since the demo represented the FINAL version.

But now with the BETA..... there is a blur. You must have BLIND faith that EA will fix the game. 

EA says they have a team to handle the BF3 post-launch. Bad Company 2 had like ONE guy working on patches.  BF3's post-launch team most likely refers to the DLC making team. "We are working on GREAT DLC content, thus the delay in patches"...

Don't like the large maps, with small play-areas? Buy the DLC that will have gameplay encompass the entire large area.... ANY deficiencies BF3 has may be concealed via DLCs. However I think interested consumers would be pissed that EA would sell a $60 game that is the partial BF2->BF3 experience on launch.

EA may think people are accustomed to "bugs" at launch, but look.... when you go on increasing the price to $60; reduce the number of maps; reduce factions; reduce features that existed in past games.... they give the appearance that they WANT MORE FOR LESS.  They may have their reasons for 'want more for less', and that's fine... but what gets me is that they are trying to sell it as if it's a GOOD THING. That's just bullshit.  They should just come out and say that they are not as productive as the old DICE team; that they must introduce GRINDING features so as to keep players occupied, without including new content such as several factions, many maps and so forth.

Making players "GRIND" for awards, ribbons, weapons, and unlocks keeps players occupied. To put it in different terms........ GRINDING gameplay is a baby's pacifier, suckling on a teet. By sucking on the pacifier, the baby is happy; remove that pacifier and the baby starts crying. In the BF world, 'crying' would be posts of "where are the other maps?" , "we need more weapons and vehicles?",  "we need this and that..." , etc, etc...

No Caption Provided
    GRINDING, as a core component, means we're coming to the end of the journey of new gameplay ideas. New gameplay ideas will be sparingly sprinkled out now, since a refined GRINDING system will keep many people suckling. EA  [unofficially?] said that completing each of the 4 kits in BF3, will take 100 hrs a piece. If you get "HOOKED" , then you'll be 'suckling' for 400 hrs. By the end of 400 hrs, EA will have another product ready for you to begin 'suckling' on. 

[You may read my comments and think they stick to EA DICE, but in fact they are general terms/logic that can be applied elsewhere too.]
    wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By wealllikepie

not to get all up on my soapbox and shit...but you know what suck?

PRE-ORDERS!

@Evilmetal: now this man deserves a soapbox

mr_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mr_ace

I don't have issues with people who didn't like the beta, or were disappointed by it, or hoped that features in BF2 made it into the game etc.

I just can't stand hyperbole entitled cunts who stand on their soap boxes saying "FUCK YOU DICE, YOU REMOVED COMMANDER MODE, HOW COULD YOU FUCK ME LIKE THIS?" Get a fucking grip. As someone who works in the games industry, these people really piss me off.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Deathmachine117

@Evilmetal: I DONT get WHY some of YOUR words are in capitals WHILE others are not. Are you trying to EMPHASIZE a point ?

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

@Deathmachine117 said:

@Evilmetal: I DONT get WHY some of YOUR words are in capitals WHILE others are not. Are you trying to EMPHASIZE a point ?

It's because of those capitals that I didn't read it all, I mean wtf is he shouting for.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By awe_stuck

@huntad said:

I made complaints about the beta, but I hadn't pre-ordered. I didn't like how Medal of Honor-ish it felt, but that was primarily because of the lack of planes and tanks. The beta map (for PS3/360) didn't show off Battlefield 3's vehicle emphasis, which is what a lot of Battlefield players want. Regardless of bugs, if the game ran perfectly, I don't think it would have appealed to everyone either. Still, I'm going to get the game, and I'm sure it'll be pretty good.

Whats Medal of Honor?

This is the sequel to BF2 not BC2.... So, ya something to think about.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By pr1mus

@SpencerTucksen said:

Let me fix that for you:

I can't stand all of the people who pre-ordered the game based on the state of the beta. The beta is, at the present date, approximately two months old. How ridiculous is it that people assume the final game will miraculously fix everything? You should know that DICE has a consistent track record of releasing buggy and unfinished game despite working on them for countless sleepless nights.

See what i did there? This rant is so ridiculous. Ranting about other people that are conscious about their investments and would rather be sure the game is truly functional before buying is the worst kind of meaningless complaints out there.

I have a list of deal-breaking features and bugs that they need to address before i consider buying this game so why should i keep a pre-order instead of waiting for reviews that will confirm if indeed all the problems of this beta have been fixed or not.

Edit: BTW people i don't think what i say when i "fixed" his quote, that was merely done to illustrate how dumb this whole rant really is. I mind my own business when it comes to what i buy and everyone should do the same.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By themangalist

Beta actually sold me on pre-ordering. Can't wait to revive more teammates for all those points!!! :D

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hemmelight

I'm fairly sure the OP just meant that people shouldn't be treating the beta as a true demo, and then turning around and complaining about things as if it were a finished product.

Things like falling through the ground and whatnot are obviously going to be rectified, but if these players still hate the maps and gameplay etc. then that's their own fault. Not the developers'.

edit: And yes, I will be buying the game because I really enjoyed playing in the beta, warts and all. It seems like a shooter I can finally get really into and be competitive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 137

@MrXD said:

I don't really care what the games is or how it looks like. As long this game is fun, I still wanna play Battlefield 3, no matter what.

+1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.