Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 - Team Damage

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By PhatSeeJay

This question is something that comes to mind after playing a lot of Bad Company 2, Medal of Honor and even Call of Duty!

The Battlefield games have always had team damage and team killing, making the need for care when unleashing hell on the enemy.  But since Bad Company, or pretty much any team based game on the consoles were set into motion, it seems the team damage have been bumped back to only be used in hardcore modes. In BF3 the areas will be a lot bigger again so the risk of accidentally shooting someone in the back of the head will become smaller. But when reading the article it seems DICE more or less scream accessibility and ease for the player.

So the questions are:
    Reckon that DICE will go for team damage all-round or isolated for hardcore mode?
    Would it be acceptable to go for a no-team-damage system in your eyes?

Personally I think it takes away a lot of the risk and reward elements if it were to become exclusive to Hardcore mode. Only thing that could keep a commander from throwing an airstrike on a flag was if a friendly squad was rushing in to try to defend it! Tanks were more aware of their surroundings and so on. When I play hardcore on Bad Company 2 I either get run over by a tank because he just drives without looking together with me not watching the road before crossing it and then vice versa when I drive a tank. I think it's a necessity for a game of this scale to have team damage and I never saw it as an enfuriating problem in BF2  (Aside from people that teamkill for planes or choppers, but that's what the punish/forgive-system was for!).

I saw it as a mean to remember players to think twice about what they're doing out of risk of harming his teammates.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

My experiences with large scale online games like Killzone 2 (32 player) and M&B : Warband (220 player) leave me with a strong hatred for friendly fire. I just don't think the mainstream public can deal with it, I sure as hell can't.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Well the orinal Bad Company did have team damage and it was incredibly annoying. People kept on being killed by mortar strikes due to the lack of any indication where one would land.
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By stephengotlost

I believe that team killing should be disabled. Period. Often times, you die almost as often from friendly fire as you do from the opponents when starting on the ship in BF2. Otherwise, you would get kicked or lose a ton of points from an honest mistake. Furthermore, I don't believe friendly fire really increases awareness. Those who unload their LMG's will continue to fire regardless of FF or not.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Wuddel
    @SammydesinasNL said:
    " Well the orinal Bad Company did have team damage and it was incredibly annoying. People kept on being killed by mortar strikes due to the lack of any indication where one would land. "
    People kept on getting knifed, because the other guy wanted to use the artillery. Friendly fire is not for the public mainstream audience. Leave this a switable property on private servers.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm not sure what they're going to do about it.  Personally, I'd like to see friendly fire return as the standard.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Djeffers03

With amount of explosions, vehicles flying past and so on in Battlefield games I can safely say bringing friendly fire to normal game modes would be a shit idea. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

Team Killing is needed and shouldn't be punished.  I need a way to vent out frustrations when my Squad isn't doing their job.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

The fact you're calling it team damage, and not friendly fire, makes the whole discussion invalid.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

It'll definitely be disabled by default, but they'd be fucking insane to remove it altogether.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Team Killing is needed and shouldn't be punished.  I need a way to vent out frustrations when my Squad isn't doing their job. "
    I actually half-agree with this.  Some people are dumb and won't learn unless they keep getting killed.  At the same time, I don't want to see teamkilling getting out of control.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jkz

I prefer it off, and this is coming from a long time Counter-Strike player (played from beta to about two years ago); I have no problem not shooting my teammates, but I don't think the same can be said for most players, and anything that further discourages team-killing is all good in my book. 

So long as it's an option available to those who want to take the game more seriously, I'm cool with it being off by default in matchmaking.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " Team Killing is needed and shouldn't be punished.  I need a way to vent out frustrations when my Squad isn't doing their job. "
    I actually half-agree with this.  Some people are dumb and won't learn unless they keep getting killed.  At the same time, I don't want to see teamkilling getting out of control. "
    It's funny because sometimes people being alive is more of a liability than them being dead.  DotA is also a big case for this as bad players don't just suck but also give a huge boost to the other team.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    I actually half-agree with this.  Some people are dumb and won't learn unless they keep getting killed.  At the same time, I don't want to see teamkilling getting out of control. "
    It's funny because sometimes people being alive is more of a liability than them being dead.  DotA is also a big case for this as bad players don't just suck but also give a huge boost to the other team. "
    Another (not legitimate) point in favor of friendly fire is that I've probably never had as much fun in video games as I have hunting griefers on my own team.  It's so satisfying to shut them down completely until they just quit the game.  It's also taught me that abusive teamkillers aren't very good at games.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By ShaneDev

I never really got killed by getting shot by friendly fire but I did get run over and run a few people over my self which was very annoying. I would like it if that had a delay on damage when you hit a friendly in a tank or car so they could get out of the way and if they dont then they die.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @KaosAngel said:
    lmao !

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.