Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Buy a joystick if you want to dominate

• 69 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SeriouslyNow said: 
    • Gamepad works fine. I flew jets like a champ in the beta.
    Joysticks, not gamepads 
    • the lack of ping indicator seems like an oversight. Never seen a game without one of those.
    • No spectator and battlerecorder seems like it was just a matter of the beta, but until release we can't be sure.
    They're not in. Do you ever see me posting anything about BF3 without being sure?

• No in game VoIP fits in line with squads being made outside of the game. VoIP is supported outside of the game too.
    You don't seem to know the purpose of VoIP 

• One Soldier ID is a good thing. Means people who deliberately troll and hack will decline from doing so.
    That's a good point, but at the same time, if a friend or a brother wants to play a little on my PC, they can't create their own accounts. If i rank up real high and after a year want to play again from square one, something a lot of people did with BF2 and BC2, I can't do it. If you've reached a level of indifference that you're gonna shrug at that, I'm afraid I'll simply have to take you less seriously when discussing Battlefield 3. 

• There are separate control settings for Air Land and Sea.
    Great news! Where did you hear that? 

• I like Rush. Rush is a mode I purposely look for when playing BC2. Rush gives the game the focus it needs for the players who aren't into being directed and managed.
    I agree. Rush mode is great, it's the reason I played BC2 as well, it gives the game a needed focus. 

How is this related to this main-series Battlefield game having outrageous negligence for the game's trademark mode? Having Rush descriptions for 80% of the maps?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@AhmadMetallic: ...

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By spartanlolz92

better yet plug in an xbox game pad. killed everyone when in the sky when i switched to that from the mouse and keyboard.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54  Edited By BawlZINmotion

@AhmadMetallic said:

@squirrelnacho said:

It's a very simple thing to add. It would be very strange if its not added in eventually, at least they have commented on it and stated its a goal for it to be in there.

BF3 doesn't have a Ping column on the scoreboard. You can't see your ping. DICE have reached a new low of not implementing simple standard features, so really, if you can't see your ping, I doubt they'll patch in joystick support. Not in the first month or two anyway..

Battlefield 3 alpha and beta both had ping columns, they were just empty. The same thing happend with Bad Company 2 in beta and the weeks right after release, then one day the column was populated with ping information. Either way, do you really think the hardcore Battlefield players would let DICE and EA get away with it? Nope. :)

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By samfo

this thread is hilarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By 137
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @137: Haha, asshole!
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Mmmslash
    No Caption Provided

If you hunt around, you can get a Saitek x52 Stick and Throttle combo for like, $60. It's basically the most perfect entry level flight stick imaginable. It has a million inputs, three different toggles so you can bind an entirely different set of inputs, physical and software resistance and deadzone settings, a motherfucking LCD screen that can display all kinds of information depending on the game, it has a hat in case your game supports freelook (ala IL-2 or ArmA), and it even lets you customize the LED colors (or turn them off all together), if that is your thing.

I'd recommend picking one up if you have any interest in flight stuff on the PC.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By 49th

I'd like to get a joystick just because of how fun they are to use. I know I won't be using it much though, and for the price it wouldn't be worth it.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By swoxx

@Mmmslash said:

No Caption Provided

If you hunt around, you can get a Saitek x52 Stick and Throttle combo for like, $60. It's basically the most perfect entry level flight stick imaginable. It has a million inputs, three different toggles so you can bind an entirely different set of inputs, physical and software resistance and deadzone settings, a motherfucking LCD screen that can display all kinds of information depending on the game, it has a hat in case your game supports freelook (ala IL-2 or ArmA), and it even lets you customize the LED colors (or turn them off all together), if that is your thing.

I'd recommend picking one up if you have any interest in flight stuff on the PC.

Fucking DROOOL!

Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Zapbrader

Once word gets out that people are able to use their joysticks then I'll gladly go get one, but I'm not purchasing jack-squat until I see it actually implemented in the game itself, and not a day sooner.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By 137

@Pinworm45 said:

My joystick worked in the beta. You just have to use a third party program to rebind the keys, like joytokey: http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm that said, I just can't get the hang of joysticks.

Shit I wish I knew of this before the beta ended....

No Caption Provided

I've been using the x52 since battlefield 2, it maps just fine on battlefield play4free and that is WEB BASED so I see no reason why BF3 wont allow me to map the joystick to it. As long as we're able to UNMAP keys because the swedes seem to like super fucked up complicated control schemes (hold L1 to fire) did anyone else notice that in the jet demo on console?

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Franstone

@Xolare: Have you TRIED flying with keyboard + mouse?

It's horrible...

And yes it has joystick support, just mapping the buttons/axis in the beta was buggy.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mpgeist

Wish this game supported TrackIR too. Love that thing.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By McShank

@squirrelnacho said:

@Xolare said:

I'm not going to buy a useless peripheral for something that I can easily use a Keyboard for.

Ok, you seem to be on console anyway. This thread is directed for people who want to be most competitive, which it seems you don't really care about.

So you can have a controller & and joystick connected at the same time and swap at any time? This is news to me. WHat happens if you get out of the jet? Can you run around and shoot just as good with a joystick then a mouse or contoller?

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By mfpantst

I believe I'll use a gamepad for vehicle work.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By jmrwacko

@clstirens said:

Bad Company 2, as I recall, had busted Joypad support for months.

I'm not actually sure they ever fixed it, actually.

Yeah, but BF3 has jets, so it's much more important that there's functioning joystick support.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#69  Edited By GS_Dan

@Mmmslash: For the love of God, don't show Vinny that thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.