Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

How important is more than 4 classes?

• 120 results
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#101  Edited By mikemcn
    @Jayross said:

" Guys: Team Fortress 2. "

NO!  

I demand that the assault class has a non mandatory grenade launcher, in BC2 I hated being forced to have an assault rifle and a grenade launcher rather than C4. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#102  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    " @gamb1t said:

" i noticed that majority of the people that prefer less classes HAVENT EVEN PLAYED OR EVER WILL PLAY BF2.   so instead of giving your stupid i never played bf2 but STFU STFU STFU STFU?  oh ya stfu no one cares your opinion is USELESS  oh ya this game is just getting worse and worse by the day. im greatly disappointed and at this moment i am NOT rebuilding a pc just for this. "

With comments like these rolling around, it's no wonder people can just call even the most constructive criticism to the changes "a load of bitch and whine".   As an experienced BF2-player I'll say this; "I'm Commander PhatSeeJay and I must respectfully ask you to gtfo and take your fail with you." "
    yeah... its dumb angry people like that that give us a bad name :/
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#103  Edited By project343

I've always hated DICE's class/kit design. Absolutely awful. 

DICE should learn from Killzone 3 and Team Fortress 2--create some unique classes with their own proper objectives, abilities, and advantages in combat.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @project343 said:

" I've always hated DICE's class/kit design. Absolutely awful.  DICE should learn from Killzone 3 and Team Fortress 2--create some unique classes with their own proper objectives, abilities, and advantages in combat. "

we fear change
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#105  Edited By project343
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @project343 said:

" I've always hated DICE's class/kit design. Absolutely awful.  DICE should learn from Killzone 3 and Team Fortress 2--create some unique classes with their own proper objectives, abilities, and advantages in combat. "

we fear change "
    Change needs to happen to Battlefield. Weapon kits are a thing of the past--one of two directions needs to be taken with Battlefield: either overhaul classes into very strict, very unique definitions, or have fully customizable weapon kits. Either down the Team Fortress route, or the Call of Duty route.  

Also, remove the default 'assault' class. All classes should be equally effective in one-on-one combat. One should not take offensive precedence over others.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @project343:  I read that and understood it, its not that i didnt, but... 

we fear change    
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " People are going to bitch about anything that makes this game different than Battlefield 2. "
    Not this guy!  I am only going to complain if anything makes Battlefield 3 for the computer less than that of Battlefield 2.
    Feikken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By Feikken

I'm ready for whatever changes they make because that's how franchises evolve

as a huge fan of the Battlefield series (played an loved every battlefield game on PC, including bc2), I trust DICE knows wtf they are doing

all they basically need are vehicles, unlocks, cool maps, parachutes, and it'll be another fun battlefield game to play with the pals.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By ElBarto

I would prefer that they would go back to the old BF2 classes. Game was much more balanced and class equipment actually made sense. 

I have major gripes with the Medic and Assault class, Recon is questionable and Engineer is possibly the perfect class by blending Engineer and Anti-Tank which is completely fine for me.

Assault: I don't think they should be the ones passing out ammo especially since they get grenade launchers, it's not better than in Modern Warfare 2 someone doing the Army of One exploit.
    Medics: It makes no sense for them to carry a Light Machine Gun, they should be carrying either SMGs or Carbine type weapons. 
    Recon: Mortar is sort of lame, and if they do bring back the Commander feature then I assume this little item will go away. 
    I feel as though Snipers shouldn't have C4 either, but instead a claymore. Though it is understandable in BFBC2 where the maps are primarily very close quarters based and being near an enemy armor is very common, but how often do you find yourself in BF2 in maps which are arguably larger than the conquest maps (at least) so close to armor, when you are sniping from a far and above? I didn't have that issue unless I ran further in towards flags in large maps or within the city limits of the infantry maps. (In BF2)

The major class balance issue from BF2 was that as an engineer you really couldn't defend yourself from long range enemies. You had Knife, Pistol, Shotgun, Mines, Grenade and a Wrench. With the SMGS added to the class which was what the anti-tank class in BF2 wielded. So the way I see it is BF3 class system ideally for me would be.

Assault: Standard issue Rifles, Grenade Launcher attachment, either a frag grenade, pistol and knife.
    Medic: Carbine style rifle, Medkit, Frag Grenade, Defib, Pistol, Knife
    Support: LMG, Ammo Box, Smoke Grenade, Pistol, Knife
    Sniper: Sniper Rifle, Binoculars that can zoom out further for spotting, claymore, Frag, pistol, knife
    Engineer: SMG, Wrench, Rocket, Pistol, Knife
    Spec Op: Either Carbines or Light rifles (Differing from the ones available to Medics/Assault), C4, Frag, Pistol Knife.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#110  Edited By B0nd07
    @ElBarto: I like you.  Those are pretty much my exact thoughts.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By jmrwacko

You couldn't resupply your own grenade launcher as an assault class in BFBC2.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#112  Edited By Impossibilium
    @ElBarto said:
    Assault: Standard issue Rifles, Grenade Launcher attachment, either a frag grenade, pistol and knife.
    Sniper: Sniper Rifle, Binoculars that can zoom out further for spotting, claymore, Frag, pistol, knife
    Spec Op: Either Carbines or Light rifles (Differing from the ones available to Medics/Assault), C4, Frag, Pistol Knife. "

Those sound sensible, but to be honest I still think there should be a pilot class armed with only a pistol who are the only class allowed to fly. At least that way when people choose to run around the airfield waiting for respawns they have a crippled kit.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Impossibilium said:
    " @ElBarto said:
    Spec Op: Either Carbines or Light rifles (Differing from the ones available to Medics/Assault), C4, Frag, Pistol Knife. "
     Those sound sensible, but to be honest I still think there should be a pilot class armed with only a pistol who are the only class allowed to fly. At least that way when people choose to run around the airfield waiting for respawns they have a crippled kit. "
    All that'll do is prevent people camping the airfield from doing anything useful. With a standard kit, at least they have an option to leave the airfield in a scout vehicle and go be useful. And don't say only noobs go for aircraft, because I'm 2:1 kdr in BC2 and I always rush for the heli at the start of the match. Chopper gunner is fun stuff, man.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By Donos
    @jmrwacko said:

" @Impossibilium said:

" @ElBarto said:
     Those sound sensible, but to be honest I still think there should be a pilot class armed with only a pistol who are the only class allowed to fly. At least that way when people choose to run around the airfield waiting for respawns they have a crippled kit. "
    All that'll do is prevent people camping the airfield from doing anything useful. With a standard kit, at least they have an option to leave the airfield in a scout vehicle and go be useful. And don't say only noobs go for aircraft, because I'm 2:1 kdr in BC2 and I always rush for the heli at the start of the match. Chopper gunner is fun stuff, man. "
    You're saying you're not a noob at Battlefield, and your argument is a KDR. 

Let's think about that for a minute.

Anyways, I agree with the sentiment that a pilot kit wouldn't really deter airfield campers, there's only so much you can do to thwart stupidity. As to those classes, I think the Spec Ops class described above could easily just be an Assault class with some kit options (grenade launcher for C4, and maybe an optional suppressor), bringing us to 5 classes. As for Medic and Support, I don't think they would see equivalent use compared to the other classes simply because they lack destruction options and firepower at range, and one support ability really isn't enough to go on IMO. How about one all-out Support class that is as viable as the others points and usefulness-wise, but without much killling potential: LMG (very poor accuracy compared to rifles at least while moving or not prone), ammo box, revive, smoke grenade. 

If that support seems OP, how about giving revival an animation which takes some time for both people, instead of the stupid instant-use ranged chest paddle zap.
    Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#115  Edited By Helimocopter
    @Donos:   well, when you are killing atleast two people for every  time you die, you are being useful to your team, a player respawning is a player who isn't shooting or capturing, afterall  
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ElBarto said:
    "Assault: Standard issue Rifles, Grenade Launcher attachment, either a frag grenade, pistol and knife.
    I am very against the idea of a class that has no teamwork function, which is what a general assault class is. Why can't the medic have an LMG? Because BF2 didn't do it that way? I don't think a support class needs to exist personally just to be the "ammo guy". More specialized classes means teamwork and coordination become really important, which never happens in public play. However, I do agree that the spec ops class needs to make a return, because spreading that function out between the Engineer and Recon never made sense to me.
    ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By ElBarto
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @ElBarto said:
    "Assault: Standard issue Rifles, Grenade Launcher attachment, either a frag grenade, pistol and knife.
    I am very against the idea of a class that has no teamwork function, which is what a general assault class is. Why can't the medic have an LMG? Because BF2 didn't do it that way? I don't think a support class needs to exist personally just to be the "ammo guy". More specialized classes means teamwork and coordination become really important, which never happens in public play. However, I do agree that the spec ops class needs to make a return, because spreading that function out between the Engineer and Recon never made sense to me. "
    It doesn't make any sense for the medic, to be carrying around the heaviest weapon distributed to infantry troops. A medic wants to be able to defend himself viably if he has to drag another soldier away from line of fire. You can't possibly drag a guy around while hauling an M249 and defend yourself reasonably.  
    With the addition to being able to drag players it would only make sense they went back to the way BF2 modeled the class, which is much more realistic than BC2's portrayal. 
    It makes sense for there to be a dedicated guy to expend ammo, especially with a class make up like I described he/she has nothing to abuse. You can't spam frags with the class, which is its only downside but it can still mow people down,  and with the idea that you can mount your gun onto objects think of in Black Hawk Down when the dude with the M249 and his buddy are pinned down they mounted there guns up and were holding there ground.

Also to the guy who told me you can't replenish your own grenade launcher in BC2, I play every day and I've done it before just to blow up buildings.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ElBarto:  I have a huge problem with your realism argument simply because this is a game we are talking about. As far as removing the ammo box so you cant spam stuff, I really never notice that as much of a problem in BC2, especially with the grenade launchers because the kill radius is so small.
    B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#119  Edited By B0nd07
    @jmrwacko said:
    " You couldn't resupply your own grenade launcher as an assault class in BFBC2. "
    You sure as hell can.  Grenades just resupply slower than bullets.

@ElBarto: Once again, well put.
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Jace

"Hurr drr i can't beat a tank as a sniper, therefore the game is not fun and unbalanced" 

Nice op, flawless logic.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#121  Edited By mikemcn
    @jmrwacko said:
    " You couldn't resupply your own grenade launcher as an assault class in BFBC2. "
    Yes you can, i do it all the time because im a bad person.  

@Jace said:
    " "Hurr drr i can't beat a tank as a sniper, therefore the game is not fun and unbalanced"  Nice op, flawless logic. "  
    Read more, and don't get me started on snipers. Ghilli suit wearing pricks... if they could do something useful they'd be pretty dandy.  

@project343 said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @project343 said:

we fear change "
    Change needs to happen to Battlefield. Weapon kits are a thing of the past--one of two directions needs to be taken with Battlefield: either overhaul classes into very strict, very unique definitions, or have fully customizable weapon kits. Either down the Team Fortress route, or the Call of Duty route.   Also, remove the default 'assault' class. All classes should be equally effective in one-on-one combat. One should not take offensive precedence over others. "
    TF2 is such a different game than Battlefield though, carrying over balance concpets from TF2 to battlefield would be very difficult. However I fully support jars of urine as a sniper unlock in BF3. (Ironically, I love the TF2 sniper.) I just feel like the balance elements in TF2 are so different from every other shooter. How is the demoman balanced against the Scout exactly? Its hard to pinpoint those kinds of mechanics that make that work. TF2's classses are so damn unique they're not even comparable with eachother, which is why so many people spend so much time with one class, and why they all seem to have their own advantages and weaknesses. In the end, everyone in a Battlefield game has a gun that can be fire at things up close or far away, a grenade that can do splash damage and something that will blow up the occasional jeep at the very least.

@President_Barackbar: A class without teamwork function is my biggest worry with too many classes. The average player won't use a purely offensive class to help their team. It needs a basic support function in the mix, whether it be repair, ammo, medic, or.... something else, free newspaper hats? Now thats where the TF2 comes in. 
    ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By ElBarto
    " @ElBarto:  I have a huge problem with your realism argument simply because this is a game we are talking about. As far as removing the ammo box so you cant spam stuff, I really never notice that as much of a problem in BC2, especially with the grenade launchers because the kill radius is so small. "
    Just because you don't see it doesn't make it a potential issue. 
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ElBarto:  I didn't say that, I said that its not really a good excuse for cutting ammo boxes from assaults because it kills the teamwork aspect that BC2 tried to foster.
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Jace
      So being able to scout over distances, plant claymores on populated roads, and shoot people out of fucking helicopters- is what you define as "useless?" 

HAHAHAHAHA 

Someone doesn't know how to play.

@Mikemcn
    said:
    " @jmrwacko said:
    Yes you can, i do it all the time because im a bad person.  

@Jace said:
    " "Hurr drr i can't beat a tank as a sniper, therefore the game is not fun and unbalanced"  Nice op, flawless logic. "  
    Read more, and don't get me started on snipers. Ghilli suit wearing pricks... if they could do something useful they'd be pretty dandy. 
    ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By ElBarto

" @ElBarto:  I didn't say that, I said that its not really a good excuse for cutting ammo boxes from assaults because it kills the teamwork aspect that BC2 tried to foster. "

"I really never notice that as much of a problem in BC2"
    You never really notice it, but your statement acknowledges that the issue is persistent. if you are assault with ammo, why the hell would you need anyone else. As long as you keep yourself  from getting killed, you yourself can destroy entire buildings and kill people with your rifle so long as you yourself don't get killed  (again), tirelessly because you don't run out of ammo which you provide yourself. 
    That doesn't foster teamwork, having a support class that say can only drop 2 or 3 ammo boxes per life, that replenish your ammo  completely but only provide you with one replenished grenade. The support class itself cannot exploit its own use of the ammo box as it only has a smoke grenade to work. (in my design choice.)
    This makes it so neither class is abused and it causes the support class user to think when he or she should use the ammo boxes.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ElBarto:  What you suggested originally was that you have one assault class that has absolutely no teamwork value. I responded by saying I don't think that that is a good idea. Me saying I don't notice a spam problem aside, what I meant was that just because that can happen doesn't mean that that is a good reason to remove the teamwork value of an entire class. You have to be open to new ideas. Just because BF2 didn't do it doesn't mean its wrong and that BF2's way is the right way.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Donos
    @ElBarto:  In my time playing BC2, I did not notice an Assault-ammo-spam problem at al, thanks to the low explosion damage. The only issue was people sitting on ammo and spamming smoke grenades over the enemy base.

As for Assault not requiring a team, your statement was that "if you don't get killed" then you can dominate by shooting people and destroying buildings. In other words, an Assault player who is extremely good at playing Assault can perform very well in Assault's intended role of shooting people and blowing holes in buildings. What's wrong with that?

What Assault should not do, and cannot  do in BC2 even with the ammo box, is dominate or even survive the roles of the other classes. Vehicles? You don't have an AT weapon, so you need an engineer. Taking sniper fire at range? Need a good medic and maybe a Recon depending on your kit Sneaking around? Need a Recon and motion tracker or you're boned.  Even staying within the Assault role, you still need a medic because you WILL die.   

Every one of those scenarios is unavoidable in a Battlefield game, so Assault class is as reliant upon the other classes as other classes are upon it. Killing people and breaking through buildings is, in fact, neccessary.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.