Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

so apparently origin will be required to play battlefield 3.

• 76 results
    Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Clonedzero

not a huge surprise, i was expecting this, but i'm still kinda disappointed, was hoping to just pick up a boxed retail copy to avoid origin.

http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/origin-required-to-play-battlefield-3/

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Clonedzero said:
    not a huge surprise, i was expecting this, but i'm still kinda disappointed, was hoping to just pick up a boxed retail copy to avoid origin.  http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/origin-required-to-play-battlefield-3/
    We coulda assumed since it wont be on steam. 
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

Lemme guess, EA decided they had to run patches and shit through Origin rather than you know, the game, like with BC2? Those lying profit-hungry fucks should be taken to a dark alleyway

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

That doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to use the separate origin client. EA have re-branded pretty much all of their account stuff to Origin too. It most likely just means you'll have to login to your "Origin" account within the game itself to access all of the online features. That was always going to happen. You were always going to have to login to your EA account inside the game. I doubt the separate client will be involved, since the client is pretty much just a download manager and store.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Yanngc33
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @Clonedzero said:
    not a huge surprise, i was expecting this, but i'm still kinda disappointed, was hoping to just pick up a boxed retail copy to avoid origin.  http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/origin-required-to-play-battlefield-3/
    We coulda assumed since it wont be on steam. 
    They could've gone and made it retail only. Not only would that have been crazy but also better than using Origin
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By benjaebe
    @MattyFTM said:

That doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to use the separate origin client. EA have re-branded pretty much all of their account stuff to Origin too. It most likely just means you'll have to login to your "Origin" account within the game itself to access all of the online features. I doubt the separate client will be involved, since the client is pretty much just a download manager and store.

Thank you. They'll also occasionally have you use the client to activate the game (I think they did so with the PC version of Alice), but the client has never been required to remain open while you play games on it. It was that way with the Alpha because they were forcing use of the Battlelog, but the game will more than likely patch and run independently of the Origin client since I'm pretty sure EA does not have any means of patching games through the system yet like Steam does. It's simply not built for that.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By CaptainObvious

Those extra 10-20 seconds it takes to turn on origin is really going to hamper my experience with the game.

Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Duckbutter

What are you babies bitching about? Your bottles not warm enough? Fuck that shit. Competition is a good thing. Even when the competition sucks ass-meat like Origin does. You dont want Steam having a monopoly. You want the world filled with thimbles and hats and race cars and shit? Fuck that shit.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Twisted_Scot

SWEET! It'll be nice to see "The Origin servers are not available at this time, please try again later" for a change.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By laserbolts

Another thing for people to needlessly bitch about.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn

@Duckbutter said:

What are you babies bitching about? Your bottles not warm enough? Fuck that shit. Competition is a good thing. Even when the competition sucks ass-meat like Origin does. You dont want Steam having a monopoly. You want the world filled with thimbles and hats and race cars and shit? Fuck that shit.

notsureifserious.jpg

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Duckbutter: The problem with the "we need competition" argument is that EA has no intention of trying to make Origin a competitor to Steam, its just a way for them to hoard profits and I don't want it to catch on.

Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Duckbutter

@President_Barackbar said:

@Duckbutter: The problem with the "we need competition" argument is that EA has no intention of trying to make Origin a competitor to Steam, its just a way for them to hoard profits and I don't want it to catch on.

I understand what you're saying. And I respect your opinion. But I don't respect you as a person or that of your family. Even so, regardless of what evil schemes Riccitello and Hitler are concocting, competition it's still healthy.

We do need to stop EA before they get out of hand though.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Oh shoot.. Guess I'll have to input my serial key to Origin then. Oh wait. That was what I was going to do from the beginning. Carry on.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By grilledcheez

Alright

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By jelekeloy

Is it true that you lose your copy of the game after 2 years of inactivity if you buy it directly from Origin? Or was that just some grumpy EA-hater?

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By CosmicQueso

The number of people who are screaming for Steam to have a full monopoly on digital distribution can't really know the full implications of what they're asking for, can they?

A monopoly is always bad for the consumer. Competition is a very good thing.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By management

@CaptainObvious said:

Those extra 10-20 seconds it takes to turn on origin is really going to hamper my experience with the game.

I take it that you're being sarcastic with this, but it is actually the case for me. I hate long boot times.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ze_ro

Origin is ok

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Clonedzero
    @CosmicQueso said:

The number of people who are screaming for Steam to have a full monopoly on digital distribution can't really know the full implications of what they're asking for, can they?

yeah i understand that, i just wish origin would give me an actual reason to want to use its service thats all. currently i see no reason why i would want to use it over steam. however if origin gets improved and offers services or just a better experience than steam, you're damned right ill switch over but they gotta give me a reason to want to use their service.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It's annoying but it's not that bad, this doesn't seem worse than the EA account stuff you had to do with games like Dragon Age.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn

@CosmicQueso said:

Steam isn't a monopoly.

/thread

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SomeJerk

@jelekeloy said:

Is it true that you lose your copy of the game after 2 years of inactivity if you buy it directly from Origin? Or was that just some grumpy EA-hater?

They took that "stay active or f off" thing back, apparently. Like they realized it was the stupidest idea ever that made no sense.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

There is way too much unearned hatred for Origin, almost all of it from people who never used it.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Donos

Origin is just steam with a white paint job, so this doesn't really bother me. It's just one 5 second load instead of another.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McBEEF

origin is fine-plenty of physical games I've bought require steam to play so this isn't a huge deal

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CrimsonNoir

i wouldn't mine origin so much if i could only get my user name on it :(

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@Twisted_Scot said:

SWEET! It'll be nice to see "The Origin servers are not available at this time, please try again later" for a change.

They could take a shit in a box and mail it to me with my game inside the shit and it would still be a better experience than the first month of playing BC2, hell the server browser still doesn't work properly on that game and the stats syncing breaks all the time.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iamjohn

@Buck_Sexington said:

@Twisted_Scot said:

They could take a shit in a box and mail it to me with my game inside the shit and it would still be a better experience than the first month of playing BC2, hell the server browser still doesn't work properly on that game and the stats syncing breaks all the time.

Didn't you hear, though? Origin's not that bad, and the only people who hate it are people who've never used it. I mean, never mind the fact that EA's authentication servers are shit and constantly going down so good luck trying to play online Battlefield or Hot Pursuit or whatever with any of your stats or unlocks or whatever, nor the fact that EA has one of the shittiest online stores ever. Origin is just not that bad!

Also, we need it because otherwise Steam will have a monopoly! They'll be the only digital distributor around!... well, aside from Impulse... and Direct2Drive... and IGN Games... and Amazon... and GamersGate...

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArcLyte

looks like i won't be playing battlefield 3 then.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @iAmJohn said:

@Buck_Sexington said:

@Twisted_Scot said:

Didn't you hear, though? Origin's not that bad, and the only people who hate it are people who've never used it. I mean, never mind the fact that EA's authentication servers are shit and constantly going down so good luck trying to play online Battlefield or Hot Pursuit or whatever with any of your stats or unlocks or whatever, nor the fact that EA has one of the shittiest online stores ever. Origin is just not that bad!

Also, we need it because otherwise Steam will have a monopoly! They'll be the only digital distributor around!... well, aside from Impulse... and Direct2Drive... and IGN Games... and Amazon... and GamersGate...

This guy gets it.
    Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@iAmJohn said:

@Buck_Sexington said:

@Twisted_Scot said:

To be honest, I couldn't careless who I buy it from or what service I need to go through to use it I just want to play this game. Origin could be powered using the tears of orphaned slave children and I'd still use it to play Battlefield 3

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Origin to run the game and Battlelog.com to browse servers 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By crusader8463

No thanks. I guess I will be waiting for this game to go on sale during some big Steam event before I pick it u...oh wait...

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iamjohn

@Buck_Sexington: I don't particularly give a shit about Origin and it's not going to stop me from buying the game either, but I really can't stand the endless number of stupid people saying that people are overstating how bad Origin is and it's necessary for Steam to have a competitor, as if EA doesn't have an abysmal track record in both the online gaming space and the online retail space, or that there aren't a ton of retailers out there doing what Steam is doing, and that the reason Steam is so ubiquitous with PC gaming isn't because it's consistently a far more user-friendly and easier experience than any of said other retailers, or that somehow this game not being on Steam means competition with Steam.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Bollard

Firstly, I thought this was obvious ages ago... It was always going to need Origin to run. 

@MattyFTM said:

That doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to use the separate origin client. EA have re-branded pretty much all of their account stuff to Origin too. It most likely just means you'll have to login to your "Origin" account within the game itself to access all of the online features. That was always going to happen. You were always going to have to login to your EA account inside the game. I doubt the separate client will be involved, since the client is pretty much just a download manager and store.

Also, if the full game is anything like the Alpha, you definitely will need Origin. You log in with your EA details to Battlelog, and have to launch all aspects of the game from that web page. As far as I can tell there is no "in-game menu", as the Battlelog had options for Singleplayer, Multi and Coop. Furthermore, when you launch the game from the Battlelog, it automatically runs Origin if it's closed, or it starts opening the game if you had it open. 

Lastly, if you try and run the game from within Origin it just opens the Battlelog webpage for you, as you haven't selected a mode, which is why I assume there is no in-game menu. 

EDIT: Admittedly this is all assumptions from the Alpha, but idk why they would change it...
    CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CosmicQueso

@iAmJohn said:

@CosmicQueso said:

Steam isn't a monopoly.

/thread

Well you obviously didn't understand my point.

I'm referring to the numerous people claiming no Steam = no sale, as if having another service is the worst possible thing in the world.

But nevermind that, right, /thread internet meme guy?

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chavtheworld said:
    Firstly, I thought this was obvious ages ago... It was always going to need Origin to run. 

@MattyFTM said:

Also, if the full game is anything like the Alpha, you definitely will need Origin. You log in with your EA details to Battlelog, and have to launch all aspects of the game from that web page. As far as I can tell there is no "in-game menu", as the Battlelog had options for Singleplayer, Multi and Coop. Furthermore, when you launch the game from the Battlelog, it automatically runs Origin if it's closed, or it starts opening the game if you had it open.  Lastly, if you try and run the game from within Origin it just opens the Battlelog webpage for you, as you haven't selected a mode, which is why I assume there is no in-game menu.  EDIT: Admittedly this is all assumptions from the Alpha, but idk why they would change it...
    I imagine they will have an in-game menu for the final version. (Though someone feel free to correct me if they have confirmed they will not)  My guess is they not only wanted to test BF3 in the alpha, but Battlelog as well, so they made you have to use Battlelog for the Alpha.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iamjohn

@CosmicQueso said:

Well you obviously didn't understand my point.

I'm referring to the numerous people claiming no Steam = no sale, as if having another service is the worst possible thing in the world.

But nevermind that, right, /thread internet meme guy?

I did understand your point. Your point is just wrong. Not only does people not wanting to buy the game if it's not on Steam have nothing to do with competition being a good thing (since as I posted in this thread, there's a fucking ton of digital retailers out there), but it not being on Steam has nothing to do with creating competition and everything to do with EA not wanting to share DLC profits with any of the retail partners that will be hosting the game for download on their servers; Steam is the only one that can push back because they're one of the only digital retailers that has the infrastructure to support selling DLC.

dantey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By dantey

I really fail to see what is the problem here. How is that different from Valve games requiring Steam for them to run or Blizzard game needs Battlnet? The same thing. It gives the product owner better control over their products. I can get why EA would want to get rid of third parties, like Steam., who take a cut from every game they sell. 

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CosmicQueso

@iAmJohn said:

I did understand your point. Your point is just wrong. Not only does people not wanting to buy the game if it's not on Steam have nothing to do with competition being a good thing (since as I posted in this thread, there's a fucking ton of digital retailers out there), but it not being on Steam has nothing to do with creating competition and everything to do with EA not wanting to share DLC profits with any of the retail partners that will be hosting the game for download on their servers; Steam is the only one that can push back because they're one of the only digital retailers that has the infrastructure to support selling DLC.

As dantey says above, it makes sense for EA to follow Blizz and Valve. If the market will bear it, and it improves their profits, why wouldn't they do this? Why should they share profits with other services if they don't have to?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho

Wait for a fanmade patch like always.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iamjohn

@CosmicQueso: I agree with you. If they think they can do it, they're more than welcome to try, especially in light of Impulse being successful for Stardock before they sold it and Blizzard seemingly trying to cut in on Valve's game. I'm just on the side of people who want to buy their games where they like unless the retailer proves that they're worth giving money to. Over the years, EA has done the exact opposite, and I don't see Origin changing that. I also think it's perfectly acceptable that Valve wants a cut of the DLC. When you figure that they get 40% of the sale price as their cut and it costs them money to host the content, it makes perfect sense that they don't want their partner putting in hooks to circumvent giving their hosts more money for the games they're paying to host.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By vonFlampanker

@CosmicQueso: There was a competition. EA's been trying to do online stores for a few years now and we ended up with things like having to pay extra to re-download, multiple logins to access games, and an overall miserable and convoluted experience. Steam won the competition, and it appears EA's taking its ball and going home. Can't blame PC game fans if they're not exactly eager to deal with EA's way of doing things again.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Funkydupe
    @ze_ro: Yes. To store, download and play your game from two services (Steam and Origin) isn't that bad in itself and it isn't really too much of a problem. That's the way I see it. Like Cosmic says, actual competition is good for the consumer.  What some people forget is that if EA prevents Steam from selling specific titles, there won't be any competition for that collection of titles, as players are forced, even buyers of the retail copies, to be registered and have their games launched through Origin exactly the same way that Steam supported games don't like Origin. Eventually retail copies, physical copies, will be a thing of the past. Remember how the industry decided to cut out the user manual booklets? The covers and disks are next. Then these services will be the places to visit for games and gaming, if you aren't already using them, that is.

The real problems start if more services pop up, all required to play a set of games. Activision and BattleNet is venturing down that path. Then we have Ubisoft with their DRM project (The Settlers 7 anyone?). I'm sure some eyes are fixed at NCsoft as well. 

Clone, do you need us to list reasons to use Origin? Look at basically every EA published game coming out past this date, from MMOs (Like Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World) to team-based shooters (Battlefield 3). If you can do without those, now and in the future also with regards to even more futuristic titles, you're all good to stay with Steam.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#46  Edited By Legend

Just for the simple reason that I want Origin to fail miserably, I won't be buying this game and I recommend that you don't either.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I remember back in the day when everyone thought Steam was the end of the world. For a short time it was. You had to install and use Steam if you wanted to play HL2 or CS 1.6. Features didn't work right (remember the broken ass friends list?), just about every update fixed some bugs while at the same time fucking up something else, and at times it would just straight up break your computer. After eight years of evolving Steam is now the service that we all know and love. Origin might be the same, it might not.

Either way, it's yet another thing I have to install and wait 10 seconds to boot up. It's a goddamn crisis.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dantey said:

I really fail to see what is the problem here. How is that different from Valve games requiring Steam for them to run or Blizzard game needs Battlnet? The same thing. It gives the product owner better control over their products. I can get why EA would want to get rid of third parties, like Steam., who take a cut from every game they sell.

Because EA has shown in the past that they do not know how to create a user-friendly experience. Steam was also pretty convoluted when it first started, but it got better.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    @CosmicQueso said:

As dantey says above, it makes sense for EA to follow Blizz and Valve. If the market will bear it, and it improves their profits, why wouldn't they do this? Why should they share profits with other services if they don't have to?

When PC gaming was "dying" EA was the first to pull out games from the platform, and now, after Valve almost single handed saved PC gaming from the impending doom, EA wants to get back and steal their turf with unfair tactics.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By infininja

@jayjonesjunior said:

@CosmicQueso said:

When PC gaming was "dying" EA was the first to pull out games from the platform, and now, after Valve almost single handed saved PC gaming from the impending doom, EA wants to get back and steal their turf with unfair tactics.

The only turf EA is "stealing" is their own and they're being completely fair about it. ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.