Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Want to join a modded server on Battlefield 3? Think again...

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

Reports on Reddit are coming in stating that if you join a Battlefield 3 modded server, your Origin account will be banned and you will have no access to your games. Here's what was stated in a quote from a DICE manager:

We are aware that a number of servers have appeared and are running game modes and player counts that have not currently been seen. Please try to remain on official servers.
    Official server run the following configuration
    Max Players: 32
    Map: Operation Metro
    Mode: RUSH
    Please avoid temptation and remain on these official servers while we work to have these servers dealt with.
    Playing on those servers can cause your account to become compromised , stats to be altered or other issues to arise which may lead to having your account banned by EA

Below that post was another quote from DICE

If your account gets banned it does mean any EA game you have on your account would also be unavailable

So far there's only an imgur link to said comments by DICE and I'll try my best to find this forum post.

http://i.imgur.com/mfoQW.png

EDIT: Source of the forum post - http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/#!/bf3/forum/...hreadview/2826564925948154637/

Apparently I'm not allowed to login to see if that's the right one, but someone from another forum reassured this is the right one.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Let the shitstorm begin.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ch13696

@AlmostSwedish said:

Let the shitstorm begin.

I'll get my umbrella.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Questionable

Console dominance, destroying PC gaming since 2006

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ch13696

@Questionable said:

Aaaawwwww... c'mon. We didn't ask for this.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Yes, some tech team stole the server code or whatever it's called and they opened their own servers, ON BATTLELOG

It seriously gives me chest pains to think of how much DICE and EA fuck up. It's beyond human imagination

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

This might be a just for now thing. Maybe they'll be a little more cool about it once they are done beta testing and put out a full product.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ch13696

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

This might be a just for now thing. Maybe they'll be a little more cool about it once they are done beta testing and put out a full product.

I sure hope so. I'm not planning on buying the game day one, but some time in the future I would like to. That's if they actually do have dedicated servers.

mr_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mr_ace

of course this is just a beta thing. that's wht they say you should only be playing on 32 player metro rush maps. anything else and you're playing on hacked servers, which is pretty much the same as pirating the game

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Andorski

This is only for the beta, right?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

Yo bro it's cause it's in beta.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Bollard

@FireBurger said:

They have repeatedly said that they not are going to support mods on the PC. This is just for the beta because those servers aren't supposed to be there.

Fix'd.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ze_ro

What the shit. What if I alrdy joined a non-official server without knowing this ? At least let me know EA, send an email or something plz

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

@Chavtheworld said:

@FireBurger said:

They have repeatedly said that they not are going to support mods on the PC. This is just for the beta because those servers aren't supposed to be there.

Fix'd.

Ok, so...which one is it? Are these just your assumptions, or do either of you know for sure?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By themangalist

Well I found modded servers running a better ping than most "official" servers. Lags like fuck and can't play at all on those. Found a great deathmatch server that ran really well. I guess there goes my account :P

EDIT: Yes I found out that I can't connect to EA servers anymore. Probably because of that. But at least send an e-mail telling me I got banned or something. Really glad I was only rank 4 and had no other "Origin" games. I'd say pretty jerk move to do it this early, and I guess the quality of service is enough to make me NOT want to buy the game.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By FireBurger

@Brendan said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@FireBurger said:

Fix'd.

Ok, so...which one is it? Are these just your assumptions, or do either of you know for sure?

Alright, this one's my bad. I remembered incorrectly, I was thinking of another game. I just looked it up and DICE will not be making mod tools available out of the gate, though they may be "thinking" about it down the road.

Source: http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/14574/dice-no-bf3-mod-tools-for-a-while

notha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By notha

@AhmadMetallic said:

Yes, some tech team stole the server code or whatever it's called and they opened their own servers, ON BATTLELOG It seriously gives me chest pains to think of how much DICE and EA fuck up. It's beyond human imagination

i'd love to think it's all EA fucking with DICE and DICE has to sit on the sidelines yelling NOOO STOP! YOU"RE RUINING EVERYTHING!

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xdaknightx69

exactly what i was afraid off, as soon as the game comes out its gonna be a hacker fest!

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ch13696

@themangalist said:

Well I found modded servers running a better ping than most "official" servers. Lags like fuck and can't play at all on those. Found a great deathmatch server that ran really well. I guess there goes my account :P EDIT: Yes I found out that I can't connect to EA servers anymore. Probably because of that. But at least send an e-mail telling me I got banned or something. Really glad I was only rank 4 and had no other "Origin" games. I'd say pretty jerk move to do it this early, and I guess the quality of service is enough to make me NOT want to buy the game.

Let me know if you're banned at all. I have games on Origin that I really don't want to lose.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By gamb1t

thats real steep, feel sorry for those who have no clue.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By soldierg654342

I can understand them wanting to discourage playing on modded servers. Betas are (supposed) to be about stress testing certain aspects of the game, and if you are not playing the game in that fashion and going onto the internet to complain about how messed up the game is because, you could potentially be hurting sales by spreading false information on the quality of the product.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PeasantAbuse

That's really dumb, a ton of people that are playing this will have no way of knowing that they aren't supposed to join those servers.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By DeeGee

Oh great, thanks for spreading misinformation.

What you say: EA will ban you for going on a modded server.

What the quote says: Going on a modded server may cause issues that could mean you get your account banned, such as having your account compromised or your stats all messed up.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blueduck

I thought it was already an established fact that there will be no modding of BF3.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ch13696

@DeeGee said:

What the quote says: Going on a modded server may cause issues that could mean you get your account banned, such as having your account compromised or your stats all messed up.

What about the people that don't know. The people that just happen to jump onto a modded server that can alter stats. They don't know if it can or can't alter stats.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jackel2072

banning people for joining a modded server is pretty stupid. not all of the server names had something stupid like "EA FUCKED" i mean really what did you expect would happen? of course people are going to jump at the chance to play something other then Rush. and no real official word from DICE or EA until it was too late. Right now the Tension between the community and DICE is...well tense. most of the forum posts in Battle.log are nothing more then fuck you dice you made a shitty game! im sure this is not going to help matters any. its just seems like this beta so far has been a real cluster fuck.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Humanity

Ironically the Battlefield we see today is all thanks to the popularity of a BF1942 mod.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blueduck

@Jackel2072 said:

banning people for joining a modded server is pretty stupid. not all of the server names had something stupid like "EA FUCKED" i mean really what did you expect would happen? of course people are going to jump at the chance to play something other then Rush. and no real official word from DICE or EA until it was too late. Right now the Tension between the community and DICE is...well tense. most of the forum posts in Battle.log are nothing more then fuck you dice you made a shitty game! im sure this is not going to help matters any. its just seems like this beta so far has been a real cluster fuck.

I agree. I can understand making the beta map Metro for the consoles, since those people need to be weened off call of duty, but they should have used an actual battlefield type map for the pc version.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Humanity said:

Ironically the Battlefield we see today is all thanks to the popularity of a BF1942 mod.

Yeah. If you were playing 1942 without mods, you were doing it wrong.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jackel2072

@blueduck said:

@Jackel2072 said:

I agree. I can understand making the beta map Metro for the consoles, since those people need to be weened off call of duty, but they should have used an actual battlefield type map for the pc version.

really my point was, most people who joined a modded server, didnt know they were doing something bad. the first night i logged into the beta there were a few servers running Metro on conquest. if you tried to join, the game would just spit out a big fat error message, but still. add the fact that DICE did end up opening Caspian boarder for a short time too. im sure most people saw the other modes and though DICE was simply opening up some other options. They should be going after the people who hacked the servers not the players. right now DICE does not have a good relationship with its core community at the moment. this could end up being vary damaging for them.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By blueduck

@Jackel2072 said:

@blueduck said:

@Jackel2072 said:

really my point was, most people who joined a modded server, didnt know they were doing something bad. the first night i logged into the beta there were a few servers running Metro on conquest. if you tried to join, the game would just spit out a big fat error message, but still. add the fact that DICE did end up opening Caspian boarder for a short time too. im sure most people saw the other modes and though DICE was simply opening up some other options. They should be going after the people who hacked the servers not the players. right now DICE does not have a good relationship with its core community at the moment. this could end up being vary damaging for them.

Dice and Ea are not looking to develop a core community with this game, they proved that by constantly shitting on them. What they want is that sweet sweet COD general population money, the kind of people who hope on play a few rounds then get off. These kinds of people are not looking for mods and anything extra, they don't know what a dedicated server is.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SammydesinasNL

O look! Another Caspian Border server!

*joins*

FUUUUUU-

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By mikemcn

@blueduck

Dice and Ea are not looking to develop a core community with this game, they proved that by constantly shitting on them. What they want is that sweet sweet COD general population money, the kind of people who hope on play a few rounds then get off. These kinds of people are not looking for mods and anything extra, they don't know what a dedicated server is.

That's the answer to every question about BF3, DICE doesn't want a new Battlefield Game, they want to be the next Infinity Ward. I used to just think it was EA that wanted that, but DICE has shown far too much ignorance on what it's community is asking for.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bravestar

I really feel sorry for the people who aren't big ol nerds like us, who just see a new map and think "sweet, gotta check it out!"

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blueduck

@Mikemcn said:

@blueduck

That's the answer to every question about BF3, DICE doesn't want a new Battlefield Game, they want to be the next Infinity Ward. I used to just think it was EA that wanted that, but DICE has shown far too much ignorance on what it's community is asking for.

Well Ea foots the bill so its not like DICE can be openly defiant. EA didn't put up a ton of money for this game because they liked what they saw in battlefield 2 they put up a lot of money because they saw the kind of money Activision was pulling in. If DICE doesn't bring in a least half of what call of duty does then EA will punish them and DICE knows it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By Humanity

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Humanity said:

Yeah. If you were playing 1942 without mods, you were doing it wrong.

Mods were awesome (Total Retardation Mod) but I played the HECK out of 1942 in plain vanilla form. Whenever people got bored with playing the game everyone would organize flying upside down contests, landing on roofs, remote islands etc. Seemed like back then people banded into a real community on servers.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By evilrazer

Was playing today on 64 Conquest Metro map, didn't know that it was restricted.

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By karneh

Great. Ban those that play on it. Sure solves the problem.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Robo

@Humanity: How quickly they forget.

I'm hoping this is just because it's only in beta and they need a more controlled environment.

The whole threat of banning people from Origin (and all their other shit on Origin) for what amounts to tinkering with one game is kind of f'd. Also potentially a bad move with so many people already not that into the whole idea of Origin.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By DystopiaX

Yeah I usually don't look at the server name, just how many open slots there are, so I could see myself getting unlucky with this

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@DeeGee said:

Thank you.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blueduck

How would getting your stats messed up lead to a banning?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Contro

Ugh, that seems so unjust.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    No Caption Provided
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ravenlight

So the game's not even released yet and there's a possibility that my account could get banned? I'm glad I didn't jump on the BF3 bandwagon yet.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By Vexxan

EA really does everything to take a shit on their customers these days. DICE's making great games and EA kills it.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Azteck

@notha said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Yes, some tech team stole the server code or whatever it's called and they opened their own servers, ON BATTLELOG It seriously gives me chest pains to think of how much DICE and EA fuck up. It's beyond human imagination

i'd love to think it's all EA fucking with DICE and DICE has to sit on the sidelines yelling NOOO STOP! YOU"RE RUINING EVERYTHING!

This is what I think happened too. DICE seem like smart people, EA do not.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DonPixel

@ch13696 said:

@Questionable said:

Aaaawwwww... c'mon. We didn't ask for this.

to obvious if you ask me

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RsistncE

The funniest part about all of this is that there are people on these forums that were telling me that EA treats it's customers better than Valve.

Trololololol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.