Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Does Your PC Run the BF4 Beta Well?

• 90 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Poll Does Your PC Run the BF4 Beta Well? (199 votes)

Yes. 37%
    No. 16%
    No, but it should. 47%

I think BF4 should run well enough at medium-high'ish settings on my PC (Phenom II X4 965 BE, 1 GB HD 5870, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, No SSD). For the most parts it does (30-50 FPS), but every so often, it chugs hard (like one-digit FPS). If I'd be playing BF4 for real, I'd deem the current experience I have with it unplayable.

While I hear it's quite common for BF4 in this Beta build, there's a lot of people who can play it perfectly fine with all the dials cranked up. Just wondering how exactly the GB community divvies up. How does it run for you?

• 
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#51 fisk0  Moderator

I've had too many issues keeping connected to servers, when not flat out kicked to have been able to try settings that work better, but I'm getting rather unstable framerates, runs well when I'm alone on the server, but with more people on it starts getting chuggy. My CPU is just above minimum specs though, and I've currently only got 4 GB RAM, so I'm certainly not expecting wonders. I think my 7750 should handle it once I upgrade the CPU and RAM though.

Lightningbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Lightningbro

Now, I have an intel core i7-3770 CPU, GeForce GTX 680, 16GB ram. And i have most of the time smooth fps but sometimes it stutters really hard and I don't know what is causing that. I think this pc should really be capable of running BF4 smooth.

UNTERNEHMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play BF3 on ultra with 130 to 160 FPS.

No Caption Provided

but BF4 is so buggy its killing me. i was beta for BF3 we fell trough the ground and float in space. and shoot each other with sniper rifles. in bf4 it rubber band man stuff. man, its not my cable....

system spec:

• I7 960 3.2 @ 3.5GHz
    • SLI EVGA GTX660ti ftw+ 3GB per card
    • Gskill 6gb 2000Mhz
    • intel 320 120GB raid "0" stripe
    • evga x58 e770 classified
    • asus VW246H HDMI
    • I am network admin, running Gigabit network. shh.... don't tell my boss

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By monetarydread

@seppli said:

If anything, this cements my decision to go with the PS4 version of the game. I can't be bothered to upgrade right now, and to be frank I'd rather get an all new set-up in a couple of years, so my hopes all hinge on my future PS4 being up to the task.

I don't doubt for a second that it'll run way smoother on new gen consoles, but will it be in 1080p? I care about that too. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

The PS4 version of the game runs at 720p (according to what I read on NeoGAF at least)... it runs at 60fps though.

mrGREEK360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By mrGREEK360

Intel i7 3770

16GB DDR3 1600MHz

NVIDIA EVGA GTX 670 2GB OC

Windows 7 64bit

Latest Nvidia Beta Drivers

1080p

Custom Ultra settings as Ultra preset doesn't turn everything on, the only thing that isn't set to max is the Super Sampling which is set to 100%. I get a stable 50-60 fps, as I frame lock at 60fps, even when recording for my youtube channel I got around 40 fps with never a dip below 30fps which is fine for Youtube as its capped at 30fps. Overall as someone who has Alpha/Beta tested games for 15 years, and this is a decent BETA, fact is gamers today have been spoiled by so called betas which are just pre release demos with beta slapped on, so when a real beta comes around, everyone flips their shit.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Seppli

@monetarydread said:

@seppli said:

If anything, this cements my decision to go with the PS4 version of the game. I can't be bothered to upgrade right now, and to be frank I'd rather get an all new set-up in a couple of years, so my hopes all hinge on my future PS4 being up to the task.

I don't doubt for a second that it'll run way smoother on new gen consoles, but will it be in 1080p? I care about that too. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

The PS4 version of the game runs at 720p (according to what I read on NeoGAF at least)... it runs at 60fps though.

Better than not running at all. I really hope for a higher rendering resultion than 720p. That shit looks like poop in comparison to proper 1080p.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@monetarydread said:

Better than not running at all. I really hope for a higher rendering resultion than 720p. That shit looks like poop in comparison to proper 1080p.

Sorry if it seemed like I was shitting on the PS4 version. You just mentioned that you were hoping for 1080p. 720p is awful in comparison to 1080p, and unfortunately the PS4 is only powerful enough to run current-gen games at 1080p. As soon as you increase fidelity, something has to give, and I have a feeling that 720p /30fps is going to fairly common in next-gen games. 720p upscaled is still a step up in comparison to this generations sub-720p upscaled to 1080p problem (halo series, crysis series, GTA series, any Frostbite engine game, etc).

Remember, this is not a demo, it is a 'beta-assed-beta,' and the performance and stability is always the last optimizations that developers make. I remember playing the Lord of The Rings Online beta and my beefy PC could not handle the beta a week before release. A day before release, there were Nvidia drivers that almost doubled my frame-rate, then the retail release code increased performance on top of that.

My reccomendation would be to wait until release and check out reviews / pc benchmarks. Traditionally the community in Battlefield games has been better on PC.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Seppli

@monetarydread said:

@seppli said:

@monetarydread said:

Sorry if it seemed like I was shitting on the PS4 version. You just mentioned that you were hoping for 1080p. 720p is awful in comparison to 1080p, and unfortunately the PS4 is only powerful enough to run current-gen games at 1080p. As soon as you increase fidelity, something has to give, and I have a feeling that 720p /30fps is going to fairly common in next-gen games. 720p upscaled is still a step up in comparison to this generations sub-720p upscaled to 1080p problem (halo series, crysis series, GTA series, any Frostbite engine game, etc).

Remember, this is not a demo, it is a 'beta-assed-beta,' and the performance and stability is always the last optimizations that developers make. I remember playing the Lord of The Rings Online beta and my beefy PC could not handle the beta a week before release. A day before release, there were Nvidia drivers that almost doubled my frame-rate, then the retail release code increased performance on top of that.

My reccomendation would be to wait until release and check out reviews / pc benchmarks. Traditionally the community in Battlefield games has been better on PC.

I'll play on PS4 regardless. I prefer the feel of a gamepad-only environment for Battlefield. The increase in TTK (time to kill) due to slightly lower average speed and precision of gamepad players increases my enjoyment of the game, as does the fact that I've never encountered a cheater in a Batttlefield game on consoles. Games with dedicated servers are pretty much 100% cheater free on consoles, since most cheating on consoles goes hand in hand with P2P hosting.

On PC, you just never know what got you. Does the guy just have more frames and incredible reflexes with unbeatable precision and speed with KB&M. Or is it just some fucking asshole using a *trainer*. Looking forward to trusting the online games I play again. Just hope I'm trusting them in crisp 1080p. Really, these consoles are more powerful than my PC which could kinda run BF4 nicely after some optimizaitons, with proper technical artdirection (one that values rendering resultion over some of the more expensive fancy effects, and instead choses to just cheaply cheat for the intended results) 1080p shouldn't be an issue really.

Just look at GTA V on current consoles. Whatever that game's technical art director did. He had the right priorities.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Soooo... I click download for the beta in the Origin client and it's telling me immediately that my operating system is incompatible. I have 64 bit Windows 8, so I'm not sure what's up. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas? I'd like to report how it runs on my PC, but I've been met only with rejection.

Geejay22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Specs: i7 980, amd 6990, 12gigs ram 1333Mhz. Windows 8 pro

Game works perfect for me, on ultra at 1080p runs from 40-60 fps. Beta is beta, so it does kick me out of games sometimes but it's rock solid for me.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Ravelle

i5-3570K 3,4Ghz Quad Core

8 GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 570 on 2560 x 1440p

It runs fine when on ultra if I disable the AA and the crazy things but the frames drop when facing flames and such.

asp1959

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an

Intel I7 oc at 3.36

Maximus formula mobo
    Asus GTX780 (just bought the card last Sunday) My Old GTX570 couldn't even play the game
    16 gig DDR3 1600
    1 x SSD 240
    3 x HDD 1 tera in raid 0

No glitch beside the usual not able to load the map, or having a wierd spawn point map where all the points are moving mith my mouse. But these are du to the beta version so I am not worry

As for gameplay, My old GTX570 would not even load the game as I was getting an DirectX error out of video memory . I tried updating the drivers, even reloading 7 from scratch (I have a backup so reinstalling it the way it was before was not a problem) I was still getting the direct X error.

So I decided that replacing my card that was 2 year old was not a rela problem. So I did. Now I am max out everywhere at 1680 x 1050 res with no chop. I will give you my FPS later but I must be over 35 for sure. Now next step will be with 2 monitor and cranck it up all the way.

I will keep you posted.

All of you who have older video card you will probably need to replace them in order to play half decent

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By Cubical

Since my machine is a machine I use for ultra high poly big texture 3d rendering work, in 3d studio max and maya and I play games with it when I am done with that it is my everything machine.

Yes it runs well but I am throwing fucking unnecessary computer power at it so even if the game is coded like ass it will still run at max or high detail. For giggles I installed the game to a RAmdisk to see if load times went away. they pretty much did and streaming data was instantly loaded.. this is something i use for huge 3d files of scanned objects/buiildings or some games.

http://lifehacker.com/5969767/add-a-ram-disk-to-your-computer-for-faster+than+ssd-performance

ihaz3monitors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield 4 Open Beta - Nvidia Surround - GTX 670 3-Way SLI:

Loading Video...

Other than a few dips here and there due to hitting my VRAM limit of 2GB, it runs quite well! Here's a triple-monitor tour of the Siege of Shanghai map in the Battlefield 4 Open Beta. Conquest Large game mode, maxed out textures!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsLw8nzefdo

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Seppli

BF4 Beta on PC just got a patch. It seems to have increased performane quite a bit. I do still suffer from regular dips, making BF4 on PC still unplayable competitively for me.

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using an i7 920, 12GB DDR3 RAM, GTX780, 2560x1440x110hz display, and as long as I turn textures down from Ultra to Very High it seems to be running pretty smooth, a few hiccups here and there but nothing major.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By Samaritan

Frame rate-wise, my PC, with a mix of 2-4 year old hardware is running the game like a champ, pulling down around 35-45FPS at 1080p at High/Ultra. But, like a lot of other beta players right now, I'm getting significant stuttering for no apparent reason other than that the beta just hasn't been optimized for certain CPU's yet. Setting the bf4.exe's priority to Low in the Task Manager has helped significantly, but I still get micro stutters every dozen seconds or so.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The latest patch (50 mb) fixed my stuttering issues; no massive slow downs or anything. My peak fps is now at about 80 fps on medium but still drops to ~45 in heavy battles. It mostly sits around 50-60 fps and it feels way better. I'm on 2500k/560 gtx/Win 7 set up.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

The last patch combined with a bit of CPU overclocking seems to have helped. I'm now playing on High at 2560x1440 at around 40 fps, even with my old "garbage" processor. Much better than the 15 fps at 720p on low I was seeing previously.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

I had no issues running the game on high. Battlefield 4 beta actually ran much better than I was expecting considering the engine upgrade. Wanting to run Battlefield 4 is a whole other story, which I will be commenting on in your other thread about impressions.

i7 930
    Radeon 6950
    12GB DDR 2000 G.Skill Trident

ihaz3monitors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DudeSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could get it to run period! Im so bummed that whenever I choose to join a server the game crashes when trying to load the level. I updated my Nvidia drivers, restarted my computer and still it wont work!

Hope this wont be the case when it gets released.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield 4 Open Beta - Intel HD Graphics 4600:

Loading Video...

So, we've seen this game run on a crazy triple-monitor setup, but, how does it run on an HTPC that does not have a discrete GPU, and runs on less than 150W total!? Depends on the resolution, really!

Resolution is more or less the biggest barrier at the moment on IGP's, it all comes down to the lack of available memory bandwidth. Even with DDR3 clocked at 2400mhz in dual channel the best you can do is around 26 gb/s. Hopefully DDR4 can provide a big boost in this department in a year or 2 but only time will tell.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The latest patch removed all stuttering from the game. It runs at about 50ish frames in 1080p at medium settings, with ultra texture filtering, no AA, no ambient occlusion. I'd be mighty surprised if BF4 isn't going to be rendered in 1080p on consoles, seeing how my PC is a lot weaker than that.

Got to say though, despite running fine on my PC now, I still enjoy the feel of the PS3 version more. Might just be me lacking a dedicated soundcard, but it sounds so much better on PS3, and the rumble from the gamepad makes shooting guns so much more rewarding. Also - I enjoy the general increase in TTK on the console version, due to the lack of point 'n' click precision and speed and ease of KB&M.

The gameplay just jells better for me in a gamepad-only environment.

b4d533d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By b4d533d

im getting MUCH better framerates after upgrading to the latest nvidia BETA drivers. i used to get tremendous dropping in fr around fire, to the single digits. now it stays in the 30-60 range through the whole match

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm quite shocked how well this game is scaling for me.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @2.8GhZ
    12GB DDR3 RAM

GTX460 SE @1080p and I'm getting about 40-50fps on Ultra.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dice have stated a while back that it is 720p/60fps on the new consoles, so no, it won't be 1080. Also generally lower settings, but I've heard it still looks good and the performance is what matters.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm quite shocked how well this game is scaling for me.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @2.8GhZ

12GB DDR3 RAM

GTX460 SE @1080p and I'm getting about 40-50fps on Ultra.

Me too. I'm really curious how this will transfer to the actual release. I'm playing it on Ultra as well (which I was led to believe I wouldn't be able to do with a 660 ti) and getting good frame rates. However, I don't think it looks all that impressive - I assume that the actual release set to Ultra will be a whole lot more taxing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Seppli

@pause422 said:

Dice have stated a while back that it is 720p/60fps on the new consoles, so no, it won't be 1080. Also generally lower settings, but I've heard it still looks good and the performance is what matters.

Not true. There are conflicting messages and none of them are official. The last thing we heard is that Xbox One and PS4 versions will use the same rendering resolution, and that's not official either. And seeing how my shit computer runs it quite smoothly in 1080p now, I'd be surprised if DICE doesn't get it to run at a buttery smooth 1080p 60 FPS on these new consoles, if they set their priorities that way. They're both more powerful than my PC.

Upscaled 720p looks like hot garbage in comparison to straightup 1080p rendering resolution.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    ihaz3monitors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: So, if one wants to game with an iGPU, (perhaps they have an HTPC that doesn't have room for a actual video card), they should grab the fastest RAM available for the mobo in order to get the best framerates.

alishathomaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have got recommended game requirements for BF$ and still the game lags then try these techniques to optimize your PC to run the game smoothly:

• Optimize Background Services & Defrag Registry
    • Stop Universal Plug & Play Service
    • Change Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames
    • Remove Corrupt License Files
    • Update your Drivers
    • Change Screen Resolution

If you are unable to try these techniques manually then for more details visit this presentation:

http://www.slideshare.net/SorcimTechnologies/battlefield-4-lag-maverick-tricks-to-reduce-lagging-in-battlefield-4-pcwindows

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those wondering, the game is better optimized than it was in beta. I'm on a mid grade PC (FX-6350, Radeon 7870, 8GB DDR-1600, Win7) getting about 50FPS on High in full 64-player servers.

Trying the 13.11 Beta7 drivers (supposed to be a 10% performance increase over 13.9), then I'll report back.

Pjanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Pjanoo

Im Rolling an Old Beasty Q6600 Ridin @3.40GHZ And a Mid game Sapphire HD 6790 1GB GDDR5 256Bit Oc to 990/1300

and Hyper X 4gb Ram... Game is runnin at av 40Fps and Minimum 24fps on 1980/1080p All settings on Ultra except Antializing (off) FOV 70 ,blur 50% :)) most of the time im at 40+ fps so game is enjoyable and i play without any problems and enjoying the amazing graphics and sound :)

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

runs ok on my machine, 2600k 4.4ghz and gtx 480

get about 30-60 fps (varies by map) everything on ultra with ambient occlusion and anti-aliasing off at 1920x1200

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure what I should do. I was shocked that it can run with everything maxed out at 50ish fps but when I first booted up the game everything was set to high and I think the game was running at 80ish fps. I really liked that but 50ish on ultra just looks pretty.

i5 4670

GTX 760

8 GB 1600 Ram

Samsung Evo 250 SSD

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ran nice and smooth for me mostly, Could definitely tell is was very poorly optimized at that point, but that makes sense considering its a beta.

Using a GTX 670, i7 3820, and 16gb fancyRAM.

Decided to pick it up on PS3/PS4 though, prefer controller shooting. Looking forward to that PS4 version though, PS3 version is nice but noticeably different from the beta on PC.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xeiphyer said:

Ran nice and smooth for me mostly, Could definitely tell is was very poorly optimized at that point, but that makes sense considering its a beta.

Using a GTX 670, i7 3820, and 16gb fancyRAM.

Decided to pick it up on PS3/PS4 though, prefer controller shooting. Looking forward to that PS4 version though, PS3 version is nice but noticeably different from the beta on PC.

What? Does the PC version not support gamepad or something?

Not sure what I should do. I was shocked that it can run with everything maxed out at 50ish fps but when I first booted up the game everything was set to high and I think the game was running at 80ish fps. I really liked that but 50ish on ultra just looks pretty.

i5 4670

GTX 760

8 GB 1600 Ram

Samsung Evo 250 SSD

I would go for visuals for campaign and better framerate for multi

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: The campaign? I see the button to select it but every minute I spend in the campaign is a minute I don't spend in the multiplayer but I will put the game on high as you suggested.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

i7-3820 on a GTX680 w/ 16GB of memory on a SSD and it runs really well. During the beta was a bit bummed since it ran sorta choppy but post launch, apart from the issues with MP servers, it's been a dream. Definitely seems smoother than BF3. Maybe because it's optimized from 64bit systems (Windows 8.1 Pro).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.