Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Bad Company 2: sleeper hit of the year?

• 60 results
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Scooper

I dunno. I've got this suspicious inkling that this game's going to be really successful. With alot of people (me included) who aren't satisfied with MW2 and after trying the demo I've gone from not interested to day one buy. Anyone else feel the same? I find myself having alot of "OH SHIT WHAT THE HELL!!" moments in the demo and it's just awesome. The sniping feels good without being overpowered since you can only really hit still targets or ones running in a strait line for a long period of time. The vehicles feel powerful without being indestructable. The destructable terrain and cover is really interesting for an online shooter, especialy one with maps this size. It really does make a difference. One match a wall just happened to have a little chunk blown out of it just the right size for me to point my gun out of it while the next match it got destroyed in 30 seconds making me have to go somewhere else.

I think it's going to be a perfect storm for this game.. it's coming at the right time where MW2's starting to get pretty old, it's improoved alot on the first game and the demo leaves a very good impression, I think BC2's going to be one of the best sellers this year and a few weeks ago it wasn't even on my radar.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sopranosfan

I don't know if you could classify it as a sleeper.  Honestly in my opinion I could see it ending up being more of a disappointment than a true sleeper simply because the gaming community is pretty excited about it but the general community not buying it because they are happy with MW2.  Plus you have to look at all the other games coming out that could take away sales from it.  I think it will sell well probably somewhere in the 2-4 million range this year.  Watch out Pachter I am coming for your job.

MrPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MrPickles

Though I found that my experience with the BC2 demo wasn't all that fantastic, you have a good point. I'm almost certain that a good number of MW2 players are going to hop onto this, especially considering that there's so much more to do in Bad Company 2 compared to Modern Warfare 2.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Scooper

I guess my inkling is me just hoping it's good and hoping it'll do well. Of course the full game isn't out yet so we don't know for sure how it'll balance out with all the perks and guns there'll be.

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By adziboy

I don't think it can qualify as a sleeper - if anything, I see it as one of the biggest releases of the years. Anything but sleeping. Theres been betas, demos, trailers and is the next big shooter.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, not for me anyways.  I've been looking forward to it since it was announced.  I loved the first one.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By keyhunter

I'd buy that for a dollar.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

A lot of people who were going to buy MW2, until the no dedicated servers thing, are probably going to buy BC2.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rowr

Stop using terminology you dont understand.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper
    @Rowr: Ok, sorry.

This is why I post alot and rarely make threads. What was I thinking.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rowr
    @Scooper said:

" @Rowr: Ok, sorry.  This is why I post alot and rarely make threads. What was I thinking. "

I think your points are valid. Just reffering to a pretty well advertised franchise game as possibley being a sleeper hit makes no sense.

Personally i feel like the controls are holding bf:bc2 back, they just feel nowhere as tight as games like mw2 and halo. Something about the aiming sensitivity, the lack of reaction of bullet hits? I dont know. The controls feel improved over the first, but 50 percent of the time it feels like they arent doing what i want.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scooper
    @Rowr: I'm the other way around. Really like the controls in BC2 but not in MW2. I guess it's a matter of taste.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Alexander

After sinking some time into the demo I have to say I'm quite impressed. However I do have a number of issues: 

-I was getting just as much enjoyment out of playing BF1943. 
    -I was getting more enjoyment out of playing BF2
    -I do find movement a huge pain in the ass. I can't help but compare it to MW2 - but that game has the movement down to a T. By comparison BC2 feels clunky. 
    -Sniping is pretty bad, shots to the upper torso should be a kill, I remember using the semi-auto and having to shoot a guy five or six times. Not impressed.

I don't think it will overtake MW2 as the most played game on Live for more than a short period of time after its release. I'm at the moment considering getting a PS3, and if I do I'll pick this up as there are a number of friends of mine who have the console. Little to no interest in the single player.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By pause422

This definitely won't be a sleeper hit, there will be plenty of people playing this.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rowr
    @Alexander said:
    "-Sniping is pretty bad, shots to the upper torso should be a kill, I remember using the semi-auto and having to shoot a guy five or six times. Not impressed. "
    I think if the sniping was any more powerful in this game than it is it would be unplayable. Due to a lack of any competent mid - long range guns, it feels like the sniper is used alot. More one hit kills would be incredibly frustrating.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rowr said:
    " @Alexander said:
    "-Sniping is pretty bad, shots to the upper torso should be a kill, I remember using the semi-auto and having to shoot a guy five or six times. Not impressed. "
    I think if the sniping was any more powerful in this game than it is it would be unplayable. Due to a lack of any competent mid - long range guns, it feels like the sniper is used alot. More one hit kills would be incredibly frustrating. "
    This.  In a game like BF, if snipers one hit center mass at long range, it would be just goddamn ridiculous.  There would just be a whole shitload of snipers camping your spawn point.  (@Alexander)Also, there's bullet drop.  So if you're aiming at their upper torso or head from 500 feet, it's going to hit below where you aim.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Quacktastic

I agree with the part about it being sort of a perfect storm.   It will probably sell faster than a lot of people are expecting, but yeah it's not a sleeper.
    @Rowr said:

" The controls feel improved over the first, but 50 percent of the time it feels like they arent doing what i want. "

The lower the framerate, the less responsive the controls. This is like 30 while MW is 60, that's the only difference I really notice.
    I think I still like the shooting better here though because of the sounds.
    @Alexander said:
    " Sniping is pretty bad, shots to the upper torso should be a kill, I remember using the semi-auto and having to shoot a guy five or six times. Not impressed. "
    Remember that you only get the first two snipers in the demo.  If they killed with a chest shot then the higher ranked guns would probably be either redundant or overpowered.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Scooper

The way I snipe is to always mark the target first (back button on 360, I guess select on PS3), then if you aim for the centre of the red arrow you're almost always garanteed a 1-hit kill headshot. Try it, it really does work. Makes sniping a whole lot easier.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422
    @Alexander said:
    -Sniping is pretty bad, shots to the upper torso should be a kill, I remember using the semi-auto and having to shoot a guy five or six times. Not impressed

I find the sniping in BC2 to be the most satisfying sniping in any game I have yet to play, because of how there is bullet drop in long ranges and you have to actually compensate your shots because of it. Also, you are exaggerating hugely. you don't have to shoot anyone 5 or 6 times with that sniper. Sniping is far different in this game to others, so most likely you thought you were hitting them in the same spot and weren't. 1 Headshot, or 2-3 torso shots max depending on the location of where you hit them will kill someone with that sniper. Its fair entirely, since it has a very fast firerate. Also, there will be a hardcore mode for more bullet damage, so you could always just stick with that if you still feel that way about it.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alexander
    @Rowr: I realise it's a balancing issue but I'd rather have ridiculous shake, the need to hold breath and the effects of nearby explosions and bullets having a greater impact on accuracy. I'd take that over a sniper rifle that feels like a pea shooter. As it is the "ghillie" outfits make you look like a porcupine and stick out like a sore thumb against anything other than foliage.

@Quacktastic: most games on the consoles run at 30fps, and the controls for a lot of shooters manage to be better designed than what you seem to be getting in BC2.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Sleeper hit?! It's a Battlefield game! How on earth does that class as a sleeper?!

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Alexander
    @pause422: I was using the semi-auto, over a long range it took no less than five shots to kill a guy. Perhaps I'm mistaken and I hit someone else also, but generally speaking there were a number of times when I got a bit flustered at having to shoot someone more than once in the upper body to kill them. Another time, I was on a hill sniping - getting a bunch of assists because the sniper next to me was cleaning up after I put a bullet to someone.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Scooper
    @Alexander said:
    " @pause422: I was using the semi-auto, over a long range it took no less than five shots to kill a guy. Perhaps I'm mistaken and I hit someone else also, but generally speaking there were a number of times when I got a bit flustered at having to shoot someone more than once in the upper body to kill them. Another time, I was on a hill sniping - getting a bunch of assists because the sniper next to me was cleaning up after I put a bullet to someone. "
    Sometimes medics will drop a healthpack at some sniper locations which makes the snipers much harder to kill and you pretty much have to get a headshot to take them out before they heal.

Also, I wish I could change the title in this thread. I meant it was a sleeper hit for me as I'd not seen anything about it and was ready to pass right by it without even careing. Oh well. If people want to just chime in with my aparent miss use of the term without actualy saying anything else then whatever.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pause422

@Alexander Dude I feel like you're problems with it(just saying btw, no need to think I'm calling you out or insulting you) are that this games sniping isn't like Call of Duty, and you're using that as a criticism.  If thats the case, there really isn't anything anyone can say or do for you. I myself, find this to be the most satisfying sniper in a game in recent history, mainly a MP game. Compensating for bullet drop and long range shots, pulling off marksman headshots from distances that are a longer range than entire maps in modern warfare, is really satisfying.  I find that hold your breathe garbage entirely gimmicky, and sniping in those games so easy I don't find it satisfying at all, just boring.

As far as taking more than 1 body shot, use the bolt action rifle then I would say, its far better to me anyway, since it actually has good power behind it and pulling off 1 shot kills is rather much easier than the Type 88. That gun though, you have to understand has a good amount of rounds and is very accurate even when someone were to spam it, so if it was just a single body shot kill it would entirely make the bolt action rifles useless and void to use.

@Scooper I meant nothing negative towards you with my apparent"miss use" of the term, but as you stated,  it seems thats what you were referring to, and many people will assume the same thing.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dogma

Right now I believe that Darksiders is the sleeper hit of the year. Nobody really understood how good it was until the game came out. Bad Company 2 though have seem quite solid for a long time. The only thing we want to know is HOW good it will be. A sleepet hit? No.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By natetodamax

The sniping is god awful in this game, but everything else is pretty much awesome. I'll be buying this game because the multiplayer is totally nuts; every game is guaranteed to have at least 1 insane moment that makes you go "OMGWTF"

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I normally hate playing online FPS's but playing the demo yesterday got me interested, I guess I'll way for reviews

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scooper
    @pause422: Yeah I know. You at least put some good conversation into the mix too, thanks for that.
    kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kilzombie

I really liked the first one, and one time I let my friend borrow it, and he never gave it back. (NEVER let your friends borrow your games!) so I've been itching to play bad company for a while. I really enjoyed the demo, so I'm definitely picking this up, probably along with GoW 3.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox

I don't think it'll steal the same crowd from MW that MW stole from Halo. But I do think it will do better than people expect compared to the first Bad Company.

edit: Also from what I read, the PS3 and 360 aiming controls feel pretty different. I do know that I think the 360's aiming curve for this game is poorly implemented compared to how it is in MW2. If you happen to have both consoles, give the demo on the other platform a try and see how it feels.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By Seppli

It definitly will outsell it's predecessor, which sold about 2 million copies at fullprice. Must have sold quite some more, since it has been released on PSN and XBL. BF is a huge franchise on PC and it's the first BF game in 3 years for the PC crowd, outside of BF Heroes. Will certainly sell very well there too. Since I'm a fan and believe the BF:BC is one of the most underappreciated games ever (multiplayer wise), I'm hoping BF:BC 2 will be a breakout success. I'd really love to see it sell around 10 million units.

I too believe BF:BC 2 hits a pretty good release window. DICE might just pull it off. Gameplay-wise - I'm already more than satisfied. The Beta and Demo are tight!

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By immike

I found out I liked the game far more than any other shooters I had, so it's not really a sleeper for me anymore. I do plan on getting it day 1 too. It's pretty exciting looking at the weapon unlocks and knowing you can't unlock them until the full game. I really wanna get the game just for those unlocks.

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By adziboy
    @Seppli said:
    "It definitly will outsell it's predecessor, which sold about 2 million copies at fullprice. Must have sold quite some more, since it has been released on PSN and XBL. BF is a huge franchise on PC and it's the first BF game in 3 years for the PC crowd, outside of BF Heroes. Will certainly sell very well there too. Since I'm a fan and believe the BF:BC is one of the most underappreciated games ever (multiplayer wise), I'm hoping BF:BC 2 will be a breakout success. I'd really love to see it sell around 10 million units.  I too believe BF:BC 2 hits a pretty good release window. DICE might just pull it off. Gameplay-wise - I'm already more than satisfied. The Beta and Demo are tight! "

You literally stole what I would've written.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Garrus

Sleeper? Maybe in comparison to MW2 yeah but either way this game I hope won't involve so much COD Kiddies going to check out this game. Maybe by being silenced by the shadow of MW2's insane waste of advertising (people would buy the game anyway), maybe it'll be doing us a favour as all the kids will stick with MW2.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho

It'll be a proper hit.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By meteora

It won't be a sleeper's hit. A sleeper's hit is when a game is very sucessful but doesn't receive much attention or publicity, despire good professional and peer reviews.

I think what you're looking for is "commericial disappointment" or something along those lines. It will sell well since it is a Battlefield game, but not as nearly as much as the developers would have wished (especially considering that a few of their messages indicate that they are going to take on the beast MW2).

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By poser

I bet it sells 1 million in the first 2 weeks. it doesn't have the marketing behind it that CoD did, but the hardcore FPS community is loving the beta.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Marz

Don't see it as a sleeper when it's being hyped as the best shooter of the year.  It has a potential of being one of the best games of the year but we'll have to see how the other game modes pan out and how the single player story fleshes out the game.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Bouke

I don't think Bad Company 2 can be considered a sleeper hit, because many people played the first game and are excited for the sequal. But i guess the game can be a suprise to people who haven't played the original.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sodiumCyclops

hmmm it may be considered a sleeper hit but, it's way too early to tell. There are so many more games coming this year that judging a game that's coming out at the start of the year is a bad idea.

kgould01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By kgould01

well mw2 was the first call of duty game i bought and disliked but i love the bad company 2 demo. im hooked.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jkz

Sleeper?...No, not at all. 

Never mind, saw your post about it being a sleeper for you. I love Battlefield games, and I've put an inordinate amount of time into the beta/demo, so I'm sure I'll love the game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jimbo

Actually, yes, I could see it acting like a sleeper hit to some extent.  I mean, obviously it's already anticipated amongst us lot - but there's that whole other audience much larger than us that makes the difference between ~2 million sales and 5+ million.  If it turns out as good as it looks, I think there's a real chance word-of-mouth could bridge that gap and keep sales ticking over beyond the initial launch.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By Seppli
    @Alexander: 

Pea-Shooter? Really? The M24 is a freaking beast. Onehit/Kill range is 15 feet. If you are good at no-scoping and pistolwhipping, you are good to go in CQC. Longrange are Onhit/Kill headshots. Twohit/Kill bodyshots. And that's normal mode. Recon is beastly in BF:BC 2. If you are a good shot that is. I am. I kill fools left and right.

I don't recommend using the semi-auto/fullauto sniper rifles. They are a good start to learn how to lead targets and account for bulletdrop, but you're definitly hamstrung by the lower damage and the high recoil. Opposed to BF:BC 1, the semi-autos are only beastly in the hands of very accurate and coldblooded players. Will most likely be a good choice for realism mode. In normal mode, I'm sticking with boltaction sniper rifles.

Personally, I find sniping in BF:BC 2 to be the most satisfying in any game I've ever played. It has the huge distances necessary for demanding marksmanship. It has bulletdrop and traveltime. It has good camouflage. Wasn't a good sniper back when I started playing Battlefield. I am now. I frequently top the leaderboard playing recon. Often with triple the points of the next best players. Being a good recon player is all about having balls of steel and being cold blooded. Noscoping, pistolwhipping, C4'ing vehicles, taking that splitsecond to line up the headshot instead of unloading prematurely, going for knifekills when uncovering dudes with the motion sensors, taking the time to set up traps and so forth.

It's definitly a matter of skill. The more skill you have, the more lethal you'll become. The recon class being extremely lethal and very useful.
    stinky51012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By stinky51012
    @sopranosfan said:
    "I don't know if you could classify it as a sleeper.  Honestly in my opinion I could see it ending up being more of a disappointment than a true sleeper simply because the gaming community is pretty excited about it but the general community not buying it because they are happy with MW2.  Plus you have to look at all the other games coming out that could take away sales from it.  I think it will sell well probably somewhere in the 2-4 million range this year.  Watch out Pachter I am coming for your job. "

Obviously doesnt know what "sleeper" means. brbrbrbrbrb
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bionicicide

The Bf:BC2 boyscouts annoy me more than the CoD:MW2 humpers.

Just playing Bf:BC2 demo till CoD:MW2 gets its patch for X360. I detest the shaking, only should happen with explosions fired by the enemies hitting nearby you and that map layout is horrible; you never give defenders a transport helicopter (Blackhawk). They really nerfed the vehicles by taking out the cool-down timers.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AuthenticM

This is Battlefield. It's expected to sell.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Scooper

It's not sleeper for you but it's sleeper for the general gaming consumer. It's garanteed to do well but Jimbo hit the nail on the head with what I think and didn't say very well.

@Jimbo said:

" Actually, yes, I could see it acting like a sleeper hit to some extent.  I mean, obviously it's already anticipated amongst us lot - but there's that whole other audience much larger than us that makes the difference between ~2 million sales and 5+ million.  If it turns out as good as it looks, I think there's a real chance word-of-mouth could bridge that gap and keep sales ticking over beyond the initial launch. "
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#49  Edited By citizenkane

I don't think it counts as a sleeper.  It's a sequel to a successful, well-received game.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By sopranosfan
    @Stinky51012 said:

" @sopranosfan said:

"I don't know if you could classify it as a sleeper.  Honestly in my opinion I could see it ending up being more of a disappointment than a true sleeper simply because the gaming community is pretty excited about it but the general community not buying it because they are happy with MW2.  Plus you have to look at all the other games coming out that could take away sales from it.  I think it will sell well probably somewhere in the 2-4 million range this year.  Watch out Pachter I am coming for your job. "
    Obviously doesnt know what "sleeper" means. brbrbrbrbrb "
    Obviously I do know what a sleeper is.  A sleeper is a game that nobody sees doing well that does well.  Hence this game cannot be classified as a sleeper because it has been hyped, had a successful beta, is part of a successful franchise, and people know it is coming and expect it to do well.  I was simply stating that there are elements that "could" cause it to not sell as well as expected.  I however expect it to meet expectations(not much above) and sell what a good shooter sells.   So before you start insulting people on an internet forum make sure you have the facts and a good reason to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.