Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beat Hazard

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 15, 2011

Beat Hazard is a twin-stick shooter by a one-man development team. The beat of the music controls your shots, while the song itself supplies the layout of the level.

Beat Hazard: First impressions

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Edited By recroulette

Due to this quest system, I was encouraged to dust off my steam account and take a look around. I saw this game called Beat Hazard for $7.49. Seeing as it used your music in the game (Like Audiosurf), I decided to give it a shot, I mean hey, 7.49 isn't too bad, and this looks promising compared to XS Jr. League Dodgeball, which was a miserable experience, and I spent 6 bucks on that, so why not? And apparently it used to be a 360 indie game.

It's your typical dual stick shooter, you can use mouse and keyboard or a 360 pad. Having very little experience playing games on PC, it took time getting used to the controls. But once I got a hang of it, it was pretty fun. The visuals are crazy, explosions everywhere asteroids and enemy ships to gun down, power-ups galore. You can increase the Volume of the song to increase your fire rate, and power to do more damage. Bosses in the form of giant gunships will show up randomly as well.

There are 2 modes, normal mode is picking a song and trying to beat it, and survival is just that, how long can you survive?

The level system is cool too, the higher you score, the more experience you get, every level up gets you something, eventually you'll start out with higher volume and power, a higher multiplier, and more. 

The music is an integral part, the faster the song, the more intense the visuals. A faster song will increase your firepower. And you have to watch out for the tempo. Many times in the middle of a boss fight I have gotten screwed over by the song hitting a slow part, turning my fire rate to garbage.  But it's a lot of fun. Review coming soon.

System Requirements

• Processor: 2.0GHz processor
      • Memory: 512+MB of RAM
      • Hard Drive: 40+MB of free hard drive space
      • Graphics: 256MB of video memory
      • Sound: DirectX-compatible sound
      • DirectX®: 9 or later
      • Controller: Xbox 360 controller
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By recroulette

Due to this quest system, I was encouraged to dust off my steam account and take a look around. I saw this game called Beat Hazard for $7.49. Seeing as it used your music in the game (Like Audiosurf), I decided to give it a shot, I mean hey, 7.49 isn't too bad, and this looks promising compared to XS Jr. League Dodgeball, which was a miserable experience, and I spent 6 bucks on that, so why not? And apparently it used to be a 360 indie game.

It's your typical dual stick shooter, you can use mouse and keyboard or a 360 pad. Having very little experience playing games on PC, it took time getting used to the controls. But once I got a hang of it, it was pretty fun. The visuals are crazy, explosions everywhere asteroids and enemy ships to gun down, power-ups galore. You can increase the Volume of the song to increase your fire rate, and power to do more damage. Bosses in the form of giant gunships will show up randomly as well.

There are 2 modes, normal mode is picking a song and trying to beat it, and survival is just that, how long can you survive?

The level system is cool too, the higher you score, the more experience you get, every level up gets you something, eventually you'll start out with higher volume and power, a higher multiplier, and more. 

The music is an integral part, the faster the song, the more intense the visuals. A faster song will increase your firepower. And you have to watch out for the tempo. Many times in the middle of a boss fight I have gotten screwed over by the song hitting a slow part, turning my fire rate to garbage.  But it's a lot of fun. Review coming soon.

System Requirements

• Processor: 2.0GHz processor
      • Memory: 512+MB of RAM
      • Hard Drive: 40+MB of free hard drive space
      • Graphics: 256MB of video memory
      • Sound: DirectX-compatible sound
      • DirectX®: 9 or later
      • Controller: Xbox 360 controller

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.