Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Bionic Commando is the follow-up to the NES classic of the same name. The game revolves around the protagonist's bionic arm used for swinging, and combat.

Disappointed By the Ending? *SPOILERS*

kidkansas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kidkansas

So I sit there, smashed Joe's head in, wondering what kind of boss I will fight, then the credits start to roll, very disappointing. I really didn't think a quicktime event sequence would be the finallthing I see, especially after facing some fun bosses. I would expect to use my swinging or something, but no, button mashing. I do like we learned what happened to Emily, I thought it was a cool plot twist.  Thoughts?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Alright, so now that someone is posting up a thread about the ending:

The ending sequence where you are swinging amongst all the Vultures and tearing them apart to get to Joe was pretty fucking awesome!!!  The final piece where you just headbutt the FUCK out of Super Joe was great, too.  A good emotional moment for Rad.  Personally, I liked the ending...and again, since I was playing my first playthrough on Commando mode, I was inching closer and closer to that point just saying "please be the end, don't make me play any more of this punishing shit!".  lol

The plot twist - it came out of left field.  It really did.  I knew from the scene where Super Joe said something to Emily about "you can do something to help Nathan out" with that menacing look...I mean, I KNEW he was going to kill her.  I didn't suspect that the organic material of the arm would be Emily!!!  That was just a major mindfuck for me, and it has me screaming "SOYLENT GREEN!  SOYLENT GREEN!" so much right now!!!  lol  I loved it, but I wish they had built it up a bit more.  Then again, if they had built it up more, it wouldn't have been as much of a shock.

Also, did you watch AFTER the credits, with the morse code messages?  If not, then you are missing a GREAT setup for a sequel.  Basically, it references Project Albatross, which in the original Bionic Commando game...it was a project to resurrect Hitler, so rumor has it that it's a confirmation of a sequel that will focus on Hitler being the bad guy and you'll be fighting Nazis...which would be fucking AWESOME!!!

The thing is, though...since Nathan fell like he did...and there's the general assumption that he's dead, because of the look in his eyes and the cut to black into the credits...who knows?
    porridgelad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By porridgelad

i was expecting him to open his eyes and grapple onto something then swing into a massive "BIONIC COMMANDO:2 - More Bionic" sign, glad they have left it a bit open ended.

I'm in to minds about the ending i loved the vulture scene but, a little fight as you both fall down to earth which is impossible to fail and you just need to fight until you reach a certain hight at which that end cutscene runs would have been greatly appreciated and given the end of the game a bit more of an impact , just seemed to build up all this tension and excitement then they left it due to needing to ship or tech difficulties , but i like that they didn't feel that they had to end on some soul crushing end boss and just have a fun end sequence that was the only redeemable story element to the game.

loved the rest of the game :D

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MeierTheRed

The final mission was not successful, the morse code that doesn't get translated at the end credits says.

Bestaetige ausffehrung von phase zwei vorberitet, aktiviere projekt albatross.

Witch would be

confirm execution of phase two prepared, activate project albatross

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By makari

I loved it. Such a huge buildup, such a badass thing for Spencer to do to Joe.
    Also, I recommend playing that stage again and purposely failing the sequences when you're fighting the vultures. Some of the death animations are pretty sweet.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Sunjammer

More Bionic Commando plz kthx. I liked the ending, even if it was a little abrupt. And it felt fucking stupid killing Super Joe. I went through all that shit in the original trying to save his ass, now i need to button mash to KILL him?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

I really did not get the point of the second half of the game. I was expecting some kind of The Boss like twist with Super Joe but having him just escape in that angel suit and then get knocked the fuck down by Spencer felt a bit flat. Also, was the sniper ever addressed? He just seemed to turn up, spout cryptic sayings and then bail. To be honest, the thing that annoyed me the most about all that stuff wasn't so much that it was all unexplained but that it was all so obviously not self contained that it may as well have said half way through to look out for Bionic Commando 2 in stores 2010.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By damswedon

so were getting Hitler in bc2?
    also was i the only one who did an exploding head count

ZettaSlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZettaSlow

Yeah, I have no clue what the fuck is up with the sniper guy.

Also: Mag was useless. All she did was get clothes lined and smashed.

Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fei

The ending got way Japanese. I enjoyed the game though.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By dsplayer1010

I was fine with it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @damswedon said:
    " so were getting Hitler in bc2?also was i the only one who did an exploding head count "
    Well, given the history of the Bionic Commando franchise, Project Albatross is the resurrection of Hitler and the re-rising of the Third Reich.  Therefore, if there is a sequel, then that seems like it would be the option they go for.

@HandsomeDead said:
    " I really did not get the point of the second half of the game. I was expecting some kind of The Boss like twist with Super Joe but having him just escape in that angel suit and then get knocked the fuck down by Spencer felt a bit flat. Also, was the sniper ever addressed? He just seemed to turn up, spout cryptic sayings and then bail. To be honest, the thing that annoyed me the most about all that stuff wasn't so much that it was all unexplained but that it was all so obviously not self contained that it may as well have said half way through to look out for Bionic Commando 2 in stores 2010. "
    The sniper was the dood you ended up meeting up with before going onto the big-ass spider/scarab/whatever thingie monstrosity.  He was the leader of the group that Mag was working with.

The only issue I have with the story is that if Super Joe was trying to keep Bionics going for his own evil deeds...and the sniper dood and Mag apparently knew that Super Joe was evil and trying to do this shit...then why were THEY pro-Bionics...besides the fact that they had Bionics?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.