Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Some LTTP thoughts on difficulty early on

Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Vitamin_Dei

I picked up Bioshock 2 in the recent Steam Summer sale and have been putting a little bit of time into it here and there. I'm coming to this game pretty freshly off of finishing up with the original Bioshock, which I only played for the first time about six months ago. I adored the first game for its atmosphere and storytelling; even if it wasn't the best shooter mechanically speaking, running around Rapture and learning about what had happened and just seeing the sights was an amazing experience that I was really eager to revisit. 

And atmospherically it's great. I have no real complaints about the timeline and the larger NPC characters and their relation to the original game because if I can suspend my disbelief enough to swallow a city under the sea destroyed by politics and genetic manipulation I can handle just about anything... Rapture is great. 2K could sell me comics and direct to video movies and shitty licensed novels written by Kevin J. Anderson and I would probably eat them up. I am part of the problem

But damn, is this game harder or what? I'm supposed to be a Big Daddy, but I feel amazingly fragile prior to my upgrades, and unfortunately the route to upgrades is engaging in combat with Big Daddies and splicers.  Which incidentally leads into me feeling that resources are even more scarce in this game than the previous one. Survival horror scarce... and I'm still kind of chewing on whether that's good or bad. In Bioshock, the choice to harvest or free a little sister really came down to pressing one button to be nice and get some stuff later, or pressing another to benefit right away. I never harvested a single sister in the first game, and while I haven't done so yet in Bioshock 2, I am feeling sorely tempted to just harvest her and save myself the resource drain of getting into the extra combats -- I have enough to worry about with Big Daddies, wandering Splicers and the Big Sister. I assume this is what they intended, but I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. 

Thoughts?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I agree in that you're surprisingly underpowered as a Big Daddy but I never found it much harder than the original, myself. Once you get more of your upgrades and plasmids, though, you will become the meat processing Tank that you'd want to be as a Big Daddy ;)

sammccallum16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sammccallum16

I very rarely let the sister gather ADAM. I just killed her big daddy then took her to the hole in the wall. 

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SpiralStairs

I thought this thread was about a Link to the Past :(

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SlightConfuse

well a you are the first big Daddy(Delta series) you are not like he ones from the first game. the extra adam will come in hany for th e late parts of the game.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fjordson

I'm also extremely LTTP with this. I've been a BioShock fanboy since the first game came out in 2007, but let the internet sway my opinion and never played this 'till now. I'm enjoying it, though. I'm too in love with Rapture and the overall fiction of the franchise to let any narrative shortcomings ruin it for me.

But I do agree that resources seem to be more scarce here when compared to first game. I enjoyed playing through BioShock on hard, and jumped right into this one on the same difficulty, but I'm almost regretting the decision.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HellBrendy

While I will agree that as a Big Daddy you are kind of weak, I won't agree on you that the game is hard. It's just different from BioShock now, and you ave to play it differently. Rember the melee-button!  

And what does "LTTP" stand for? 

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fjordson
    @HellBrendy said:

"And what does "LTTP" stand for?  "

Late to the party.

And yes, that damn melee button, definitely need to use it more. I tend to forget about it
    HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HellBrendy

Ah, thanks! 

I loved the melee-button, and the game would still be better even if it wasn't dual wielding (wich of course made it even better). I am one of those who loved the game because it didn't try to be BioShock but rather it's own game. 

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fjordson
    @HellBrendy said:
    " Ah, thanks!  I loved the melee-button, and the game would still be better even if it wasn't dual wielding (wich of course made it even better). I am one of those who loved the game because it didn't try to be BioShock but rather it's own game.  "
    I do agree that the dual wielding is nice. The combat overall feels more satisfying than the first game's I think. No matter what I used in the first game, whether it be tonics, plasmids, or weapons, it always felt somewhat erratic, for lack of a better term. Sometimes a combo would be super effective, and other times it just didn't seem to work as well.
    ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ztiworoh
    @HellBrendy: Was I the only one who read that as "Some "Link to the Past" thoughts.... "?
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @ztiworoh said:
    " @HellBrendy: Was I the only one who read that as "Some "Link to the Past" thoughts.... "? "
    No, I clicked this topic to find out what "LTTP" means, because it obviously has nothing to do with Zelda if it's in the Bioshock 2 forum... =/ 

PS: I still don't know what "LTTP" means in this context <.<
    HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HellBrendy
    @Fjordson:   Yeah, the whole plasmid-thing ddn't play out well, and I find games like TimeShift or The Darkness to pull off the extra power in an FPS much better than BioShock. 

@JoeyRavn: No, I don't really have any relationships to the Zelda-games so I didn't make that connection. 

@ztiworoh:  I asked, I and got an answer: LTTP: Late to the party :)
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By JoeyRavn

Oh, so that's the meaning... Well, it's still "[something] to the [other something]" :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.