Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Anyone playing this on PS3

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

<p>I usually wait for digital foundry to do their comparison thing, but I really want to play this game. Anyone playing this on PS3 right now? How is the performance? I know the game runs UE 3, so that's why I'm a little nervous about it on PS3</p>

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By uniform

Following the NeoGAF thread for the game, all signs point to the PS3 being slightly better. Screen tearing being the major negative for the PS3, yet slightly better than the 360 in other aspects.

"360: Barely tears, drops frames with v-sync locked. More aggressive AA(some objects are blurry).

PS3: Tears occasionally with v-sync locked, doesn't seem to drop frames like the 360. Slightly more crisp in a side-by-side (different AA?)."

360 also seems to have some strange gamma output resulting in the game looking too dark. That said, I think the PS3 looks a touch too bright. I'd honestly take visual comparisons with a grain of salt until sites like Digital Foundry start comparing.

Bottom line, this is not BS1 on PS3 all over again. Don't fear purchasing it on the PS3 if that's your concern.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By realph

I'm interested to see how they supported the Move. Something about holding the Move controller upright whilst popping off shots on a Sky-Line sounds awesome.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@realph: It isn't. Stick to to a controller.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By jimmyfenix

im on the ps3 and it looks great ! haven't had a single frame drop

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

If I had to play on a console, I'd still pick the one with frame drops over screen tearing.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It's playing great for me, the only thing I've really noticed is that those little mobile shops with the ads on them, and some of the signage throughout the Fairgrounds really, are very blurry up close. They look fine far away but lose a lot of fidelity up close, sort of like what it looks like when you play a game without hi-res texture packs installed?

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HerbieBug

Playing on 360 and no problems. Some tearing when I turned v-sync lock off just to see what difference it made, problem solved when turned back on.

This game... maaaan. It sort of reminds me of my experience with Chrono Cross, being amazed that they somehow figured a way to make it run on current gen hardware. I'm still baffled how parts of Chrono Cross run at all on the PS1.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uniform

Going from playing a few hours on PC to PS3 has been painful. I started my PS3 copy and besides the expected graphical downgrade, I noticed how bad the FoV is on the console. It's apparent at the beginning during Booker's baptism sequence. I checked my TV settings to make sure it wasn't zoomed in it was so bad.

Following that, the next thing to really jump out at me on the PS3 is they seem to have the bloom jacked to the maximum possible level, making some things look bright white, while others give off an ugly yellow tint. I notice in videos the 360 doesn't suffer this problem and is way better off for it. The bloom in outdoor areas is really bad, making just about everything difficult to see. Enemies at a distant are a chore with the blinding bloom as you basically see white. This is not something that can be remedied with brightness settings, or settings on your television.

Performance has been really good. 3 hours with no FPS issues and noticing only a couple instances of the screen tearing that seem to be a common complaint. Again, this bloom issue is a terrible negative, and I'm surprised it's not brought up more often when the two console versions are compared. I'm second guessing my choice of console. The 360 negatives seem like a decent tradeoff for the blinding PS3 copy.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamespot has a comparison video.

I've been playing on PS3/360 for awhile now and just got a new PC... first time back to PC in like 8 years. First thing I notice and from what I can see in that comparison video is the draw distance. It really makes the games look so much better. Sleeping Dogs especially looked like crap on PS3 but amazing on PC because of this.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS3 is all I own so YES

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

I caved and got it on PS3 no less. Looks great although might just be me or my dualshock but the aiming doesn't seem as fluid as I'd like. Also, I turned the V-sync off. Screen tearing even with it off is not unbearable which I'd gladly trade for a better frame rate.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I caved and got it on PS3 no less. Looks great although might just be me or my dualshock but the aiming doesn't seem as fluid as I'd like. Also, I turned the V-sync off. Screen tearing even with it off is not unbearable which I'd gladly trade for a better frame rate.

I find the aiming a little wonky on both PC with mouse and controller, the acceleration is a bit off I think.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uniform

Digital Foundry comparison is up. I'm surprised none of my issues were present in the article. It even goes as far as saying dialled back bloom is a consequence of improved shadows on the 360.

Maybe something's wrong with my television/PS3. Maybe I was just so spoiled by PC ultra settings, the console version looked like such utter shit in comparison. Either way, looks like DF gives the nod to the PS3 version, much like they did Tomb Raider.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@uniform said:

Digital Foundry comparison is up. I'm surprised none of my issues were present in the article. It even goes as far as saying dialled back bloom is a consequence. I'm puzzled. Maybe something wrong with my television/PS3, or maybe I was just so spoiled by PC ultra settings, the console version looked like such utter shit in comparison. Either way, looks like DF gives the nod to the PS3 version, much like they did Tomb Raider.

I'd honestly rather be playing the console version because of the horrible stuttering on PC though.

...but I bought it on PC because of a free copy of XCOM.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Yea, I'm not experiencing any of the bloom issues you are. I was actually playing the game pretty dark for the first third or so, though. I'm never sure if I'm supposed to be taking those calibration screens literally or not but this game is DEFINITELY one to not take seriously. Until the Quick Look video I had no idea how detailed the designs on the guns were, mine always appeared mostly black. So I bumped the settings up from "barely visible" by my eyes to the middle and the game's brightness really opened up for me.

I also noticed that when I set the borders of the screen to the borders of my TV, all the HUD elements were being pushed off the screen! I figured I wasn't seeing them because the first part of the game is so quiet, but I was noticing power-ups flying off to the corners but not actually going anywhere and started to find it really odd, so I brought the edges in a little and discovered, woah, there's a HUD! I play on a 50" btw, in case that had/has anything to do with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.