Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

New Polygon article on moral choices

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coakroach

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/17/3886934/bioshock-infinite-will-fix-the-faults-of-its-predecessors-system-of

Posting this because a certain paragraph caught my attention

In a recent demo of the game, Polygon was shown how this system has evolved. Upon entering the city, protagonist Booker DeWitt wins a raffle, giving him the opportunity to throw a baseball at an interracial couple. The focus on ethics and morality becomes part of the narrative more than a function of the gameplay or a way of regularly gaining items.

I feel like the more I read this the more absurd it seems, why would anyone throw the baseball other than to be a dick on purpose?

Kinda worried that now this game will have the same be Jesus or be Hitler morality of the original Bioshock, instead of a more meaningful exploration of moral grey areas seen recently in The Walking Dead.

Thoughts?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

That sounds like a dumb game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

@coakroach: I think what they are meaning is that the "moral choices" are just going to be something you do via game play it they aren't going to be moments that are held up on a pedestal to show you that you are actively making a choice. Your choices in how you react to the world will instead shape what happens. Or.... that is at least how I interpret what they are doing.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

Raceball?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @coakroach said:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/17/3886934/bioshock-infinite-will-fix-the-faults-of-its-predecessors-system-of

Posting this because a certain paragraph caught my attention

In a recent demo of the game, Polygon was shown how this system has evolved. Upon entering the city, protagonist Booker DeWitt wins a raffle, giving him the opportunity to throw a baseball at an interracial couple. The focus on ethics and morality becomes part of the narrative more than a function of the gameplay or a way of regularly gaining items.

I feel like the more I read this the more absurd it seems, why would anyone throw the baseball other than to be a dick on purpose?

Kinda worried that now this game will have the same be Jesus or be Hitler morality of the original Bioshock, instead of a more meaningful exploration of moral grey areas seen in recently in The Walking Dead.

Thoughts?

The point of the city is to keep out the "Invaders" Its a super group of people who hate ones who are different. So In the context it makes full sense. 
    DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DizzyMedal

Are we throwing the baseball simply because they're interracial? Because I'm quite happy throwing a baseball at a non-interracial couple as well. Enjoying being a massive dick in games is not the same as racism, dear Bioshock.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By wrighteous86

I also think it's just the IMAGE of an interracial couple, otherwise that's a bit too extreme (read: cheesy), especially early on in the game.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Dark

Am I the only one who is getting less interested in BS:I the more I hear about it and the longer it takes to come out?

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kerned

@Dark: You are definitely not the only one.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NathanStack

Can I throw the ball and miss?

Can I walk up to the interracial couple and punch each one of them in the face?

Can I pull out a gun and shoot the couple after winning?

Can I turn around and shove the ball down the throat of one of the racist people?

Can I pass the ball to someone else and let them do it instead?

Can I pretend to throw the ball but then drop it and walk away and leave everyone dumbfounded?

Can I say "Fuck you and your dumb racist raffle, let's play an actual game of baseball" instead?

If the game lets me choose from those kinds of options I'd be impressed with their implementation of "choices", but until then they're simplistic visual novel decisions with pretty HD graphics to give the illusion of something new and immersive.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vitor

@Ravenlight said:

Raceball?

I lol'd. Does that make me a bad person?

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bwheeeler

THIS ONE EXAMPLE, MAN, LIKE, I DON'T KNOW, I AM PRETTY SKEPTICAL ABOUT THIS GAME NOW, I DON'T THINK IT'LL LIVE UP TO THE HYPE

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Wrighteous86 said:

I also think it's just the IMAGE of an interracial couple, otherwise that's a bit too extreme (read: cheesy), especially early on in the game.

No i'm pretty sure it's a real couple from what I've heard they'll help you later on if you don't treat them like crap. It does sound like it could be cheesy but it all depends on the atmosphere and set up that surrounds it. I'm not gonna start worrying because of one example in an entire game. That's crazy talk.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Lukeweizer

You're worried about Bioshock's limited moral choices? Isn't every game just be a good guy or a bad guy?

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coakroach

@Lukeweizer: Most are, but choosing factions in Fallout: New Vegas or some of the choices offered in a game like Tactics Ogre: LUCT explore morality as a more relative thing that I personally find to be more interesting.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about Bioshock Infinite, and this might just be poor framing of an example by Polygon, but I'd love for it to deliver on the player choice front in a way that's more mature than kick puppy/dont kick puppy.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nonused

Is the implication that you'll be chased by the mob if you don't abide by their wishes, resulting in a more difficult piece of game play? Do they smile and let you go if you listen to them? I can't see the developers setting up an, "Hey, you can be the good guy or a racist asshole!" choice. That's simplistic in a way that doesn't jibe with the implication of racism, and no one would be stupid enough to implement it. Right?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By wrighteous86

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

No i'm pretty sure it's a real couple from what I've heard they'll help you later on if you don't treat them like crap. It does sound like it could be cheesy but it all depends on the atmosphere and set up that surrounds it. I'm not gonna start worrying because of one example in an entire game. That's crazy talk.

Hey, I'll give Ken Levine the benefit of the doubt. I was just saying, having the player get the option of throwing a baseball at an actual interracial couple early on throws you headfirst into the extremes of Columbia instead of easing you into it (something the original Bioshock did pretty well). It sounds cheesy, but like you, I'll have to see it in context. I'm not one of those internet assholes that comes up with an opinion on a game as a whole because of one out-of-context example. Just giving my thoughts on this specific one.

If they help you later on though, it kind of defeats the message of that Polygon article. You're making moral decisions based on rewards, they're just less up front about it.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

So you think Brad will give this game 5 stars too?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Wrighteous86 said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

Hey, I'll give Ken Levine the benefit of the doubt. I was just saying, having the player get the option of throwing a baseball at an actual interracial couple early on throws you headfirst into the extremes of Columbia instead of easing you into it (something the original Bioshock did pretty well). It sounds cheesy, but like you, I'll have to see it in context. I'm not one of those internet assholes that comes up with an opinion on a game as a whole because of one out-of-context example. Just giving my thoughts on this specific one.

If they help you later on though, it kind of defeats the message of that Polygon article. You're making moral decisions based on rewards, they're just less up front about it.

Yeah for sure, the crazy talk comment wasn't directed at you, more in general. Yeah hopefully it's not too much of a 'do this, get this' system. I don't mind putting up with a certain amount of that, it's still a video game but it's when you can clearly see the rewards from each choice that it takes you out of the game. I've got a lot of faith in those guys though (admittedly bordering on fanboyish levels) so it would take a lot for me to worry about Infinite.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.