Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

To anyone playing in 1999 mode, does it get much harder?

petedee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whilst I really enjoyed the original BioShock, one of my main problems with it was that death never felt like much of a hindrance so when I started my first game last night and after hearing about 1999 mode, I thought it sounded like a more difficult option that could prove a real challenge.

Which it is, I'm dieing on practically every fight and I'm having to scavenge EVERYTHING to progress any further, I am pretty seasoned at FPS but this is getting to be a bit much.

I was wondering if anyone else who has played alot of the game in 1999 mode could tell me how much harder it gets? Am I better biting the bullet and going back to Hard mode for a first run through?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petedee said:

Whilst I really enjoyed the original BioShock, one of my main problems with it was that death never felt like much of a hindrance so when I started my first game last night and after hearing about 1999 mode, I thought it sounded like a more difficult option that could prove a real challenge.

Which it is, I'm dieing on practically every fight and I'm having to scavenge EVERYTHING to progress any further, I am pretty seasoned at FPS but this is getting to be a bit much.

I was wondering if anyone else who has played alot of the game in 1999 mode could tell me how much harder it gets? Am I better biting the bullet and going back to Hard mode for a first run through?

Hmm that sounds hard. I was actually thinking of starting today on 1999 without playing it before on hard just because I heard hard is still very very easy because elisabeth is giving you stuff all the time.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

@petedee: I've heard that 1999 mode is just that hard. To get full enjoyment out of the story and setting, I'd say do your run on Hard instead. 1999 mode is kind of a second playthrough sort of thing.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

guess I will go with hard the, Thx for the advise guys.

Also does the 1999 mode only make things harder or does it do what they promised which was changing the gameplay to a more old school way?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TruthTellah

@darji: It does seem to change how you'd have to play to survive.

Here are some highlights: There are less respawn points, less ammo, any weapon and vigor upgrades specializations are permanent, enemies hurt you a lot more, you have less life and faster depleting life, and the cost for dying is a lot higher.

So, in effect, it goes from more of a run and gun kind of game where ammo isn't too hard to find to a game where you have to really avoid getting hit, scrounge for ammo, and just generally struggle more to get through it.

Initially, Hard is the highest difficulty until you beat the game, but you can unlock it using a key combination if you want to do it your first time out. Though, they recommend Hard if you're experienced with FPS games, then 1999 afterward.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: It does seem to change how you'd have to play to survive.

Here are some highlights: There are less respawn points, less ammo, any weapon and vigor upgrades specializations are permanent, enemies hurt you a lot more, you have less life and faster depleting life, and the cost for dying is a lot higher.

So, in effect, it goes from more of a run and gun kind of game where ammo isn't too hard to find to a game where you have to really avoid getting hit, scrounge for ammo, and just generally struggle more to get through it.

Initially, Hard is the highest difficulty until you beat the game, but you can unlock it using a key combination if you want to do it your first time out. Though, they recommend Hard if you're experienced with FPS games, then 1999 afterward.

Yeah I unlocked it with the code already but I had no time to play it yet. I will do so today. But when I first heard of this mode I thought it will change the game with new features etc. Guess I or the description back than was wrong...So I think I will go with hard for my first time.

Thanks again^^

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Yeah, I don't think it has any new features(I hadn't heard that it would); it's just a different balancing of the game's systems to make it more like a difficult old shooter. You do have to play differently to make it work. Hard is the recommended though, and I'd say you're probably safe with that. :)

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1999 mode sounds like old skool fps. Creeping forward with 15 health and hitting F5 everytime you clear a room without dying.

It's gonna be fun for a second playthrough, but its not the way to play the game for the first time.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@winternet: I think the guys over at the PA Report played on Easy. They wrote about how they did that so that they could just focus on the story and atmosphere. Though, it seems like the default Medium setting is probably people's best bet unless they're quite familiar with FPS's and instead want to try Hard.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By realph

I think I'm going to go for the 1000G. It will be worth it if I'm able to conquer 1999 Mode. Returning to games from the PS2-era are hard enough. This is going to be a feat.

Forderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Forderz

Playing on 1999 as a first run, and the Handyman is fucking destroying me.

heading into hour two of attempts...

Really wish I had weapons other than a hand cannon and a sniper...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.