Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Rom, the Vacuous Spider (Spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enragedstump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all. I recently got to Byrgenwerth, and encountered the asshat that is Rom. I have faced him five times now, and i can't seem to figure out a strategy other than "slowly kill spiders, go for Rom once all dead." The problem I'm having is once i hit the 2nd phase, the ice meteors and the spiders become too much to handle. Anyone know any tips for this? Pretty frustrating fight

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a pretty long thread in the Bloodborne board full of strategies. The only thing I can say is if you're getting wrecked by the meteors, watch your spacing since it uses that when you're a certain distance away. Consider unlocking your camera so you can see them coming.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hey all. I recently got to Byrgenwerth, and encountered the asshat that is Rom. I have faced him five times now, and i can't seem to figure out a strategy other than "slowly kill spiders, go for Rom once all dead." The problem I'm having is once i hit the 2nd phase, the ice meteors and the spiders become too much to handle. Anyone know any tips for this? Pretty frustrating fight

After he disappears the first time, he'll start summoning those ice meteors. The distance you are from him will determine the type and direction of them. If you're close, he'll usually use them coming out of the ground, which is relatively easy to dodge (i.e. just back up). If you're pretty far away he'll summon them from the sky which is a much bigger pain to deal with. Stick close enough to bait him into the doing his close range attacks and immediately counterattack once he finishes. Keep the smaller spiders in check while doing so or they'll become a nuisance.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

succeeded on my second go, I just completely ignored the small spiders and went full force against the main one. AS for the meteors just mash dodge.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The meteors were the annoying part of this fight for me too. It may help to unlock the camera and just start rolling in a direction. I'm in the kill all the spiders then attack Rom camp and the Tonitrus seemed to take out the spiders nicely then I switched to the axe for Rom. Keep swinging even as he disappears you can get more hits in than you may think.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

First phase, take out the little spiders to prevent an even larger swarm later. Each should be a hit or two from the side.

When the meteor stuff starts, just be patient. Run in, take a swipe or two, run out. If he starts the meteor animation, just book the hell out of there and roll. Camera unlocked through the whole thing.

I thought the fight sucked hard, but it just requires taking your time.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZolRoyce

I'm with @csl316 on this, kill the first hoard of spiders while Rom is no threat to you, their heads will block your attacks a lot but their soft gooey butts are their downfall.

When it came to Rom actually being a threat with it's meteor ice stuff I was in an almost constant run, where I would go in, attack 2 or 3 times then run out, run around, go back. There is a certain pattern you can find where you'll almost never get hit by Rom or the little guys, their devastating attacks have such a long build up that you can get the good few hits in without much worry and if you are constantly on the move then Rom has a hard time hitting you.

I also never used Lock on for the entire fight, too much of a hindrance I felt, just get at them butts.

Edit: Also if you don't know, you can keep hitting Rom when it goes into it's transport/vanish animation, so keep wailing on it even as it goes invisible.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zolroyce pretty much has it. This is the ultimate stick and move fight. Lock on is your enemy here because you need to know the configuration of the small spiders.

When I beat Rom, I wiped out the first wave of spiders while she was passive, and then immediately booked it to the location of her teleport. One of the most crucial aspects of this fight is ensuring you're in control of what attacks Rom uses. If you're far away, Rom will spam the meteors from above and that's a dangerous game to be playing. You want to bait the tantrum/ground explosion/AOE blast by weaving inbetween the spiders, and sticking Rom once or twice with your weapon. The worst thing the spiders can do to you is the jump attack, so ensure that if you have to heal you're rolling right after as spiders are most likely divebombing you. I ignored attacking the spiders after the first teleport, but if the weaving is untenable for you you can try attacking them. Just make sure you're still able to bait Rom effectively, and that you attack their butts as their faces are armored. Arcane resistant armor is very useful to make sure nothing oneshots you, and if you like you can use paper to exploit Rom's slight weakness to fire and bolt. Tonitrous may be a good weapon choice.

The meteors are kind of bullshit, but you're actually pretty in control of the fight and how Rom behaves. You have the power!

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm horrible at dodging so I ended up summoning someone for this and with two people sticking on him it can be a pretty quick fight. I know this isn't a huge help but that thread linked above has got all you need if you want to go solo; seriously, try summoning someone if you haven't.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@someguyjohnson: I help people with this fight constantly and I honestly can feel their relief transmitting over the Internet to me after she dies. I managed the fight solo but it was my last attempt before I summoned. If Rom is going to be dropping meteors on your head from offscreen, flailing around, and swarming you with hoards of spiders, you should be able to summon a friend or two!

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Spiders die in one hit from behind, when you are doing a run on rom take out a few.

Wipe out first wave of spiders since he doesn't do meteors yet.

To avoid meteors stay like 10-20 feet from him, he will turn on his back and do a ground move that is MUCH easier to dodge than the meteors. Just keep doing that and you'll win in no time. Don't run too far after an attack on him, and take out spiders when you can.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found that equipping the school armour led me to not die from one hit by the meteors and that a majority of the time if you stand still as he begins to launch his meteors they actually just end up missing you

DeepWoodsOff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found that you can pretty reliably dodge all of the ranged meteors by just dashing left and right alternately

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Don't kill any spiders, just hit Rom. Pay attention to the patterns and dodge when necessary. In fact, I beat this guy without knowing his patterns at all. Just go in, hit him twice and then dodge automatically. Repeat until he is dead.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

I alternated between killing some spiders to thin out the herd and just running in to attack. I also experimented with looking straight up at the meteors to dodge better and that yielded mixed results.

EDIT: in the beginning I'm just experimenting with different ways to maybe make the fight easier but nope, there is only the one way to approach it.

Loading Video...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#16 sweep  Moderator
    @redyoshi said:

There's a pretty long thread in the Bloodborne board full of strategies.

Yep, let's keep all discussion on this topic in a single thread please.

@enragedstump: be sure to check the board for the game you're writing about to avoid making duplicate threads :)

Thanks everyone. x

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.