Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Anyone keep getting forced to install a .NET redistributable? PC

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jams

When the game unlocked last night it asked to install a .NET redistributable or something but I guess I already had it maybe? Anyways, it'd install it then ask for a restart. Once I restarted and tried to play the game again, it'd go through the motions again of installing the .NET file. This kept happening about 4 times in a row. Then I decided to just run the game without restarting and that worked.

I was wondering if anyone else ran into this?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

@Jams: I've had that happen with games before. Next time it asks you to install it just click "no" and if its anything like the problem I had with witcher 2 It will run.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Lukeweizer

This was happenign to me last night, lots of posts about it in the "Steam Pre-Load is up" thread. It'll just keep asking you to do it. Did you choose to repair .NET or do a fresh install? I chose to repair and my techy friend told me I chose poorly. Anyone know how to uninstall .NET Framework so it can do a fresh install? Is it the "Microsoft C++ 2010 x86" thing in Add/Remove programs?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

@Lukeweizer:

This thread might help you out. Download the .NET cleanup tool and run that, then locate whichever framework version you need to install and slap that back on.

DISCLAIMER: Messing with .NET installs can be a pain in the ass, it might be a good idea to set up a system restore point before poking around.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kishinfoulux

This is really frustrating. No reason we should all be having this issue. Now the game won't even start up so I'm reinstalling it AGAIN.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jozzy

Yup, very annoying. Clicked the repair option too, seemed the safest to me at the time.

I also got a message this morning which was awesomely weird: "You have unsaved settings. Do you want to save them? [Yes] [No]". If they were unsaved, how did you remember I did them dumb game?

Game is awesome though!

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sanity

Ok, found a fix for this, worked for me anyways, find your borderlnds 2 folder inside the steam folder and go to the folder properties. Disable the read only attribute and apply it. That worked for me anyways,

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jams

I'll have to try some of these fixes when I get off work, thanks.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Cataphract1014

Last night I did the whole repair thing and when it asked me to restart I clicked I would do it later and got into the game fine. Today it tried to install again and I hit cancel and it hasn't asked since.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

Simplest solution is to just let it restart once. Then the second time around just select restart later.

Fucking around with .NET installs, fixes, wipers etc is a dangerous game that can completely irreversibly fuck them up and .NET is a core windows component that it will never fully remove couse the bitch depends on it. Worse case scenario your .NET get fucked and you will have to reinstall the entire system to fix it.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kishinfoulux

I just deleted that framework stuff and reinstalled it and it seems to have worked. Whatever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.