Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Just finished Zombie Island of Dr. Ned

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kouerson

It has a fantastic atmosphere and is pretty darn funny, but I polished it off solo in about three and a half hours. I cruised through it with my level 50 soldier and never even got my shield dinged down.  You can really tell Gearbox had fun making this though, with all the little references littered about the world.

Now this may be because I played through it on playthrough 2, and not playthrough 3 since I haven't beaten the game a second time yet. Hopefully playthrough 3 bumps up the difficulty of the DLC.  There is no level cap increase and all the achievements you can get by yourself.

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Kouerson

It also seems that the Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains! mission is either broken or well hidden, as I never got it through my playthrough and I did all the missions.

Smodowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Smodowen

Did you manage to get either of the secret achievements on your run through?

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kouerson

Both of the secret achievements are awarded for completing things along the way of the main story. The only hard achievement is the Braaaaains one which I figured out a half an hour later. 1125/1125'd now.

bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By bluemantra
    @Smodowen said:
    " Did you manage to get either of the secret achievements on your run through? "
    You jacked my avatar man....
    Leviticus128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Leviticus128

I didnt think that there was a playthrough 3

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By jeff
    @leviticus128: There's no proper playthrough 3, but beating the game a second time relevels playthrough 2 and rescales all the enemies to around level 50 or 51.
    Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kouerson

Ah, I thought it just threw up playthrough 3 proper.

I highly suggest not running this with a level 50 if you want any challenge.

Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By CarolinaFan3515

I'm kinda bummed that there is now raised level cap.  I quite playing as soon as I hit 50 cause I thought there would be a chance it would come with this DLC pack.  How is the loot in the expansion?

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kouerson

Since the level cap isn't raised, the loot is much of the same. The only two differences is that sometimes it comes on top of a hulking enemy's back and other times it's vomited up by a delightful man. Also, there is a new vending machine that you open up later in the story. I didn't see anything too special in it.

Keep in mind I'm still using a level 20 purple SMG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Damn this isn't out on PSN yet, atleast in North America : (

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kouerson

It went up at about 2AM PST, or at least that's when I saw it on the live marketplace. I decided I would till it's soil until it gave up all it's earthly achievements to me.

Though a tip for everyone, hit the bottom left of Hollow's End as soon as possible.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By mordukai

While I enjoyed some parts of this game at the end I found that I just couldn't get with it. There were just too many faults that kept reminding me that I am just not having as much fun as I should be. This game needed some focus. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Jeffsekai

What are the acivments like? I wanna keep my S rank

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kouerson

Four of them you'll get during a normal playthrough, including secrets. The fifth is a somewhat secluded quest tree that requires you to headshot 435 zombies.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Daouzin

Damn, no new level cap? How long did it take you to beat? I have alot to buy this time of year, is it worth the 10 bucks? 
    Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kouerson

It took me about three hours or so with a level fifty, you don't face anything over forty six. So I wouldn't suggest rolling through it with a fifty if you're looking for challenge. I enjoyed the humor and setting of it, more so than anything in the main Borderlands quest. The end boss in particular is very enjoyable, as pretty much all the dialogue held within the game.

I'd say it's certainly worth ten dollars if you were really into Borderlands like I was, but need new missions and objectives to drive you through. It's safe to say that it has more of a story than the main game, too. The opening storybook scene sets the tone for the rest of the DLC pretty quickly, the main storyline isn't always joke central but the side missions usually are. Especially all the ECHO recordings you find.

Even though I'm completely done with it now in less than six hours, I'm still satisfied with my purchase and the price point. Hopefully future DLC continues with the light-hearted and somewhat campy tone.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

The achievements aren't hard at all. I got mine at like 4 AM this morning when it updated here on XBL, I think it's because of my time zone or something. 

It's amazing guys, the world is pretty big for a DLC and it's even funnier than the original game. Like, insanely funny. The enemies are awesome, but I didn't have time to run through it with my level 50 Hunter who beat 2nd playthrough, so I think it'll be even better then.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm

Is this Zombie Island DLC end of game-specific content? I haven't finished playthrough 2 yet, so do I need to finish playthrough 2 to be able to play this?

Messier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Messier

You can fast travel to it as long as you are above Level 10, even if you haven't unlocked fast travel in the main story yet. The little intro story states that it occurs after the heroes finished their search for the vault, but that's about it.  

I went in with a level 40 and all the enemies were level 35-38. I only played up to meeting Dr. Ned this morning, but was digging the atmosphere and the humor. The spitting zombies really obscure your vision, and enemies in general rush you in bunches, but it shouldn't be too difficult to run through.  Had the game come out earlier, it would have been a perfect Halloween tie-in.

You can go back to Playthrough 1 and beat it even if you already finished a 2nd playthrough.  To me, it definitely seems worth it. The main game alone was worth more than the full price I paid for it. The DLC is fun and a way to encourage them to make more content and hopefully a sequel.
    Seraphim2150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Seraphim2150

I really liked it, if it was a bit easy. Seemed to be a DLC that Gearbox made to be funny

Avatar image for borderlandshunter
    borderlandshunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kouerson: I wanna clear some things up about this game. First of all for those who are saying they didn't face anything above level 46.......that's because you didn't complete the 2nd play through. I have beat every quest in the game on both play throughs and when i went to The Island every enemy is 50 or 51. Once you beat the 2nd play through there is no 3rd play through but the game resets and enemies are auto leveled to 50 and 51. This DLC is more than worth the $10 bucks.
    Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kouerson
    @borderlandshunter said:
    " @Kouerson: I wanna clear some things up about this game. First of all for those who are saying they didn't face anything above level 46.......that's because you didn't complete the 2nd play through. I have beat every quest in the game on both play throughs and when i went to The Island every enemy is 50 or 51. Once you beat the 2nd play through there is no 3rd play through but the game resets and enemies are auto leveled to 50 and 51. This DLC is more than worth the $10 bucks. "
    Eh I still wouldn't of had any problems with it though just due to the enemy type, I can handle 50 crimson lance easily with my soldier.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy
    @Kouerson said:

" @borderlandshunter said:

" @Kouerson: I wanna clear some things up about this game. First of all for those who are saying they didn't face anything above level 46.......that's because you didn't complete the 2nd play through. I have beat every quest in the game on both play throughs and when i went to The Island every enemy is 50 or 51. Once you beat the 2nd play through there is no 3rd play through but the game resets and enemies are auto leveled to 50 and 51. This DLC is more than worth the $10 bucks. "

Eh I still wouldn't of had any problems with it though just due to the enemy type, I can handle 50 crimson lance easily with my soldier. "  
    It'd different playing against Zombies that spit at you, distort your vision and slow your movement. Add into the mix Zombies that throw exploding barrels at you and constantly having enemies meleeing you, it's a lot different than fighting level 50 and 51 Crimson Lance who just shoot at you and take cover. After playing a bit of the DLC with all enemies at level 50 and 51 I have to agree with borderlandshunter and I can safely say that it's quite challenging, if not a little more challenging than the main game. Especially the part where you have to wait for the lift and there is an endless supply of Zombies coming out and they're all level 50, it's so awesome. 

Besides, when you beat the game on second playthrough you get much better drops so why not do it?
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By makari

The action in Island of Dr Ned is as solid as the main game, and the undead enemies and their little tricks and effects are a cool spin on it. The main issue I have with it is that, other than the offbeat humour in the storyline and side missions, there isn't really any tangible unique reward for max level characters. They could have at least given you some kind of in-game trophy or a few unique horror-themed items, but the mobs and bosses drop the same old stuff as in the normal game (usually a bunch of white junk that's good for merch fodder). The size of the package is pretty awesome for DLC standards, but the zones themselves are fairly empty content-wise. There's only one sidequest in most of the zones, and having only one or two things to do in each zone before you never have to go there again sort of makes those big zones feel really empty.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
    @Kouerson said:
    " It also seems that the Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains! mission is either broken or well hidden, as I never got it through my playthrough and I did all the missions. "
    The Brains quest line starts at the southwestern portion of Hallow's End.  There's a great surprise down there.  It's also a fucking GRIND.  None of the brains you've collected so far count towards it....and given that you've gotta get a total of 435 zombie brains to complete all the quests in the quest line...LOL... 

I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed this DLC, mainly for the laughs.  This DLC has more comedy than the base game does.  Best line in the game was from the Claptrap (Dr. Ned's Claptrap) at Jakob's Cove Bounty Board:  "Hey!  HEY!  (pauses, you look at Claptrap, Claptrap points at your feet) I pooped right where you're standing." 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Kouerson said:
    " It also seems that the Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains! mission is either broken or well hidden, as I never got it through my playthrough and I did all the missions. "
    The Brains quest line starts at the southwestern portion of Hallow's End.  There's a great surprise down there.  It's also a fucking GRIND.  None of the brains you've collected so far count towards it....and given that you've gotta get a total of 435 zombie brains to complete all the quests in the quest line...LOL...  I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed this DLC, mainly for the laughs.  This DLC has more comedy than the base game does.  Best line in the game was from the Claptrap (Dr. Ned's Claptrap) at Jakob's Cove Bounty Board:  "Hey!  HEY!  (pauses, you look at Claptrap, Claptrap points at your feet) I pooped right where you're standing."  "
    Haha, I like when you hear the Jakobs lady over the intercom saying how Jakobs shouldn't be blamed for all the deaths because they didn't evacuate the area, and how they are not a taxi service.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Karmum

Ah, so you can access the DLC in your second playthrough, even if you haven't beaten it yet? Do you have to get up to a certain point? Wouldn't matter though, I already maxed out my level, and if I had to get to a certain point, I'd almost be there.

Damn Gearbox, stealing my 1000/1000G away. :(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187
    @Karmum: Jeff pointed out in the QL that the difficulty scales, and you can play it on Playthrough 1 or 2.  You have to be at least level 10 to access it, and it is accessed via the Fast Travel system.  I didn't know any of that until I was watching the QL...while I was playing Zombie Island.  Man, I love this fucking Droid!
    Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kouerson
    @jakob187 said:

" @Kouerson said:

The Brains quest line starts at the southwestern portion of Hallow's End.  There's a great surprise down there.  It's also a fucking GRIND.  None of the brains you've collected so far count towards it....and given that you've gotta get a total of 435 zombie brains to complete all the quests in the quest line...LOL...  I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed this DLC, mainly for the laughs.  This DLC has more comedy than the base game does.  Best line in the game was from the Claptrap (Dr. Ned's Claptrap) at Jakob's Cove Bounty Board:  "Hey!  HEY!  (pauses, you look at Claptrap, Claptrap points at your feet) I pooped right where you're standing."  "
     Yeah I found the quest line shortly after I posted that and then grinded out all 435 brains. Took about fifty minutes with my quick reloading sniper and the route I kept running.

I polished off playthrough 2 and decided to start Zombie Island again, I'm still sort of disappointed at the difficulty of it. I managed to clear the area where Ned is lowering the elevator for you quite handily. Maybe my soldier and his  19.5 fire rate SMG + level 32 SMG proficiency are a little too savage.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187
    @Kouerson: Well, the enemies don't have any kind of guns.  I didn't die once in the whole thing, but it happens.  I think it was more about having fun and just jamming out some more Borderlands shit.  =  D
    bane63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bane63

Hands down the funniest part for me was the Frank 'n Bill joke.

ek21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ek21
    @Kouerson:
    Dude, i hear ya. All those zombies and one of you does sound unfair considering what you're packing lol.

Funny when you are trying to get outta dead haven and the count down lady said she forgot to do this and that, so, you are there mowing down zombies while waiting for a transport to get outta there. I do hope they make more of these DLCs.  

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Definitely have to agree on the DLC being funnier/better quality than the actual game.

I really wanted to come here just to put my thoughts though...anyone else get the feeling that everything else that happened in the DLC wasn't really real? Like, I could totally see it all being something that Marcus made up and told a bunch of kids at storytime...which leads me to also believe that everything in Borderlands (the main game) could be also entirely fabricated by Marcus. But, I guess that kind of stuff is suited for a more serious discussion.

AZChristopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AZChristopher
    @Karmum said:
    " Ah, so you can access the DLC in your second playthrough, even if you haven't beaten it yet? Do you have to get up to a certain point? Wouldn't matter though, I already maxed out my level, and if I had to get to a certain point, I'd almost be there.  Damn Gearbox, stealing my 1000/1000G away. :( "
    At level 39 I tried it in playthrough 2 and the zombies all started at level 42 or higher. Went to playthrough 1 an they were all around level 35. I decided to go for the challenge of playthrough 2 which has made it longer to get through since I had to use a little more strategy at first.

Brains mission is fun when playing with other people since any brain collected counts for the whole group.
    banzairyusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By banzairyusan

I just finished playthrough 1 last night. I did the Zombie Island right after that using the 1st playthrough.  I am currently at level 38 and find it quite easy with my Glorious Incendiary Machine gun, but then I ran into Lvl 38 2 of them Baddass Tankenstein's and none of my elemental guns worked on them or even my lvl 37 Eridian cannon that dealt 849 damage.  they also regenerate their health quite easily. I died very frequently.  they didn't follow after crossing the lowered bridge to Dr. Ned, however they ran in after i kept harrassing them thinking they wouldn't follow. x_x

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Damian
    @Kouerson: The soldier is a survival machine. Try surviving all that mess with a solo Mordukai. It's a bitch! He's the only one who doesn't have a suitable power to deal with the zombie apocalypse. You basically have to be (or become) a headshot pro to compete.
    I still made it through with Mord on playthrough 2.5 (by the skin of my teeth against the final, final boss). But I'm fairly certain it'd be easier with any of the other classes, most certainly Roland.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#38  Edited By Sin4profit

I played the DLC in playthrough 2 starting at lvl 38, i think it was, and the game was reeeaaally hard for me. Seems the level matching system's kinda strange to me. 

Though, ;like this post says, i really liked the atmosphere a great deal but there was a lot of obnoxious design decisions i found. If the DLC was too easy for you then you probably didn't notice any of them but it was really killing it for me. Main problem being that it seems any projectile that hits you slows your character for awhile, whether it be the tankenstein throwing something at you, or the zombies puking on you...which they can do with pin point accuracy from a fairly great distance...all these things are especially annoying as you're just trying to run to safety or run past a group of zombies.

Though it took me forever (seemingly), it was a pretty quick romp and not as content heavy as it seemed in writing but $10 is a fair enough price for what you're getting...i enjoyed it for the most part.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Shadow

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains is obtained from a familiar dude located at the edge upper-right edge of the map where you first meet Ned.
    syferonik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By syferonik

I love Borderlands s*itload but this DLC was a complet garbage....not only its boring but with out Braaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiinnns quest it would be a 1:30h DLC for 10$ i mean WTF is this? I killed Zed and was like hmm i am sure there is lots of quests left....nop ZERO left. Worst DLC i've purchased this gen!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.